Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The sticky sweet scent of candy corn! Even cornier for 2009! - cuz corny is how we roll at BPAL!

In the imp: Like a light caramel scent.

Wet: Very, very sweet!

The dry-down: This isn't like candy corn to me at all. It is foodie, though. More like Karo syrup, which is basically just a sweet (glucose) corn syrup. Since corn syrup is used in most processed foods nowadays instead of cane sugar, this is familiar to me. It smells like those cookies in a bag that are supposed to have a toasted or just-baked smell about them--all due to using corn syrup as a sweetener. Those who like sweet foodie scents may like this.

In the imp: Hello, Gluttony, Miskatonic University and Cockaigne! Buttery sugar. Really really sweet. No1 Daughter swooned--this is her absolute favorite kind of scent.

Wet: Omigod, it really is candy corn! and is indeed corny! The super, super sweet fades quickly, but it stays sweet, sorta caramel-y, and candy corn-ish.

Dry: This is different from the other butter-sugar scents. It's grounded, for lack of a better term. Sweet, but not sticky, dry--ha! like candy corn!

Dang, unlike Lewis Black, I LOVE candy corn. I confess that I love butter-sugar-caramel foodies (and the cake foodies like Eat Me and Cake Smash). Verdict: Partial, at least.

First of all, I'm a candy corn fanatic, so I was biased towards this one before it ever even arrived in my mailbox. And once it did, I couldn't get my nose out of it! It smells exactly like candy corn and just makes me crave the evil sugary stuff even more (does it help that there's a ginormous jar of it in the kitchen?) No fancy metaphors here, just one very concise overall verdict: :evol:

Trick or Treat 09

In the vial = yep, smells just like yummy candy corn

Wet = sugary vanilla, pumpkin, with cinnamon and nutmeg spices. It has a slight waxy /plasticy note, but in a good way, it smells like the plastic pumpkins used for trick or treating!

Dry = A maple / caramel scent begins to develop, still smell the spices too.

I am a foodie and will need a bottle of this one.

eta: This is the 2009 edition of Trick or Treat.

In Bottle - It smells a lot like cold, sweetened butter. Like a bowl that is equal parts sugar, butterscotch syrup, and butter.

Wet on Skin, First Applied - Still very sweet, but it no longer smells so buttery, which for me is a good thing. Since I know it's candy corn, I can tell it's candy corn--but for someone who was just smelling it? They might think it was those butterscotch discs.

Dry, on Skin - It gets spicier, and more 'autumnal'. I like it, it's as close to candy corn as I've ever smelled outside of a bowl of candy corn, but I think I'll be content with an imp. It's a very cheerful scent, while still befitting the Halloween season. Unfortunately, it is very fleeting on my skin. The time it is there, though, it has a decent throw and it's very pleasant.

Edited by AlarmAgent

This smells like a light caramel – heavy on the sugar and vanilla, light on the butter – that’s cooking on the stovetop until it gets bubbly and a little bit scorched. I love the candy sweetness, but the burned, smoky aspect is what keeps me coming back for another sniff. It’s almost like a super sweet, foody incense. Want a bottle.

The 2009 version.

In the vial: Sweet but gently, so—the scent has a golden-orange color and a lovely warm, thick softness that keeps the sweetness under control. It's hard to describe, but I like it.

On me: For the first hour, this is a conceptual interpretation of candy corn: warm and golden, thick but with a soft, squishy sort of texture, gentle and really lovely. After the first hour passes, it becomes the precise, glorious scent of candy corn. I wasn't even sure what candy corn smelled like until I smelled this, and similarly I find it hard to describe. Soft, sweet, warm, plush, pure candy corn. I want to gnaw off my own hand, it is that accurate. Wear length is fairly long (5, 6 hours maybe?), but throw is sadly low.

Verdict: The golden warm scent on the drydown is wonderful, but the pure candy corn that it becomes is just breathtaking. It shouldn't, after all of these years loving BPAL, but it still surprises me when the Lab can pin such an elusive scent so precisely—but they do here. This is incredible and incredibly addicting. I was worried that even if it smelled nice, I'd have no reason to smell like candy corn on a regular basis. I shouldn't have worried. I want to smell like this all the time—and I am thrilled to have a whole bottle.

2009 edition and the first BPAL Trick or Treat I've gotten to try ... aaaaand ....it's lovely! It's also not at all what I was expecting, which I guess is a good thing. :lol: I love candy corn, as well as those awful mellowcreme pumpkins Brach's makes, because they're basically a legal delivery system for a heart-attack inducing amount of sugar. It's much spicier than edible candycorn. Nice!

Wh..what?

I've eaten candy corn many a time, it's delicious. However I have NEVER noticed any kind of "smell" that radiates from the little candies. So how does this smell EXACTLY like candy corn to me? It's uncanny! But how?! HOW?? I guess it smells the way they taste, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I love this blend. It's quirky and sweet and FUN. It's gets slightly spicier and more "adult" after about an hour. I love it and will definitely cherish my bottle!

Out of 10: 9

This goes a little caramelly on my skin. It's very sweet, with a subtle hint of spice on the drydown. When fresh, the corn note is similar to Feast of the Greatly Revered ones, but the similarity disappears during wear. It's almost a comforting smell really and it wears very close to the skin. I like it, but ultimately it's not very me.

Got this along with Creepy to have an autumn influence at hand. This one is much superior to Creepy in my opinion.

More complex and pleasing with cinnamon taking off at first, then backing off a bit for the butter to take over. Apple lurks in the background, grinning and the whole effect does make one feel it's an trick or treat autumn night with fun awaiting.

in the bottle..even though i knew it was coming the creamed corn scent still surprised me. It's..exactly that..you can almost smell the tin of the can.

The second it hits my skin the corn scent lightens and it gets sweeter, richer and deeper. ah now this is candy corn, perfect and fresh.

and my skin then devours it...I enjoy it while it's there though..

i'm curious about how this baby ages..should be fun

anyone who knows me at all knows that i pretty much stock up on candy corn in the month of october in order to get through the subsequent eleven months. whilst perusing BPAL to make an order, i came across this bottle. i immediately sent a text message to my fiance: "is it ridiculous for me to buy a perfume that smells of candy corn?" his reply: "as long as it's not June when you wear it, no." the rest, as they say, is history.

upon opening the bottle i fell in love. i smell butter (which i am swearing off of for the sake of my jiggly thighs as well as my lactose intolerance) as well as caramel and butterscotch. i don't get a true feel for candy corn, but this is still pretty amazing.

the scent stayed pretty true to first whiff as it dried down on my skin. it reminds me a bit of Eat Me as well as of Ventriloquist's Dummy - both of which i adore and horde compulsively. unlike some of the other scents, i notice that this one fades very quickly leaving me smelling slightly of kettle corn but it was definitely not unpleasant. if i were a child, poison control would certainly have been phoned as i would surely have drunk the bottle.

Not *exactly* like candy corn to my nose...more like a sugary vanilla. Someone who described it as Karo or corn syrup hit it pretty much on the nose.

2009 Version:

Whoa. I opened the bottle and got walloped with sweetness. I didn't really get the sweet buttery scent of candy corn I was expecting. In the bottle, I actually got a scent that I don't even know how to describe. I decided to give it a try, of course, and on the dry down I started to get the buttery creaminess that I associate with candy corn but this is more like a jolt of caramel sugar. It also has a note in it that I think is similar to Butter Rum Cookie 2008. I'm going to give this some time to age a bit and another chance. I'm a major foody lover but even this one might be too sweet for my blood!

Ver. 2009!!

In the bottle, on my scale of I'm Not Hungry - Chomp!!, it gets an I'm Hungry

On my skin this is very, very warm. At first sniff it is only caramel that I can smell. I gave it a few minutes, notes of sugary clove & pumpkin came forth. Needless to say the carmel was put in the back seat! Trick or Treat on me gets a Chomp!! :joy:

2009 Version

In bottle: Wasn't sure this would work on me (I got it because I ADORE candy corn). Scent is more caramel.

Wet: SPICY! Caramel with what smells like a touch of clove?

Drydown: Still doesn't smell anything like candy corn, but more like mulled apple cider?

Later: Doesn't last a long time, but actually, I do like this scent. It smells like autumn to me and will be fun to wear when the season comes around again! Glad I got a bottle!

In bottle: Where is the candy corn? Pepper all the way.

On me: Pepper, pepper pepper. Not sweet at all

In 10 minutes: Pepper calmed down so did the scent.

One scent Iexpected something totally different from.

Edited by miaa

2009 version.

Butterscotch plastic. Made.of.fail. This must have BPAL's cream note as a component.

BOOOOO. :(

Trick or Treat 2005

This was one of my holy grail BPAL scents - I wore it year round - honest. It smelled great on my skin & even better in a scent locket.

Buttery, creamy, delicious homemade/gourmet candy corn. A perfect blend of fall spices, though cinnamon dolce comes through for me strongly in the bottle.

Aged this is the good stuff and I'd nibble my wrists off wearing it.

Trick or Treat 2009

Even cornier...

I was so ecstatic when BPAL revived this one - Trick or Treat is love for me (as you can read above).

I had high expectations for this! Indeed this blend in the bottle smells "cornier" & smells exactly like ToT 05 (except for that cornier bit...).

However, on my skin I get more of a caramalized brown sugar effect. The note of death for me in most of blends that *should* work for me - it's why I can't wear Sugar Skull (any year...even aged 2004). This makes me sad.

I wonder if this will age well enough to make that brown sugary note mellow but while it smells good enough in the bottle, I've no scent locket any longer and can't think of holding on to this just to "wait and see" because honestly I'm not that patient & right now money is too tight to think about it.

2009 version

Colourless oil. Sweet and foody and candy - this is candy corn, but it has more cakey and honeyed overtones - it's a more complex bunch of candies and goodies than the previous version which was straight candy corn.

Honey and butter and cake! It reminds of a very rich decant yellow cake soaked in honey-sugar syrup. But now there's a hint of something else, something darker and a little spicy, either a spice or an incense note or a wood or all of those, off in the distance.

The sweetness is quickly fading down, though this is still definitely candy, it's turning darker, more caramelised - I feel like I get a bit of the brown sugar/molasses note from Sugar Skull. There is a woody sort of clove note that's not too overwhelming - it's there but it's not dominating this blend.

Smoky! It's sort of like...toasted woody clove or like some woodsmoke on top of the bitter clove with the brown sugar note and some honey-buttered corn. Really interesting morphing and substantially different and more complex from the prior version. It's only lightly sweet on later drydown - a man could wear this. Strong throw & longevity.

Edited by fairnymph

2009 version

Sooooo I sort of love this oil. And I didn't even bother trying it until now because while I do love candy corn in the fall (well, I like the little pumpkins even more), I can only take so much of it, so I figured smelling like candy corn would not really work for me.

Then I tried Trick or Treat. It is not candy corn at all on my skin. What it is: DELICIOUS OMG. It's syrupy brown sugar in the bottle and fresh on, and it turns into a spicy brown sugar/maple syrup blend on my skin -- the warmth of the spices keeps it from being tooth-achingly sweet.It sort of has an edge like it COULD turn to celery soon, but it never does. It's like the best parts of my favorite oatmeal combo, minus the oatmeal. It does turn a little bit candle-y after about half an hour, but it never goes all the way. Love. It would make a great room scent, too.

I can totally understand the creamed corn impression, by the way; if I sniff with that in mind I can smell it myself. This doesn't bother me because I love the smell of corn, lol.

If this comes back this year I'm snagging a bottle. Or maybe I'll try to find a bottle of this version in case it goes different next time. Hmm.

Edited by karen

2009 Version

In the vial, this smells of dark, syrupy, delicious carameled and corn - what a sweet treat, reminding me of Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs! On my skin it lightens as it morphs to give a touch of pumpkin pie in the background, behind the yummy caramel corn... a bit like Jack and sweetened condensed milk, very reminiscent of the older Trick or Treat, though this one is lighter somehow. It has a decent throw... after a few hours it becomes a softer, sweet smell on my wrist, still smelling rather caramel like and delicious. I guess the main difference between this and the previous Trick or Treat is the result of removing the scent that made the chocolate colour in the older version. Either way, this one is lovely!

When two work-mates turned up, they asked who was having a hot chocolate. I let them smell my perfume, which they both liked, and then complained I was making them hungry. ^_^

2009 version

This is actually less noxious than most of the foodie scents I have tried. It almost smells like a caramel flan or maybe caramel popcorn. But I don't think I care for caramel in my perfumes. It's OK but I will not be wearing this again.