Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Sloth

Thick, dark, sluggish and heavy with indolence: vetiver over black myrrh.

Vetiver with a bit of spice and musk. It's masculine and strong, but dark and slow. Very fitting for the name.

bought an imp of this from another forumite on a whim....and boy did it pay off! i think i've found a new favorite, and it's one that's a lot different than most of my usual suspects.

in the bottle i gets the vetiver-y burnt grass but also sweet spicy resin. it smells dark, and thick, much more so than it looks - in the imp it is a golden syrupy colr with medium viscosity, but it seems like it should be like blackstrap mollasses.

on my skin, i INSTANTLY love it. the burnt grassy scent of the vetiver is blending wonderfully with the black myrrh, which on me turns beautifully spicy-sweet while still being very dark. this is not an in your face scent but it still has quite a presence. i can tell my scent-slurping chemistry is going to be hanging on to this for hours.

after a couple hours, it's even more lovely. the myrrh just keeps deepening and well, expanding. i don't know if it's exactly morphing but it just keeps getting more complex. every now and then i get a fleeting yet distinct BBQ like whiff of the vetiver but for the most part it's just giving the myrrh a rich smoky deepness that i am just in love with. i'm going to try this on the man when he gets home as well...if it doesn't sweeten up too much on him he'll love it as he is very into smoky & burnt BBQ/bonfire smells.

big bottle? definately! i thought that the moment i put it on and after wearing it, the deal is sealed.

Initial thoughts: Not a combination that thrills me, I'm afraid. I'm not a fan of vetiver on it's own, not really, and this is probably just a little too plain for me.

In the imp: Vetiver, check. Myrrh, check. Does what it says on the tin.

On the wrist, wet: Much of same... this is dark and heavy and a teensy bit nutty, in the way that vetiver can sometimes be.

Twenty minutes later: It's thick and heavy, true... but it's still just a murky, black vetiver scent. I amp vetiver like mad, so I wasn't expecting anything else, but I have other vetiver scents I prefer.

Verdict: Swap

Tl;Dr: Vetiver, and lots of it - dark and murky.

truly a dark, heavy scent as the description implies. nothing subtle about it. a must-have for vetiver fans. its earthiness blends well with the sweet, heady myrrh. i would’ve also guessed that there’s a touch of eucalyptus in this… i smell something minty and medicinal in the background. my husband and i both love vetiver so we’ll be sharing this imp until it's gone.

This is my first encounter on my journey with Vetiver. And Myrrh. :P

In imp: "yuck, what is this?" I actually withdrew from the imp because of the sharp sting.

Wet on skin: Imp smell, no real change. That vetiver sure is unique. So is myrrh. which is which? o.o I dunno, bad idea for me.

Dry on skin: "What, it dried?" Same as before, no changes. One of the notes is sharp and tangy, the other is an almost sweet woodsy scent. It's strange. I don't find it very delicious.

muuuch later: It got sweeter after a few many hours. Almost like vanilla, in that sweetish but tangy way. It's truly weird to me. o.o

My sister said it smelled like a wet basement. Mildew is about right. I thought sloth would be a more soothing, relaxing, luxurious scent. But I suppose this makes sense too. Old and decrepit. Yuck.

Unique experience, I recommend getting a wiff of this. But not bottle worthy for me. Has perfect throw. Strong, but not too far so people smell you before they see you. It has a decent lasting power too. I cooked (ugh, cooking with perfume on is sort of gross <.<) and washed my hands and some dishes, and it lasted through it all.

Now to figure out which is myrrh and which is vetiver to my nose. Off to find them seperate from each other in another scent :D

The throw is a sort of spicy-sweet myrrh, very nice. But whenever I try to get a closer sniff I get a nose full of vetiver (which always reminds me of damp cigarette butts). It's not OH GOD OH GOD GET IT OFF, which is what I was expecting, but it's not good either.

If you don't like vetiver this is not the scent to change your mind!

on wet this gave me a headache - super strong vetiver. not feeling like washing it off, i let it dry. the myrrh peeked out. this is one to use sparingly. masculine and comforting.

imp: smokey myrrh.

wet: gorgeous smokey, sultry myrrh.

dry: this dries to rich, sweet, smokey myrrh.

In the Imp

Why hello there, vetiver! In the imp the vetiver is quite strong. I often have a problem with that particular note overwhelming a blend for me and not really smelling great. I think my only exception has been Death Adder, but generally it’s something that my skin chemistry doesn’t agree with.

On My Skin

This is quite a heavy, thick blend. The vetiver has toned down a bit but is still present. I can’t quite identify what exactly it is but I’m getting a bit of spice from this blend. So far it’s not one of my favorites. Hopefully it will change once it’s dried.

After a Bit

Surprisingly the vetiver is behaving and hasn’t turned into complete nastiness on my skin. This has evolved into a very masculine blend that is rich and spicy. I’m not getting the cellar or basement smell that others have commented on.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent - 2 Throw - 5 Longevity – 4

Overall (not an average) – 2.5

Final thoughts

This might smell nice on the right man, but it’s not something I think I’d ever want to smell like. It’s got huge throw and excellent wear length, but I’m going to have to pass on a bottle. In fact I don’t even think I’ll keep the imp around.

This was a frimp from the lab so thank you lab! :)

I'm really not a fan of vetiver. Myrhh...yes I like! So...let's see what happens.

Wet..it's all vetiver. Smells a little nutty to me, a little woody and slightly like dirt. :(

As it dries the Myrhh comes out...mmmm now it's more incensey and I like it more and more as it dries.

It's not a tame scent at all and takes a really long time to calm down. When it's completely dry is when it's the nicest, it's like a masculine, musky incense that for some reason has a herbal smell to it.

This oil smelled asolutely stunning when I was in the shower and had washed it off slightly with warm water...It smelled like an forest filled with incense!!

How do I get this all the time???

Not a keeper for me, but the boyf will smell gorge with this on as he does with Devil's Claw.

Imp: smoky incense. And strong, too, but I have no idea how long I've had this imp.

Wet: Yeah, all vetiver. And alcohol. O.o

Dry: It opens up a lot, with levels to the vetiver and myrrh... but unfortunately it's still way too smoky and strong for my nose. I think I just got a headache. D:

In the Imp: Oh sweet Jesus :ugh: Its that vetiver that's in Bloodlust and Malediction. My "blend of death" quartet has been completed: Malice, Bloodlust, Malediction and Sloth

Not sure I can bear to put this on..

Wet: I agree with zankoku.. smoky bacon musk for sure. I can sense the nice myrrh in there, but this is way way smoky bacon. And my nose instantly stuffed up.

Drying Down: I'm actually really amping the myrrh here, thank god. And it's making me glad I'd decided to try Priala.. but this one still isnt for me I dont think :lol: This is what I'm reminded of actually: When you go to a sauna made of wood inside, and you pour the water on the really hot rocks.. it's the scent of the steaming wood, hot rocks (seriously!) and a little hot human body. The myrrh in this is actually really nice... This is hot rocks!!

I may have to downgrade to a "blend of death" trifecta.. because this is certainly better than the others listed!

::cough:: Oh! Hello VETIVER! How nice of you to smack me in the face. After a couple minutes of choking vetiver, it seems to recede a little and the myrrh comes out. Wow! This is a gorgeous myrrh. Sweet and incense-y. I'm a myrrh fiend so this is just awesome. However, I think I may prefer Priala as a myrrh scent. The vetiver makes this blend a little too dry for me.

Me and crebbsgirl seem to be trying all the same stuff :)

Oh Sloth, how I love thee. I coughed and waved my hand in front of my smarting nose and watering eyes for a minute as the vetiver genie escaped from the imp. On my skin this turned to rich, deep, and oh so very VERY dark black myrrh. Hello sexy! Good throw, fantastic staying power. A black hole of rich, sinful...slothiness? I really, really dig this. Reminds me of The Great He-Goat a bit, but without whatever note that makes my husband's allergies go haywire = win. Makes me want to retry all the myrrh scents I swapped in the last few months.

I really really really wanted to like this one! Unfortunately, it smelled acrid and old on me... like a book that's been thrown into water and then wrapped in a plastic bag to fester. My body just didn't want to work with it :(

The heaviest myrrh so far, like a very high quality pure myrrh resin with undertones of vetivert. Like you are half asleep in a darkened room chokingly full of burning myrrh, it is warm and dark and you just cant seem to get up.

I could have SWORN this had patchouli in it, but apparently not. I tried this on without seeing the description and thought I was smelling patchouli all day. Not so. Vetiver and myrrh apparently aren't as bad as I thought. No bubblegum scent from either :P Also-- Lasted ALLLL day. Could still faintly smell it 24 hours later. Might have been inducing a headache all day when I wore it? But that could have been due to it being "RMW".

I am definately very sloth.

But vetiver is definately not me!

I get vetiver and more vetiver in this, and nothing to temper it, so it turns to straight burning rubber.

Ok, I've come to realize that vetiver smells awesome on me. :wub2: This smells like heady, rich, smokey, slightly sweet incense. Wonderful! This will be fantastic once the cooler weather comes.

This goes on woodsy with a very sharp, greenish note and drys down on me to incense/wood.

It's not really me and I don't think I will enjoy it on my boy either so off to swaps it goes.

Imp: Smoky vetiver with a touch of myrrh.

Wet: Vetiver and some of that sort of almost BBqed meat smell others have described with vetiver. Teensy hint of myrrh.

Dry: This is intersting. Dark and wicked, a little feral. Strong vetiver with a bit of a weaker myrrh. Doesn't necessarily smell good but smells interesting. Villain interesting. Probably the sort of thing I'd whip out for costume parties or Hallowe'en.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: It has its place and that place is for when I'm dressing up as someone very, very evil. Probably will not bother with a big bottle. Unless I get really into LARPing or something.

Edited by paperrose

In the imp: Interesting.... smoke and ash. From burning paper.

Wet: Very smoky and ashy.

Dry: Now it is a more perfumed smoke. Dark and brooding.

A while later: This went through a brief cat pee stage, but has now settled on a slightly acrid, bitter, smoky and almost OILY perfume-y smell. I don't know about sloth, but this smells like someone really, really mean and nasty. Beautiful, but MEAN. Not at all me. But I might well hang on to the imp for inspiration in creating nasty NPCs in games and playing them.