Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Orodemniades

Spice me, baby! The spiciest BPAL blends

Looks like no one's touched this thread for a while, but I wasn't sure where else to put this -- and I wanna preach the gospel of Valentine of Rome! :P

Valentine is a beautifully spicy resin blend: frankincense with tons of clove and pepper overtones. Yum!

You picked the perfect place to put that :D And I agree with you on VoR, it's almost like a resinous Three Witches. original version to boot.

I was wavering on ordering a bottle of VoR, though - if the frankincense had been amber instead, it would be incredible on me, but frankincense sometimes gets a little bit of a weird kerosene hint on my skin. And VoR wasn't absolutely perfect, and I am swimming in bottles, and then my Sugar Moon order arrived with Mort de Cesar in it just before the Lupercalias were pulled.

And if clove is a spice that delights you - Mort de Cesar is awesome! (Some of the reviewers have said it's bitter or masculine, but I can turn flowers into man-musk if there's even a hint of masculine in a blend and MdC doesn't get manly on me at all. Maybe there's enough sweetness in it for my chemistry to work with.)

So I decided to be happy with my bottle of Mort de Cesar and my decant of Valentine of Rome... for now. :D

Bump.

Is there a BPAL that predominantly features star anise and cinnamon? I've got the strangest desire to smell like pho noodles, but without the cooking beef smell :P . Hmm. Some patchouli thrown in wouldn't go amiss either.

Cinnamon...?

Blood Moon (If you can get it)

Saw Scaled Viper

Frumious Bandersnatch (To my nose smells alot like cinnamon)

Good luck!

Bump.

Is there a BPAL that predominantly features star anise and cinnamon? I've got the strangest desire to smell like pho noodles, but without the cooking beef smell :D . Hmm. Some patchouli thrown in wouldn't go amiss either.

Guh. That combination sounds a-frickin'-mazing! :P Alas, all the anise blends I can find are either pale Asian-inspired florals or have a lot of other notes that would probably drown it out... The only thing I can suggest is perhaps layering Kabuki with Sin...

On the layering note, maybe Plunder and Absinthe would give you that sort of scent?

On a completely non-perfume note: It may only be 9:24 in the morning, but now I want a big old bowl of pho.

On the layering note, maybe Plunder and Absinthe would give you that sort of scent?

Those two would be my recommendation, too.

Oooh. Layering. Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I'll see what I can do.

Also? It is never too early for pho. :P

My favorite anise scent (and one of my general favorites, at that) is Kabuki. It's not spicy, and there is no cinnamon, but it is rich, "deep red," and just oozes with lovely anise :P

The Smiling Spider and Vixen have to be my most favorite spicy scents in the catalog thus far. I'd be curious to see how the Spidey and Kabuki go together.

Edited by eatingthesea

Hmm, i am after some spicy kinds of oils. I love morroco but it seems pretty light. I also love eat me which has a bit of a spice kick to me. I had a quick look but could not find another thread looking for spices. I should probably mention though that anything that is heavily clove is really iffy my skin amps it like all hell!

Thanks for the help!

Hmm, i am after some spicy kinds of oils. I love morroco but it seems pretty light. I also love eat me which has a bit of a spice kick to me. I had a quick look but could not find another thread looking for spices. I should probably mention though that anything that is heavily clove is really iffy my skin amps it like all hell!

Thanks for the help!

This thread was a request for spicy scent recs for someone's boyfriend, but given that a lot of the scents recommended are gender-neutral I think it's a good place to start :P.

Thanks for the help!

Have you tried any of these?

Sin

Scherezade

Any of the Ars Draconis

Chimera

I don't think any of those have clove in..

I am looking for a scent that has some spice and warmth, but doesn't smell like incense. I thought I might like the scent of Scherezade (I really like the idea of Scherezade) but I just got it in the mail and it leans too much towards incense for me.

I really like chai tea, which would have notes like cardamom, ginger, clove, possibly black pepper. I wouldn't mind a few light florals thrown in there too, maybe a rose.

I'm not sure what note I'm specifically reacting to in Scherezade, which I know would be helpful :P. But hey, I'll take any recommendations you have! Anything for an excuse to buy more oils, right?

Edited by Pamlwell

Bengal is very spicy, but doesn't have any cream or floral notes. It's very much a spice blend, hot and clean with a bit of musk if I recall. You might try Silk Road, which was creamier. I also immediately thought of Alice, which has always reminded me of a light milky chai, and which also contains rose and carnation (which contributes to the lightly spiced warmth).

I am looking for a scent that has some spice and warmth, but doesn't smell like incense. I thought I might like the scent of Scherezade (I really like the idea of Scherezade) but I just got it in the mail and it leans too much towards incense for me.

I really like chai tea, which would have notes like cardamom, ginger, clove, possibly black pepper. I wouldn't mind a few light florals thrown in there too, maybe a rose.

I'm not sure what note I'm specifically reacting to in Scherezade, which I know would be helpful :P. But hey, I'll take any recommendations you have! Anything for an excuse to buy more oils, right?

Plunder! "The scent of a pirate's bumboat, overflowing with stolen wares: tea leaf, cassia, cinnamon bark, clove, allspice, sandalwood, tobacco, peppercorn, and nutmeg."

Oh wonderful! I was already musing on Bengal: Glad to see you guys agree. Alice and Plunder sound wonderful too.

I was looking at Silk Road, but I was worried that whatever it is that smells incensey to me in Scherezade would be in Silk Road too. The description of it isn't very specific about what exactly it contains and it seems like it would have a high propensity for incense.

Still, that gives me a little something to go on for now...

Bengal for sure. It is fantastic (it is my favorite).

Plunder is also great and a bit more dry than Bengal (to my nose anyway).

Silk Road eventually goes a little incensey on me, but not too much. Morocco is my go to spicy warm scent. It also has a bit of floral in it which rounds it out.

Al-Sharian is nice and spicy from teh cinnamon, and doesn't go incense-y on me at all (and I can't stand smelling like a New Age Store)

Mama Ji

You really must try Mama Ji.

I totally second the Mama Ji recommendation! It's just a wonderful dry warm exotic spice without any incense I can smell.

Chimera (cinnamon and honeysuckle) and Sudha Segara (ginger, milk, and honey) are both warm spicy blends to me that stay clear of incensey notes. Chimera is a bit more floral, while Sudha Segara is more creamy.

Bengal if you like chai tea. I also agree with the suggestions of Plunder and Chimera. To me, Alice is really more floral than milky, it's heavy on the carnation, and is lovely but no spicey. Dragon's Milk is like milk and honey and even though it has Dragon's Blood, I wouldn't say that it smells like incense. Good luck with your BPAL quest.

Shub-...um, can't remember how to spell the last part.

Shubb Niggurath? "The lust incense of a corrupted Astarte. A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices." I would never have picked that one out because of the resins, but it's certainly worth an imp of a try. Thanks!

So. So far I'm looking at Bengal, Al-Sharian, Chimera, Plunder, Morocco, Sudha Serga, Shub Niggurath, Silk Road and (even though it might not be spicy and because I'm curiouser and curiouser,) Alice. Then toss in a 5 ml of Mama-Ji to really squeeze the pocketbooks. Hmmm, I really must try to cull those imps down to six...