Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Sloth

SLOTH

From the Seven Deadly Sins collection...

Thick, dark, sluggish and heavy with indolence: vetiver over black myrrh.

Sloth...I have never been close enough to a sloth to know what it smells like, I can only imagine this is very close...dark, unkempt, musky.

*edited to add the official BPAL description*

Ever been in a dark, previously damp basement? Dusty and full of stuff that needs to be taken out and thrown away, and has needed to be thrown out for years, but someone just kept packratting stuff away, with that thick, heavy smell of decomposing wood and paper and oil? That's Sloth.

Obviously not something I'll be wearing often. I'm sitting here yawning, trying to decide if I want to bother with finishing up the reviews I have to do ...

Redolent, heavy-lidded, and dark. It is the smell of deeply oiled wood and brown, sweet myrrh. I almost smell something spicy in here, like a dribble of cinnamon sugar, mixed with the slow trickle of molasses. Masculine, hazy-- it is the very essence of curling up on a couch on a pale grey day, being slothful.

Sloth is very accurate to its name. I put this one on last night, not feeling very tired at all and within 10 minutes of putting this on I was fast asleep. I think I've found my cure for insomnia!! To me it smells just like a huge old library that has been shut up for years, the kind of library with a big old skylight and sun beats in on the books and the old heavy mahogany wood...I would definitely say its more of a masculine fragrance and I won't be wearing it out as I seem to have a crazy narcoleptic reaction to it...I'll be saving this one for bedtime.

Edited by morleigh_s

I expected this to be dusty, but it isn't. Indolent is the perfect word for it. The blend is heavy and slow. It smells a bit like incense to me, very heady. I actually kind of like it. Not for every day, mind.

Sloth

Sweeter than I expected when first applied. Almost a faint woody and citrussy tinge before the vetiver wakes up! Definitely something nice in there lifting the heaviness.

This doesn’t really change much on me from wet to dry, still light citrus over wood made heavy with vetiver and myrrh. I didn’t expect to like it, hadn’t ordered it, but the Lab kindly threw this in as a free imp and I really like it!

Edited by allamanda

I love vetiver so was expecting to rather like sloth...

on applying it, sharp for a minute then softened off and yep, I love it, vetiver, woodsy and dark, yum.

the staying power is incredible, I put it on last night at 11:30ish before bed (after my shower but before bed is the default time for trying new scents for me, lol) but this morning it's still very strong on me, though it's morphed, it smells very strongly of rose, how odd, but good because the vetiver is still hanging around in the back there stopoping it being a flower fest.

definately a big bottle.

in the vial: vetivert and something, thick, black, smoky and sweet. I assume that's the myrrh. It's kinda molasses-y...slow, dark, sweet, and thick.

on my skin: This is sluggish and deep and heavy. I like it a lot. I don't think this is one to wear out of the house, though, it's too weird. :D It's like a magical sleeping potion, possibly a scary

one made by a wicked witch. I'll definitely be getting a lot of use out of this one. I'm totally falling asleep. This is great. :P

Wow. I need :D: now. :D A definite keeper, especially if you're an insomniac. :D

Sloth was a freebie that I didn't think I would like because of the vetiver.

wet: yep, there it is, my nemesis, that dark brownish green feral vegetation smell.

drying: oh, hey, it seems to be fading. the myrrh seems to be beating back the vetiver. now it's mostly dark myrrh. better, but still not really me.

conclusion: Sloth is a heavy, dark, lassitude sort of smell, right on for the sin, but I don't really like that feeling, and it's not my kind of scent. Off to swaps with it.

Sloth is a thick, dark, sweet, heavy smell.

A little does go a long way.

I find myself reaching for this one as a comfort-scent, when I'm feeling blah or like I want to hide.

I don't get a lot of the veviter, just lots of myrrh. It lasts FOREVER, on me, too.

Sloth -in the vial, dark and murky.

On, considering this has vetiver, I'm suprised I don't feel compelled to wash it off. It's an earthy sort of scent with a bit of sweetneess. It does exude an aura of indolence-the kind of feeling that makes you want to sit on the couch and watch the home shopping network all day. It's an interesting oil and I'll use up the imp for those sorts of days :P

Ever been in a dark, previously damp basement? Dusty and full of stuff that needs to be taken out and thrown away, and has needed to be thrown out for years, but someone just kept packratting stuff away, with that thick, heavy smell of decomposing wood and paper and oil?  That's Sloth.

This is a rather accurate description, I'll have to concur.

The myrrh is way, way too heavy for Sloth to truly appeal to me. It's like the damp earth way, way underneath the grass, yet with a light nutty flavour. After a while, the fragrance does lighten up a little, but it's still a very dark, damp scent.

It's not a scent I would be wearing, as I intended to give it to my roommate anyway. I think it may suit him better as it really strikes me as a very masculine scent, and he's quite the lazy bugger.

-doreen

Dark, sluggish and slow, like wallowing on a couch for a week with the flu. Musky and strong, the vertiver in this was a little too much, not much on the myrrh for me so off to swaps with it.

Sloth, to me, is a very heady, dark scent. It's vetiver at it's finest -- definitely the base note vetiver from some of the voodoo blends. Down beneath the heaviness of the vetiver is the myrrh, very soft and subtly spicy against my skin.

It reminds me of the dry-down of Laudanum, and a little of the powderiness from Khepra, as well.

I like it, but not enough to get a bigger bottle of it. It's just too intense, without a break.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :D

First sniff:

Very strong vetiver with a background of myrrh. This does seem somehow sluggish and almonst stagnant, but not in smell, in feeling. I'm a bit creeped out by this one, mainly because of the name...most people don't know about it, but I have a bit of a phobia of sloths and this smells like what I think a sloth might smell like and it's giving me the creeps. :D

Wet on skin:

The myrrh picks up and almost drowns out the vetiver. I'm not sure if I love this or hate this, to be honest. I keep wavering between being creeped out and liking the way the myrrh and vetiver smell together. I don't dislike vetiver, but I'm pretty freaked out by this blend and the connotations it has for me. :D

Dry down:

Myrrh with a background of vetiver. I still can't decide if I want to keep this or not. I'm very ambivalent about this one, constantly going back and forth between liking it and feeling creeped out about wearing it. :P

The bottom line:

I have a feeling this one's going to continue to give me the creeps, so I think I'm going to have to get rid of it. I don't see this emotional reaction I'm getting going away, so Sloth is going to have to find a new home. :D

i got this one from Penance! sloth is the sin that i am most guilty of probably, as i need to set three alarms in order to get up before noon...

Vetiver is a favorite of mine -- in, i am finding, small doses, so i was eager to try this and see what it does with myrrh. iIwas not sure what kind of myrrh this would be, as every variety i sniff comes across as smelling very different.

Right after i applied this, my boyfriend said "what smells good? is that you?" and i gave him my wrist to sniff. He said "ahh, that's it. it smells like Christmas!" To me, it initially reminded me of something like Old Spice...the myrrh must be giving me some spicy associations. After awhile, even more like a spicy men's cologne or aftershave, a bit too masculine for me...and combined with something syrupy, which is how vetiver gets on me when it's too thick and pure.

After about an hour, though, the myrrh mellowed out, the Old Spice departed and i was left with a nicely blended vetiver. I have a feeling this one will last forever, too, it has that sticky, dark, insistent quality that i need in an oil if it's going to last more than 15 minutes.

I don't know if i would order a full bottle but i will probably keep any more imps that come my way. I haven't found the perfect vetiver scent yet for me, though Malediction is close and this is close AFTER the initial manly man smell dies down.

Sloth is odd- very odd. It's indeed very thick and heavy. I find that this fragrance is rather masculine. I don't think it suits my rather feminine style. It would be nice on the blokes though... :P

Ack! Raging vetiver in the imp! :P

Oh dear. Vetiver and I don't get along at all... but I'll be brave. Let's apply an infinitesimal drop and see what happens!

The first ten minutes are pure, strong vetiver and I can't say that I am enjoying it.

But as Sloth dries down, the vetiver seems to take a backseat to the myrrh. It is getting more wearable for me, spicier and a little smoother. It is a very heavy, languid kind of scent, quite fitting for Sloth, but really not my thing.

i was really excited to try this one. i guess the name hits close to home. :P

i smell vetiver and something murky and shadowy! woohoo!

on my skin, i smell the familiar initial tang of the vetiver, and for about 10 minutes, that's all the blend is. when that fades and makes way, though, wow. hello, black myrrh. how are YOU today? slightly powdery, i see. :\

pure dusty powder. alas..

I didn't expect to like this one, but as it turns out, it wound up in my keeper pile. Though it's a bit smoky-sharp for everyday for me, It smells lazy and indolent, relaxing -- it makes you want to sink into a soft bed and lie there enjoying the lovely aroma. It seems vetiver likes me. It wound up sweet on me as well, and I'm trying to figure out why.

So - I'm the only one who smells cola? Really?

This was all Rum & Coke on me. Ah, and it reminded me of my very first college party.

Much too strong and sweet for me - it lasted all through the night and well into my shower.

Sloth has the very odd side effect of making mint toothpaste smell and taste like rootbeer candy. :P

I was really hoping this would work. I mean, sloth? SO ME!

But vetiver? SO NOT ME!

It sort of stung my skin -- it felt prickly. :/ Cinnamon, ginger -- I don't react to either of those. I suppose I'm allergic to vetiver. I'll have to keep an eye out for it in other scents. It was a really sharp, bitter green while it was wet in the vial and on my skin and then it got rubbing-alcoholed-off.

Sorry, Sloth. I hardly knew ye.

i wanted to like this one; sloth is one of my favorite sins. next to gluttony and lust, that is. and sometimes pride.

however, as usual, the myrrh did me in.

mean myrrh... always giving a girl headaches! :P

:P i agree w/ blackrayne i thought wow an actual sloth just *has* to smell like this

wet the vetiver was slappin me around a bit

as it dries the vetiver mellows and a beautiful myrhh, musky scent w/ a touch of vetiver remains.

a dark, heavy scent that is indeed slothful

In Bottle: Myrrh, myrrh and more myrrh.

On Skin: Interesting… it has a bit of a powdery scent. The myrrh is VERY strong and the vetiver makes itself well known as well. This is not a subtle scent, it is in your face myrrh. It’s a bit too heavy for me but pretty nonetheless.