Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Sloth

Thick, dark, sluggish and heavy with indolence: vetiver over black myrrh.

I received this as a frimp with my last order, and was surprised to find that I like it. I first wore it while couch-potating – it seemed appropriate. (heh heh)

Wet: vetiver and molasses.
Dry down: A dark, almost chocolatey scent, with maybe a little fur. I’d love to smell this with a hint of something with a little bit of edge – lavender and/or orange, maybe?

Verrrrryyy interesting... Edited by Shollin

initial sniff i get a somewhat soury note...still that way when i

apply this :D

but wait!!! after 2-3 minutes this morphs into a deep and thick

incense.....slightly smokey.......i absolutely love vetiver and black myrrh....

it is incredible....this is a winner and a definite big bottle order...... :P

Honestly, this smells like straight up clove oil poured on top of amber.

didn't realise such a musky scent could be so... loud.

Imp

This does smell dark, heavy, and lazy. The myrrh is a much darker myrrh than I am familiar with and the vetiver keeps the mix thick.

Wet

The vetiver is *VERY* dark and heavy. It is so dark that I could almost cough off of its ability to choke the light and air from the room.

Dry

This has a very strong throw and staying power. It is suffocating and so very dark.

I received this as a frimp with a recent order.

This is a very rich-smelling oil. It smells like it should be thick, like molasses. There's a bit of sharpness initially from the vetiver, but when it dries down it becomes sweeter. I didn't realize I liked myrrh so much - it's definitely the note I'm sniffing my wrist for. I like it an awful lot, although more sloth is probably the last thing I need in my life! Decadent stuff.

I also got a frimp of this. Wow, it smells just like sloth. Very dirty and lazy.

The combination of vetiver, which I love, and myrrh, which I hate, makes me a sad girl.

In the bottle: Chocolate and dark molasses. Oh yeah, very much the scent of sloth.

Wet: Myrrh, something green and rich chocolate. Not the sweet scent of chocolate though. Chocolate without sugar. This is a very thick scent.

Dry: That thick molasses scent is back and laying nicely with the chocolate and myrrh.

Overall: Dark, sweet and thick. It gets more resinous the longer it is on my skin but it never changes from that "I'm not gonna move from this spot, even an inch" smell. Yeah, this is the ultimate sloth scent, alright!

Wow, my skin chemistry is weird! On me this is not evocative of sloth at all. This was a bit of an impulse swap, as normally strong vetiver turns to Giant Bog Monster on me, but maybe it was fate. On me, it's a deep, calming, focusing sort of vegetation and incense smell. The vetiver has a sharp, almost unpleasant note to it that keeps me alert, while the myrrh is wonderfully grounding. This is an absolutely perfect study/work scent for when I'm jittery, and it arrived the first day of finals :-)

That said, I still can't decide whether I actually like the way it smells. Vetiver is still a sort of iffy note on me when it's dominant (in the background, I'm extremely fond of it), and I like myrrh to have a little something to sweeten it. This is definitely a utility/ritual oil for me rather than a perfume.

My other study notes are Vinland and Jabberwocky, for alertness...I wonder what would happen if I mixed them? This is probably a a bad idea......

VERY dark and murky. musky. I'm not sure I can handle much of this without a headache. reminds me a bit of cheap drugstore cologne from the early 90's. But it also smells almost like depression, stagnation.

Sloth - I think I’m slowly changing my mind about both vetiver and myrrh. These are two scents that I can’t usually stand, and it seems that lately, they’re both surprising me a lot. In the vial, Sloth smells thick and heavy, and I know it’s pointless to even try it, but I do anyway….and WOW! It turns into a gorgeous, dark, husky scent that is slightly reminiscent of a hippie, but more reminiscent of pure sexy SEX! This scent is similar in many ways to Faustus, only it’s darker and thicker. Sloth was one I thought I’d be passing along – and quickly – but instead, I’m going to keep on wearing it. It’s not the type of scent I’d normally find myself drawn to, but in this particular case, it really works. The throw is moderate and the staying power is really great. I’m positive that one imp isn’t going to keep me happy – I’ll be getting more of this, most definitely.

In the vial: This is sort of offensive. Vetiver over black myrrh.

On me: This scent is incredibly strong, it makes me want to back away. It's a very compelling scent.

Verdict: As much as this scent interests me, I don't think I can wear it. Sadly.

Rating: 2/5

Ah Sloth! Such an indolent name for something I *think* I might be in love with! :P Lately I have been majorly into vetiver- I need it somehow. This imp did not disappoint. At first while wet, it was sharp and acrid, but as it dries down the sweet myrrh mixed with the vetiver and gets very soft and powdery. Dare I say, even beautiful? I like this very much.

In the imp: Dirty and spicy. Definitely smells like it's description. I think Anubis will like this one or at least, it will like him. Damn his chemistry for allowing him to wear the heavier stuff that my chemistry won't allow. I definitely get something sharp in this, underneath all the lazy dirtiness.

On the wrist, wet: There is something sharp and acrid in this... something that reminds me of....

On the wrist, dry: Clove! Oh yikes it smells like clove to me. It doesn't even appear to HAVE clove but it smells like clove.

Final Analysis: *Runs to bathroom to scrub her wrist furiously, then attack it with rubbing alcohol, then scrub it again* Ahem, I am sure this is a nice enough scent for someone else, but for me it turns into if not actual clove then something disturbing similar. Off to the swaps.

I usually like myrrh. And this is a nice myrrh . . . Thick and rich and almost enough to make me forget about the vetiver.

Almost. :P

Not for me, but this is another blend that can make for a good masculine scent, given the right chemistry.

Wet: Super heavy, thick vetiver

Drydown: the myrrh appears, and brings with it a bit of a spicy punch. the myrrh is also intensely heavy, and adds a slightly bitter quality to the blend. This is heavy & dark, definitely embodies the qualities of sloth. It does soften quite a bit as it dries, and isn't as toxic smelling as you'd think (for those anti-vetiver people in the crowd). It's nice if you like darker, resin-based blends.

I can see where this would be considered a heavy blend. I'd read a review in this thread that the wearer kind of had a narcoleptic reaction to the oil - and I wondered if it'd possibly do the same to me.

It didn't, fortunately (glasses aren't that fun to sleep in), but it did make me drowsy and nodding. If I hadn't the TV stimulating my attention, I probably would have dropped off sooner.

It's a sharp smell out of the imp and wet. I get citrusy note while it's drying, then it smoothes out into a not unpleasant blended scent. I definitely will be trying it again.

imp: a sweet spiciness.

on wet: same. It smells rich.

Dry: this becomes a really RICH, spicy, warm scent. I like it! It would be GREAT in winter. YUMMY!

Smells really good on hubby, too.

A keeper!!!!

In the bottle: Woooo, this is sharp. It hurts my nose.

Wet on skin: It doesn't smell spicy or chocolatey to me. It smells very, very strongly of vetiver and myrrh. These two notes work well if they're in small doses, but not if they're the main notes.

Dry on skin: Ack! Now my skin is reacting to something in it and turning red.

Verdict: This is definitely a swap. I don't like it very much and I can't wear it.

Sloth-

In Bottle: Woodsy, sharp, men's cologne-like.

Wet: Sweetish, woody. I hope the sharpness dies down because I think I could like this one.

Dry: I like the notes in this--I think vetiver usually does work for me--but you know what? I'm spoiled. I've been spoiled by Beth's more complex vetiver blends, and so this scent seems a little simple for me! So I will probably not use this one a lot but it's because I like other of her vetiver blends more.

Overall: Simple and nice but not a frequent flyer for me.

I never would have picked this out for myself (vetiver and I are not really good friends), but I got it in a mystery imp pack and wow--I *love* it. It reminds me of the deepest, blackest molasses, spiked with cloves and spice. Good to wear at bedtime.

In the bottle: I can smell the myrrh, and an undertone that resembles patchouli and opium.

Wet: Earthy and resinous. There is something sharper in there that is making my nose tingle, probably the vetiver.

Drying down: This is thick, sweet, and heavy. It is certainly evocative of its name.

Dry: It is interesting how similar this is to Laudanum, and how different it is from Czernobog despite the notes.

Later: Sloth lives up to its name. I just had a glorious nap in a pile of cats, the scent of Sloth wafting around me in a perfect reflection of my lazy mood!

When I first put this on, I thought it fit the name perfectly. It smells like heavy eyelids and sprawling on the sofa, ignoring things that need to be done, and it made me want to sleep. Then it made me sneeze, and I knew it didn't fit the name for me, because I can be lazy with the best (worst?) of them without any problems at all.

Vetiver, definitely, sleepy and masculine and heavy-lidded. I can't particularly identify myrrh, though there is a hint of sweetness behind the vetiver. It's nice, dark and woodsy, but ends up smelling a little bit generic on me.