Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... This is the scent of autumn night, fires in the distance, with a touch of boozy swoon, playful sugar and thuggish musk.

Got this in a swap over on LJ.

In the imp it was SO strong, I wasn't sure I wanted to put it on at first. But when I did, the lovely smoky scent I was hoping for came right out, as did a kind of pumpkin/cinnamon-y foodiness (or, as my husband has been categorizing scents, "like a scented candle"). Now that it's dry, it's almost got a metallic, blood tangy hint to it. Warm and lovely, the way Devil's Night in Detroit (sort of) is now :P

Wet: Almost indescribable. Air, men's cologne? Alcohol and flowers? Intriguing!

Dry: Air and spice, cinnamon. Maybe some smoke. This clings tight to my skin. It is basically air and dry cinnamon, and things come out and stay a moment and leave, like sugar and flowers. It's as unique as it gets, it's a perfume that's more feeling than scent.

In the bottle: A bit sweet, with a dark, musky base. It's actually hard to get a bead on this one in the bottle:

Wet: Whoa! The musk I know and love so well from Dorian is there, with a bit of a burnt-sugar scent as well as the same boozy note I get from Hellcat. I actually swapped my imp of Hellcat after ordering a bottle of this, because it ends up being everything I like about that scent, along with several others aspects I like even better.

Drydown: Warm and autumny and lovely. The sugar and the musk blend well. The only disappointing thing is that it doesn't last beyond about four hours, but it'll be good for the evening, especially!

In the bottle: Sugary, smoky, boozy, spicy. Could be good.

On me: No staying power. Very light. The others were too concentrated; this one feel a bit weak. Not sure about this one, will have to try it again, maybe in a bath.

Musk and. . . spices and. . . something that brings to mind an ozone charge or a metallic itch--I guess that isn't a very good description but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's like it tickles my nose, but not in a way that would make it sneeze. Anyhow, I was hoping to really like this one, and I don't--it's more . . . meh. It's not that it's bad, it's just not terribly me.

Devil's night went on like a lemon-tinged sugar cookie. I waited for the fires, for the boozy swoon, for the thuggish musk......Oh, there is the musk. A little more masculine than I had hoped.

And then it happened.

Someone replaced my BPAL with a yankee candle! Citrus sage, I think they call it? I am not willing to give up just yet. I will put it away for a bit and maybe resurrect it as a room scent.

I like this a lot. In the bottle I am not crazy about it but on me it dries like cookies baking in the oven. A nutty, cinnamony mix. Delicious. I want to lick my arm. :P

I don't get any musk or autumn wind/leave thing at all. It stays the same on me the whole time.

In The Bottle: Boozy sweet smoke with a bit of spice and some lemon.

Wet On Skin: The smoke rises from my wrist almost instantly, then it gives way to a sugary sweetness. This is like spiced maple syrup with whiskey if you drank it by burning leaves.

On The Drydown: It didn't change much from wet to dry, which is a good thing for me because I love this one. It got a tiny bit more spicy as it dried.

Overall: It reminds me of Gypsy Queen and Medicine Show in some ways only sweeter, with more spicy goodness and the kick of the booze!

In the bottle, this has that overwhelming, foody, buttery-popcorn smell that Sugar Skull, All Saints', and Gluttony have. Ugh.

Luckily, on my skin, this is lovely. Slightly gingery, slightly chocolatey-sweet, this is like light, delicate candy (not overly heavy or sweet) and musk. There's a faint breath of autumn leaves and night air, too. It's very lovely, and softer and sweeter than I expected.

Edited by Sheila

In the Bottle: a little chocolatey, a little smokey, a bit of booze.. this could be good.

On my Skin: Ooh.. cocoa and smoke. I really like ---- hey.. where are you going? No.. don't leave pretty chocolate smell... please... Oh hello, who are you? Thuggish Musk and your friend Booze, come to.. beat me over the head and steal my purse?? That's not very nice.. Great. Now I'm covered in weird baby soap smell.. Damn you Lab musk and your hatred of my body chemistry... damn you!!

Verdict: sadly.. it has to go. The other odd thing about this scent is a back note that I can't help but think smells like the glycerine concoction of "bubble liquid" that you use to make soap bubbles.

I waited a really long time to order Devil's Night because there was nothing else that I wanted from the Samhain scents (except to restock my supply of Samhain itself) and I was a little nervous about the booze and sugar.

However, the promise of autumn nights with fires in the distance was enough to make me not want to pass this up.

In the bottle, I already know that things are going to go just delightfully with Devil's Night. It smells very much like Samhain, but instead of a fruity apple smell underneath the top layer of swirling sweet smoke there's a bit of a gingery spice scent not unlike Shub-Niggurath. I passed on Shub because it smelled too much like cookies (I'm not a fan of smelling like cookies) but this has just a touch of that, so it's not too strong.

Since my particular super power seems to be to make any kind of smoke or wood scent really strong and long-lasting, this and Samhain both do very nice things for me. I get a strong, sweet wood smoke out of both of them...this doesn't have the piney/fir edge that I love in Samhain, but it also doesn't have the too-fruity undertone that overpowers me.

With Samhain I only need one drop to last an entire day. But with Devil's Night I put a ton on behind my ears, in my hair and a dab on my wrists and it simmered down quickly. I can smell it in my hair but it's not too strong.

Sorry to keep making comparisons, but that's what I do -- with Samhain I only wear it in October or on days when the weather reminds me of a crisp early autumn day. But Devil's Night feels like I could wear it throughout the winter without smelling too autumnal.

"Booze" and sugar are almost guaranteed to make me sick -- with the rare exceptions where they are absolutely incredible for no discernable reason. This is one of the ones that works.

Is there white musk in this? Because that's all I get. Just an overwhelming musky, masculine smell that reminds me of old man. :P

I really wanted to love Devil's Night, I swapped and sold and begged vigorously for it because I am a HUGE fan of booze and sugar scents. Although there is a lovely foody smell in the bottle, and when I first apply it, like cookies, it's gone in mere minutes and it's musk from there on out.

In the imp: Strong, sweet orange scent overpowering the background, there's a sweet and smoky note on top. This reminds me a tiny bit of Xiuhtecuhtli in that fashion. Uplifting sniffing from the imp alone.

On me: I can smell the sugar slightly in the middle underneath an orange liquor scent. This doesn't necessarily smell like an autumn night like I would first think of it, but it does have a nice and crisp feeling (probably the citrus taking over) and it's very likable.

Overall: I would definately use up an imp or two of this scent, it is VERY pleasing to smell little wafts of. I love the citrus scent in it, it wakes the senses and lifts my mood. Probably my favorite of all the 2005 Samhain scents.

In the bottle - Sweet and powdery. Like a sweetened version of Perversion with something floral in the background.

Wet on me - Cocoa and sugared fruit, but somehow darker than that sounds.

Dry on me - At first it's predominantly smokey, but it dries to leave a sweet, slightly floral scent, which is very faint and just lingers on my skin.

ETA I have discovered that when I'm "on" this dries darker, fruitier and with a more obviously musky background (the wonders of skin chemistry and hormones I guess).

Edited by Ajila

Woah! When I first put it on it the swirl of notes nearly knocked me over. It was like a swirling rush of leaves, smoke, spice, sugar, and booze...a fall tornado! Then it calms down and becomes warm spiced cookies served with spiked hot cider. I'm going to have to apply it again just to experience that crazy scent rush...or even better, use it as a room scent!

The first time I tried Devil's Night, the boozy swoon punched me in the face and I thought we were gonna have to rumble.

I braved another round and found something totally different. A spicy musk with a breath of autumn air and dried leaves, just as promised. I love it. Definitely has the depth of Samhain without the apple-y smell.

(As an aside, I held up my wrist for my mother to smell without telling her anything about it, and she asked "Is that a Halloween smell?" Very evocative. :P )

This one is sooo complex.It teases me,every time I try it, it smells different. It puts the "trick" in trick or treat!The first time,it was very sweet,and smoky.Then I could smell musk.I was curious when I read of the "thuggish musk",being a former serial thug-dater( :P ),but alas, it wasn't of that variety.Then it all turned to SMOKE and there it stayed!Then again,the first time I tried it I was also trying out :D SAMHAIN!(The love of my life... )They battled it out for a while, Devil's Night was actually ahead for awhile,while it was being a SWEETheart,then..eww...too much smoke.To be fair,I tried it alone,and this time it smelled like...Caramel Popcorn!!It faded quickly,but changed to a powdery incense smell.Holy smokes,no smoke!I could still smell some musk lurking.I was really disappointed by how quickly this fades on me.I keep sniffing my arm like a fiend,trying to get a last whiff.(maybe thats why it fades!can you sniff away the scent? :D )I tried this again today...Right off the bat,a sweet candy-like smell and..then..Corn? I know!It smells just like that sugar corn pops cereal!There is also a rich,powdery,musky smell.I really,really like this one,but I wish it lasted longer.What an interesting scent!

In the Bottle: The oil is a beautiful golden yellow, like a yellow candy corn was liquified into the bottle. Sweet orangey, carmel, buttery popcorn, or candy corn.

Wet: Candy Caramel, slightly sweet.... Mr. Smoke, oh there you are, yummy! Orange and smoke are dancing while caramel plays the tune in the background.

Dry down: Orange, candy corn, smoke has gone to the background, but not in a faded way. It is still very much there. This is very well blended! I think I am in love! :D

30 minutes: Orange goes to the background and plays the bass, and smoke comes out to do some scat while the carmel sweetness plays the horn. Ohhh yeah baby, sexy sexy, sexy!

Over an hour: I smell anise, or licorice! A sophisticated licorice to be sure. She is sitting at the front table watching the band play. But it is not an overpowering scent. It just sits and smoke and caramel are still doing their thing, Orange is apparently on a break. :P

I didn't really get a boozey scent, but this oil is so well blended that I was hard to pick out individual notes. Conclusion, MUST HAVE! Oh yes, you will be mine! :D

I agree with whoever said that it could be worn all fall/winter and not be only an "Autumnal" scent. I wish it lasted longer, but then again maybe not. I love to reapply! Only, I have an imp, and it is going fast! :D And did I mention this imp was courtesy of DarkMouse? Feel the love DM! :D

Using the Wicked Goddess rating 1-5 ~ this is a 5

Edited by atropos

I traded with Stumbeline for Devils' Night, and I am so glad that I did.

This scent is so beautiful and complex and sexy. I am in love. At first it is very sweet and fruity and smokey, but it dries to a very light musky scent with a little bit of smokiness and fruit in the background. I am completely in love.

It definitely requires re-application. I may make a small container of lotion so that I can layer this scent with itself and try to extend the wear time.

I worried that Devil's Night would smell really buttery, but it actually isn't too buttery. The smell that I'm getting is a light spice coupled with a hint of smoke. This spice that my sniffer is catching reminds me of something that belongs in pumpkin pie.

As I let the fragrance settle on my skin, the smoke smell gets a bit heavier, but still not *heavy* or dark. Devil's Night works for both men and women, as it isn't terribly masculine, but my boyfriend probably wouldn't object to wearing this.

I'm such a dork; the fact that this isn't buttery just makes me throw my hands up in the air and go, "All right! No butter? Fine! It can smell like whatever so long as there's no butter."

Would I be wearing this often? Hmm... not sure. It's a lovely autumn fragrance, though, as the electricity of falling leaves coupled with flickering fires is well-conveyed. I think I'll keep my bottle for sure, but I won't be digging around for a spare. It's quite nice, though, and I think that if I changed my mind about how this fragrance is on me, I could pass this on to my boyfriend and he might get a bit of wear on it.

Plus, the bottle's label is just too cool for school.

-doreen

A decant from the lovely astrozombiegirl, over on the alchemylab LJ. :P I debated between a bottle of this and Samhain when the Hallowe'en scents were on their way out, and I ended up with the latter, casting wistful glances at Devil's Night all the while. I'm glad I get to try it, even if I am a little late.

In the Imp: Sugary musk! Mmmmmmmm..... I accidentally poked myself in the nose with the Imp wand on this one, I was so eager to get closer to it. I'm catching some orange, I think, too, and a touch of booze. Smells like a really good man-cookie, if there were such a thing. No smoke yet. There's something here really familiar, but I'm having trouble placing it.... hazelnut? Almond? This is kind of like a super-musky Hellcat.

Wet: Oh, there's the smokiness. And spice.... ginger? Smoke, ginger, orange, musk, sugar, maybe a little booze. That's what I'm getting. This is ringing bells all over the place; I think I had something kind of similar to this once and swapped it, or something... Gods know why, because I'm really digging this. On my skin, there's a slightly plasticky note in there, but, bizarrely enough, it works really well!

Dry: Musk. Sugar. Booze. Mandarin or orange, smoke, spice, in that order, and a feeling of the outdoors-- but the outdoors as in, a street at night, not a stroll through the woods. Devil's Night strikes me as the illicit lovechild of Jailbait and Torture King. It has the same artificial drydown as Jailbait and the musk, booze and smoke from Torture King. And, like any offspring of a seemingly innocent, underage girl and a circus freak would be, it's subtley twisted and quite alluring. This kid grew up in the city, somewhere between the ghetto and the more dangerous, but still trendy, clubs.

Garbage's "Cherry Lips" came on the playlist as I was reviewing this, and it does seem rather appropriate. This is mischievious, slinky, exhibitionist, and deceptively sweet for such a masculine base. If Samhain is the traditional roots of Hallowe'en, this is the modern debauchery: boys in tight dresses and too much eyeliner, trash fires in barrels outside the bar... Devil's Night perfectly encapsulates the idea of a big-city Hallowe'en: an excuse for midnight mayhem, sugar, booze, drugs and slick, glittery lust.

[edit] Oh, how fickle I am! I like this one initially, but after wearing it for a while... I just get tired of the smell. Kind of like Torture King and Jailbait, unsurprisingly. It's a good smell, just not one I want on me. The Boy, or swaps.

Edited by WidgetAlley

On my skin- Devil's night smells super creamy and rich. It's like wearing a warm, cozy chai spice tea. It's incredible and it stays on for ages. This scent is lovely on cold nights.. :P

Ooh! love at first sniff! this is everything i hoped that Snake Oil would be but wasn't. It's just the right amount of heat and spice and sweetness, so yummy and just perfect. it smells a bit like amber to me, but w/o the initial powdery-ness that i get. and just so right. the spice is just around the edges as is the sweetness. it's so perfectly balanced. i will keep it for ever.....my own.....my preciousssssssss!!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm nummy. Gorgeous, warm, boozey, and a touch of something sweet, spice and some musk. This is like a naughtier drunken version of Samhain to me and I absolutely adore it. It's masculine to the extreme with my chemistry so I'll be passing it to one of the boys but damn is it sexy.