Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... This is the scent of autumn night, fires in the distance, with a touch of boozy swoon, playful sugar and thuggish musk.

2009 version

This is pure booze with a fire in the background (WAY in the background) in the bottle. Not really something I like.

As it dries the fires come out, and the thuggish musk starts kicking some ass. Mainly my nose. I'm also getting a whiff of ... church incense? What?! Definitely frankincense. How odd. Will have to let this one sit for a bit and beat itself up in the bottle.

Devil's Night 2009

When I first smelled this in the bottle, I had to look at the label again to make sure that I had picked up Devil's Night! I did not recognize the smell at all from my other bottles from years past. I considered not applying it but since I love the other versions I knew I couldn't be disappointed in this years-and I wasn't.

After it dries down it is very musky and spicy and me and I am very, very happy with it. I just had to wait out that initial 30 minutes. It was worth the wait though.

Devil's Night 09

In the imp it's very musky and muggy. Hmm...not my usual type, so I think I'm gonna pass on my locket testing this time.

It's smokey and musky and spicy on, but the musk is mellowing nicely. Oh now damn it! It's softened to a pretty, smokey, incense-y scent. Not too heavy on the incense though. Like a fragrant bonfire on a cool night.

Why? Why Weenies?? Why you gotta do this to me? You know I'm poor right now! The smokey part reminds me of October. Which is why even though I enjoy this scent a whole lot and will most likely keep the imp, however I think I'll have to pass on a bottle.

Well damnit. I didn't want to like any more of the 'Weenies,but this is a freakin winnner. MMMMMM!! It turns spicy and SO lovely on me. I think I may need to seek out a bottle or two...

I really, really want this to be like the description. I'm hoping it changes upon drydown. However, right now, while it's wet, I'm getting juicy fruit gum. Wut?

2009 version

So I must say that I've never had an instant favorite, but this one definitely is. I seriously can't stop smelling myself and telling my friends to smell it too.

In the bottle there's smoke an spicy. Wet it's a sweet spice. Finally after it dries the sweet spice is still there but there's a bit of boozy smokiness to it.

Definitely going to have to get more of this to horde lol.

2009 Version:In the Bottle: Boozy gingerbread?? So weird! It's almost yeasty, ala Cockaigne.

Wet: The same! Oh my, it's quite overwhelming..it makes my throat constrict.

Dry: It does smell like a bonfire..but it might be too boozy for me. Ugh. No luck for me today.

Out of 10: 2

Edited by revinn

This one was too smoke-in-your-eyes with musk on me. I could smell the potential of greatness, but unfortunately it just didn't work on my skin. I may have to try this one out on my husband, though.

2006 version

This smells like baked goods to me, and I also get the boozy rum note. Some wintry spices.

Meh, not feeling it for some reason.

Mmmm! Testing my '09 Devil's Night today. When I first put it on, I would've sworn it had cinnamon in it, but right quick it turned into a more generic spiciness which is dampened by the smokiness of a campfire burning sweet wood started by pouring the booze du soir on the wood. There is a vague muskiness to it that lends the teeniest sourness in the distance, but mostly I'm getting a sweetish, smoky spice. It's quite nice and right up my alley. I'm not sure I'll need a bottle, but I'll definitely enjoy my decant for as long as it lasts.

This is the 2009 version.

Do you remember those Fireball Jawbreakers? This smells just like it :ack:

My first official review. I have been skulking around the site for too long time to get involved! This is my fave weenie so far. Very smoky and spicy, description was dead on! I get a little booze in the background but the cinnamon and cloves come to the front for me.

Wow. If there was ever a blend that would make you smell of bonfires, this is it! Its good but Im not sure if its an everyday kind of blend....but it layers AMAZINGLY with Trick or treat. Hmm...decisions....

Devil's Night '09

Uh...yum! I'm loving this. It starts off very sugary smelling (which I adore) with a little bonfire smoke in the background. As it develops the sweetness stays but the musk and smoke come closer to the forefront. This is just....great. Debating on a 2nd bottle now. I get a little of the musky smuttiness just like I get from teh Smut...but to me, this is better. Maybe it's the sweetness, maybe it's the smoke, I don't know...but I really like it.

Oh, and I got zero spice/cinnamon from this...weird!

I really, really want this to be like the description. I'm hoping it changes upon drydown. However, right now, while it's wet, I'm getting juicy fruit gum. Wut?

:lol: It's not just you! Chewing on a stick of JuicyFruit, or maybe peeling up a BandAid, while standing in line at the bakery... I adore the '06 release, and was delighted when DarkAlice sent me a vial of this year's Devil's Night, but wow, this is hardly the same animal :( It's saltier, more buttery than '06 - a heavier musk, and more sweet bourbon than the piercing white rum I got from '06. The spices are milder, too...

I'll hang onto my decant for a while, to see if a bit of aging won't bring out the rowdiness. Right now, I just smell like Cinnabon & BandAids :rasp:

ETA: Oh man, ladyjc's right - it's Smut musk! Double :rasp: !!!

Edited by tartchef

I tested the 2009 version.

Although this isn't the kind of scent I normally wear, I rather liked it.

The smoke/fire note here reminded me a lot of St. John's Eve, which was a little strong for me. Here, the fire and smoke is still definitely a main player, but it's softened by the musk and sugar. The musk is dark, and reminds me a little of Smut without whichever other musk in there made that scent awful on me.

It lasted a very long time and had more throw than all the other scents I was testing at the time, even though I only used a tiny dab.

Huh. I'm wearing Devil's Night on my skin today (I usually go with a Clocket), and I get nothing but spice. In the decant I get a bit of the Juicy Fruit scent, but the second it hits my skin -- even a droplet of oil on my finger from the cap -- it's spice city. No smoke, no booze, no musk, no sugar. Suusje nailed it: Atomic Fireballs (those are never sweet to me, either). It smells so completely unlike what the notes indicate it should smell like that I started to think I got a mislabeled oil, but I finally got around to checking the reviews here, and I see I'm not alone. So sad, too, because I was really looking forward to sugary, boozy musk with a touch of smoke. I guess it's a good thing I've kept those Smut decants after all even if that one is lacking the smoke. On the up side, at least DN's spice doesn't burn my skin like a lot of these spicy oils can.

Beautiful. I can't really describe this beyond "smoky sweet musk" but that about sums it up. I can't usually do anything with a smoky note in it but this is really gorgeous and dark.

This is for the '09 version.

In the imp: Intially, a whiff of leather. Smoke in the distance. Ivory soap--Ivory soap?!

Wet: Ooh. Smoke and musk. Still that hint of leather and, yes, Ivory soap. Perhaps a recently showered hot guy in a leather jacket at a bonfire? :D

Dry: Smoke. Leather. No booze.

Verdict: This reminds me a tiny bit of Hellhound on My Trail. Sir says it's a traditional perfume-y smell. I think it's too masculine for me, and will be putting the imp in his box, not that he'll actually USE it, but one can dream...

This review is for the 2005 version, which is what I have. This starts off with gingerbread spices, booze, and a soft, warm musk. Its not really gourmand like Gingerbread Poppet or Invasion of the Flesh-Eating Reindeer From Uranus, but its a distant cousin. As it dries, it gets less boozy and smoky with a touch of a light wood. The drydown is lots of smoke with a touch of musk. From the description, I didn't think I'd like this (it sounded too masculine) but its quite nice! :skull:

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Just got my bottle of Devil's Night today. Yay! I was happy to receive it, it was the order I had most looked forward to.

Anyway, upon opening the bottle to take a whiff, I got what many others have claimed - juicy fruit! Upon closer sniffing, juicy fruit and gingerbread - this is the exact scent. The way the scents were dispersed I realised I would get more gingerbread when it hit my skin.

And so - as I tested on my skin, juicy fruit disappeared, what a relief. The gingerbread however quickly turned into a burnt sugar sort of smell. It came across as perhaps a mixture of the fire and sugar and a bit of musk in there to darken it. At first sniff I had the impression it was just mixed spices, which disappointed me a bit due to hoping so much for more complexity from the blend - as so many notes in it appeal to me. So I was pleasantly surprised when I considered it a bit longer and realised how the notes themselves were working together. I went out for a walk in the cool and breezy weather just after applying, the sky was dark and it felt quite autumny indeed. The way the wind hit my perfume scented skin made the burnt sugary smell seem very carnival-esque, resulting in giddy feelings from me due to how well everything worked together in the moment. In a way it made me feel quite mischievous, I guess it lives up to it's title!

This is getting long, so long story short - in the drydown EVERY note came out to play - the musk was there, the sugar was there still surrounded by the bonfire, and there was a distinct splash of what seemed like bourbon or rum mingling amongst everything else. I applied this more than 7 hours ago and the lovely drydown result is still going strong. Definite 10 for me, just as I had expected :joy:

Edited by SpookyBunny

In imp: yuck! WTF was that? *tries again* Oh this is foul! A nasty, damp, smoking bonfire and stale booze!

Wet on skin: oo-er - do I really want to do this? Slightly rubbery musk and sugar with the same acrid, choking bonfire smoke, which is definitely NOT in the distance! A bit like burning rubber tires soaked in Smut! Perhaps a man could wear this, but he'd probably be a man who didn't wash very often!

Dry on skin: I have been curious about this scent for years, so I'm glad I got to try it, but I won't bother to test it a second time! I can see why some people might like it, but I don't.

This is for the 2009 version, which came to me from Gatesofrocknroll's decant circle.

In the imp: Yes. Juicy fruit gum, like others have said. What's weird is that when I smell the wand only, I get the fire smell, kind of like a sweetened, warmer Djinn.

Wet: There's alcohol and musk, and a car smell. Not new car smell, more like lifting the hood of your car after your radiator has boiled over. Burned rubber? I know others have gotten that, and there's a little there for me too, but it's definitely mixed with other problematic under the hood smells.

Drydown: More musk and sweetness. Definitely still car smells- as if a guy who prepped for a date decided to work on his garage project before going out.

An hour after application: Sweetness with darkness. I get faint whiffs of bonfire. Up front smells like my apartment did the morning after a party where a Barney pinata was annihilated- candy, smoky hangover.

Verdict: I'm not sure on this. At the end, it leaves a smell question, "Where have you been all night and what have you been doing, young man?" I do like how the notes come forward and then recede, taking turns. But overall I think it might be too masculine for me, which is strange because I'm usually just fine with masculine notes. I'll try it again in a few days and see what happens.

09 version: I get mostly boozy sugar with a touch of musk while this is wet on my skin, and it fades to the most incredible spicy blend that's soooo good. It is kind of like fireballs, as others have noted, but on me it's more complex. I can still smell a bit of the booze and sugar in the background.

This is my new favorite fall scent. It's heavenly. Have to get a bottle.

Edited by starwild

In the imp: Spicy autumn fires, like leaves burning that someone has thrown on a dark, rich, deep incense.

Wet: The musk just hit me over the head, so yes, one could call it "thuggish". A touch of sugar and some sort of booze. And a ton of burning autumn leaves.

The dry-down: I was really looking forward to the return of Devil's Night. But it doesn't seem to be working on me. All the notes should have been made of win on me. Wish I knew exactly which musk this is, because I think it's the culprit, the note that is causing this to utterly fail on me. Plastic or rubber sheets is not my idea of a good smell. I'll use the decant in my scent locket.