Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
olympia301

Anthelion

Overcomes poverty, illness, and bad luck. Drives off despair and grief, and enables you to find hope and joy in life again.

OK, I just got an imp of this in a swap and am I ever glad I did!

The first part of the day was just crap. It settled down and during lunch I tried the imp. I don't know if it improved the day but it did improve my mood! It is gorgeous! I don't know what the notes are but there is definitely a sweet one there. And something familiar. But it is incredibly gorgeous. I sort of passed up emotional blends in favor of 'real world' blends but I can see that changing!

The scent is incredible. I'll have to try it as the site suggests and in other way.

It smells like musky lavender with clove in it.

I dabbed some on two chakra points and just thought about myself and what I wanted. It basically boiled down to me thinking about 'being happy'.

This is a very comforting and uplifting scent. And I agree with Oly's review... you don't get a voice from the heaven thundering down on you but you do get a reassuring nuzzle on the head, which is comforting and revitalizing.

I've been doing a job search for the past few weeks and anyone knows how much that can suck. This is making today's search so much more bearable.

I'll edit this to see how it works the rest of the day but I can tell you already, I feel better and I usually get some sort of mild doldrums because of winter.

ETA: 2013

So it's been six year since I've gotten some Anthelion, and I have a partial. I only bust this out when I need a day when I really need the world to be OK, either because it's been rough professionally and personally. And it invariably helps. I don't think it just immediately reverses your fortunes, but often times acts as that respite you really need to keep going.

Edited by zankoku_zen

This is so wonderfully beautiful, it's reassuring just by scent alone. I agree with all the other reviews that describe this as lavender and clove, but it all melds together into something incredibly warm, soft, and soothing. I really need this today - I have a ton of work to do that I've been putting off (which always makes tackling it that much harder), and I woke up feeling kind of panicky about an upcoming review at work, which makes me just want to hide on the internet and not do anything. I'm not very practiced with formal rituals, so I've anointed myself, including the back of my hands (I'm on the computer so much that anything on my wrists just rubs off on the keyboard rest - though my computer smells nice!), and when I feel a bit panicky, I sniff the back of my hand. It makes for a lovely calming, grounding moment. We'll see how well it helps me function over the rest of the day, but I already love this so much I had to come here and post about it. I think I may have to add to my credit card debt and buy a bottle!

In the vial:

Herbally

On me:

I'm currently only reviewing the scent of Anthelion, not it's magical/ritual effect (as I have not used it as such just yet). Lavender is definitely prominent in this scent - it's what jumps out at me first and foremost and accounts for that herbally smell I got in the vial. But then a more spiced scent becomes apparent - it does smell like allspice to me as well - like clove and nutmeg and cinnamon. With the lavender, it's such a unique blend but with a rather soothing and yet uplifting effect. Someone else mentioned "Christmas incense" and I have to agree - those spices definitely make me think of the holidays, and that ALWAYS lifts my spirits!

Final note:

Even as a perfume I like Anthelion - I could see myself wearing this to lift my spirits. It makes me think of the holiday season!

Someone gave me a sniffie of this in a swap but I didn't give it much of a sniff until months later. I fell instantly in love with it.

The smell of Anthelion is mostly lavendar and clove. Just like everyone else has said before me, they come together in a beautiful and complex way. It suggests to me that there is much more to this oil, and that it was expertly blended.

Magically and aromatherapily it's like a big soft hug. I know sometimes I really feel like I need a hug and when I do, this is what I will be reaching for. It's a fragrance that I wouldn't mind my apartment smelling like most of the time. It's a peaceful and grounded. If it were perfume I would seriously consider making it my signature scent. As it is a powerful magical force, I will instead invoke it's spirit whenever I feel down.

In short, this is awesome.

Scentwise: I love this. I get the same lavender, clove, something nose-clearing, something creamy. The scent by itself is comforting, sweet, clean, even mildly sedative. As aromatherapy alone, this would be useful to me and my PTSD anxieties, and that's some heavy-caliber relaxation!

As a TAL: For the last couple of years, since my mother died, the week or so around her birthday and Mother's Day has been like being dragged over little sharp bits of glass. Even with the small amount of TV I watch, the "Buy your mother a ___" commercials from that, and the print ads in the newspaper, are torture. So I tried this both on white candles and on pulse points to create a soothing aura. I don't know what principles of aromatherapy or whatever else were used when creating Anthelion; all I know is I'm damn grateful for it. It didn't make either day exactly perfect, but it made it easier to detach, meditate, and look at the beautiful things my mother so enjoyed about this month -- many of them flowers! Using the scent to bring myself back to calming thoughts turned out to be a highly useful technique, because the scent itself had such an inviting, insistently positive presence. Something that can make a hard time just a little bit easier is really all I ask at this point -- and Anthelion does that.

Thank you, Lab. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :P

this is a truly amazing scent and oil.

scentwise, it's quite beautiful - lavender, clove, maybe vanilla. whatever it is, it's like a warm fluffy blanket that just wraps itself around you and helps you feel better. everytime I wear this I feel better, calmer, soothed, more at peace. this is an amazing effective oil. today of all days, terribly stressed - my car caught fire and I'm looking at a hugely expensive car repair bill. it doesn't seem so bad and I'm assured there will be a way through this. I have no doubt, this oil has helped me see that, as it has through stressful times in the past when it seemed there was no hope. I strongly believe in this oil and am grateful for the clarity it helps to provide to see though the mist and clouds.

The most effective TAL I've played with. And it smells beautiful. It's one of the few lavender scents that don't bug me- and putting it on feels as comforting as wrapping myself in a soft warm blanket fresh out of the dryer as a kid. Things just don't seem as hectic or prickly or irritating when I'm wearing it.

Scent: I don't have the imp with me know but I remember this smelling slightly citrusy & herbally. Quite a pleasant smell but not one I'd usually go for say it were a perfume.

Effect: Well the one time I used this when I felt crap & was crying I immediately felt a bit better & stopped crying which is odd because I didn't intend to stop crying. Then I went to sleep & could see things a little clearer in the morning. So all in all this is very comforting & the time I used it I think it worked.

I've today given this to my Grandma as she is in an awful state & still trying to cope living by herself. She's had depression for years but she's letting it get her really ill & is stopping taking her medication & stuff :P . I know she probably doesn't have long left but she needs this imp of Anthelion much more than I do & I really hope it helps her.

This is dominantly clove and camphor on me, which sounds unpleasant but it isn't. There's a backdrop of lavender and cinnamon. It's very soothing and pleasant, if somewhat medicinal smelling.

As far as effectiveness, my experience has been inconclusive either way, but if nothing else it certainly is effective as simple aromatherapy - the scent soothes frazzled nerves and sullenness, the camphor clears the sinuses a bit and gives a cooling sensation. I have the sense of being a cranky and feverish and over-stimulated child, and I've just been given my favorite teddy and a cool drink.

Well, I got a partial decant of this and this morning was my first time trying it out. I am in the middle of a huge project that is really stressing me out, plus, I've been waiting for a call back about a job I am trying to get (I have been mostly unemployed for 3 months now).

About 10 minutes after putting it on, I found out that I am being called back for a second interview! :P

The scent is amazing and like others have said, calming and reassuring. I get lavender and clove, big time, but it seems really creamy and soft..if that makes any sense.

I am now looking at this project with a sense of calm rather than OMGHOWCANIDOTHIS?!?

I am definitely going to be getting a bottle of this.

This smells soooo good. It's almost all clove on me, and it's the first clove blend I've tried that doesn't go all funny on me (and I LOVE clove, so this makes me happy). Beautiful!

I've been wearing this a lot this week as I'm trying to get over some odd flu-like but not quite illness, and I'm feeling a lot better today, so maybe it's having some effect. Worn to bed, it's very warm and comforting. And the scent last for ages. My nightshirt that I just put into the laundry smelled very strongly of clove.

I love that this smells so warm and non-medicinal because it can be worn out and about too. I plan to wear it next time I have to fly!

i haven't tried many TALs yet, so bear with me. in the decant something herbal, with some almond. on my skin i think i smell clove, almond and maybe myrrh? it's very soft and comforting scent, and makes me feel a bit more centered and calm. i think i will try it when i go to sleep tonight.

Edited by theseagrows

Bottle: Herbally

Wet: I annointed all of my chakra points. It's very herbally/voodoo/aquatic.

Drydown: Might be a bit of camphor or lavender in it. It's pretty subtle on me. I'll edit later as to the effects.

ETA: I seemed happier today. I wasn't depressed although I was a bit emotional.

Edited by Honeygirl

Anthelion works for me in a way that White Light didn't. Scent wise it's a gentle, candied lavender with a hint of camphor and spices (primarily clove). Overall, it's a soft, fresh, soothing scent. In regards to effects, it also works gently, as opposed to sudden drama. My life has been full of complications lately: there have been deaths, illnesses, and crises in my extended family, I've had a number of vehicle and veterinary expenses, and most recently I lost my beloved dog, who I doted on. Opportunities have opened up where needed, though -- overtime and a side contract are paying the bills, and wearing Anthelion makes even the worst of the grief more bearable. It's not a startling or quick acting blend, but it works. Highly recommended.

Edited by greywind

The description of this sounded quite appropriate for the particular place I'm at in my life -- the ending of a six-year relationship, with all the attendant emotional baggage and practical hassles (moving etc.) that brings, while also being tight on money due to moving costs and an expected payment from a client not having arrived. So I was really, really happy to get my package of TAL decants with this in it at the peak of that time.

After looking everything over, I decided this was definitely the one to try first. I applied it to my wrists as I do with perfumes, but also to my heart, solar plexus and third-eye chakra points.

First impression: even just as a scent, this is lovely. There's a strong lavender top note, with an undercurrent of warm incense. It's both relaxing and somehow cozy and comforting at the same time - just sniffing it makes me feel better.

Having now worn it a number of times, I can say that it also works very well in the sense of banishing despair and grief and helping you find happiness. It's like a scent antidepressant. I'm not sure how far I've really gotten on the banishing poverty front, but the big payment I was waiting for did come in, and I've got a fair bit of work on my plate right now, which should also help. Of course, getting the work done in a timely manner is another story entirely, but I think that's where other TALs like Clarity, Concentration and Determination might come in...

Anyway: overall, very pleased with Anthelion. I'll definitely be looking to pick up a bottle of this, and would recommend it to anyone else who's dealing with a difficult time in their life.

Grade: scent A, effectiveness A

This has been a rough week. I forgot to put on bpal before leaving the house, but--surprise--found an Anthelion decant in my purse that I didn't even know was there. I felt better as soon as I put it on, just started unwinding and feeling more positive about the direction of things. The whole day felt a little better. Lots of the same frustrations and annoyances as the rest of the week, but I was able to be more detached about them and therefore handle them better.

I spent three weeks in the Arctic during the summer, meaning the sun was always up. Some people on the trip had trouble sleeping, which can happen, but I was fine. By day 2 or three, I felt just blissed out. Things were happening, things I had to fix and they made my life difficult, and the people I was with who weren't sleeping were becoming monstrous to be around, but it really didn't hurt me, it just sort of rolled off and I was able to handle things much more effectively by feeling the way I was. That's the closest parallel I can give for the effects of Anthelion. Of course, sadly, eventually you have to return to where the sun sets or the Anthelion wears off, but there's some lingering goodness and I like it.

As for the smell, it's beautiful. It has a really strong throw on me for the first hour or so. I get spicy carnation-y white gorgeousness, which is different from what most people have said, but honestly after 15 minutes or so, it smells like I put on Lush's Potion Lotion while wearing a sprig of lavender. I really love this, for scent and for practicality.

Love love love this one. I bought a rather aged bottle (unsniffed) and the scent is rather faint - but still lovely! A calming, smooth lavender. I like slathering myself in it before bed.

Well, I can't speak for them properties of the oil. Cause I don't believe in all that jazz. So, I tend to stay away from the TAL's. There are a few I have as superstitious good luck. I'm like a living catch 22, aren't I? I got this in an ebay win, and decided to give 'er a go.

As a scented oil, it's rather odd. Not in a, "EW! Hot dogs!" kind of way, but in a "What the hell is in there?" kind of way. Initially I got menthol. As a lingering scent I smell pine. On top of that it's something numbing. That's the best way to explain it. Maybe the scent reminds me of something that has that property? Hmm. Odd.

I haven't used Anthelion in a while, but when I did use it, the effect was pretty awesome.

Last year I had a mild depression. Nothing appealed to me. Granted, I had a shitty job, but I started to hate my hobies as well. I lost my concentrationa and appetite and wanted to give up.

I used Anthelion to anoint myself. I didn't use it in a ritual, I just took a quiet moment to still my mind, and apply it.

The effects were not lightning speed, but within weeks things started looking up. My situation didn't change, but I was able to handle the shitty bits, and to find small joys again; incredibly precious when you haven't had those for a while.

several weeks later I got counceling, and things have improved a lot since then, of course. But that first nudge was desperately needed, and I'm glad I had Anthelion handy for that.

Edited by Tesseljoan

Scent-wise, I get the same lovely lavender of Yvaine with some sweet, warm spices, the kind of spices that make a freshly-baked pie or gently simmering holiday potpourri so appealing. I would wear this oil for the fragrance alone.

But as a lovely bonus, the effect is perfectly matched to the scent; I call it Hug-in-a-Bottle because it's precisely that. Anthelion has the sweetest, most loving energy of all of the TALs I've tried. If your particular breed of depression and ennui is best helped by loving-kindness, as opposed to the 'purification' effect of White Light or the 'courage inspiring' effect of Lionheart for example, I would recommend Anthelion most of the Joy and Inspiration blends. I wear this oil when I feel lonely and misunderstood, and it really helps, like being wrapped in a warm blanket when you're very cold.

Lavender, Black Musk, Clove and a touch of Rosemary. Actually this smells a lot like Khandita from Lupercalia (of which I love). The two are very much related scent wise.

When I wear Anthelion, I read it as nutmeg...although I could see clove as well. Anyway, scent is not too important to me. As long as it isn't headache inducing, we're so good to go when it comes to ritual oils.

This one has been sort of a foundation for me in the last two months. I had bought a bottle specifically for being broke but it is so much more to me. It's a strong pair of arms, keeping me from collapsing. I wear it on my root chakra and on my heart chakra, and then press it to my temples. It's not an explosion, but a steady, stable blend. It'll be okay.

I agree with teamilk that the spicy note smells much more like nutmeg than clove. I say this with authority, because I am allergic as hell to cloves and I can slather myself in this and not break out. Still in the "pumpkin pie spice" family though.

I love love loooove this oil. It's an instant pick me up. This is my third one and I'm sure it won't be my last.

~Diamond~

As usual with me, because this is a TAL, I will review its efficacy first and foremost.

This oil is AMAZING. It works. I've used it several times when I am feeling especially weighed down, and the effects are immediate.

I start by grounding & centering, then I anoint my chakras and pulse points while chanting something affirming. Next I bring my wrists to my nose and inhale deeply, picturing a pure white light coming in with the scent. Any tightness in my solar plexus area (where I carry tension) immediately vanishes and I have a profound sense of wellbeing that stays with me.

I love, love, love Anthelion and plan to never be without it.

As an afternote, the scent is just gorgeous, too; both soothing and stimulating and perfect for what it is meant to accomplish. It smells like my spiritual 'home'. It works on all levels and I recommend it very highly.

Edited by OctoberGwen