Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... This is the scent of autumn night, fires in the distance, with a touch of boozy swoon, playful sugar and thuggish musk.

In the imp this is a fully loaded burnt ginger sugar cookie! Seriously, it's foooody.

Wet on my skin, the poor cookie has been dropped in a pile of autumn leaves. Still wet and not quite crisp. It's being trampled, poor little dear. Smatterings of gingerbread cookie crumbs all wet and dirty :(

Drying down, This is one soggy cinnamon cookie! It's a wee shame. It's an angry little cumby thing indeed and turned crimson with rage! I love this scent, for the cute factor I have pictured in my head. I prefer the sweetness of Ginerbread poppet as my gingerbread scent. I mean this is nice, but it's no poppet! And I know it's not supposed to be a foody scent really, but thats exactly what it is on me!

Cinnamon, red hots. It has something soft underneath, maybe a vanilla that melts the spiciness to my skin.

I am uncertain what year my bottle is, but it is the reason I haven't bought a bottle of Samhain, because this is the perfect autumn scent for me! I work for the renaissance festival in my state, and it rolls over right to the local Halloween festival where many of my fellow actors participate with me. This scent reminds me of the late nights sitting around the bonfires passing a flask of whiskey around hearing the screams of the paytrons in the distance with the scent of woodsmoke and falling leaves in the cold air. Some of my best memories are of those nights. This scent takes me there when I am feeling nostalgic for those times. Love! Edit: I was wearing gypsy moth today and realized the vanilla bourbon in it smells similar to the 'boozy sweetness' in DN!

Edited by Larinessa

Every time Devil's Night comes around for sale, I think about buying it, but don't. This year, after it was cancelled out of a decant circle, I decided to just go ahead and buy a bottle unsniffed because of how I always think about it -- and I am so glad I did! As I have always suspected, this is just. gorgeous.

This is sweet and chilled like the autumn air, warm with the sugar and deep with musk. I really love this. While I love Samhain, this is a less cinnamon-y foody autumn and it really smells like the autumn air, to me. There's a smoky vanilla to this I love, and the "autumn night" seems similar to October, which I also love.

So happy I bought this. :wub2:

Devil's Night 2011 was the first perfume I tried when I ripped open my Weenie box. I put it on the tops and bottoms of my wrists, and was greeted with the same sickly, smokey sweetness that I smelled in the bottle, magnified 10x. The combination of sweet with BOOZY, smokey musk is something new to me, and I'm not sure if I like it yet. It dried down to a sugary musk that I ignored as I was playing with my new phone. Later I applied some more, but this time to my upper forearm and I could smell the cool air and autumn leaves along with the sugar-musk-booze smokiness, which was quite nice. I don't think I can wear this right now, my nose is doing weird things tonight. I hope it calms down by next Halloween, or it will make a great room scent.

I have the 2011 version and I am soo confused by this scent! I love that boozy, smokey, sweetness it has in the bottle, but for some reason it has the same salty quality as The Phoenix does on me. I like it in the Phoenix but I can't get why my skin is taking this and making it smell like tangy salt. I'm not giving up on it yet in hopes that it was my nose, or it will have to remain as a scent locket smell. It really is awesome in the bottle.

Sweet dark golden musk. A bit of smoke. I only catch a *hint* of vanilla on the drydown, and it mostly develops into a sweet woody musk without the smoke.

i finally get to try devil's night! yay!

at first it's all night air (reminds me a little of singing moon) and autumn leaves. on the skin, it starts to get smoky, with some delicious sugar and musk. it's totally unique and sooo nice, i love it! it's autumnal without being spicy or smelling like a candle, and it works wonderfully as a perfume.

I have 2005 and 2009, but haven't even opened my 2009 yet, so this review is for the 2005 Devil's Night. At first, I get a note that is the same as the one in Samhain that goes medicinal on me. Fortunately, it's not as strong as in Samhain (which doesn't work very well on me because of it). The musk is definitely sugary and strong. This has hella strong throw and lasts forever! It's a very autumnal scent, and I can understand the relationship between the burning tires/fires of the night and this scent. It's definitely a keeper.

edited to add: Thanks to rawgirl75, who brought it to my attention that 2009 Devil's Night may be significantly different from my bottle of 2005. At her suggestion I tried my 2009 and it is amazing and completely different! 2005 has the same menthol note as Sahmain, and 2009 completely lacks that note. This is all beautiful musk and smoke. It's very reminiscent of the musks in Smut with a little spice and smoke added. I should have tried this before, because THIS version is just wonderful. :wub2:

Edited by Poenari

2011: I don't know if my nose is broken, but in the vial, this is sweet grass to me, mixed in with dry, autumn leaves. I actually quite like it wet, though. Its plant-like quality to it gets juicier and there is a sweet sugariness that wasn't there before. It's also slightly smokey, but not overwhelmingly so.

This is actually getting smokier as time goes on. The sugar smells a bit burnt too. It's unique, but not for me.

I received my decant tonight and yesterday was Halloween. We walked around in costume scaring children and causing mischeif. This scent captures that whole feeling perfectly. The wet leaves, the smell of candy and costumes and having some drinks in honor of it all.

Drying: Subtle, close to the skin. naughty and a little dark, A+!

Devil's Night 2011: The first thing that jumps out at me is the sugar. It's the same kind of sugar I smell in Lemon-scented-sticky-bat. The sweetness is also very reminiscent of Woods in Winter. As it dries it's sort of a sugar/musk type smell. Very close to the skin is the "autumn night" which smells like damp leaves. I can't pick out any fire/smoke smells and the "boozy swoon" is probably lost in the sugar, musk and leaves. For the life of me I do not know where some reviewers are getting Vanilla (maybe confusing it with the sugar).

Overall I'm surprised how sweet this scent is!

In the bottle and wet on my skin, Devil's Night is the scent of an autumn night and a bonfire. Drying, they're replaced by booze and sugar. No musk to speak of. This is good and I bet it'll age beautifully.

i'm new to these and i'm so happy to see that this one has come out multiple years because it is SO good.

imp: i'm getting something a little similar to october but it's sweeter, only a vague hint of leaves and crispness. there's a sort of something similar to halloween las vegas too, but not as foody.

wet: omg, this is AMAZING! i want to eat my arm. or just nuzzle it. sweetness and crispness tempered by a bit of musk.

dry: i finally understand what they mean by boozy. it's intoxicating. not necessarily alcoholic, but there's the edge there of some mulled cider under the smokiness. no vanilla for me.

stays close to my wrist and i reapplied once during six hours. i thought it was gone except when i was up close but someone asked me what i was wearing, so it might have more throw than i thought.

overall one of my favorite weenies. definitely a bottle and hopefully it'll be back in a year or two.

I finally got to test this one today! :thud: Yup...it's that good.

When I sniffed the decant, I thought it might be too similar to October, but it isn't.

It has a similar vibe to October and Sonnet D'Automne, but very different...sweeter and muskier...and boy do I love this. I'm very glad to have a decant!!! Forgot to mention the leaves in here...amazing.

Edited by Herb Girl

My skin gobbles this stuff up in record time, which does disappoint. It disappoints because for those glorious few minutes before it has dried completely, it smells like sugar-musk heaven with a sweet boozy undertone that gives a playful kick. I'm not going to trade or sell my bottle because I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some miracle will occur during the aging process and it will not disappear so fast if left long enough to mature.

10 out of 10 for what I do get before it goes, though. Bloody beautiful!

DevilsNight11ss-Ti.jpg

No fire, no booze, and no thuggery: there is only sugar. And this season --for whatever reason-- my skin is amping sugar to whoa levels. I can't wear this blend without inducing a severe headache.

It smells like green peppers and something sweet almost floral but not quite. I get no booze, which I love and no smoke or leaves. I get funky green peppers and sweetness. Odd.

It doesn't last long and turns to candle wax. *sigh*

In the bottle this is the leafiness of October with something sweet overlaying it. Maybe a little caramel-apple?

Wet, on skin: yep, caramel apple, with a little of that cold air feeling behind it.

Dry, on skin: still that caramel apple scent without actually having any of apple's characteristic sharpness - it's a faintly green scent that the sugar is making me read as fruit, I think, and dry it's got a little more smoke. I'm not getting any musk at all early on, but the green notes are hanging around. I think of the two I'll keep this one rather than October, as I seem to amp those green leafy notes a lot and don't need two leaf-dominant scents.

The 2011 issue.

In the vial: Spicy and almost fruity.

On me: That hint of fruit persistsalthough it could be the full body of the booze, it almost has an apple vibe. There's some spicy musk hiding beneath and a distinct sweetness floating above, but the scent is remarkably smooth; I get nothing of the fires or spice I was expecting. This is akin to what I imagined Smut would be (except that Smut is unremarkable on my skin): smooth, sweet, carmelized, dark, warm, with just a touch of musk. Scent color is a dark, limpid brown. Throw is moderate high; wear length song.

Verdict: I think I would like Devil's Night more if I hadn't expected something a little darker, smokier, and threatening; as it is it's almost too nice, warm and round and treading the line between sexy and playful. But if I look beyond my preconceptions, Devil's Night is pretty nice. The liquid boozy/fruity vibe isn't quite my style, but it's wearable and enticing. I'll hold onto my impand hope that with aging I may like it even more.

Devil's Night is warm and rich. Every once in awhile you get a slight whiff of fire and leaves, but mostly it's sugary with a touch of spice. What saves it from being too foody is the musk, which makes the blend a bit rougher and different. I'll use this one when I'm in the mood for sweets.

Note: this is for the 2011 version.

In the decant: Sweet smokey musk.

Wet: Much as when sniffed, only a bit sweeter.

The dry-down: Now getting a hint of those burning autumn leaves. So far, I like this better than the 2009 release. As this goes along, the leaves and the sweet smokey musk have blended together in a lovely melding.

In Imp: Wow, not what I expected at all. I smell chili powder, of all things, something spicy, along with the boozy musk that's advertised. I can only assume the 'chili' note is the smoke and fire, but in the imp it is weirdly strong and astringent to the nose.

Wet: Dead leaves, sugar, musk, and something uneasy and a little sickly underneath that I think is the booze.

Dry: Oh thank god this is getting way less weird as it dries. Whatever the hell the chili powder scent was it's going away now, and this is drying into something that really does smell like a sweet autumn wind blowing over sweat-soaked skin, with maybe the tiniest wisp of smoke. The booze has sweetened up, and I can remember of what this reminds me of now - The Unsavory Grave-Diggers. A LOT, actually, just without the 'cold' feeling I get from UGD. It's even getting a touch of strange spice as it dries further. This also reminds me of Mary Read. It has a similar natural/booze mixture to it, like someone chugging cheap brandy on an autumn night while they set somebody's house on fire. I cannot get over how weird of a morpher this scent is, but in the end it kind of works as a Smut + October combo. Strange, but interesting.

Edited by Whisperstilled

I have a decant of the 2009 version. Wet, it's foody, like cookies. Dry, it goes all beautiful spices: cloves and cinnamon mostly, with a smokey background, restrained and grounded by something that smells a bit like leather straps. Very hot, and sexy in a direct, aggressive way. It doesn't tease or entice; it grabs and growls, "c'mere, you." I could wear this to a club, but probably not to the office.

I'm leaving it on my wishlist, to remind myself to get more.