Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A dark and bellicose scent that speaks of loss, lament, bitterness and breast-beating woe: thick black vetiver, sharp white musk and lemon peel, smoke and saffron, patchouli, thyme and black plum.

I didn't buy this when the collection came out; I was a bit put-off by the vetiver's description of being thick & heavy. Needless to say, dumb move on my part! This is suprisingly soft & pretty!

In the bottle: I can definitely detect vetiver. There is a barely-there indication of lighter notes, most likely the lemon.

Wet: Vetiver... but earthy and rich. And not as oil-slick heavy as I would have guessed. The lemon & white musk lift it and bring the balance to a happy medium.

Drydown: This becomes softer; the spices & musk combine with the vetiver in a wonderous way that keeps this from being terribly masculine (not that I'd mind!) and give it a nice soft, feminine wearability. This is truly a suprise love! It's really nice, and the saffron adds a really beautiful richness & depth to it.

Edited to add description. =) Edited by Shollin

Bottle: musk and patchouli and plum - lovely.

Wet: smoke and lemon coming up behind, dark and warm. this is gorgeous..sorrowful.

Dry: vetiver apparent behind the musk and patchouli. I hope it doesn't amp like usual - a girl can dream, can't she?

Later: the vetiver isn't taking over nor shifting on me in unkind ways! might this actually be a blend with vetiver I can wear?!?? oh joy!!

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Surprising!

Preconceived notions: The vetiver, smoke and lemon will likely be the death of Lenore for me, but I'm curious about the musk, saffron and plum.

In the imp: Vetiver! Beneath that, lemon peel, smoke, patchouli and musk. Not good musk. This cannot end well.

On skin, wet: First off, this is strong. Almost entirely vetiver, though it leaves a bit of room for lemon, smoke, patchouli and musk to peek in and wave their Shannon-hating tentacles around. The saffron beneath it is lovely, however, and I catch a drift of plum now and then.

On skin, dry: As it dries, it calms down considerably. It becomes richer, thicker and sweeter, and the plum takes on a more active role. It's still very smokey, but it's not an incensey smoke, or a heady smoke, but a warm, sweet smoke. The saffron lends spice to it, and patchouli grounds it. There's something distinctly cold around the edges, and I catch it when I sniff for a solid few seconds. I think it's the lemon peel, or the musk. My only complaint is that the patchouli lingers dangerously close to "dirty hippie" territory, brown-green as it seems to be here.

Conclusion/Notes: I like this much more than I'd ever anticipated. All the same, I'm not head-over-heels for it. If it were still available, I'd probably buy a bottle, and if I see it for sale for a reasonable price, I'll consider it, but I won't be stalking it down on Ebay.

Lenore smelled really awful in the vial, and when I put it on, it was all vetiver and smoke. But unfortunately, this scent is not going to work on me. I don’t care for vetiver or smoke. I would have washed it off – but I tried and it won’t go away. It lasts and lasts and lasts. Even after many attempted washings, it’s still got some gung-ho throw. I’ll be passing this one along.

Lenore

in bottle: patchouli, vetiver, and thyme

wet: musk and vetiver...smells very medicinal

dry: an interesting, dark blend of thyme, vetiver, musk, and smoke...I wish I could smell the lemon and plum

verdict: I like this, but I'm not sure it's me...I may imp some of this out for swaps, since I don't see myself using the whole bottle

First sniff: Based on the scent description, it’s very much a toss-up as to whether Lenore will work on me at all. And the vial-scent seems to be all the notes that don’t: vetiver and smoke, and even the patchouli is a bit too dirty.

Wearing: Ooh, that’s better. The aura is all white musk and lemon. However, it developed a bizarre cedary note as it dried, and the end result was decidedly not me.

In the vial: Smoke, heavy vetiver, and patchouli.

On the skin: I accidently spilled some on hands and suffered the whole evening. Vetiver can be very good or very bad for me. This was a dark dark scent, heavy and almost overpowering. Either way, it doesn't work for me.

Even as a vetiver lover I passed this one up, snarling at the citrus and thyme. Someone gave me an imp of this, and even the first time I tried it I dismissed it. I've just tried this for the second time.

I like how the vetiver and patchouli deepen this blend. I can smell the lemon peel (and it's not sour or too clean-smelling, surprise!) and musk. The smoke mingles so well with the vetiver that I can hardly separate them. The saffron, thyme and plum are pretty much non-detectable to me but I'm certain they add a femininity to the blend that might not otherwise exist. Essentially, Lenore is a "perfumey" blend but with deep earthy roots which I can really appreciate.

:D Oh my, be still my heart. Vetiver to the Nth degree. I've never smelled it as a single note and that would be very interesting. But, I love everything I find it in. I get vetiver and smoke or is it smoky vetiver? Then on dry down, a lovely dry wood quality. I can tell there is more depth to this voluptous blend, but that is what I can distinguish.

I did not read the poem before trying the scent and I got a distinct imagery to go with it. I can clearly see a beautiful gypsy woman, standing in a doorway in shadow, waiting to beckon someone into her small house lit brightly by a fire. To tell fortunes, to seduce, to sell a charm, whatever happens to be desired - IF she also desires.

:P I am in LOVE with this... :D

On my skin this is strong and odd smelling. I figure that it's the vetiver, thyme and patchouli. It is such an odd smell, but rather compelling and I can't stop sniffing my arm. It takes a few hours to morph, but then it becomes a fruity blend with the musk and the saffron adding a rather exotic aroma. Different, but beautiful and dark and I'm glad that I was able to locate a bottle.

I really didn't think I was going to like this...see what happens when you try new things :P It's a fresh, incense-type scent that softens up nicely. It's got a stark, winter feel to it. I love it

I got a partial bottle awhile back, and just decided to give it a try tonight, finally.

Wet: I got a very strong musky smell that was absolutely overpowering. So much so that it made the back of my throat go dry. Never had that happen before.

Dry: On skin, it just didn't change very much. I was hoping it'd be a nice combination of the vetiver, patchouli, plum, and lemon. Instead, I got thyme and patchouli. Lots of thyme, actually.

I was hoping this would work on me from the description, but unfortunately, it didn't. Argh.

imp: WHOAH! Strong and hard to pin down. Do I smell wood? herbs?

wet: RUBBING ALCOHOL!!!!

dry: SAME! (Hubby says later that it reminds him of the novacaine swab that the dentist uses)

Gets spicey after about an hour and 40 minutes.

Verdict: disappointing.

There are way too many dark, thick, sludgy notes in here. I do smell saffron, though. And thyme. They're the most prominent and immediately recognizable notes. Unfortunately, I'd rather eat these herbs than smell like them.

Lenore smells vaguely green and herbal to me. I would never be able to pick out individual notes in this blend. It's well blended but on my skin turns kind of stale. Really all I can pick out is maybe the thyme...but I never would have guessed that it has vetiver. It keeps reminding me of some other GC blend....I want to say Black Tower although I don't think they have notes in common. Maybe it's just in the sense that they are both complex but blended to the point that they become kind of indistinct on me, and both turn just a little stale on my skin.

Lenore is weird on me. I think I'll give someone else a shot at it.

In bottle: Lemon and vetiver, with a touch of plum.

On me: Whether or not I'll like this scent will largely depend on whether or not lemon rears its head - I hate lemon, but I love all the other notes. *sniff* Dammit to hell, the lemon is right on top. Herbals underneath. Not getting the patchouli or plum at all - sob! Semi-aquatic, good throw, but unfortunately the lemon kills it for me.

Wow, I don't know if it's just my allergies, but this one gave me a sneezing fit!! This blend goes almost all vetiver on me, unfortunately, because vetiver is one of my skin's worst enemies. There is a very dark, smoky feel to Lenore. The lemon peel lies just below the vetiver, and gives the undertones a light, citrus kick. There are some deep florals floating through the background.

This is a strong blend (sneeze!) with quite a bit of throw, as vetiver blends usually are. This is definitely not my kind of thing, but I do think this beautifully represents the idea of Lenore.

It was the vetiver that sold me on this one. I love vetiver but didn't have any scents where it was a predominant note. I'm always cautious about lemon, since my skin likes to rev it up to top speed, but I have several blends where lemon has treated me very nicely, so I went for it.

But wow, what a fascinating and beautiful scent.

In the bottle its very rich and dark. I pick up hints of patchouli and musk barely tinged by lemon. It smells almost resiny in the bottle, but when it hits my skin it goes very herby. Very very herby - but in a heady, overpowering way. Its almost like an apothecary's cabinet, dark and mysterious with all sort of wonders waiting to be discovered. There's just a hint of the medicinal, but not in any bad way - it actually adds to the mystery.

And surprise! No lemon at all.

The drydown is gorgeous. Still darkly herbal with the vetiver and thyme, but I start to pick up the patchouli again. The saffron adds bit of a twist, and there is something very melancholy about this blend, but beautifully and mysteriously so.

This is another unique and unusual fragrance that I know I'm going to cherish.

Vetiver, vetiver, and more vetiver. It is so masculine! Also, the vetiver is trying to kill the lemon. So much clashing of notes! And it's so so strong!

It's an angry, vicious blend, at least on me. Way too scary.

hmm, i've made friends with vetiver recently, but i am not really liking it in this. perhaps it's the combination of it with the patchouli, but i get a sour earthiness from this and something is sending off that pencil shaving scent.

Lenore (LE)-

In Bottle: Very "cologne"-y, sharp.

Wet: Lemon and herbs.

Dry: Soft and pretty on the dry-down, sweet, a little honey-ish, a tiny bit of the plum. Herbal, just a touch of the patchouli. Overall a nice soft blend, and surprisingly different from the bottle scent (yay)!

Overall: Not one I'll wear a lot but a nice scent.

Not a review for the (new) retail-only; I got to try this imp through the Civet Evangelism Sniffing Circle courtesy of Moonarcana!

in imp: herbs, musk, lemon. hmm.

on wet: 12:44 - herbal floor cleaner? Not pine, lemon. Not too sure about how this will react on my skin. Ah, my first impression of this scent is "shampoo for blondes: lemon, chamomile, etc."

drydown: 12:55 - Still smells kinda like that shampoo, but now more like that shampoo scenting someone's hair - there's a light musk scent that just smells of clean hair.

1:24 - add pencil shavings to the lemon-n-herb washed hair. Heh. This reminds me of Roman Dirge's Lenore!

1:55 - blonde wood with just a hint of lemon-hair. This has become nice!

From Dark Delicacies.

Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous.

Smoky, herbal, with a slight hint of fruity sweetness. The saffron is fantastic. Love this blend, earthy and rich, and very wearable.

(Dark Delicacies resurrection of Lenore)

In the decant: Bright, sharp, clear.

Wet: Weirdly floral, like a fresh gardenia or almost honeysuckle. After a moment or two this is clearly one of the brightest patchoulis I have yet smelled from the Lab.

Drydown: I don't get much of the plum. The vetiver and smokiness rise up after a few minutes.

Nearly Instant Verdict: Gorram it, this is gorgeous. It's difficult to explain why, because it's into that realm of sharpness I would almost call medicinal, yet I really, crucially need about 18 million bottles.

I've been waffling on making a review of Lenore for quite some time because it is so damn hard to describe. But it is SO wonderful!

Lenore is oddly fresh and dark at the same time. Vetiver and white musk prove to be a winning combination. The lemon peel is so light and barely there. On my skin, this must be the lightest vetiver ever. I do like vetiver as a note, but it's very hard for me to find a vetiver that I think is totally wearable on me. This is perfect. I know there aren't floral notes, but there is a floral feeling to me. And the smoke that poofs up is just... mmmph. Smoky, musky shades of grey. I even can't believe there is plum in here- I normally hate plum and can smell it a mile away. Saffron comes in quite later on, cementing my love for this. The sexy, doomed fade-out it leaves on my skin is huff-worthy.

This feels like a mature woman, quietly contemplating in a dark room alone, almost depressing. Just gorgeous. This has the complexity of a good Salon. If I didn't have a million more things to think about buying this season, I would purchase a lifetime stock in Lenore.