Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... This is the scent of autumn night, fires in the distance, with a touch of boozy swoon, playful sugar and thuggish musk.

Oh I just LOVE this! This may be the first LE that I find myself seeking out as money permits. I have two imps so far...

My description of this will have to be largely visual, as I am not wearing it and I don't remember all the notes...
This is an incredibly soothing, nostalgic scent. It is so light and windy, and yet so warm and comforting. The truth is, in this I smell a woman, a particular woman that I must have known in my mythical childhood. She lives on the cliffs by the sea in a small wooden house underneath windblown cypress trees. She has long wavy hair that hangs down her back and and a kind smile, and she always welcomes me into her home. I like to climb into the loft and lay on her bed looking out through the window at the sea as the wind blows in the cloud cover and evening. I play with the little colored glass that hangs in the window there and I feel so cozy, knowing I am safe against the storm and that any minute now I will go down and eat some of the yummy ginger cookies she has made for me.
It is all there in this for me. so complex, it's hard to believe it is a perfume!

This is so good.

The scent is so unique- I almost can't describe it. It's like sugar, maybe musk, something... It's wonderful. Sweet, deep, a little smoky...

On my skin the sweet notes fade after about an hour, leaving me with this smoky musk. It's just so beautiful. I wish I had more of this!

This smells burnt! Not in a pleasant bonfire way, either. It smells like a scorched pastry.

Maybe I just don't get it. I didn't grow up with proper autumns, nor have I ever participated in any greater Hallowe'en mayhem than trick-or-treating.

Devil's Night reminds me of Samhain, though without the pumpkin/apple and whatever note in Samhain that goes sharp on me. Devil's Night is much more wearable, if applied with a light hand. I mostly smell the sugar, with atouch of smoke and a touch of musk. This was another impulse swap, a 5ml bottle, and it surprised me. I wasn't really expecting this to turn out as nicely as it did.

I was pleasantly suprised by this. I was expecting something that smelled more like hickory smoke, but it actually reminds me very much of a burning candle. Not a scented candle sitting on the table, but an actual BURNING candle, melting wax and all! It was the stragest kind of scent to capture, but I find it fascinating.

interesting. In the bottle this smells like a sweaty locker room. When first applies it kept that B.O. smell for a bit but then a soft, minty scent came forward, thankfully :P Not a favorite of mine but not one I'm willing to part with either, for some strange reason.

In the bottle - Gingerbread. Gingerbread made with rum and molasses ...

Wet on skin - Now it's just the dry spice of a really good gingerbread :D)

Dry on Skin - Richer and slightly sweeter with the molasses rum coming out. I don't usually like foody scents but I do believe I'm liking this one.

Later - Mmmm warm, dry spicy. Likes :P

In the imp: Oooh, it smells a lot like the ginger in Shub, plus something that reminds me of cool night air, plus sexy musk. Wow.

Wet: Yay, the ginger's not going to air freshener on me! And the musk is very sexy, but cooled down a bit by the night-air note. There's a sweet note coming out, mingling with the ginger (to make gingerbread!) and it's not going stale on me like the Lab's sugar notes usually do.

Dry: Drying, the musk gets kind of old-ladyish on me. It's too bad. It sort of goes back and forth between being sexy and being too cloying and heavy. Weird. I guess I'll have to try this again before I make up my mind about it. I don't want to give up, but I'm not sure I can handle the yo-yoing between sexy little devil and cloyingly perfumed old lady.

I took this out and tried it in honor of the new halloween update. It gives me the same instant headache/nausea that I get from Red Lantern and I had to wash it off. It's OVERWHELMINGLY smokey. Off to the sales, for this one.

To celebrate the Halloween update, I put this on today.

It smells even better than when I got it. It smells sweeter and muskier than when it was fresh, and I get that gingerbread note than others have mentioned.

The gingerbread fades when it's dry, making this a skinlike scent, slightly sweet and musky.

I don't smell anything smoky, to me this is very light. I really need to reapply this throughout the day.

Lovely, will purchase another bottle this year :P

Perfect fall scent! It's basically deep rich gingerbread on me. I love it! I only have a decant though...hoping this year's will be similar! It also has a slight wood note in the background. Oh, just lovely!

wet: chocolate? Definitely a sweetish smell.

I get the fires and smoke as well as it's drying. There's something in there that's making the cleavage application sting a bit, but nowhere else. It's turning again as it dries completely. This time it's smokier with the musk undercurrent. Definitely fall, definitely urban grit. For some reason, I'm seeing masculine fragrance... if the scent would stay true as wet, then it'd be a great room fragrance.

Aw hell.... given that it's been an hour or so since application and my head now feels like it's in a vice, epecially across my cheeks and temples, I have a feeling that this little imp will be on it's way out. No new bottle for me!

Edited by Gypsybaby

Bottle: sweet, almost brown sugary with an undertone of da booze.

Wet: this reminds me of the smell of maple extract (to account for a little boozyness) and brown sugar..a spicy, autumn baking sort of scent.

Dry: the darkness of the musk is more apparent, the spice tease still foremost.

Later: complex, the sweet has mellowed and the musk is not thuggish, but fantabulous on me. Very autumn, not so much invoking the devil's night aspect for me (that would be the smell of toilet paper. muahahaha!) but moreso my inner thrill at the season itself, the smell of spiced, boozed something-or-other at a costume party, with the empty wrappers strewn about wafting that sweetness into the air, going outside for a breath of air, closing my eyes and taking a big, sobering breath and smelling all of autumn at once. maaan.

In the bottle: Sweet musk.

On me: Spicy, like cinnamon, gentler than Samhain was on me (this is a good thing, though I also like Samhain.) Very sugary, but a spiced, caramelized sort of sugar. Makes me think of autumn, camping, and is simpler than Samhain... I felt less overwhelmed by it. I agree with all the emphatically positive reviews... until it fades. It dries down to a sharp, spicy musk that, though pleasant, isn't the same as it was initially (smoke, sugar etc), and reminds me more of a generic, spicy musk perfume. Awww.

This is autumn in a bottle - burnt sugar, pumpkin pie spice, leaf piles, golden light. I don't recognize musk, but I do find a hint of something piney which adds an herbal dimension to the sweetness. My nose has barely left my wrist since I put it on. I'll bet this is a fabulous seduction scent, too.

Devil's Night (2005)-

In Bottle: Candy sweetness and something that smells like tobacco.

Wet: Ooh. The smoky smell is...rich, sweet-musky. Wow, that's cool. Gosh, it's fading quickly, though.

Dry: I really like this, and even though it seems to fade quickly there's a soft little hint of it there. I'll wear this on days when I don't want to smell too strongly of anything, but want a hint of yumminess.

Overall: I really like; wish it lasted longer.

ETA, 10/18/06: I have just tried the 2006 blend of this, and it has much longer staying power this time! Smoky-sweet; I never lose the smokiness and it is indeed the smokiness of a wood-and-leaf fire, not of tobacco. This has just jumped higher on my favorites list, and I may need a bigger bottle of it before it goes away.

Edited by steffanina

I love this. It reminds me of a more adult version of Chimera.

In the bottle: sticky buns with booze.

On me: a hint of cider and spice comes out. Still very sticky bun. It's a soft skin scent.

Devil's Night (2006) is wonderful. It's sweet, musky, a little spicy, and very appropriate for a fall scent. At first the sugar/candy is there a little bit, then that fades and the musk announces itself. I didn't get fires in the distance, although to me it does smell like Samhain from far away, with just a hint of apple or cider. That's a good thing because I wanted so much to like Samhain but didn't. Devil's Night might be the fall scent I've been hoping for. It's kind of subtle on me, not a lot of throw so far. It reminds me a bit of Blood Moon without so much of the cinnamon/spicy note.

ETA: 2 or 3 hours later the sugar peeks back out. Musk is the note that stands out, throughout. This is a marvelous scent! I haven't tried the older Devil's Night so I couldn't say how this compares.

edit again: I've noticed that in the final dry-down stage, the booze comes out more strongly than I noticed before.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

I passed on the Samhain scents last year because I was just getting into BPAL, so I'm very glad this one came around again. This is soft, creamy gingerbread spice with just a touch of boozy musk to deepen it. I really do get "bracing autumn night" from this- I went to college in Massachusetts and now that I'm back in Texas fall is what I miss most. This is walking home from the library late at night in mid-October. The leaves are changing and it's just cold enough that someone's lit a fire in their fireplace.

I love this. :P

Concerning Devil's Night, well I have found a new love - again! Only this time I am really absolutely positive that I need to buy more than one bottle of an oil immediately.

I was a bit concerned about the thuggish musk as many others have been, but there was no need to worry about that - the musk blends perfectly with all the other notes.

In the vial: Sugary ginger and cinnamon which is good because I love spices, especially cinnamon :D

Wet: A quick rush of sugar, booze and musk followed by a very smoky note with spices which lasts for at least half an hour :D

Drying/dry: Sugarsweet, spicy, musky light scent :P

Need, need, need!

In the bottle: Boozy musk, tempered by sugar.

Wet on skin: I have never smelled anything with this much of a genuine smokiness. It reminds me a lot of what my dad smelled like to me when I was a kid, but oddly enough there is a kitcheny smell as well.

Dry-down: This one is throwing me off. There is a little too much smoke on my skin to feel like this is a good female fragrance. It seems better suited to a man. I wish I could get my guy to wear scents...I would douse him in this.

I like this, but I may be swapping it. :P

In the bottle: Bourbon, sugar and smoke.

Wet on skin: The booze goes away pretty quickly on me. The sugar is a good dark brown sugar, and the smoke is faint, but there in the background.

On drydown: Beth's musks have always been good to me, and this is no exception. It's a dark, mysterious scent, yet warm. There's barely any throw, but it's the kind of scent that you want to stay close to. I can't stop sniffing my wrist every few moments. The darkness of the musk, the richness of the sugar, a hint of smoke, and the slight sharpness of the bourbon meld into something that makes me want to eat my wrist.

In the bottle: resinous and herbal, yet not as intense as I had expected.

Wet: Oh, lovely! Smokey and spicey. More of a kitchen scent than incense.

Dry: Sweet, smokey, spicey with a wee hint of musk. I've worn Devil's Night three times this week and so far, it is my favorite 'weener scent. I may need a second bottle because I can imagine wearing this scent way past Halloween.

I found this in my stash when I was going through it the other day. I didnt even know I had it. This has been in the perfect location to age, wooden box, in my cold closet. This goes on boozy at first, that goes away fairly quickly. What I am left with is the most beautiful sweet musk I have ever had the pleasure of sniffing. If anyone had questions that this would age well, it does! I will treasure this 5 ml & I am thinkin of gettin another to age while I use this one, cause I see wearing this alot in my future! :P

I was so looking foward to trying this, because I love autumn bonfires.

Unfortunately Devil's Night '06 just smells very burnt and scorched on me. :P

*adds to the swap/sell pile*