Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Sloth

Thick, dark, sluggish and heavy with indolence: vetiver over black myrrh.

I will have to retest this one. I have what I assume to be an aged half-imp (it's tarted), and when I first tested it, I spiraled into a depression. Must try again when I'm on an even keel. :P

Funny how scent can affect so strongly.

In the vial it smells of sweet myrrh (a bit bitter, the one in Wings of Azrael?) and gritty vetiver. On, wet, it is an earthy myrrh. Dark brown, humid, upturned and sweet earth. This is the earth note that I like the most from all those I have tried so far. On me, it is the most true to how the soil smells when it has rained, which is a scent I love. The throw is just myrrh, though. A bit darkened myrrh, but I do not especifically perceive the vetiver.

As it dries down, the earth note becomes more dry (duh :P) on to the vetiver note as I know it from the lab. I like it a little bit less. I don't know why, I think it would make a nice room scent. Overall, very nice.

On "drier" dry down it becomes very, very dark, wow!

Sloth

In the Imp: Myrrh, almost a myrrh single note, but with a green tang; I'm thinking that's the vertiver trying to peek out.

On me, wet: Myrrh, and green cedar... I don't even know if there's cedar in this blend, but, there ya go. I'm thinking that the "greeness" of the cedar might be the vertiver.

Initial Drydown: The myrrh is intensifying, I didn't think that was possible with this blend. The greeness (vertiver?) is fading to a spicy note that most people associate with carnation. There's no carnation in this though, I'd be wailing if there was.

Mid Drydown: This is a slow morpher.... I'm still getting the scent of the initial drydown some twenty minutes later.

Final Drydown: The cedar is strengthening and becoming sweeter, and the green/ spicy vertiver has given way to something powdery. I'm thinking this is the myrrh. The talcyness of this is giving the headiness in this a soft clean base.

Verdict: I like this, it's a heady blend, not for warm weather surely, would be very good if you're going somewhere where you need a scent that masks the scent of your surroundings, like a cigar club for instance. Also a great winter blend. Apply with a light hand, moderate throw, and moderate longevity.

Heavy and thick, Sloth is very strong and lasts a long time. At first the vetiver is mixing with the myrrh and smells almost metallic to me. But after a while the heavy, sweet myrrh comes out on top. It's the same myrrh that I smell in Penitence. Even later, after more drying, Sloth reminds me a lot of Laudanum, which also has myrrh. Myrrh is so weird. People call this masculine, and I guess I could see that. People say that myrrh is bitter. But to me, this myrrh is heavy, sweet, and almost powdery. Sloth isn't something I would wear often, but I might keep it around just for when I'm in the mood. I do like the extended Laudanum-esque drying part of it. Lasts and lasts.....

This is an exceptionally strong scent -- one little swipe with an imp wand and it's almost overpowering. The vetiver isn't as strong as I thought it would be; I think the black myrrh is the prominent note. It's really hazy and dark, a little bit smoky.

It's just like it's described: thick, dark, sluggish, and heavy.

When it's dry I don't think I can even smell any vetiver any more, just myrrh. It seems to get a little sweeter over time. I think this would be great for layering with some other blends to tone them down a little.

In the imp, I get all excited on account of the vetiver, but upon application, this is much more myrrh than anything.

It is sweet and almost dirty. Wet, I get a similar quality from other oils that don't seem to share components (Centzon, Penny Dreadful) so I am thinking it is something with my skin.

After this dries it smells like a pleasant version of stage makeup. Sweet, a bit powdery, but with much more that I don't feel equipped to analyze at present...

In fact, all night at work, I had a painful desire to get back into theater, and I realized I had to be influenced by the scent of Sloth.

I agree with filigree_shadow that this is a good one to keep around for layering.

I am very picky, but I will be holding on to this for while longer yet.

Sloth is an indolent mix of vetiver and myrrh. It comes off a bit powdery on my skin, and the vetiver is surprisingly well-behaved. It smells heavy and languorous, like a long, dark sleep.

Not something I'm likely to reach for, but a great capture of the 'sin.'

In the imp: I can pick out both listed notes.

Wet: On my skin this blend initially leans toward more vetiver than myrrh.

Drydown and wear: Myrrh is always a strong note on my skin, and sure enough, the blend eventually has the sweetness and powdery scent of nearly straight myrrh. The vetiver really does vanish pretty quickly, though it is on the "outside" of the blend. As many have said, this scent does an excellent job of representing its concept.

Deep, dark, languid; a particularly nice, smoky vetiver, and the myrrh isn't going to sharp (yet, fingers crossed!). It's a thick rounded scent - there's almost a hint of fruit lurking in it. Fascinating and lovely.

In the imp:

Spicy, and maybe a little bit woody.

Wet:

So far, I'm mainly smelling something musky, and it's gorgeous. I've never worn anything that I've known to have vetiver as yet, but I've heard of its infamous ability to go stinky on a lot of people, so we'll see.

Dry:

Apparently, my skin likes vetiver. This smells sweet and spicy on me, with a hint of that soapy (but not in the bad way) note that Come To Me has on me. I don't smell like soap, but I think it's a similar note. I would totally wear this.

I've had this imp so long I can't remember how I got it....

In the imp it smells dark. Every time I sniff it I think "why do I like this? It's scary".

Once applied, the myrrh takes over. Dark and regal. The vertiver shoots an earthy, slightly dirty (in a good way) greenness through it. Then my skin takes the 2 scents and blends them into a dark, clean, sharp resin. Once dried, the sharpness goes away and is replaced by a gentle baby powder scent. A green resiny baby powder.

Overall: Gender neutral. Soft strength. Calming. Centering. Sloth, indeed.

Edited by surlygurl

Oh Vetiver, how I love thee.

This one is almost pure vetiver on me, with just a tiny touch of bitter-incensey myrrh. Vetiver and my skin get along incredibly well. Sloth smells so wonderful, I can't keep my wrist away from my nose.

I've been wearing it for nearly eight hours, and it hasn't morphed, and only faded very slightly.

5/5. Definitely going on the wish list for a 5ml.

Initial Impression: burnt coffee

On Wet: black myrrh? smells like burnt spice mixed with dirt, but in a good way.

On Dry: earthy, gritty, vetiver really coming out now

Final Impression: really quite interesting. I like it. Earthy, dark, spicy.

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 4

This is one that should not work on me, but does. I would never have tried this if left to my own devices, so... thanks to the lab for the frimp! and for further confusing me as to which notes work and which don´t... vetiver usually *hates* me. I have never had it smell good, and have never tried a blend with it that even remotely works.

This, however, smells good! it is an indolent, slow, leisurely lay around and indulge yourself type of scent. it´s dark and heady, it smells earthy and velvety without smelling musty or sharp. Good stuff! I don´t think it works so well that I will need a bottle, but am definitely hanging onto my imp. Yay for surprises... I may warily tiptoe back towards the world where vetiver can live. hmm. Maybe only when Myrrh is co-hosting, though... am finding that myrrh likes me. *noted*

very heavy and dark, a bit powdery from the myrrh. the vetiver is fairly subtle and not overpowering, this is warm, dark and earthy. i like it but don't love it so i will probably swap my imp.

Imp: Dry, turned earth.

On: Wet, dirty leather and a chewy sort of vetiver note.

Drydown: Old leather, books, and a strange lazy myrrh note. A bit musty on me, though, so not for keeps.

I don't know the notes mentioned in the official description well enough to pick them out, but something about this scent is very familiar and I'm not sure why. It's kind of like that acrid, musty smell you get when leafing through old books or newspapers that have been badly stored and maybe had a little mildew in them at one time that has since dried. On top of that it's a little sweet, a little burnt, a little leathery. Vaguely unpleasant, but interesting. Definitely not something I'd want to wear, though.

Oh. I love this one. I had never tried vetiver until I received a decant of Terrae oil. And I wondered, "Ooh, is this vetiver that I'm loving so much? That's so grounding, and relaxing and peaceful?"

Yes. It is. Because now I have tried Sloth, and I have much love for the vetiver. It just grounds me the minute I wear it -- and I'm trying it tonight when I'm going over to my brother's in my PJ's to watch movies.

It's perfect. <3 Sloth!

In bottle/imp: Deep, dark vetiver and myrrh with spices… and maple syrup?

Immediately on skin: The first sniff I take of this on my hand, it reminds me of french toast with maple syrup. I mean the good stuff with some spices baked in and real maple syrup… not the fake stuff. Of course, that’s just what this reminds me of. It doesn’t really smell like french toast though. This is a thick vetiver and myrrh scent, like the description says. The vetiver is so smoky and the myrrh is thick, dark, and spiced with a rich sweetness.

After a little while: This has changed into something a bit more perfume-like… the thick syrupiness of the myrrh has lightened, but it still lends a strong sweet, resinous, and slightly spiced feel to the blend, while the vetiver has become a little less heavy and smoky.

Overall Impressions: This blend is very deep, dark, and slightly sweet. At first it eerily reminds me of french toast, but then it fades to a less foody mix of dark vetiver and very deep, rich myrrh. I think this one would probably smell great on a guy too, but it’s a very rich scent.

in the imp: smells like spicey amber.

wet: lots of vetiver some myrrh.

dry: powdery vetiver. not really digging this and it smells like medicine.

Another vetiver blend bites the dust. Sometimes they work on me, and sometimes they turn into gasoline pits o' grossness. Yup, you can guess where this fits on the spectrum. Gas, pit, gross. Must go wash it off now.