Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... This is the scent of autumn night, fires in the distance, with a touch of boozy swoon, playful sugar and thuggish musk.

Hmm, this smells a bit like The Hell-Gate of Ireland, except not as spicy. The musk, reisen and smoke are nice, but I'm not sure about the Beer!beerbeerbeerbeer! smell going on. Overall, it's smoky and sweet- not candy sweet, but yeasty sweet.
This would be good on a guy.

Rather foody at first, the sugar I think. Smoke's coming out pretty quick though, so it's kinda weird. The smoke is great, though. Mrr.

'09 Version

This is a very smokey woodsy and semi foody scent. I have to admit that I normally dislike smokey scents, but this one is AMAZING! I love the smell of this.

I really need to get this one on the SO.

-EDIT- Also, this one has a very strong throw.

Edited by Catseyes

Devil's Night 2009

In Bottle: Smells very very promising. I get sugar with leaves and fire.

Wet on Skin: Booze and fall and with a bit of apple.

Dry Down: It's definitely get less cold and more warm, if that makes sense.

Dry on Skin: Mmm a lot more spice. This is really nice.

Overall: 4/5 This is really, really nice for an autumn night. Might consider getting a bottle.

In Bottle: sweet and almost bubblegummish, not what I was expecting at all.

Wet: Yay, no more bubblegum! Sweet smokiness, burnt (but not unpleasant) sugar, a touch of booze.

After about five minutes: Here's the bonfire, with a pleasant vetiver. The booze is a nice touch, and not the kind that makes you smell like a drunk. Almost foody. It reminds me of a sweeter St John's Eve, with sugar in the place of roses.

Dry: musky and spicy smoke, a faint whiff of sugar in the background. Lovely. I was a bit afraid of the tugghish musk, but it doesn't overtake the blend.

Verdict: This is a great smoky scent, well balanced and evocative, but I still prefer St John't eve as my bonefire scent of choice, mostly because to my nose flowers > sugar.

Edited by inkaddict

In the imp: mostly cinnamon, a little bit of musk. On me, it goes through a brief, terrifying phase of smelling like root beer flavored bubblegum, and I went, "oh no, it's Smut all over again!" but that phase was over and it went back to cinnamon. It's that deep, smoky, woodsy cinnamon like in Priala...maybe that's what's supposed to smell like a bonfire. The sugar and musk end up not turning to root beer on me, fortunately, which is what they did in Smut, but in this one they still just smell like...sugar and musk, and they give the cinnamon a really sexy vibe. I like this one a lot...it's exactly the kind of spicy-sweet blend that I go nuts over.

Oh, how I lovelovelove this scent (2009). It evokes the musky florals of my long-lost love, Wilhemina Murray (from 2005's Order of the Dragon collection). This one is going to be my go-to scent for the next two years.

2009 Version

OMG - *needs a gazillion bottles of this* I have all of the versions and I love (and hoard) them all, but this is my absolute favorite. This has the perfect amount of smokiness for me and that bit of boozy bite. I'm happy that I'm not getting the strong cinnamon note that others have mentioned. It's there, but definitely in the background and very well balanced. This is my favorite of Beth's smoke note bends so far and even though I live in Southern California, Devil's Night 09 certainly feels like Autumn to me. I am finding so many winners in the Weenies this year. :joy:

ETA - I have now had this on for about an hour and it just gets better. The fine nuances are now coming forward and the booziness is not so *in your face* and it has mellowed down to a sweet, slightly musky booze. The smoke note just sort of swirls around above everything and I keep catching whiffs of the bonfire. :wub2:

Edited by portalkat

This is all spice, smoke and shadows, three things I absolutely love. It's an autumn night heavy with the aroma of apple and pumpkin pies baking and smoke rising from chimneys and bonfires, with the splash of booze and haze of musk making it even more interesting. My skin tends to amp clove and cinnamon (which I definitely don't mind! :D ) so this might have come out spicier with my body chemistry than others'. Definitely a winner for me!

2009 Version

This smells like a darker musk and mulling spices to me. When I first put it on, I got a little of the apple, but that went away rapidly. Unfortunately, I don't really know what the dry down would smell like as this is the very first BPAL oil that has ever given me a rash. :( I don't have particularly sensitive skin, and I don't know what note it was, but I had to shower it off. Too bad, because I was loving it. If you have sensitive skin, I would test lightly first.

Edited by Ellebelle

2009- I thought I would like this, but after it dries down, it becomes astringent and takes on the dreaded "bug spray" essence. Definitely not for me.

Huh. This is.... not what I expected. I smell what I think must be the "autumn night"- I think of it as night air. I can't really describe what it smells like- in some sense, it smells like NOTHING, except it's there. There is a distinct difference between where I applied Devil's Night and my bare skin, so I am smelling SOMETHING but I just don't know what. I also smell a little bit of booze and a little sugar. But no cinnamon (actually, I'm glad, since I've had some bad experiences with burning and whoa-cinnamon amping) and no fires in the distance (major bummer). I'd been wanting to try Devil's Night since it first came out, so I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't smell like what I thought it would, but it's ok because I have another perfume that smells like I thought this would, and also because the "night air" smell is so interesting.

Boozy, spicy and smoky. Truth be told, the booze and smoke overpower the feeling of autumn and the spices that go along with it. The addition of musk & sugar tend to amp the notes of doom. Not going to work.

It has a strongly boozy start and smells rather like bubblegum schnapps [assuming such a thing exists] and dark incense.

Once dry, it's less strongly boozy and bubblegum-like, but it's still distinctly sweet. Oddly, it smells like cinnamon to me now. So, really, this smells kind of like your customary "cinnamon apple spice" autumn room spray -- with a liberal addition of wood smoke.

As it continues to dry over the next hour, it loses some of the spice blend quality (thankfully) and a more realistic wood smoke scent develops. The wood smoke is actually fairly subtle. It's nice and warm and does give the image of fires in the distance. It isn't as strong or barbecue-like as, say, Bonfire Night.

Strangely, I don't smell much musk. Or I guess I do, but I'm just not singling it out as musk. That's a little disappointing. I hoped this would be muskier. But this is sure to age well, so we'll see how it goes. I *can* say that it isn't black musk (something I was afraid of). If anything, I'd guess that it's a brown musk, because it has that same kind of warm, blending-in-ness that scents such as Brown Jenkins have. Almost as if you had a gland that produced brown sugar.

The longer it wears, the less flagrantly sugary it becomes. After an hour or so, it's darker and less immediately fruity or spicy, and more on par with what I was expecting.

So as it stands, it's a sweet, slightly fruity, spicy smoke blend. It's a little bit short-lived, but then again, this kind of blend works better when it stays close to the skin (you don't want to broadcast "I'm drunk and I'm on fire!!' to surrounding people, really).

In the bottle, something is not sitting right with me. Almost like candied fruits, but in a bad way. Thankfully, this does not stick around on, and we have have a predominantly cinnamon blend to me. As it dries, the cinnamon is still there, but there is a 'creaminess' developing. Maybe the booze? While I love spicy blends, I have plenty of them. I sure hope some of the other notes come out a bit more with age, as the description does sound lovely.

This one is everything it says it is. It starts off with smoke on a cool fall night. It then transitions into the smell of the neighbors bonfire, and then going to their house after it's been allowed to die, and having a cup of alcohol, and having candy that is coated in a musky cinnamon sugar.

2009 version:

Sweet fancy Moses, I love this scent. It’s cold and spicy at the same time, and all I could think of when I closed my eyes was a cold, blustery October night – fallen leaves, a hint of smoke on the air, people snug in their warm kitchens, candles flickering in carved pumpkins. It smelled amazing.

What I love about Devil’s Night is that it doesn’t change much at all when it hits my skin. The musk comes out a little more, as does a faint boozy sweetness, but this doesn’t change the scent so much as open it up a little more. On my skin, Devil’s Night is warm and super-spicy – it reminds me of the way pumpkin spice lattes smell and taste, not because there’s anything pumpkin-y about it, but because there’s a particular combination of spices that screams “autumn” to me and Devil’s Night has it in spades. Devil’s Night is easily one of my favorites. I’ll be wearing this all winter long.

"...fires in the distance, with a touch of boozy swoon, playful sugar and thuggish musk"? YESPLZ.

In bottle: Boozy sugary musk. I don't really get any smoke here, just a complicated musky sweetness and the sharpness of alcohol.

Wet on skin: Ahh, here's the smoke, it's a little bit spicy now. The super-sweet booze is there but tamed by the other notes. The musk is like a shape in the shadows rather than being right in your face, metaphorically speaking.

Drydown: The musk makes its appearance, and it warms a little as all the notes settle into each other. It's creamy but doesn't smell of cream, if that makes any sense. An instant top ten.

Edited by ChildofTime

2006 version:

Smoky, musky sweetness with a hint of something that might be booze. Unlike everything else boozy that i've ever tried, though, it doesn't amp into ugliness on my skin. I can definitely smell 'dried leaves' in this. It's a nice, bonfire autumnal scent, like snuggles with candies out in the woods.

2009 version:

In the imp, I get smoke, chocolate, warmth and spice.

Wet on the skin, I get all that, plus a bit of buttery-ness and a touch of orange.

As it dries, happily the orange quickly went away. Then, I started getting more leather.

I'm really not very good at identifying individual notes. But, this has good staying power, and is a wonderfully masculine scent that I really like. It's kind of the love child of Blood Kiss and Haunt's Winchester.

Sweet and spicy at first, but then it's smokey with just a touch of musky sweetness.

I have never smelled previous versions (this is the '09 one) but I am curious about them

now. Reminds me of mischevious fall nights when I was a teenager :)

2009 version

Light yellow oil. Sweet and foody! I get something almost buttery, like caramel-rum, and lots of a Sugar Skull-like brown sugar note. A little bit of heavy musk in the distance and a hint of spice, too.

Much more boozy, like rum and cognac, reminding me a lot more of the 2005 version now. Still extremely sweet, rich, and foody. I think maybe I'm confusing spice with smoke, but I swear there is a touch of cinnamon here, and maybe some light vetiver. More musk, and more complex overall on my skin.

Much more vetiver & musk - almost a little soapy/cologney. Still brown sugary sweet but the overall foody effect has faded along with most of the booze. This is also going a bit bitter, like dried oak leaves - I get the autumn night/woodsmoke feel MUCH more now, and more strongly in this version than the original, which was much more musky/sweet on drydown. Still that hint of spice.

I also swear there is some leather in here, the nasty plastic chemical kind a la De Sade, maybe to convey the 'thuggish'ness? It also makes what started out as such a foody/sweet and thus in my mind not very masculine scent MUCH more unisex, leaning eventually towards masculine a bit.

This is definitely smoky. It's more of a spicy smoke with just a hint of something sweet. I caught a hint of bubblegum here, but it's not very prominent.

Really a nice scent with some interesting elements. This doesn't last for more than a couple of hours on my skin, but that's the only downside here.

This is the '05 version, and it's nothing like what I expected. I avoided this blend for a long time (despite wanting to try it due to personal associations) because I was worried about the smoke and the booze notes, but this is nothing like that, perhaps because it's been aged so long. It's a warm, sweet, delicately cinnamon musk with a hint of night air. FANTASTIC. I get no booze or smoke at all, just delicious musk with some spice and the faintest hint of leaves and sugar. I have very bad skin chemistry for cinnamon, so when I find a cinnamony blend I can actually wear (and this is only the second I've found), I hang on to it. XD The cinnamon here is so sweet and faint but definitely a presence, just adding a touch of spice and complexity to the oil. The leafy autumn-ness is barely there but definitely noticeable and tempers the unexpected sweetness of the blend. This is a keeper for sure, and I might have to find more, as aged as possible, because the subtlety of it is part of the charm.

Like some other blends, this actually gets stronger on me the longer it's on, which is odd but not a bad thing at all.