Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
madame royale

The Saddest, most Melancholy & Wistful BPALs

I guess it depends on your own associations with scents. For example, you may have smelled a certain flower at a funeral, or have worn a certain perfume when being dumped by a significant other, or just associate a scent with a certain time in your life. It all depends on what notes spark that nostalgia for you.

For me, it's Dublin because it has an uncanny similarity and feel to a bodyspray that my ex-boyfriend wore. Also, anything with a strong peach note (Fae, Tamora, Titania, etc) because it reminds me of the perfumes that I wore my freshman year of college and makes me very wistful. I suppose this isn't very helpful given that fruity notes make many people upbeat, but then again, it's about what feels sad to you.

Edited by gravity_always_wins

I second Magdalene. It's a very poignant scent, one that feels like loss.

exactly loss s a good way to explain what i feel when wearing it. it is beautiful yet....filled w/ loss

I love Shattered, but every time I wear it, I get an instant Deja Vu feeling of a scent from when I was a young woman, and at a time in my life when I was a little lost. I feel like that girl again every time I apply Shattered. It's so beautiful that I still apply it every time, though!

Ave Maria Gratia Plena and Ephemera. In both cases I'm not sure what it is that's producing such a visceral reaction of saddness, but it's kind of unnerving.

Ephemera, Ode on Melancholy, and White Moon. There is a quintessential "sad" smell from some of the BPAL blends and these two embody it for me.

Edited by themerrybaker

It's an LE but Berenice is very melancholy to me. I notice that I won't wear it in the winter because that's too much bleakness for one day.

For some reason Tenochtitlan is extremely sad to me. Almost too effective to wear it, and it's such a lovely scent.

Desdemona is one of the most lovely scents of all the BPAL I've tried, but I can't wear it--within 5 minutes I simply want to sit and quietly weep.

My daughter, who often has opposite reactions to scents (or the gift of having the scents that smell blah on me being all sparkling and exciting on her--this is great, btw, because virtually everything we try works on one of us)--had the same reaction, without being told of mine :"why is this such a heartbreaking fragrance?"

Something about Loralei smelled very sad and melancholy to me. I honestly can't put my finger on what it is, but my guess is it's the ylang ylang. Anything that contains that tends to strike a melancholy chord with me.

Then again, so do aquatic scents, which Loralei also is. Even though I don't think either is intended to be a melancholy scent, Tempest and Sea of Glass both produce that feeling for me as well.

Ode on Melancholy & Shroud for me. Just reading this thread makes me want to try everything that has been mentioned, even if I have already tried it before! :P

ETA: It's been a while since I've tried it, but Asphodel, if I remember correctly, seemed sort of quiet & sad.

Edited by sixthsentinel

Ode on Melancholy & Shroud for me. Just reading this thread makes me want to try everything that has been mentioned, even if I have already tried it before! :P

ETA: It's been a while since I've tried it, but Asphodel, if I remember correctly, seemed sort of quiet & sad.

Oh yes.... I agree with you about Asphodel. It's one of my favorites.... melancholy, but in a quiet, wistful way as opposed to a heartbroken way, if that makes any sense.

I died for beauty is a lovely, but very sad scent. it dries down to a lovely subtly fragrant grave loam that is just beautiful.

for some reason i also find The Lady of Shallot to be sad.

also second/third/whatever Wings of Azreal. it's like i'm lost in a forest.

I find Eternal very sad. Also very pretty.

Night's Pavilion is sad in a "my heart has turned to ice" tragic sort of way.

I will second, third, whatever, House of Night and Ephemera, these are very melancholic. I would add Nocturne. In general, lilac, wisteria and violet.

For actual sadness, I would say Berenice, although it is a very cold, contained and interiorized sadness. I guess Melpomene is very sad, but due to memories it brings it is not the case for me.

And Wings of Azrael, which is one of my favorites, has for me more a feeling of abandon than sadness.

Silence.

It isn't sad per se. But the silent contemplation can be painful or simple depending on your mood. It can feel infinite or tragic.

I found Desdemona to be pretty sad as well.