Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Greed

Base and earthy, yet glittering with golden notes: patchouli, heliotrope, copal and oakmoss.

Yes it is earthy. I was guessing patchouli and maybe wood. I have no idea what copal smells like though, so I can't comment on that note. I can't decide if I like it. In fact, I was thinking that it might not get a lot of wear, but my cute roommate really liked it.

His review: "I like it. I don't know what things smell like, so I don't know know why." After I read him the review: "Yeah earthy and patchouli."
:P

On me, this really smells amazingly like a big heap of paper money. I do pick up the woodsiness and patchouli as separate scents if I concentrate, but the MONEY MONEY MONEY smell is the main thing. I'm not sure I'm going to want to wear this a lot, but it is appealing in a weird way.

Imp: Sweet earthy woodsy smell. Very pretty.

Wet: Fresh on, this is like a fresh cedar, which isn't what I expected. It's very earthy and pretty, and kinds of creamy and sweet. There is a vanilla-like sweetness to this--perhaps from the heliotrope. It strikes me as more masculine, but its still right at home on my wrist. Actually, it sorta reminds me of an un-honeyed luperci. Great throw.

Dry: It lands on a golden vanilla powdery resin, creamy and yes, glittery like gold. Yet there is a grounding woodsiness/earthiness to it (patchouli?) that seams to grow a bit stronger with time, but never overpowering the golden woods. Imagine a recnetly-unearthed wooden chest full of golden doubloons! With the doubloons taking center stage, and perhaps a few strands of pearls thrown in.

Overall: Wow. I couldn't stop greedily (heh) huffing this when I was wearing it. This seems like I'd probably wear it more in the fall, but it’s a beautiful resinous wood blend, sweet and utterly wearable. It has spectacular throw and lasts about 8 hrs. I love this, and will revisit it in the fall, since I think it's too strong to wear for summer. I'll probably be slathering some on the hubby, too, since I think it'd be just as sexy on him.

In the bottle: very musky, earthy, vetiver. Oh I hope this doesn't go pencil shavings on me.

Wet: uh oh, pencil shavings! :D

Dry down: vetiver, musky, musty. Wait, what is that? A creaminess has creeped in shyly when vetiver wasn't looking. Ahh, heliotrope, my lovely, welcome! Now I smell like pencil shavings with coconut cream. :P It certainly softens up the musty, pencil shavings.

30 minutes: pencil shavings and coconut cream. This is very soft now.

Conclusion: this is very interesting, but I need to try it again before I decide to swap or get more.

Rating 1-5, on my skin this is a 2.5-3.

Patchouli and copal predominate--for those who don't know copal it's very similar to frankincense to me. I get a fleeting hint of heliotrope as just a whisper of something floral, on top of the smell of the richest moist black potting soil. It's really a wonderful dirt scent; freshly-rotilled spring garden with just a slight whiff of incense. Demeter Dirt fans, take note! It's really too bad my mate hates patchouli with a passion or I'd wear this one on my hippie days. This doesn't have a huge throw but lasts and lasts-3 hours later I can still smell it.

In Bottle: Patchouli

On Skin: Patchouli is quite possibly my least favorite note. This scent screams patchouli. Dirt and incense… dirty incense… earthy, dry, powdery… nothing good. There is a slight sweet note, the heliotripe, and I do like the slightly fresh herbalness of the oakmoss. But that still doesn’t redeem the scent for me, this one is being thrown in the swap pile without a second doubt. A very dark scent, slightly smoky and I don’t get a good feeling from it. Above average throw and average wearing length.

When first tried this scent years ago, I hated anything that smelled earthy. I have a bit more tolerance for earthy scents now, and I got Greed as a free imp again from the lab. On me, this smells much like glorious incense, with a dirt note slithering underneath that comes up every so often.

Did I mention how much I love Beth's concepts madde into scents? This is perfect.

I couldn't quite pin down what Greed reminded me of until I stumbled across it perfectly in one of the past reviews: it smells like money.

This isn't the smell of fresh bills. It's the smell of dirty coins and bills that have been around the block a few times. It smells like the whiff you get when you first open a cash register drawer and the confined scent wells up.

As it dries more, a woody note comes out (the oakmoss?) and gives it the scent of a strongbox full of old money.

While it perfectly embodies its name, it comes out just a bit too musty on my skin. It ultimately ends up smelling like a slightly milder Cathedral for me.

Swapped for, a looong time ago. Thanks, whoever-you-were. :P It's been so long since I've written a review, I'm afraid my nose won't remember how to do this anymore!

In the Imp: Deep, deep earthy brown, wood and soil. Dry, and a little dusty. Actually, something in it reminds me of Fire of Love-- the oakmoss, maybe? I can pick up a tinge of black patchouli, but I'm not getting the glittery-ness of the copal or heliotrope yet. It's nice, though. Sort of.... lazy.

Wet: Dry, dry, dry but sweeter now, brighter and more fiery. The copal is emerging now it's on my skin, and it's surprisingly smooth, but it's still topped by the earthy patchouli and the oakmoss. There's a very faint hint of heliotrope, too, I think... the whole thing is sort of like sunlight through a dusty windowpane, only in liquid form. It's not offensive in the slightest, but it's not great on me either. Oh! Oh! I know! This is the same patchouli that was in Luperci-- what was it called? Golden patchouli or something? Wow, yeah, now I think about it, this smells a lot like Luperci, only..... lighter? Not as deep or dark.

Dry: Golden patchouli, rich and dry and salty, and almost tropical, incense-y copal, slightly sweet heliotrope, and earthy oakmoss. Not bad. Smokey. Smokey, dusty, dry, heavy, tarnished gold. It does conjure up images of wealth; but the kind belonging to old English gentlemen, not the go-get-'em sort of moneymaking I was expecting.

Jury's still out on this one. It's pretty, in a unique sort of way, but I don't know how much I'd really wear it.

Greed - Heavy and bitter, Greed doesn't work on me in the least. It's a very strong scent, and as a previous reviewer noted, it has a strong and sharp metallic tang to it. This is one that I can't keep on me skin as I find it too sharp and slightly offensive. Off to the swap pile it goes.

In the vial:

Heady patchouli

On me:

I will say that a year ago, when I was new to BPAL - I had a healthy fear of patchouli. My experiences with it were pretty much limited to what I would call "hippy patchouli" and often times I associated the smell of dust with the smell of patchouli. So I avoided it. And then I tried "Depraved" and my fears were confirmed! DUST! DIRTY! blech! And so for a little while I avoided blends with patchouli. Even though Greed sounded lovely with its copal and oakmoss. But then I tried Anne Bonny and behold!! PATCHOULI works on me! Actually, in most of Beth's blend it works beautifully on me. So I was afraid no more. And fast forward to now when I feel confidant about trying Greed.

I'm glad I didn't miss out on this for fear of patchouli, because even though the patchouli is certainly obvious in this blend, there is something so unique about it with the oakmoss. It gives it this green, almost spicey, mossy kick in the pants. At first it's just soothing and earthy, warm patchouli and then BAM! Outdoors! Moss! This is definitely *green*.

I will agree with jj_j's review and say that I don't know that golden is the right word for this blend, but it is RICH. It's quite heavy and warm and makes me think of a heavy wool throw my grandparents would use that smelled of perfumes and colognes and tobacco and spices. And I'll also agree with Sarah and say that this is Unseelie's dark cousin.

And then I'm going to say that I think this is even a bit masculine. Not that I woman couldn't wear it, but it does smell quite manly to me.

Final note:

Very nice and definitely interesting, but possibly too masculine for some

Oakmoss and patchouli! This is like a lighter version of The Premature Burial (thank goodness I found something that can replace my beloved TPB when my bottles run out). Greed is a very earthy, woody scent. I am in love!!

Bottle: patchouli and copal..mmmmm...

Wet: add to this a hint of the oakmoss. so warm and earthy...

Dry: well I'll be gawddamned, greed smells good! :P Not much of the heliotrope at this point, but...mmMMmmm...copal!

Later: this is just wonderful, the copal takes the 'OMGhippyshop' affect away and it's just deep and warm and incense-y and yum. I could just sit and sniff my wrist allll day..

bottle:

musky, patchouli

wet:

same

dry:

dark incensey… can't place anything beyond that. Very masculine/cologney

overall:

not for me.

rating: 4/10

Wet: earthy, heavy on the patchouli

Drydown: smooth, silky earthiness. A powdery sweetness comes out--the copal, perhaps. This is so earthy and dirty, but sweet and awesome. The patchouli softens up quite a bit, and this rounds out to a nice, mellow fragrance.

I think I need to find me a big ol' bottle of this.

In the bottle: A rich patchouli, copal and oakmoss mix, rather perfumy and deep.

Wet: Much the same as in the bottle, developing a plasticky scent. I mostly get oakmoss, I think.

Drydown: It stays mostly oakmoss with a bit of a resinous hint from the copal. Very deep woody and spicy patchouli becomes the dominant note, very sensual. Heliotrope attempts to glitter a bit, but it's drowned out by the others - just a faint whisper in the background. Oakmoss comes back to the front from time to time, rather unpleasant and plasticky as it often goes on me.

Overall: This is a very pleasant earthy and woody blend. I get mostly patchouli and oakmoss out of it, with a bit of copal for the depth. I can see how it ties in with greed, being a rather earthy and rich blend. It's not my kind of scent, and the oakmoss note always goes wrong on my skin, but it's still a beautiful rich blend.

Greed

In the imp: whoa, patchouli! Another scent that's got a whopping punch of patch to it. no bad thing though-BPAL's patch is earthier, drier and more incense like than blatant 'essence of hippy'.

Wet on skin: now I get some golden resin appearing-must be the copal!

Dry on skin: this is lovely stuff! Patchouli and copal! Like patchouli incense, but more golden. I've always wondered what copal smells like and I couldn't really make it out in other scents but I'm certain I can pick it out in here-a golden, sharp resin, slightly green and dry, almost herbal. Not as intense and piercing as frankincense. Come to think of it, this is definitely what I smelt in that oil beginning with X that I can't spell. I can also smell the moss as well, but no heliotrope, yet.

After a while: there's a lot more moss at this point-that smooth, powdery, verdigris scent. I'm still getting lots of copal here, and patchouli as well. Still hardly any heliotrope though-where is that soft, sweet, almost cherry-vanilla scent hiding? It may be adding to the powdery scent, but it's not sweetening it as I hoped it would. I do get a Luperci-lite vibe from this scent as well.

Verdict: I really like this earthy, patchouli-heavy blend, and I also like the way it has familiarised me more with copal. I can really pick it out here and it's lovely, all golden and resinous but not too piercing. This is a scent of earthy, mossy ground with sunlight shining on it. The patchouli is nice and strong, the moss adds a soft, powdery feel to it but the only disadvantage about this scent is that I can't smell the heliotrope-a note which I love. I can only barely make it out at times but it's not adding it's sweetness to the scent as usual. But even so, this is a pleasant scent-not sure if it's a keeper yet though.

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: Dance of Death, Luperci, Urd, Omen

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the vial, this is a deep smell of something that is earthy, but the patchouli is well mixed with the other scents giving it a rounded, deep, ever so slightly sweet scent. This becomes much more a smell of green things on my skin, though it’s like green things growing in the earth – probably the moss and patchouli coming through, though thankfully the patchouli is still well mixed. Eventually, for some reason it morphs so that I can detect something that reminds me of coconut... how odd! After a few hours on my skin, I can smell the oakmoss of the blend, reminiscent of Bayou... it hasn’t really faded, as the scent is still strong and mossy.

In the Imp: Earthy, thick and sexy. This definitely fits the lab description. Makes my eyes roll back in my head when I breathe it in. Something in this is making me sort of hungry.... but the lab description says nothing about foody notes...

Odd.

On the wrist, wet: Much less foody now. Definitely getting Patchouli. I like Patchouli. :P This really fits the description. It suits it's name as well, I can't decide if it's making me hungry or turning me on, but whatever it's doing, I want it all!

Drydown: Spicy. This has a note in it that reminds me of tobacco as well. This scent is perfect for a take charge kind of person. It knows who it is and what it wants and it will run you down and take it from you if need be. It's not afraid to be ruthless and it will have it all. This is Wall Street, this is every person who ever married for money and wasn't ashamed, every individual who smashed the fingers of the people below them on the corporate ladder and pulled the person above them off by their ankles... this is power and hunger and ambition and... Greed.

Final Analysis: This is a heavy, sexy, spicy and earthy smell. It is very empowering. Definitely a winner for fall or winter. This has to be one of the most true to description and evocative scents I have ever encountered.

In the imp: dirt and patchouli and oakmoss.

On me, wet: whoa, oakmoss and patchouli and not a lot else. This is like someone's stubbed out a stick of incense on the ground. Dusty but damp.

On me, dry: hmm, this has softened and now the patchouli isn't so prominent. I don't quite get 'glittering', but it's not totally earth either.

Verdict: Very dark, very grounded, not really speaking of gold to me, but of rich, fertile earth and dark spicy musks and woods. Probably the best earth smell I've tried from BPAL - I can't see myself wearing this, but it's one I'll keep a few drops of around to sniff.

It is so reassuring to find a BPAL scent I don't like, because I was starting to think I was just a pure pushover: "yes, let me smell something!! Oh, Beth, I will fall at your feet again!!!!" (I mean, how tedious--and how will Beth ever be able to do her work if the ground is cluttered with fallen forumites in states of worship and distraction?)

So, Greed--well, it brought to mind back alleys and waking up after a night of smoking too much and swilling bad whiskey.

This is odd, because I've never smoked.

First hit: yes, patchouli, dark patchouli, and then a whiff of burning rubber--ah, the cop car has squealed away down the alley.

As it developed I kept thinking of stale ashtrays. :P

Now, if I were addicted to tobacco, this one might have been exactly correct.

Greed is one of my favorite BPAL scents. On me, it's like CK's Obsession with an extra earthy patchouli kick. It's an extremely warm, long-lasting scent.

whoa. Where's all the cedar coming from? Or is that just patchouli, tricking my nostrils?

Mostly cedar, at first, with a little sweet resin in the background. There's also a lot of green in here, as it warms and dries....green, earthy, moist...kind of 'dank', but totally not in a bad way. It's a cool, dim forest with leaves underfoot turning to mulch....and sweet wood smoke in the air, from a distance. Sort of like what I really wanted from Black Forest, actually, without the dreaded juniper. The cedar and smoke are reminding me of Aureus.

Hey...now I'm getting coconut too! I wonder if the copal is adding a sweet coconut feel to this. I really like this, it's kind of hard to pin down as far as describing it. I can definitely say it's turning sweeter as it dries.

edit: I'm kind of dissatisfied with this review. I will think about it some more and maybe revise it...it's a nice scent and really reminds me of Aureus.

Edited by Forspecial Plate