Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Koumori

Maenad

Orgiastic mayhem in the extreme: sweet strawberry and orange blossom distorted by carnation, black poppy and hibiscus.

Wet, this is HORRID BUG SPRAY that made me cough.

Dry, it's sweet and lovely, a combination of fruit and orange blossoms.

I'm keeping the imp because it smells so good once it gets past the bug-spray stage.

In the vial: ripe strawberries!

Wet: ripe strawberries!

Dry: ripe strawberries.

A pleasant scent, but I wouldn't wear it as perfume. This might make a nice home scent.

I got this as a frimp in my last order.

When I first opened the vial, the scent did not impress me. In fact, it smelled an awful lot like nail polish remover. I didn't have high hopes for Maenad, but a few days later I decided I might as well give it a try.

Since then, I've worn it three times. Like I said in the Hidden Treasures thread, that says something because there are some imps from that order that I still haven't gotten around to wearing, and those are imps I specifically asked for, whereas this one was a random gift. There's something about this that is so addicting to me. It starts out as a mixture of strawberries and dark green notes, and as time goes on the greenery gives way to the florals, which somehow manage to keep the sweetness of the berries to a manageable level. Somebody on the first page said Maenad is reminiscent of childhood; I would agree because it reminds me of two things: 1) Strawberry Shortcake dolls and 2) the strawberry shampoo I used as a kid (I think they still make it... I'm tempted now to go buy some). And while the staying power wasn't great the first two times I wore it, it lasted all day today, probably because I slathered it this time.

In short, this was a surprise keeper, and now I don't feel so bad that I missed out on Strawberry Moon. I might even be tempted to get a bottle someday.

Edited by bristlecone

Ugh. Nothing but bubblegum and juicy fruit on me, with a hint of SweetTarts. Can't wear it, will be trading it on. I would've expected Maenad to smell like wine and leather; this is the exact opposite of that, and more appropriate for a seven-year-old.

preconceived notions: I thought this was going to be very bright and fruity. The name seems bright and orange-y to me. I just learned from Merriam Webster's that maenad can also mean "a raving, frenzied woman". Haha....that's awesome.

in the imp: Whoa. Very fruit-y, very orange-y, with an odd overtone of hairspray. Huh.

wet: Fruit Stripe bubblegum!

dry: Nice fruity scent, quite orange, with a background of warmth.

season: summer

office-friendly? Maaaaaybe. It's a little aggressively fruity. I'll probably keep this one for a weekend scent.

overall: A light, innocent fruity scent, with a background of spicy darkness. I really like this and will use the imp for sure.

Preconceptions: none.

Wet: confusing! Not sweet. Sort of reminiscent of going into Spencer's Gifts. I think that must be the strawberry note.

Drying: Not liking it.

Dry: too sweet and playfully youthful. Not for me.

I guess I am reaching my scent saturation point because I'm very satisfied with the scents I have and like so much so that everything else seems lagniappe, like it or not.

Holy strawberry lipgloss! At first this smells exactly like a very glossy strawberry lipgloss I had as a kid. The more it sits on my skin to more peppery and green it becomes. Still sweet strawberries but now it's becoming a deeper strawberry, like incense. Nice to smell but still to sweet for me to wear.

Something is sharp and green pepper-like on me at first, almost anise-like. I can smell the strawberry and orange blossom hovering in the back, but not a bit of carnation. The strawberry sweetens up on drydown, but something is still reacting wonkily with my chemistry. Got this imp for my daughter and she didn't like it either, so off to the swaps it goes.

This is sweet, very sweet. It reminds me vaguely of Akuma, only like Akuma's little sister, trying hard to be grown up but with none of the strength and only a little bit of the promise.

It starts out as a bit of spicy orange blossom, but it fades into strawberry and carnation. I like the carnation in this, but strawberry is far from my favorite note. It's terribly fleeting, too; barely fifteen minutes later, and my skin's all but devoured it. This one is, I think, a pass.

When I first put Maenad on it smelled like Christmas! Unfortunately as it dried down it turned really candy sweet. I might need to try this in a scent locket, because I really like it before it dries down.

In the vial: oh damn FLORALS!

On the skin: Strawberry hibiscus... which isn't bad, really. Just sounds odd. It's almost a burny smell to me, but I think that's the carnations (which I don't get along with) I'm not sure how to classify this one. I just can't breathe in too much of it.

Bottle: holy crow is that sweet - painfully sweet.

Wet: hibiscus and carnation at the fore, but backed up by a riot of sweetness.

Dry: the sharpness of the carnation and sweetness of the berry are combining on me in ways most unpleasant. it's so intense I can't quite pick out the separate notes anymore.

Later: strawberry and florals, still very sweet but much less sharp. This is turning into something like a cross between the old Strawberry Shortcake Doll scent and Loves Baby Soft on me. yikes.

bottle:

sweet and fruity

wet:

orange blossom, and fruit, almost melony

dry:

nice blend of fruit and floral, not too sweet. I like.

overall:

nice!

rating: 7/10

In the bottle: I really didn't like this one in the bottle. There was this sharp, corrupt sort of smell to it, like lettuce that you've left in the crisper for too long. It was a frimp, though, so no harm no foul. However, one day, I reread the description and thought, "Really? Strawberries and orange blossoms? Am I thinking of the same oil?" So I pulled out the imp and smelled it again, and got the same rancid lettuce smell. Yuck. Back into my box it went!

However, as I continued various work on my computer, I started to smell something sweet. Further investigation proved that my hand smelled quite nice! I must have gotten a little bit of Maenad on my hand when I closed the imp. So, I put some on and decided to try it out.

Wet on the skin: Still sharp and a bit icky, I'll be honest. Decided to wait it out, though.

Drying: Man, it doesn't take long for that "corrupt" smell to fade! I was totally stoked. The sweetness of the strawberry came through almost immediately.

Dry: Still strawberry, very reminiscent (for me) of Pink Phoenix, only it's not completely sweet: there's a little spiciness hanging out in the background... It must be the carnation? A much more subdued smell than Pink Phoenix (which is a bouncing, giggling sort of strawberry). And something (I can't put my finger on what, and it's bothering me!) reminds me of Christmas. ;p Who knows. ;p

Overall: Glad that I tried it! A nice fruity scent, not too strong, and not too sweet. I guess I'll just have to hold my nose while I'm putting it on!

7/10

on first sniff, in the imp -- all i get is black pepper and ashes

(i got a bouquet of carnations while i was in the hospital, once, and they were pretty but smelled so awful, all pepper and fire and mold -- so i'm guessing i just don't like that scent)

and that stage lasts for about five minutes...

then everything becomes Strawberry Shortcake! the dolls from when i was little, where everybody and everything was scented with their namesake scent, and this was the one i loved most.

somewhere between fresh strawberries, strawberry lipgloss, strawberry kool-aid :P and strawberry incense sticks

this would have been my favourite perfume when i was little!!

now, i like it, i'll probably get a bottle and wear it when i'm feeling very little or very silly. i'll just hafta remember to not sniff it for awhile when i put it on cuz that first part is very unstrawberrylicious.

Fruity, mainly strawberry, very sweet, comforting... For me, this stays much the same on me as in the vial, so didn't do separate categories for them. I don't know, but for me, this is somehow a happy, giddy scent, although it's supposed to be "dark, orgiastic mayhem" and is in the 'Diabolus' category!! It just makes me feel bubbly & happy, I don't detect any dark elements in it (and I'm glad I don't)... It's like a basket full of fruits in the summer.

(Crazy how these BPAL scents are so individual to each of us! :P)

The first few minutes Maenad is all about the strawberries. Fresh, ripe strawberries . . . Just perfect! The other notes balance the brightness just enough, making it something enjoyable and complex. Unfortunately, it doesn't stay that way; after those first few giddy minutes, the scent changes on me, transforming into a dead ringer for strawberry Pez.

i received this as an extra from someone in a swap. all i'm smelling is strawberry, with something underneath that i can't quite place. this just smells like strawberry shortcake doll on me. very little girlish. and i am not into fruity scents, so yeah this one isn't me.

In the imp: Cough syrup. Medicinal sweetness.

On the wrist, wet: Cough medicine. Robitussin, specifically.

Drydown: Dried robitussin.

Final Analysis: Not for me, my nose refuses to smell this properly. My skin chemistry has butchered another one? Off to the swaps.

Oh no! I'm so scared when I first put Maenad on. It smells like strawberries and.... vetiver?! My arch nemesis! That burning tire smell of vetiver.

But I can't go scrub it off. I booted up Guitar Hero right after I slathered, and now all my concentration is fully focused on trying to play (BS my way through) Smoke on the Water well enough to move on. I do notice throughout the song that I get pure strawberries wafting up to me and no vetiver.

When I beat the song, I sniff my wrists again and there's no longer any heavy chunky burning rubber smell. Mostly it just smells like strawberries. To my nose, Maenad smells exactly like Pink Phoenix. So does that mean that my skin amps strawberries, of all things?

Gift imp from lab (thank you!!). Again, good thing, 'cause I wouldn't have picked it.

Bottle: Strawberry! Kind of sweet and boozy, though. I'm a little worried.

Wet: Ooof. Like rotting, slightly moldy strawberries. Something dark under them - is that the poppy? I adore strawberries, but if I saw these in the store, I sure wouldn't be tempted.

Dry-down: Wildness of that strawberry smell, tamed/darkened by poppy. Not quite as sweet this time (it was super-super-sweet melted candy smell last time I tried it).

Dry: Still slightly boozy, unrestrained, darkened (poisonous?) strawberries. Interesting concept in a bottle. Well done!

Verdict: People have mentioned both goth Lolita and little girl tea parties. This smell has more ominous foreboding in a somewhat innocent exterior than little girls' tea party to me. I can totally see this as the Maenads who tore Orpheus to shreds. I like it better this time than the last, but it's also that time of the month. I guess a third try is warranted before it goes to the swap pile, but it's not worth more than this imp to me; cool concept, but fruity/boozy is just not my kind of smell.

Wet: Cough drops.

Dry: Cough drops dusted in baby powder. :P

It does have good throw and lasting power.

Maenad - Lovely scent! Maenad is a terrific fruity BPAL fragrance. It smells lovely in the vial, but when I first put it on, it takes on a terribly rank and stale odor, but that fortunately dies down within the first few minutes. After that, just the tiniest bit on my wrists, and my entire being is swathed in a veil of sweet (but not cloying because it's muted by the poppy) strawberry and orange blossom for hours. Staying power seems to be about 5 hours. If you're a fan of BPAL's Strawberry Moon or Bon Vivant you may find this a truly delightful oil.

The imp smells like strawberry bug spray. The bug spray smell fades away on my skin, but the fruit smells overripe. Sugar-dipped strawberries just beginning to rot.