Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Belladonna

The devil's herb, which he cultivates with skill and pleasure. According to lore, the spirit of this plant may take the form of a breathtaking, achingly beautiful woman, deadly to behold. This scent is a tribute to such a dark and magnificent plant: a rich green and floral blend, earthy and haunting.

In the imp: sharply herbal; a lovely, green-tinged oil
On: a crisp, medicinal herbal with a warm woody undercurrent; reminiscent of the leaf litter under the eucalyptus tree at my childhood home.

In the vial, I was convinced that I wouldn't like this. Sharp, medicinal and just strange. I gave it a chance, though.

Wet on my skin, I still found it kind of icky. Not so medicinal anymore, but I got that overwhelming pine scent, which was not really bad but not actually "me", either. Too sharp for my tastes...

Early drydown - I smell like a forest! A deep, dark and fathomless forest during a cold autumn evening. I didn't expect that I'd like this, but it's starting to get nice.

Dry, this is heaven. Autumn has turned to spring without even bothering about winter inbetween, flowers are starting to bloom and a warm breeze is blowing through the forest. Somehow, I'd describe this as bittersweet. I love it! Seriously considering a bottle of it, which I hadn't expected at all, since it was just so strange when it was wet. I'm glad that I gave it a chance.

In the bottle it smells very very green! Woah! Some of my friends said it smelled a bit like Vick's... But when I put it on me, it turns into something more rich and floral-ish. I'm really not sure how to describe it, other than it definitely evokes an image of a naughty, luscious plant of temptation and doom! It is viscous and dark with a crisp green bite. Sometimes I would layer this one with Lolita Lempicka perfume if I wanted to give it a touch of something more sinister.

Edited by MissNightshade

Eucalyptus. Eucalyptus with flowers on top. The flowers make it sweeter and more agreeable to my nose, but it still smells far too much like herbal medicine. I don't mind it, but it's not for me.

In the bottle: Hello, eucalyptus!

Wet: Strong eucalyptus, mint, and some flowery, wet earthy smells. A sharp stab of something in there, too...I almost want to say pine.

Dry: Not as strong, but my my my, that eucalyptus overpowered everything!

Overall: Not bad, but not for me. If you like very green, sharp scents, though, you should definately give this a try.

I'll agree that this smells clean. In the imp I actually couldn't put my finger on what this reminded me of, I could smell mint+something else familiar. I swiped a tad on and after a second CLEANING STUFFFOMG. Unfortunately, I really have no desire to smell like Formula 409 or Comet. As this dried I got some more of the medicinal smell that others were talking about, but its still not for me. However, the final scent, being less 409ish does make me smell my wrist and go "Its so gorramed familiar smellin."

Im weird.

In the imp, this is bitter, herbal and very, very green (in appearance and scent).

Wet on my skin, it develops a bit of an incensy smell, but it's really very reminiscent of Vick's Vapor Rub (as someone else said). Not really sure if I like it.

As it dries, the green, menthol-y quality dies down and it develops a more earthy, sweet quality. It's actually quite nice, though not generally my cup of tea. :P Smells a bit like a forest, with a bit of something earthy and warm underneath.

Really lovely, but not my thing at all. :D

Belladonna smells very sticky. It's a slow rolling of sap along the bark of a tree in a coniferous forest. I imagine elves in pointy, celadon hats anointing themselves with Belladonna before embarking on a woodland pilgrimage. A scent of forest magic, the transluscent green color would be suited to fill a corked vial. In the imp, it looks like a charm or philtre. I couldn't help but watch the green liquid coat the inside as I turned the imp like an hourglass. There's an unexpected whisper of floral layered in the green as if someone picked a few flowers from a winter faery's bouquet and suspended them in the sap.

When I unstoppered the imp of Belladonna, I knew it was for me. A big bottle shall be mine! :P

Belladonna

I bought an imp of this on a whim, it didn't really sound like a 'me' scent, but it sounded so interesting, I had to try it.

Bottle: Dark and forboding. Not sure if I wanna wear this actually.

Wet: I got up my courage and put it on. It is very dark, but it also has this sweet note to it, that I didn't detect in the bottle. Belladonna makes me feel cooler than I actually am, I wear it when my self esteem is down, it makes me feel like I can reinvent myself. :P

imp: pine

wet: pine and maybe vetiver or moss? Something that's threatening to go a bit 'old man b.o.'

dry: the stink threat has faded, and this is a nice, mossy, resinous pine forest floor scent.

If you like this, you might like: Troll, Death of Autumn

First impression: I knew I was going to get in trouble buying them just based on the names. This one doesn't really work on me. I don't know what it is, but there’s just something too... green about the scent. Too heavy, too earthy, too bitter.

Later in the day: Actually, it sort of grew on me. It needed time to wear off a little – at first it's too strong, too much, but when taken more subtly, I think I like it. There’s a weird sort of spike to it, some kind of spice. I really wish I knew what was in this one.

A Different Day: Okay, so this time I put it in my hair rather than on my skin, and I think I like it better worn that way. It's more wafty and less concentrated, which takes some of the overwhelming quality away. This is much better in less concentrated doses.

At first this was not nice on me at all - pine, but sharp and acrid. Made me think of cleaning products. Now that it's dried down it's calmer, a sun-warmed, sap-flowing forest scent. I'm still not sure it's for me though - I prefer my forest scents a bit cooler, like Black Forest.

In vial- very sharp, almost unpleasant to my nose.

On- evil sprite (lemon-lime drink).

Definitely not for me.

Form: Free imp from the lab

In the imp: Not...lovely at all. I dont even want to try this anymore but, I do.

On wrist: Medicinal, and strong to. This smells exactly like this medicine I'd put on my sunburns (which occur frequently) as a child.

Rating: 1/5

In Vial: Strongly astringent! I'm almost afraid to put it on.

On skin: Feels warm when applied and then cooling. Smells very medicinal! I think I am smelling eucalyptus giving the vicks vapor rub scent. In the background there is a slight sweetness of flowers. There is also the hint of something dark that serves to ground the scent.

Later: Still strongly medicinal. Makes the inside of my nose tingle when I sniff my wrists.

just received an imp of this in a swap(thank you) will have to give it more tries, but it does have a very clean, astringent feeling. I think it will be perfect for hot summer days,somewhat aquatic. Pine cleaner makes it's appearance here; either that or a very clean forest!

Edited by carwoman

In the imp this smells like nail polish remover. I put it on my skin anyway though and was greeted with the same hospital smell I found in Cathode with just a hint of BO following along.

Thanks but no thanks!

On me, Belladonna smells like pine and earth. It's not me, so I'll pass it on.

first off, i have to mention that this oil is LIME GREEN in the imp, which i thought was really neat!

in bottle: this does smell a little over-powering, almost medicinal.

wet/drydown: this scent dosen't change much on me, once it hits my skin. thankfully the "on skin" scent is very different from what it was in the bottle. it's a very green/dark/growing scent. a friend of mine grows belladonna and lady's mantle, and this scent reminds me of sitting in her garden on a hot august afternoon. when there is something almost oppressive about the heat, but stil,l i'm pleased to be among all the growing things. there's also something of a "garden earth" kind of smell lurking faintly underneath.

final thoughts: this scent is really pretty. it reminds me so much of my friend's garden that i'll have to get a bottle. i think it will be one of my top summer smells.

Strong herby pine scent off the bottle. I feel forestnymphish with this smell on. It's interesting. I'm not sure what mood I should be in to wear such a scent. I'm not sure it's a smell that suits me in the overall personality-wise sense, but it is a nice smell. An earthy woodsy just worked in my garden kind of smell. It's unique -- not really a "perfumey" smell, but a pleasant scent. I've put it in my keepers and have worn it a few times since when I'm not feeling flashy.

Imp: Because I'm simple, I'm totally fascinated by the fact that this oil is a beautiful bright green in the bottle. When I open the imp I get sharp, overwhelming menthol--eucalyptus, maybe? If there are florals, I don't catch them.

Wet: Muscle rub. I'm thinking there might be some of my old nemesis juniper in here.

Dry: It retains that sharp, menthol muscle rub scent. I will give it credit for not morphing much from bottle to skin, but unfortunately it just doesn't agree with my skin or tastes.

Throw: A few inches from the skin.

Overall: I kind of think this would be awesome to slather on my temples and behind my ears if I had a headache. I'll hang onto it for psychosomatic medicinal purposes.

Belladonna has the dubious honor of being the first BPAL scent I've put on my skin. It is a pretty, pretty pale green in the imp. Irresistable.

In vial: Uh, okay...very medicinal. This is supposed to be a perfume? So much menthol, eucalyptus. Very herby. Like a medicinal oil or rub. Smells like it should clear my sinuses. Checked the forum, hey, other people get Vaporub from this. It's not just me then. Good.

Wet: Menthol. Medicine. Overpowering. I don't want to sniff myself. Begging the smell to go away.

Dry: The menthol vaporub smell is going away. Woo! And there something warm and sweet beneath. It's almost cloying floral, but pretty. Ghostly. Reminds me of frangipani. Mellows out to something that's like sandalwood or incense. Joss sticks from Chinese temples. Disappears very quickly after.

Overall: Interesting. Definitely grew on me. Menthol phase is off-putting, but I find the ghostly floral very intruiging. I had the boy sniff my wrist and he said it was "sweet". So he definitely only got the sweet floral, and not the vaporub. Smells like funerals, and temples and ghost stories. Very weird, but I like.

Edited to add: I put this on yesterday but I can't stop thinking about this scent today. Maybe its because it's my first but I just wish I had my imp with me so I could smell it again. I didn't expect this one to draw me in so much. I reread the Lab's description of Belladonna and I have to say it mirrors my experience of the scent perfectly. That strange, bitter herb scent at first, and then slowly the beautiful, haunting spirit surfaces. Unforgettable. Definitely going to get a bottle in my next order.

Edited by trollgirl

in the imp: very green, very pine heavy. it reminds me of scratch n sniff pine! :P

wet on skin: the pine sweetens. it's interesting- it makes me think of that heavy sweet smell that pine trees get in the summertime in the heat, rather than christmas time pine.

dry down: this oil has stayed consistent on my skin, the throw is average and it's a pleasant fresh smell.

in all: though not for me, if you love evergreen scents, this is a winner! :D

I like the wet stage, with the herbal/pine scent -- it's very green and very dark.

Unfortunately, then it starts to drydown into something like vetiver.

And pencil shavings.

Green vetiver pencil shavings...

I'll have to try it in my hair or something to see if the herbal scent stays...