Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

Baneberry

A poisonous fruit-bearing member of the buttercup family. The scent, like the plant, is dark green, herbal, and plump with bulging black fruit.

This can best be described as a sweet, soapy-herbal-berry to my nose. Fresh and very slightly powdery.

Quite a pleasant scent, really.

i received this as a frimp, and who knew? it turns out to be one of the best BPAL i've smelled!

very berry... but not as sweet as some berries. not too strong of a scent, either. Has a bit of a "tang"? This berry lasted quite a while on me, too...

This scent loves me, and I love it back! :P

I keep getting sweet fruit whiffs of this when I move my arm. I like this one. There is something sort of vanilla or foody in there, but I don't think it's vanilla since it isn't going weird on me. Definitely fruity, dark berry.

Cute roommate review: I don't like it. Powdery

Hmm, fruitier than I expected. Wet, this reminds me of something I remember smelling from my mom's yuppie-ish lotions; a bit soapy, quite fruity. Hm. I was hoping for something a trifle greener, but this is all juicy red-pink berries and soap. Damn. attar shanas, this one's going to you.

In the imp: It smells like a car air freshener my ex used to have, which was supposed to be lemon. It doesn't actually smell like lemon, but neither did the air freshener. It's a very crisp, clean, almost citrussy scent, with an astringent or anti-sceptic type undertone.

Wet: Thankfully it smells very different on my skin. It's still green and crisp, but there's a much softer, berryish undertone that begins to come out immediately. I thought I wouldn't like this when sniffing it from the imp, but I definitely prefer it on.

Dry: Still green, a slightly floral berry. It's perhaps a little too crisp for me--it hasn't softened particularly, although all remnants of the astringent tone it had in the imp have disappeared.

Later: Ooh, this is rather good. There's a slightly resinous scent to it now, which I like very much, and it's softened and sweetened. Resinous berry, with just a hint of greenery.

I thought that I'd be swapping this as soon as I smelled it in the imp, but I really do like it once it's mellowed. The only problem will be waiting until that point! I might give this a few more goes to see if I can be patient enough, because the end result is lovely.

In the imp: green, unripe blackberries.

On me, wet: ripe blackberries, with some crisp green herbs in the background and something faintly citric adding sharpness to the mix.

On me, dry: this smells like a fruit-and-herbal shampoo on me - a nice one, but still a shampoo.

Verdict: Not hideous, but not really worth keeping either.

The lab's description is spot on! This is a very dark purple and green. It is sweet, not overbearing and beautiful. It is like being in the forest, after it has rained and everything is glittering dew under the moon... right after winter has passed.

Rating: 4/5

Wet: ozone. slightly greenish, but mostly the ozone is the main note here.

Drydown: Wow, there's a change. Now it smells very sweet, berry like, and almost juicy like a pineapple. There's still a touch of the ozone note, but it's not as noticable anymore. After a bit longer, there's a sharper pine-like note that appears, but it is about equal in strength with the berry note, but doesn't stick around with as much intensity. This is an interesting and rather yummy blend!

Baneberry is a sweet fruity scent with a little bit of "skin" undertone. It does not have a lot of throw. It's nice but does not particularly rock my world.]

Baneberry - Oooh, this is pretty! This is a beautiful, fruity-floral that is somehow floral without being typically floral and fruity without being typically fruity (if that makes any sense at all). It’s hard to describe – it’s bitter and earthy the way herbs can be, yet sweet and juicy like fruit. All I know is that I tested a good eight to ten different BPAL scents today and this is the only one that’s not going in the swap pile! It has a light level of throw and has about average staying power. It’s a very unique scent, and I definitely see myself choosing to wear this on those days when I want a fruity-floral that’s not like your every day fruity-floral scent.

This is a slightly sweet, herbal scent, slightly fruity. When first applied it has a bit of a tang, but as it dries, this sweetens up considerably. This smells like blackberries in a tangle of vegetation and thorns. After this has been on for an hour or two, this is a soft, sweet, fruity scent that’s quite charming.

At first, green herbs and berries. Then it morphs into powdery green herbs and berries. My skin seems to turn a lot of BPAL scents into powder though, so don't let my review deter you from trying this lovely (in the imp, not on me) scent.

Now this is just strange. I have here a scent with an enticing and lovely description, and the imp is a good match for the description on my skin, but I still don't consider this a keeper . . . What in the world is wrong with me?!

While not very herbal on me, the description is otherwise dead-on. The imp smells very much like blackberries with something darker; it's a sweet but dark, almost earthy fragrance. If I had tried it a few weeks ago I might have just fallen in love. But no, I had to try Bewitched first, and the tea and musk in that scent gives me a brighter, more alluring fragrance. And since I have a nice big bottle of Bewitched on the way . . . Sorry, Baneberry, but I'm already seeing someone else. :P

Oooo this is nice!! I usually can't deal with BPAL fruity scents, but this is a subdued herbal blackberry....a tiny bit of a soapy tinge to it, but it's not turning to fruit punch on me. This would be especially nice as a shampoo scent, I think :P

Baneberry-

In Bottle: A very floral smell like fresh-smelling soap. Doesn't seem too heavy.

Wet: Very nice, strong florals; not at all rose-like but like bold lilies and lilacs and...well, maybe not those flowers exactly but ones with big bold smells.

Dry: It's not until the dry-down that I start to smell the berries! Yes, a sweetness like blackberries. Wow, I'm so impressed with the richness of the dry-down!

Overall: I like a lot!

I do note the slight soap scent but it's more the soap at a really nice body shop. Juicy berry with a small tang from the herbs. A pretty green scent!

Baneberry would make an excellent poisonous plant - it smells so sweet and juicy and candy-like that anyone would want to eat it! As it warms, it becomes a bit more grown up and a little less sweet, but the juicy raspberry scent continues. Great throw, and it has good staying power!

imp:fruity and woody

on wet: fruity and woody. Yum! Throw from 1-10 is a 5

dry: This is pretty pleasant! A nice, woody fruit. It is light, but I like it. Throw=7

later: still a very nice, fruity wood. I like it. Throw=7

Summary: I really love the fruit in this. I will keep the imp, but not sure I will buy a bottle just yet (there are a few things I want more).

green herbs and grasses, with tart red berries. vaguely waxy, like a berry-scented candle. very clean and outdoorsy, like a shampoo, when first applied. sweetens up after it dries.

This was a frimp from the lab. I never would have ordered this as although I like black fruit I do NOT like green herbal scents at all. In fact I despise them. I don't have very high hopes for this one.

In the imp: Berries with a touch of green.

Wet: Wow fruit! Lots of sweet juicy berries. The green has disappeared.

Drydown: I swear there's plum in this, which would explain why it sweetened so much as soon as it hit my skin. My skin loves plum and tends to amp it a bit, I don't mind as it's a note that really works for me. If it's not plum I need to find out what this is! As it dries some more I can detect the herbs, but they're lush green ones, not the sharp green ones that I hate so much. It's sweet but not nearly as sweet as Bordello (the only other berry Bpal I've tried as yet), and the fruit is much darker than it too. They're definitely black fruits and not red or purple. Quite a bit of throw.

Dry: Plum is still dominant, which is not surprising. This means that on me this is still far more fruit than herbs - suits me! A dark plum and berry with a tiny dash of lush green herbs, just enough to stop it being as sweet as most berry or plum scents. Mind you it's still pretty sweet on me. Has a little bit of throw but not a lot, and lasts a few hours.

Well I'll be buggered! For something I had no expectations of, this was quite the surprise! I really like this a lot. Not as much as Bordello, which shot to the top of the need a bottle ASAP list as soon as I sniffed the imp, but this really is lovely. The imp is a keeper, and may become a bottle in the future after my (as yet non-existent) bottle of Bordello runs out.

As for the Labbies, they're 3/3 on my frimps so far!

Right out of the imp I'm getting a fresh, green citrus scent. On my skin there is still a fresh green, citrus note mixed with something sweet and berry-like. This isn't your typical berry scent, however. This one is a lot more green smelling. it's a very subtle berry.There's an astringent quality to this that makes me think of antibacterial hand soap or household cleaner (but very good smelling household cleaner!) :P

As this dries I smell a bit of lemon verbena (??)

it's a very herbal, green smelling scent. Fresh and bright. Very nice but not for me :D

Dark herbal scent. I'm not getting much of a black fruit like the description says, but definitely this dark herbal mixture. Not my thing though. Off to the swap pile for you!

I find this scent to be quite enjoyable. For me, it's like your best, most favorite detergent that you can't necessarily get big bottles of cause it's so expensive, but you'll always try to keep a little around. :P Sweet, then soapy berry, just like many have said, with just a hint of spicy right at the end. A bottle is not a priority, but it is a consideration.

Wow, this has throw :D And it doesn't immediately go odd on me, fruity blend that it is.

IN THE BOTTLE: :P Fruit. Very juicy fruit, very sweet--I'd put it in a pie just to flavor the filling. (Not literally, but you know.) It smells like fruit and syrup, I guess--a mix of raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries.

WET: More of the same, perhaps a little sweeter if that's possible.

DRY: It smells exactly like Jester + blackberry. If you've never had Jester, it's like bubblegum--powdered sugar and all--but instead of the generic strawberry bubblegum flavor, it's blackberry. It's really interesting, actually; I rather like it.