Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The sticky sweet scent of candy corn!

(I only tested this on my arm - have not yet worn it - so I may update this)
This oil smells kind of "corny" out of the bottle. I don't know how else to explain it, but when applied it smells more like sugar skull without the brushed fruits (for those of you that aren't familiar with Sugar Skull, it was basically a sugar scent brushed with fruits). It has a very slight buttery/honeyish tinge to it. I also get a tiny bit of that "burnt sugar" scent that also came thru on me with Sugar Skull but it passes thru that phase. I was unable to wear last year's Sugar Skull due to a skin reaction, so hopefully I'll be able to wear this. This is a fun Halloween Scent. Thanks Beth!

I love the cute labels on all the Halloween scents!

In the bottle: Oh dear lord that's strong! It's sugar, and butter, and it really does smell corny. I have to smell it from a distance because the corn smell is so strong. And weird.

First on: The corn has gone, which is good. :P It's like melted butter with sugar, and maybe a bit of caramel.

Drydown: It hasn't changed much, only there's a slight after-scent almost plasticy. It does smell similar to candy corn, only I get more caramel popcorn or something. A good foody scent, but not for me.

Maybe I haven't smelled Candy Corns in too long, but I don't get that from this blend.

Instead, I get a sugary pie crust smell. I love it. :P

I'll edit this some when I've actually worn it, but in the bottle it smells like delicious butterscotch pudding!! Hubba hubba! This is probably my all time favorite BPAL label, too!

Trick or Treat

I really like this one.

In the bottle (which I don't normally do): It DOES smell like corn! Sweet, maybe creamed corn.

On skin: The corn smell tones down considerably & I get a caramel type scent.

Dried: Yes, this is the smell of candy corn.

I was waiting for the plastic note to come out, hence I only purchased one bottle, but it never appears. YAY! Or BOO? 'Cause now I'm thinking maybe one more before the Halloween Update is gone.

this smells EXACTLY like candy corn! So completely spot on it's scary.

I don't get the "corny" smell, there isn't a trace of the vegetable corn in this in the slightest...sooo don't know what's going on there for others.

Anyhow! This smells so delicious... buttery and sugary and orange and yellow.. and yummy. I love candy corn so I just love this scent. I get a hint of maple buttery goodness, like syrup and butter on pancakes.

I like this much more than Midway or other sweeties. It's sweet but not so gushingly sweet that I won't wear it often. Love it!

Trick or Treat reminds me faintly of candy corn but not the Brach's variety I usually buy. ToT is much sweeter with something mapley in the mix. Once on it doesn't change much and is actually quite similar to Sugar Skull on my skin without the slight burnt/fruity notes. I like this blend as a novelty and of course for the pretty picture on the bottle but it's too sweet for everyday wear for me. I might use it in a burner instead.

trickortreat.jpg

At first this one is very butterscotch sweet wet and corny out of the bottle. Then it slowly gets a real good whiff of spice in the background. When it dries down it is butterscotch and spice. Very nice but I was wondering about that spiciness, real candy corn is bland as hell. As a scent by itself and not as a replication of candy corn. I venture to say that this is more like what "Gourmet Candy Corn" would smell like if there was such a thing at Williams-Sonoma.

Trick or Treat is really good, Halloweeny and right for the season. I wouldn't go wanting it to be candy corn only, this is a BPAL blend and more is being said here than merely recreating an item.

Comparing this one to Sugar Skull...well there might be some similarities on some levels, same church but waaaay different pew. Sugar Skull has booze and tobacco in it to my nose, Trick or Treat is candy corny goodness and I really like it a lot for its more childlike approach to Halloween without the dark complexity that Sugar Skull brings to the blend.

Trick or Treat is a grand scent for newbies to the BPAL fold. You can' t help but like it and it has it's little complex moments with no break-in period and no nose training sessions.

Edited to add: After trying all of my Halloween LE's I have to conclude that Trick or Treat was THE scent which defined Halloween for me. It has all of the elements I love in the festival: sweets, slight smokiness, spices and lilt. It starts off innocent enough and ends up with a whicked tang, subdued but definately there. I really love Trick or Treat and think the little "novelty oil" of the bunch turned out to be the winner...for me. I hope it becomes a Halloween staple.

Edited by olympia301

I thought this was going to be too sweet, but I was wrong once again. I like the maple syrupy sweetness of it. I like that it smells like candy corn, but in a gourmad way. This is a great scent for Halloween, I wont use it that much, but that's only because my love affair with the Pumpkin Patch is very hot right now :P

Trick or Treat smells just like candy corn! In the bottle, it was a rush of buttery, syrupy sweetness. On the wrist, it smells sweet with a hint of honey, and perhaps, a tiny touch of cinnamon. A very whimsical scent, yet complex in the depth and variety of notes that come through. Not serious at all. Good Halloween fun.

The only time Trick or Treat smells like candy corn to me is in the bottle. When I first put it on my skin, it smells a lot like Sugar Skull ('04 not '05), just a little lighter. It's that burnt sugar, buttery, mapley note that is in Sugar Skull and also Gluttony. After drying down for about ten minutes, Trick or Treat begins to get a soft spiceiness to it. I can smell mostly cinnamon and a little bit of nutmeg. I really like this perfume but I'll have to see how it goes over with my boyfriend and friends. They hated Sugar Skull and Gluttony on me, I'm hoping this won't be a repeat :P .

ETA: Had to come back to edit to point out that this compares to Sugar Skull '04 not the '05 version.

Edited by ChupaChup

When I pop open the bottle, all I smell is caramel-topped sweet corn. Not so much like candy corn.

After it hits my skin, I get an explosion of caramel, vanilla, and spice. Again, not so much like candy corn.

Alas, it's nothing like candy corn whatsoever, but it's a very pleasant, sweet, sappy confection that's similar in depth to Sugar Skull, but without the fruity bits.

Wow, I am beyond impressed with the Halloween labels. I am in label heaven :P. Trick or Treat was my first pick of the Halloween blends, but it's a bit disappointing on my skin.

I was horrified when I first smelled this in the bottle. It smells like creamed corn, and it was enough to make me feel ill. Thankfully, it transforms into something less repulsive on my skin

On me, this smells like a bowl of candy corns that have been lightly dusted with cinnamon. Light and sugary. There is also a sort of freshly baked bread scent in the background. Very warm and pleasant. It makes me think of bread pudding, but it's very light and not something that I'd really want to smell like.

This doesn't have much throw or staying power on me either.

ETA:

Got a later version of this scent and it smells light like, creamy, candle-ish vanilla (a bit cheap and waxy smelling), a hint of dry leaves, and a hint of spices. Dries down to sort of a creamy brown sugar candle type scent. It does remind me of Sugar Skull. Has pretty much no staying power or throw on me and quickly fades to a vague, waxy sweetness on my skin.

Edited by Little Bird

Yum!! :P

I actually smell the creamed corn out of the vial like some others have, but it's not pure corn... there's definitely something carmel lurking underneath. Wet on the skin it instantly transforms to a flash of sweet familiar candy corn, and then it starts getting more complex. There is the dusting of cinnamon, and a rich caramel essence. Ohhh it is sooo good. It mellows fast, but this becomes an absolutely delectable skin scent. This does not morph after wearing for awhile, it just gets a little softer. mmm. It is simple, but it isn't plain.

Trick or Treat completely exceeds my expectations for not TOO sweet not TOO foody goodness. I am excited to see how this wears, but think that I will have to be in the right mood to wear it. It's definitely not as 'light' as Midway.

Edited by Avery

I love candy corn, but hardly ever eat it because I don't want to commit to a whole bag, so I was really looking forward to getting my nostalgia fix from this scent.

It's not quite what I was expecting. It doesn't smell like light sugar & honey, like the Brach's brand of candy corn I like. Maybe more like one of the cheaper brands ... It's very mapley and kind of buttery. Not much like candy corn on me, but still pretty tasty.

Edited by spanishviolet

Wow. In the bottle, sweet creamed corn, the real deal, off the cob.

On my skin, maple-sweet corn with cinnamon. It does bear a strong resemblance to Sugar Skull. The corn note is so real it's uncanny.

Once it dries down, it does smell like candy corn, small-batched in copper pots with primo ingredients. It also smells like caramel corn.

Yum! I wasn't so sure about it in the beginning (I spent a couple dicey years in Iowa and now the smell of corn is not such a great association) but the end result is scrummy.

in the bottle:hmmm i am not getting corn like real corn, this smells just like candy corn (i believe it is trick or treat also) candle from yankee. it is sweet candy yumminess

wet: strong sweet candy corn scent, like sweet icing, maybe some vanilla but mostly sugar

as it dries this is exactly what i expected. pure candy corn, uber sweet, cavities in a jar. i love it.

ACK! I cannot tell the difference between Sugar Skull and Trick or Treat! I got home after a long day, ripped open my package, and slathered both on. Now, well, my wrists smell the same! Both smell like maple syrup. My husband seems to like the effect, although for the life of me I don't know which one he's responding to. Maybe both.

Is there a big difference in the drydown? If so, I don't smell it. I know that Trick or Treat smelled sort of weird and vegetable-y in the bottle, but on it was just sugary. Burnt sugar, actually. Burnt sugar with maple syrup. Oddly enough, I like it.

This could be Sugar Skull, of course. I have no idea. Must find Inner Control Button when opening new BPAL packages.

In the bottle, this has the same sweet, butteriness & burned sugar that I get from Jack. On skin it's warm maple/pancake syrup & burnt sugar.

Wonderful Halloween blend :P

I, too, thought this would be a novelty scent. Being a big Sugar Skull '04 fan, I figured I had to try another of Beth's "sugary" concoctions, but wasn't expecting alot of depth. I was expecting a fleeting smile and a swap.

I was very wrong. This is scent of surprising dimension. On first application it is very sugary and realistically vegetable corn-y with a touch of creaminess. Quickly it becomes fun and yummy and sweet and very true to sticking your face in a freshly opened bag of the cavity-inducing stuff (sans plastic, and yes I actually have done this - in the name of research, of course :D).

This changes for me in amazing ways. The sugar stays and caramelizes over time, while the corn mellows to a more generalized earthy grainlike scent. I get some butterscotch and an undercurrent of smokiness that really lights my fire. It's still very sweet, but I second Olympia301's use of the word "tang" - in a wicked sense rather than a funky one. There's some devilish temptation in this, in a very "Want some candy, big strong man?" wink-wink-nudge-nudge fashion. Rowr!! This ain't little kid's candy by a country mile. :P

I am deeply in love with several of the Halloweenie blends, but this one is in serious need of a stock-up. What a delicious surprise.

(I must add my thanks to lorajc for the decant; she saved the day more than we both knew at the time with this gimp.)

Preconceived notions: I'm worried that this will be too sweet and buttery on me (and the buttery notes tend to go a bit stale on my skin) - but if I've learned anything, it's that my preconceived notions are often wrong! :D

In the bottle: Whoa... I definitely agree with Astrid's butterscotch pudding assessment! Now, I like butterscotch pudding, but do I want to walk around smelling like it? Hrm... :P

On: What a drastic change - slightly burnt sugar! Which is a good thing - rather that buttery, it's a nice, dry, lightly-spicy/smokey scent. This reminds me a lot of last year's Sugar Skull (I only have an imp, but I didn't get much fruit from it, just burnt sugar). I'm glad I went ahead with getting a bottle of Trick or Treat, despite my misgivings - it's a fun scent that makes me think of toasted marshmallows, or the crust on top of creme brulee. Tasty. :D

Trick or Treat had a strong enough corn smell in the bottle that I started to get nervous.

Fortunately, the corn scent faded as soon as the oil touched my skin. Instead I smell sweet sugar and maple candy. Yum!

Over time, there is a hint of smokiness behind the sweetness that is quite in tune with the atmosphere of Halloween.

Sugar, honey. Sweet, resinous, and slightly grainy. I wish I had some candy corn on hand to compare it. I can say that it's not evoking that scent memory for me. Butterscotchy, almost. Or maple syrup. It reminds me of Sugar Skull, Hellcat, and Grog. It's like Sugar Skull, Midway style, if that makes sense. I don't know if candy corn is ever homemade, but if so, this might be it.

The spices come out as it dries: sweet clove, mostly, which is lovely. As it changed over, I was afraid it might go burnt on me, but it didn't. The clove might be caramel, now that I'm checking more closely. I'm also catching some vanilla: just a touch, which is also lovely.

It's an incredibly young scent, but it's not too young on me, like Midway was. The way the spices take over is fantastic. I was skeptical when I put it on, but the drydown is convincing that I can wear this as perfume, and not just use it as a room scent.

Trick or Treat starts out smelling like buttery caramel--very nice, but pretty heavy. Oddly enough, though, it's not a linear scent (as I would have expected). After a couple of minutes, it starts smelling like the icing on a cinnamon bun. Now, 10 minutes later, it smells distinctly of spiced cinnamon-sugar. Not at all what I expected, but yummy! (still pretty "heavy" though, more so than Midway)

O delicious yummy goodness that is Trick or Treat! You are scrumptious! I don't smell any actual veggie corn in this at all, I smell just sugar and a bit of honey and vanilla. I am positive that candy corn is the same flavour through the whole kernel, but this scent reminds me of the very tippy white ends of the candy corn. Mmm. Like Sugar Skull '05, I can just imagine the layering possibilities with this one. :P

Edited by Julilla Regina