Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... This is the scent of autumn night, fires in the distance, with a touch of boozy swoon, playful sugar and thuggish musk.

Mmmm...I get campfires and booze. Very autumnal, somewhat spicy. The sugar prevents the smoke from overwhelming things, but this is definitely a cold night kind of scent. Edited by Shollin

In the Bottle: Sweet booze and the slightest spice. Much fuller than my imp from last year. I can smell the open bottle from feet away.

Wet: Sweet and boozy and freshly powdered. DIVINE soft scent, better than I remember Devil's Night '05 being. It's so soft and feminine but boozy and brash at the same time. I can smell the fires of a cold Samhain night and that is delicious. I'm in love again :P

Dry: It doesn't last as long as I'd love it to, but it did survive a few washings so my estimate may be off. It's still powdery and smoky and I love it still.

Category: Fall/Booze

Rating: 4/5; until I try it without so many handwashings

Overall: I'm glad I bought a bottle of this scent this year, I LOVE it! It's much more boozy than last years and the powder is a bit less sickly-sweet as well. I can picture the warm, crackling fires with drunken people sitting around... good times :D

I was lucky enough to acquire a bottle of the '06 version in a swap- thanks dearie!- and I have an imp of last year's version as well (I will update when I've tested that one more fully, but it seems quite similar to this year's blend.)

This is amazing. I can't stop sniffing and dabbing more on. It is another one of those blends that are amazing in that they don't seem like they should be perfume, and yet they are!

This is sexy, but not exclusively nighttime wear. It's something I could wear out in the daytime, to my classes, and I wouldn't feel out of place. I love the sweet, smoky background... it's almost like incense, but better. The booze is a mere hint, which is a relief, and... I think I need to rework my top ten lists. This is definitely there. This was some much needed happiness on a gloomy day. :P

06 version - This is softer than the 05 version and, I think, a bit smokier. The smoke wafts over everything, but it isn't overpowering. The boozy notes are subtle and sweetened by sugar. The sweet notes are fairly delicate and the musk helps to soften the sugar and the smoke. This is very nice and more complex than the 05 release. Definitely on my "to buy" list.

Edited by portalkat

In Bottle: Sweet and smoky

On Skin: This smells almost identical to last years blend. Beautiful sexy dark musk, the mulling spices and the delicious sweetness followed by the perfect autumn smoke note. The booze note does come out more in this blend because I could barely notice it in last years blend. I also get a very, *very* light apple note, far in the backgorund but it does offer a slight tart contarts to the smoke and sweetness. This is very much a Fall evening scent and I love the mood it creates. I am liking the 2006 version better and also would love to use it as a room scent. It has a medium throw but a pretty short wearlength.

Hmm, very dark and smoky when wet. It reminds me indeed of campfires. A touch sweet and a touch boozy with liberal helpings of smoke and musk. Dry, DN is a comforting scent and I'm somewhat reminded of gingerbread cookies(?). Overall, a perfect autumn scent.

Edited by mandragora

Sweet and spicy -- a big warm overcoat of a scent to wrap yourself in on a cold, wet night. One of my absolute favorites.

In the Bottle: A witch (or a puritan) with two cats. Smells like an herbal tonic.

Wet: Sandalwood first, the cinnamon, maybe cardamon and a floral in the background. Intoxicating.

Dry: Now I'm getting basically just sandalwood, but hints of the spices remain.

I have to say this is the best BPAL oil I've tried yet. I may have to order an extra bottle for my mom who is sandalwood crazy :P I was disapointed at first because I really wanted to get woodsmoke, but I can get that with some other oil. This one is really special.

Edited: I have to add now that I've been a BPALer for a while, that this has become one of my favorites, definately in my top five. I even bought an older bottle to supplement the one I already had. It seems that Devils Night gets more spicy as it ages. I like it even more aged than I did fresh.

Edited by Tempest

I've tried 2005's version, so here's the review for 2006's edition.

In the vial: Hmmm... sugary-sweet sticky mens cologne? Ut oh.

On the skin: Unlike 05's, this year's is NOT booze-heavy and smoky for me. This is light, almost like cheap cologne on me. I don't get any fires or smoke. Just this sticky-sweet rot that's giving me a headache.

I'm so sad. :P 2006's version is not for me.

imp: it smells like eating sweet treats by the campfire.

wet:same...but then the musk starts to come out to play...

dry: a little babypowdery...but the musk is still nice. We'll see...later: pleasant and spicy, but still a little baby-powdery. Eventually all babypowder. Oh well. I like the idea of it and the way it smells for a while...but I think I'll pass.

I was a little worried about the "thuggish musk" because BPAL musks almost always go horribly rancid on my skin, but I decided to try it anyway because of all the other lovely sounding notes. And thankfully, the musk in Devil's Night '06 behaves itself quite nicely!

This is so beautiful... smokey and sweet with just a touch of booze and (behaving) musk... a sugared campfire!!! I'm pretty sure I'm smelling some patchouli in there as well. Also, it doesn't change too much from wet to dry down. Some of the sweetness fades and the smokeyness comes out to play a bit more.

This is damn sexy and warm and perfect for doing no good in the middle of the night.

Mmm, sweet smoky sugary musk. It doesn't smell boozy at all, which is fine with me! It's very warm-smelling, and perfect for autumn. I may have to sneak a bottle in with my next order.

Oh, and this is the 2006 version I'm testing.

2006 version....

straight sniff from imp is utterly and completely different from 2005 :P

carmelized sugar...no depth whatsoever....

once applied this actually turns my stomache...all too sweet and sugary and

:D ...plastic....ugh....

not nearly as wonderful as 2005 which i just adore...ah well....

luckily enuff i was part of a decant circle for this one

I smile!

Hot brown sugar, a little bit of spicy incense, and musk. Red musk, I think, black usually goes nasty on me and this doesn't. Everything in this blend is sweet, dark, and sexy. I feel like some gorgeous syrupy dessert wearing it.

Seems like the incense comes out a little stronger after a while, the sugar clears out just a bit, but the basic character stays the same. DEFINITELY one for the Super-Win file.

Lobster Rating

Better than: red satin gloves

this, devil's night, along with all souls, (i think, thus far,) is my favorite of the halloweenie blends this year

it's just sweet and yummy with a teeny bit of spice

lovely

yummy

felt appropriate to write this in here

right now

since it IS devil's night right now

well, ok... it's one-oh-two am so techinally actually halloween

but still. yes.

thank you

*goes back to watching hellraiser and drinking organic red wine*

<3

marz*

I cannot rave enough about Devil's Night. It is so musky, smoky and borwn sugary on me, just perfect! My favorite part of this scent is the hint of campfire smoke that I get, it is so subtle, just like it was in the disance. I do agree that the 2006 version is not a dark/has depth as the 2005, but I think that is an aging issue (perhaps I'm wrong, but it's a hunch). My bottle smells so fresh to me, I think it needs just a couple of weeks or more to settle into itself. It is still great fresh, though! I am definitely going to buy a few more bottles for hoarding, just in case it doesn't reappear again (I know that's unlikely, but with Snow White and all...), because this is a permanent top 10 for me.

Edited by euterpe414

Got this as a decant from a circle, this is the 2006 version.

In the imp: This smells a bit like baking spices I think - nutmeg, clove, maybe even cinnamon?

Wet: I don't know what I smell here, actually. There's a sweetness I wouldn't call this a sweet scent. Something similar to incense - sandalwood? - but not heavy - like someone burning a really nice fragrant wood in their fireplace a few houses down from where you live and you can smell that sweet woodsmoke through the open window. There's a faint smell of cold air and dead leaves but with a lot of soothing sandalwood over it. It's like being inside when it's dark and rainy and cold outside, but I'm warm and happy inside. This is like comfort food!

Dry: Doesn't really change, just stays comforting, like being wrapped up in a blanket with the window open just a crack, and the scent of a fall night (or early morning) coming in. Never noticed anything boozy, wet or dry.

I love this! Definite bottle, and I want to try to track down the 2005 version since it seems there's a lot of love for that one!

*sniff*

:P Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I've run out of superlatives for the Wonderfulness that is the Halloweenie Scents.

Devil's Night is teh S3xX0r. It's simulataneously smoky, seductive, sweet, and spicy. It's like the best spicy cider EVAR being heated outdoors on a cold, crisp night over a applewood campfire. It's light yet strong. I ... my brain's fried. lol I love this, I'm getting two bottles, and my husband can kiss my delicious smelling ass if he thinks I spend too much on this stuff. HE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND. :D

i am getting smoky, musky, dried leaves. at first it was the musk was too masculine for me, ( i love musk, but this musk is just manly smelling to me...maybe it's the booze combination?) however, now that it's dried down, it's a bit better. i think maybe i'd wear this once in a great while, but not often. it's for a very specific mood.

This is very interesting. It's lighter than I expected, but very nice; a complex mix of sweet and autumnal notes, hints of citrus and spice, a touch of dry leaves, some earthy musk which gets stronger as it dries. At this stage it could almost substitute for Shub-Niggurath in a pinch, though much fainter. Then after an hour or so it dries down into a very sweet, very light dry and slightly burnt sort of hay smell. I wish this had a bit more strength on me.

The original Devil's Night is my signature scent..

I adore it, and cannot get enough of it....

So when I found a decant circle for the new Devil's Night - I had to get in on it.

The new one to me is sweeter and a little more boozey...it's delicious..

I love it as well..

It's different than 05 - but it's a good thing.

I can picture campfires and autumn nights and leaves blowing in the wind...

As it dries down it gets a little musky and that great smoke note comes out that I love so much blended in with the sweet booze-like smells.

I have to get this in a larger bottle - not like I'm surprised :P

2006 Version

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Spicy!

Pre-review thoughts: The '05 version smelled like bar smoke on me, so here's hoping the '06 version reacts better.

In the imp: Sugar, musk, and that familiar ginger-y quality!

On skin, wet: Musky sugar. I can't bring the '05 version to sniffable memory, but I like this. Spicy, sugary, musky smoke, but not stale smoke, as I encountered in '05. I'm hesitant to say it, but I like this so far.

On skin, dry: This is surprisingly spicy, and it keeps getting spicier as it dries. It smells like cinnamon, but it could be ginger. Unfortunately, after about an hour, it smells a bit like thick incense, and that's never a good thing for me.

Conclusion/Notes: Well, '06 is definitely different from '05, but in the end, I still didn't luck out. A shame, since, as a Metro-Detroiter, I really wanted to like Devil's Night. :P

Edited by Aredhel

Lovely dark musky and sexy. Not too strong, medium "throw" - okay for me at work after about an hour (my commute). Definitely an autumn scent, my favorite season. Fades a bit too soon on me. Love the smokiness. First order, so far 2 out of 4 winners (liked the Apothecary as well).

Edited by sionnac

Devil's Night 06

In the imp: mmm, the same gorgeous gingery spice scent I got in DN 05. In fact, this verges on almost Shubby ginger, it has a slight lemony tang.

Wet on skin: yup, it's ginger and booze, like 05.

Dry on skin: it's so similar to last year's, only this one has a sharper, lemony aspect to it which isn't there in 05 (may be an aging factor). There's a ginger scent to this reminiscent of Shub, fresh cut ginger root, with a hint of sugar, booze and smoke, and that same fresh, airy musk scent I got last year.

After a while: after about 10 mins, the ginger's bite reduces and the scent is now a gorgeous, sweet, spicy, smoky and surprisingly creamy light musk. It's similar to last year's but the smoky note isn't as strong, but there's a scent to this almost like pepper, which is lovely.

Eventually this mellows into a wonderful velvety musk scent, fringed with hints of smoke and spice. It's not as smoky as 05, in fact the musk here is like Buck Moon's musk! Mmm! It also smells quite foody-sweet at times, almost like coconut or almonds (not bitter cherry-almond, more like sugared almonds served at weddings) with spices. It reminds me of the foody scent in Death Cap mixed with Bastet's spiced musk with peppery smoke on top. It's not a thuggish musk at all, in fact, it's beautiful…I smell a hint of wood underneath, like smouldering sandalwood. It definitely smells like incense.

Verdict: this is almost identical to 05's version, which is a good thing because I adore DN 05…I think I love DN 06 more though! I think this has more ginger, to begin with. This tones down to reveal a sweet and spiced smoky creamy core. It also has less smoke (although the smoke did strengthen with age in 05), and the smoke is like bonfires on the breeze with exotic incense. And, best of all, it also has a fabulous musk note which is much softer, more rounded and warmer than 05's which verged on masculine (but didn't smell too manly for me). This makes for a velvety and sublime autumn skin scent with spices and smoke, a warm and approachable fragrance that's perfect for those bracing autumn nights. I don't find this version of DN to be devilish at all, in fact, it's heavenly.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes, I have a bottle on the way! and I'm tempted to get another…

If you like this, try: Samhain, Death Cap, Bastet, Djinn, All Souls, Port Royal (I swear the gingery note in there is like DN)

Edited by yeahbutnobut