Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
madame royale

The Saddest, most Melancholy & Wistful BPALs

Hello, I've been lurking for quite a while now, but decided to come out b/c all of you seem so helpful and knowledgeable. Although I've already placed my order (and am impatiently waiting), what would you recommend for a scent that would engender a yearning or longing in other people (not me, the wearer!), with a touch of wistfulness? Probably something subtle and quiet as well....Thanks!

I think Tarot: The Hermit might just do the trick for you. :P It's quiet and subtle, but you catch different notes every now and then, which gives it a whistful element and a desire to figure out what each note is--at least for me. :D

It's funny, the first 3 that immediately came to mind for me were:

*Nocturne

*Twilight

*Zombi

Then I realized that all 3 were Funereal Oils, so I think andra's right on in recommending any of the Funereal Oils. Other Funereal's that could work for your purposes are:

*Despair

*Shroud

*Eternal (I've not tried this, but it sounds like what you might be looking for)

*Silentium Amoris (ditto the above)

*Tears (ditto again)

Other non-Funereals that might do are:

*Water of Notre Dame

*Tombstone (this one's not wet and soggy or wistful and flowery like many of those above. It's more dry, dusty, desolate, and abandoned feeling.)

Good luck! Let us know what you choose.

Oh, and welcome, by the way... :P

Ophelia is sad and wistful and ethereal- wilting pink petals and water. It's the perfect weight for summer, also. Not cloying or sticky. This is weird- but two parts Ophelia to one part Snake Oil is oddly compelling but then so is my freakish body chemistry.

Hello and welcome! :P

I would recommend Desdemona and Endymion. (They might make you feel yearny too, but in a good way!)

Howdy! :D

I'd recommend Wings of Azrael. :P

ETA: Count me in for Desdemona. I just tried it again today and I think it fits the word "melancholy" beautifully. :D

Edited by Effluvia

Hmmm, I never really considered Desdemona to be a melancholy scent, quite the contrary (on me). But...I'd suggest Burial. When I want to wallow in my misery, I wear that. :P

What catalogue scent do you think is the saddest? I'm looking for a scent that is sad, lonely, longing, and wistful.

Wings of Azrael has an element of sweet sadness to it, a kind of regret, perhaps? I don't know exactly how to explain it, but it is a lovely, sombre scent.

Yes, House of Night, and also Nosferatu (it smells like longing to me...) and Wings of Azrael.

House of Night. Like Eros said, sad and beautiful. It's like a damaged childhood seen through the wistful eyes of a compassionate adult.

I'm looking for a scent that is sad, lonely, longing, and wistful.

I haven't tried it myself, but I was browsing the Illyria reviews yesterday, and saw Desdemona described as an extremely sad scent (though possibly not a lonely one in the way you mean).

Desdemona, to my nose, is not sad, it is more watery and pensive, maybe? Very floral and clean, though.

There is a bit of a resonating sadness to Cathedral. For some reason, I keep picturing Michelangelo's La Pieta when I smell this.