In thy glory afar,
And dearer thy beam shall be;
For joy to my heart
Is the proud part
Thou bearest in Heaven at night,
And more I admire
Thy distant fire,
Than that colder, lowly light.

A chill, crystalline nocturnal perfume: moonflower with oriental poppy, fairy lily, orris and night gladiolus.

Label: Evening-Star.jpg

In the bottle: Oh yes! YES! Err...sorry, excuse me. I let myself get a little carried away there. This smells very nice though, so I'm sure you can forgive me, yes? Ah, it's such a light, beautiful scent in the bottle, very much a night-time fragrance. Oh, such a gorgeous floral.

Wet, on skin: Even more gorgeous, because it hits my skin and does NOT morph into something hideous. Rather, I feel this a serene fragrance, and yes, very much chill, very much crystalline, very much beautiful. I think someone who doesn't normally love floral scents might still adore this.

Dry, on skin: It deepens, but never becomes cloying, never becomes over-the top. This fragrance is sophisticated without being gauche, mature without being stale, elegant without being boring. It is very much amazing. It doesn't seem to have a terrible strong throw, but there are times when I frankly don't want my neighbors smelling me.

Conclusion: Just beautiful.

In the bottle: I smell a light, pleasant... soap? Why yes. That would be soap. Mind you, I kind of like soapy scents on occasion - let's give it a go.

On me: No longer soap! I like morphers, they're so unpredictable. I agree whole-heartedly with what Macha said much more eloquently above. This is a cool, serene, elegant scent - like fragrant night air. There's a sense of clarity and distance to it... definitely starry.

I've been impressed with all the DiMV scents I've tried thus far, and Evening Star is no exception. A beautiful, ethereal scent.

In the bottle, beautiful herbs & flowers. Once on it quickly goes very *heavy floral perfumy*, pretty but not my thing. Then yay, here comes the headache.

In the bottle

I smell a bright, floral, musk and it's very pretty.

On

It's a classic smelling sensual and clean floral scent.

30 minutes

Becomes even more beautiful. Less astringent and more powdery soft. It's clean and has a very light sweetness. Light white floral that is not too much for me at all. And then there's that sensual musk.

Throw:

average maybe a bit more than average for me

Scent category:

Floral/Animalistic

Summary

There is that crystalline scent that is in so many bpal blends I love like "Sea of Glass" or "Empyreal Mist", but this goes a step further with the floral (not too much though) and adds the sensual scent of musk in equal measure.

As it dries it gets better. It becomes even brighter on my skin (which is odd as bright usually turns muddy on me skin after a length of time). It also has more of a powderiness now and almost a citrussy vibe (lemon or grapefruit, not orange). It's scent on me when it is fully dry is clean, subtley sweet citrus, floral with a hint of musk. It has better than average staying power also.

Purchase again?

Yes. This is something I might were more than occasionally and at a conservative workplace too.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

115980296.jpg

Edited by UltraViolet

in the bottle an airy floral, like a nightime breeze throgh a flower garden.

wet: hmmm sandalwood? none in the description, but i sense it. could that be orris? and moon flower

as it dries this is a delicate, airy floral light, breezy, fresh. it is soft feminine, and fragile smelling.

Evening Star is a very feminine floral, smooth, elegant, and slightly musky. It brings to mind an aloof but supernally beautiful woman in silvery robes. Tolkien fans might call this Varda, or Elbereth. Its staying power makes it a good wear-to-work scent.

Evening Star starts out as a burst of sweet florals, which I think is largely due to the moonflower note. But as it dries down, the sweetness dies down and the poppy note (perhaps backed by some musk) emerges. At this point, Evening Star reminds me somewhat of Vechernyaya; however, Vechernyaya doesn't include the very sweet floral opening, so I think that I will pass on my decant of Evening Star to someone else.

Sniffing the imp : It's a very pale, light floral and it made my nose sting a bit.

Wet on my arm it's a pale purpley floral, somehow very comforting. It makes me want to curl up in my blankets and suck my thumb. When I smell this I feel taken care of, small.

I do typically hate florals but this one is just ... yeah. I am putting this by my bedside table.

I'd never wear it out, it makes me feel too vulnerable.

As it dries there's a slightly musky floral, something slightly peppery.

Oh no, in drydown it's becoming powdery and really, really soapy.

*taking it back off my bedside table*

Stupid soap smell. I wish I could've haulted this at the sweet floral stage.

I wish I knew which note was making this go bad, because I would *seriously* avoid it in any future blends. This starts out as harsh, sharp cologne. If I ignore the tingling in my nose I can sometimes smell the other notes that other people are enjoying so much -- it smells like tiny flowers beside a stream by starlight, cool and clear and pretty. But the harsh cologne note is hard to ignore. Then it dries down to lily and sawdust. Most of the Demon blends are so unusual and evocative that I'm keeping even the ones that aren't great on me, but this one is just so bad that I think it will have to go.

A very cool, clear scent in the bottle. I think I detect a hint of something soft and herbal when I first put it on... perhaps juniper? Once it's on awhile it becomes a lovely, not at all overwhelming white floral. It has a cool and distant feeling; like a beautiful but untouchable starlet draped in white silks.

It's softer than is usually my preference, but I'm considering getting more for times when a more subtle perfume is desirable.

Evening Star

In the imp: a fresh, cool, powdery pale floral.

Wet on skin: still that cool, dusty, yet moist, white floral again.

Dry: this is lovely! The scent, though I cannot identify clearly what the notes are in this, is both fresh and dewy, but also white and dusty, both gentle and pale, but also heady and rich. This is a cool scent, like evening dew, like night air, it is a glittering floral scent, that must be the moon flower, and the lily note (if that’s what it is) makes the scent even more potently flowery in a wonderful way. This perfume is so ethereal, aloof and mysterious, the scent of a silvery star-goddess shimmering in the sky, distant and far removed from earthly trappings, in the growing coolness of evening. This scent brings to mind strong images, it’s amazing.

After a while: the scent doesn’t morph too much-but it does become drier, dustier, and a little bit sweeter. It’s now like a soft scented powder on the skin. There may also be, as other reviews mention, a bit of musk too.

Verdict: this is a scent so incredibly evocative and visual, so enchanting, it really captures something I cannot quite grasp-but it brings to mind images of a beautiful, ethereal, starry being, a goddess perhaps, of pale flowing robes and wispy hair, almost elf-like, radiating a shimmering luminescence, aloft in the heavens, shining, twinkling, distant…the scent also is cool, shivering, like the fresh touch of dew, like the cold breath of a night breeze. The fragrance glimmers white and floral, sparkling and quite moist-and yet dry and dusty at the same time, a scent that is mysterious and almost ghostly. I don’t know how Beth does it, but this is another one of those beautiful starry fragrances-along with Nuit-which has touched me in a way that is hard to describe. Another one of those starry scents that really does conjure up visions of glittering night skies and silvery moonlit landscapes, the heavens reflected in lakes and rivers, in drops of dew. A magnificent and breathtaking example of poetry in scent.

Feminine, floral, gorgeous and etheral and...oh crap am I allergic to something in there. Sneezing, sniffling, nyquil isn't going to save me allergy. :sob: I'm loathing having to ship this off as it just smells so beautiful, but if I can't breath it's sort of hard to smell it.

In bottle: a very dry, white scent...it smells like paper, clean and a little bit floral

Wet: it turns very clean on my skin. this floral has a bit of a bite to it, no doubt due to the lily, which is kinda making me sneeze

Dry: the lily takes over and it's just too clean for me, but it certainly smells like something my mom would wear

Wet: a cold, distant, gentle floral, airy, and soooooo lovely.

Dry:This comes a lot closer, and gets a lot less airy. It gets a sort of semi spicy musk to it, and a warmth over the initial scent. it's still lovely, but not as nice as it is when wet.

At first a sort of cologne-y floral. Very cool in tone and quite strong. As it dries it is lightening up and smells less cologney and more floral. This sorta reminds me of scent strips in magazines, that sort of flat floral perfume-y cologne scent. Ultimately, this seems like a very summery floral to me. It is fairly light and just has a twilight on a warm night feel to me.

In bottle: Smells like a fairy. Light and bright and almost berry-like, but moonflower! Lovely lovely moonflower. I love The Body Shop's 'Spirit of Moonflower' fragrance, so I can't wait to see how this blend develops.

On me: This goes very very powdery on me almost instantly. Baby powder - and seems to be causing a slight headache. I wonder if I have an allergy to something in this blend? When I think about it, nocturnal florals often pull this on me, so I guess it's not that big of a deal. Very feminine, and a bit musky.

This is one of the most utterly beautiful scents I have ever smelt. Very light and ethereal, this smells like the night sky, if it is possible for the night sky to have a smell. It is wonderfully evocative of its name, and is kinda silvery-white, with a bit of purple. A white floral with a musky, almost herbal undertone. I absolutely adore this.

Wet - a strong white floral, moonflower I presume.

Dry - More of the notes come out, but it is still a piercing white floral. It captures the essence of the Evening Star quite well, but it's much too floral for my taste.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2.

at first: cool, floral, and faintly sweet.

on: wow. slightly sweet and wet. tons of lily, which is always a good thing for me.

half an hour later: soapy. very soapy. poor me.

1.5 hours later: dusty and soapy.

2.5 hours later: soft and soapy.

overall: one of the floral notes just didn't work on me.

I really liked it in the imp: it had a light, watery quality. Applied, however, the lightness and wateriness disappears, and it immediately becomes a very strong, cloying floral. I can’t identify the exact notes that are so strong (because there are a few in the description that I am not familiar with) but the overall effect is “Grandma’s Perfume.” I feel like there is a cloud of perfume around me, and I’m at work so I can’t take a shower. It’s so strong it’s making my eyes water.

Darn. Another DimV scent that I don’t like.

On a scale of 1 to 5: 1.

This scent is so faint in the bottle I can barely pick out any single notes. It just comes across as ... white almost. Cool definitely.

On my skin though, it's a lovely soft, cold floral. I'm not a huge fan of floral scents, but this one is so faint and cool that it makes me feel calm. I would definitely wear this on a quiet night.

I'm definitely holding onto my bottle.

I was so hoping The Evening Star would be like a cross of Vechernyaya and Moon Rose (sans rose), and it is! All those white musks and the moonflower together---it's like moonlight on my skin.

The moonflower note has been an acquired taste for me over the last year, but now I absolutely love it. The Evening Star will be one of those blends I reach for when I want something serene, ethereal, and incandescent.

I originally purchased this one just because I think that the label art is so beautiful. For the last few days it has been sitting on my desk and I just studied the artwork and admired. Today I decided to try it on... and there is a very sharp, jagged edge on my bottle lid. I sliced my palm open when I tried to open the bottle and was bleeding everywhere.

That said, Evening Star smells beautiful enough that I forgive it for trying to kill me.

This is a very enchanting sort of fragrance. It is very potent, so I dab this one on carefully. A few strategic swipes on the backs of my knees and collarbone makes me feel like a princess though. For me, this is the embodiment of a romantic night on the town. The expensive candlelit dinner, slow dancing, and star-gazing on the terrace... it makes me feel like the submissive, elegant young lady that deserves the protective adoring male and... yes, very much a fairy-tale romance scent for me.

I am awful with floral notes, they usually smell horrible on me and I have trouble identifying one flower from the next. When I smell this, I think of beautiful creamy flowers that are shimmering and glowing in the moonlight. Rays of moonlight are filtering down into a beautiful garden and it looks like everything has been dusted in diamond powder. It's elegant and beautiful.

I'm really surprised that this floral blend is working out well on me. It's not going soapy or giving me a headache. It is powdery, but it's a good sort of powdery.

Best way I could summarize this one: Powdery night-blooming flowers with a sweet edge and cool night air. I love it :P

-----

ETA. I cannot get over how much I am loving this one lately. I wore Evening Star again today and my mother complimented me a million times on my fragrance (she is a very picky woman). I'm going to buy another two bottles of this one, another one for me and one for my mum. I hope that more people will give this blend a try, because it is surprisingly lovely, even for someone like me who normally hates florals.

Edited by Blood onmy hands

This was the one Demon scent I *had* to have, although I hope to gradually swap for imps of some others. As much as I love Poe, I'm more obsessed with the stories than the poems (when *that* series comes out I am in sooo much trouble!); my need for this scent was actually all about Tolkien. What with copyright and all, I figure this is the only Evenstar scent Beth is likely to do. :D The label is perfect for either meaning.

*sniff* Oh, this is delicate, sophisticated, and beautiful--a slightly aquatic floral. I can smell the moonflower and lily (never smelled "fairy lily" before, but of course I am over the moon for that name!). It's warmer on me than I expected; for me this is a second-skin scent, even though it is not musky like most skin scents. I think it's a fairy or elf skin scent! :P It doesn't yell "I am perfume!"; it just smells soft and elusive, slightly sweet. It stays close to me even though it's rather strong (ok, I slathered, which helped). It "feels" like Midnight, but not so heady.

You know what this is? This is a sex-in-the-moonlight scent. :D Silvery and magickal, but also warm and intimate--just like the elf-princess of your dreams would smell. :D