From thy spirit shall they pass
No more, like dew-drop from the grass.

The breeze, the breath of God, is still,
And the mist upon the hill
Shadowy, shadowy, yet unbroken,
Is a symbol and a token.
How it hangs upon the trees,
A mystery of mysteries!

A shuddering white scent, of ghostly breath and stony silence: dry tea leaf, linden blossom, papyrus, orris and coffin wood.

This smells just like Maiden, minus all that nasty nasty carnation. I am so totally and completely thrilled by this discover.

I am terrible with reviews; to me this is lovely unsweetened black tea with an underpinning of white woods (the kind that have fallen off the tree but aren't totally dry and dessicated yet; they still have a touch of life to them) and a smidge of greenery.

Absolutely wonderful.

This blend is absolutely lovely.

At first I get a round green note, almost citrusy but not quite, that I'm guessing is the linden blossom. It smells like sunlight in early green leaves on a cold, breezy spring morning.

The wood is definitely light-colored and the tea leaves are dry and fragrant, but this is not heavy black tea by any means.

I can already tell that this is going to be a blend that seems to fade, then catches you with a gorgeous "What IS that? OH! It's me." surprise throughout the day.

I think the "dew-drop on the grass" from the poem is spot-on. There's also something almosy milky lingering beneath all of these notes.

As the blend morphs, the dry woodiness comes into play more.

Brava, Beth. This is pure gorgeousness, and I may have to break down and order another couple of bottles before the Demon moves out of view.

I could wear this every day. Thank you for this blend.

Edited by inkmonkeys

In the bottle: I smell the almost-lemony scent of green tea - already, this reminds me of Embalming Fluid.

On me: Yep. I guess I was expecting black tea, but on me, this definitely smells like green. As the initial sharpness of the tea mellows, I can smell the soft, clean scent of linden blossom, and a hint of the round note I've come to know (and love) as orris.

To me, this doesn't smell nearly as chilly and sad as the description led me to believe. To me, this is more like the "gleeful undead" of The Ghost... these smell like spirits that scuttle around cackling ("wheeeeee, we're dead! w00t, dead!") and making mischief. It's a pretty, uplifting scent, clean, fresh and joyous... in terms of color, I'm smelling pale yellow-green. A gorgeous, light scent - another I'll undoubted want to wear next spring.

This is great. Perfect clean scent. Almost like Embalming fluid, but much better. This is not lemony, its fresh light & the scent from the wafts are different than up-close. It really is beautiful & very versatile :P

Oh, I was so sad about this one. It turns into soap almost immediately on my skin-- nothing but soap and a vague, sweet, nondescript floral smell. :P

Linden essential oil is one of my favorites, and I was really hoping for that same smell in this blend. Ay!

Mmmmm, this was a good pick for my first Demon scent. When I first put it on, I get tea and a citrus scent which I would describe as a light lime (lighter than Envy) mixed with lemongrass. Immediately I thought of Shanghai and anyone who likes that, will love this. As it dries down it goes through a series of changes, sort of like variations on a theme rather than 90o turns. The tratness softens and some sweetness comes through, bringing out more of a real linden scent. Linden trees are called Lime trees in England but they don't smell exactly like limes. The linden scent is sweet and light and flowery and...aquatic? I didn't expect an aquatic scent from this because of the coffin wood (which I don't get, by the way), but there it is --- perhaps from the papyrus which I am guessing is calamus. It is a light scent, but it lasts without fading for four hours or so. Perfect. Thank you, Beth!

dry tea leaf, linden blossom, papyrus, orris and coffin wood.

hmmm in the bottle: tea leaves and a light floral

wet: citrus? lime? huh

as it dries, this is tea w/ lime. fresh squeezed lime it is crisp clean and not at all what i was expecting, it is actually almost a refreshing scent. not heavy in the least. i am not getting any woods, nothing deep. it is a light pale green scent

Initially, this is a very strong tea scent, and it's a citrussy tea - I might have guessed that this was grapefruit, and not tea, were it not for the description.

There is a light, kind of green, floral background to this, but within a few hours, this rather complicated scent has settles in very close to my skin, and is predominately a sweet musk. I don't know why it smells like sweet musk - it's not listed in the description - but it does smell divine, so I'm not going to complain.

This scent is going to be such a hit - if you haven't tried it already, you'd better get to it, because it's lovely.

I love this one. When I got my big box from my samhain order, I immediately opened all the bottles and sniffed then put on a pumpkin patch scent. But I kept smelling something really alluring that wasn't pumpkin--realized, finally, I'd gotten some of this on my fingers. How glorious it is!

In the bottle--tea and citrus. And that's pretty much how it smells on, though there is no citrus in it, so I don't know where the citrus note is coming from, though perhaps it is the linden blossom, since I don't know what that smells like. (A side note: lots of times our noses interpret a different note than is actually there--which I understand and am fine with--my citrus, Imbrium's musk, etc. But doesn't it annoy you when people insist there is something in the blend which isn't listed? Well, maybe its just me! But I'm pretty sure there are not "secret" notes that Beth isn't listing when she does list notes in a blend).

Anyway, I adore it. It reminds me of a refreshing, citrusy Dorian. Well, without vanilla. Ok, now that comparison sounds wierd, and now I'm not even sure Dorian does have vanilla and I don't feel like looking right now. It doesn't smell like embalming fluid to me, which is fine, because I didn't like that scent at all.

Let me end this rambling review by saying if you like tea notes, get this. It's lovely. Probably my favorite tea blend.

Finally, a semi-winner in the Demon series for me! This is like Embalming Fluid plus the cool, tart linden note of The Unicorn. (Also, the more I smell it, the more I think there might be linden in Empyreal Mist, because I am somehow reminded of that one, too.) It does pick up some slightly more dusty wood-like notes as it dries down. There's also just a teeny whiff of something bitter in the drydown -- I think I need to try this at a different time of month to get the full effect.

Spirits of the Dead

Sniffing from the bottle: Very reminiscent of Maiden, to my nose.

Upon application: That first impression is confirmed, this does indeed remind me a lot of the lovely Maiden. The tea is by far the strongest note, but I can definitely detect the citrussy tang of the linden flower, as well.

After a few minutes: Tea and linden. Yep.

A few minutes after that: Ah, and already it's starting to fade. :P Sadly, I have the type of skin that just soaks up these light, tea scented oils. Which is a shame, because I think they're so very pretty.

Conclusion: As much as I desperately want to wear a perfume called Spirits of the Dead, and as lovely as this smells, it just doesn't stick around on me. Stupid chemistry.

I get the refreshing tea scent from Spirits of the Dead that has been previously mentioned, but the light woody notes take over when the scent dries down, plus the scent doesn't last long on my skin. I think that I'll hold onto the decant, but I'm not sure about getting a bottle despite my love for non-lemony tea scents.

Yeuch,

wet I get strong strong lemon, like the scent of lemon throat drops.

I feel like I'm sick just smelling this.

Aside from lemon and a bit of honey I'm not getting much depth here. I get neither woods, nor florals.

Maybe the spirits of the dead have a head cold. :P

As this dries I get pepper.

If I really press my nose to my wrist I can almost smell something floral. The lemon aroma sits on top of it.

I just don't get tea out of this, I have to say.

Spirits of the Dead

Super strong delicious fresh tea at the beginning. Mouthwateringly yummy tea. It quickly faded into a pledge-y artificial lemony tea scent. As it dried a sweet fresh floral came out. It was quite brash at first with the strong tea notes, and now it is very very light.

I got a decant of this in the mail today from someone on livejournal, and I'm so, so very glad they decided to part with it. :D

in the bottle - smells like lemon, strongly citrus. can't smell tea at all -- am starting to suspect my idea of tea differs from the rest of the world's idea of tea. sort of dubious about the lemony smell.

wet - strange... the citrus smell does not smell nearly so lemony on my skin. instead, it smells like crushed, fresh leaves, which like.... oh, man. words cannot describe how much I love it. utterly besotted.

dry - it fades very quickly once dry into a soft, sweet scent (can't pick out notes, my nose is not talented enough), which is nice, but not mindblowingly cool like it is when wet. a pity. still, I like it enough to probably splurge on a bottle or two -- heck, I'll probably just keep it in my purse 24/7 so I can take it out and sniff at it at random intervals during the day :P

(of note-- I just put a bit on my shirt instead, and the fresh green scent seems to be lasting like this -- which might be cheating, but hey. as long as it smells good.)

Edited by monozuki

Who knew that Spirits of the Dead smelled like tea? In the imp it smells somewhat like The Apothecary. As it begins to dry, it smells a bit like Embalming Fluid. Fitting I suppose. Completely dry it's dusty and bone white. Perhaps a bit too dusty…I shouldn't try this one while I have a headache, because it is excaberating it. This is another evocative scent, this is the smell of walking through a dusty tomb filled with cobwebs. I will try this again, but I don't think that it will ultimately be for me.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.

this is a great scent.

in bottle: strong lemon tea. or lemonade iced tea.

wet on skin: the linden blossom is making me think lemon. I can smell the strong tea. there is almost a chilly ghastliness about it. like sharp winds, chilly but sunny winter days. it is also a dry smell.

dry: for some reason this took a long while to dry (well maybe because I had to put a lot on because I knew it would fade fast). I really like this scent, and I would probably wear it from time to time. I just wish it wouldn't fade so fast from my skin.

rating: 3.5/5

Spirits of the Dead

In the imp: tea! Tangy, refreshing white/green tea, it reminds me a bit of the Dormouse.

Wet on skin: it sweetens up nicely. I think that may be the linden coming out.

Dry: this is very pleasant! A tangy, tart tea note, almost like lemon or citrus, with a slight sweet floral scent that must be the linden. This combination of tea and a light sweet floral reminds me of the Dormouse. There’s a soft wooden base that isn’t obvious but gives the scent a contrasting dry aspect, whilst still remaining crisp, light and floaty. This is the lighter side of death, it seems, a wispy, yet fresh fragrance. I can’t detect the papyrus here-yet. I’m hoping that shows up…

After a while: the tea note tones down a bit, letting the subtler notes come through, like the light woods, the orris, the linden-and I get a bare hint of another greenish-dry note that may be papyrus. It gets slightly greener now as well.

Verdict: for a scent associated with the dead, this is a scent that’s surprisingly full of life! A fresh, light, tangy tea-based scent which is very wearable and pleasant smelling. Green or white tea is predominant but there’s also a linden note that adds a gentle floral sweetness, and a wooden base that grounds the fragrance. It’s both dry and a tad dusty (but in a good way) and also refreshing and quite moist in scent. This is a fragrance that’s perfect for spring and summer, and a great everyday perfume. I’m glad I have a bottle.

This is quite amazing.

In the bottle, I didn't think much of it.

Then I put it on. It was a symphony of light, smooth, pretty greenish yellow smell. Imagine if Vinland & Embalming Fluid made a baby? Yeah. It's light & leafy, but not super GREEN smelling leaves. Slightly yellowed leaves. There's a tinge of citrus note, from where I do not know.

I'm not getting a whole lot of wood or papyrus, but it's mostly gone at this point. I'll have to wear it again soon (woe! heh) and try to pay attention to the drydown a bit more closely. But I will say this is just wonderful and clean and pretty. Its a super neutral scent that everyone can wear.

I'm going to have to get the whole Throng, I think. Every one of these has been a complete hit so far!

I can't tell if it's Linden or the tea in this that is slightly lemony, not sharp citrus but more like soft lemon parfait. This is a soft, dry, very clean scent, far lighter than I expected out of a Poe poem and very spring morning fresh. It's lovely but not one of my favorites so off it goes.

at first: tea and wood. very dry.

on: some sort of tea and something almost lemony? this is lovely! very light and fresh. dry, too.

half an hour later: almost a candyish sort of lemon. really unexpected from the description.

1.5 hours later: not as sweet, but still very lemony.

overall: i adore this. i was a bit iffy on the description, but this is a fabulous light oil.

In the bottle and initial wear:

Green tea and a hint of lemon/lime.

(It's funny - the citrus wasn't strident on me at all. It had a soft, almost a touch floral, quality. Is this what linden smells like?)

After about an hour: the woody aspect creeps in, but never overtakes the initial notes. Just rounds things out a bit. I like it much more at this stage.

As others have mentioned - it is the light and airy aspect of the "spirit" world. Nothing foreboding here. And unique and lovely for spring or summer, I would think.

It's just not entirely me, somehow. And I can't even say for sure why.

In bottle: a soft woodsy floral and tea

Wet: the tea scent comes out more; it smells like something lemony wants to emerge, but I don't think there's lemon in it so it's probably a combination of notes

Dry: I think it's the orris not getting along with me, but the blend really does smell like old wood and paper, almost like a dusty bookstore with massive oak shelves and a small bowl of dried flowers and tea leaves in the center of the room.

Wet: Lipton Lemon Iced tea powder mix.

Dry: Lipton Lemon Iced Tea powder mix, with a breath of floral. Nicer than it sounds. Medium throw, but lasted only a half hour before it faded for good.

Edited by AlaskaSnows