Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Greed

Base and earthy, yet glittering with golden notes: patchouli, heliotrope, copal and oakmoss.

Bottle (Imp): Maybe patchouli.

Just On: Yes, I do believe it's patchouli.

An hour or two later: This is very well blended and it's hard to pick out what is mixed in there with patchouli.

Around 6 hours: I love the way this dries down on me. It's fading, but still there.

12 hours: I still have it, and it's turned to a bit of powder, which I LOVE.

Overall: I wasn't sure I was smelling patchouli, but I am pretty sure now that's what it was. I really like this one.

After reading other reviews: I'd have to say that golden fits this.

Greed smells of power, the kind that is rooted in material things. The patchouli, oakmoss and copal weave together to provide a solid, formidable foundation, while the heliotrope is present as a light whisper of a top note, dancing upon the earthier notes and providing a touch of something bright and golden.

This would be an awesome scent for a guy, but alas, it's too masculine on me.

Wow, Greed really does smell like actual dollar bills, a wad of bills that have been through too many hands.

I love patchouli so Greed is utterly wearable in my book, although I probably wouldn't need a bottle as I feel a bit like filthy lucre wearing it! I've had this imp for a while and wear it when I need to feel "money," like the cats from Swingers. I have the urge to surreptitiously dab Greed on my boyfriend and then tell him that he's so money, he doesn't even know it. :P

in the bottle: wow, that's a really green patchouli!

wet on skin: the patchouli and copal seem to be the dominant notes of this. They meld together very well, adding each other's warmth to the blend.

dry: The heliotrope pokes its head out for a bit, after a while, giving the entire blend a sweetness.

i’m getting a thick, dark patchouli scent from this. i think everytime i try a patchouli scent from the lab, i love it more and more. it just sits really nicely on my skin. there’s also the earthy, dank scent of the oakmoss, and a hint of resinous copal and sweet heliotrope. this is totally a rich guy’s cologne. it does remind me of the way money smells. i’ll keep this imp.

Original review - Aug 9/05

I feel very conflicted about this one. It's one of those scents where there are elements to it that I really love, but there's also this one wrong note that throws the whole thing off for me. It's a got a wonderfully rich, earthy base to it, and the copal (one of my favourite scents -- copal is my favourite resin for incense, by far) gives it a warm, aromatic, resinous overtone...

But then there's the heliotrope. I know it's magically appropriate for this blend, since it's a solar oil that's used in a lot of success and money-drawing oils and what not, but to me it's a high, dry, tickly, makes-the-back-of-the-nose-itch sort of scent - like the chypre note that's used in a lot of commercial pefumes - and even though it's nicely blended in with the rest, it kind of kills it for me. I kept sniffing and sniffing at it, wanting to like it, but the heliotrope just wouldn't go away.

It would probably make a lovely scent for someone who didn't hate heliotrope. It's beautifully blended, and smells closer to a conventional perfume than many of BPAL's scents, but not in a bad way. I just can't handle the heliotrope.

Grade: C

New review - Jan 16/07

I wrote the above review long, long ago, after getting it as a frimp in one of my first-ever swap packages. And at the time, as you can see, I didn't like it too much, and blamed the heliotrope.

Since then, I've tried over 300 more scents, and have a much sharper nose, I think. And I've tried a number of scents with heliotrope in them that were not bad on me at all. So, when a new frimp of this showed up in my most recent Lab order, I figured I'd give it another try.

And whoa! I like it so much better this time around! It's earthy, incensey, slightly spicy goodness. I don't know if my tastes have changed, or if it's just that the original imp I got of it (an old, tarted one) hadn't aged well, but this is a whole other story. Gorgeous.

I'm not sure it's quite about to become a top favourite, but it's right up there... This imp is definitely a keeper, and I think it would also be perversely appropriate to wear during business negotiations with clients. :P

New grade: B+/A=. Hell, maybe even a full-on A.

Edited by Miss Lynx

This one is really brown and earthy. Instead of being patchouli based, like I expected, the oakmoss is the top note on me, which is not a great note on me. It comes out smelling dank and dark. The patchouli is there, but it's not strong enough to counter the strength of the oakmoss. Not for me, but I'll find my imp a good home.

In the Bottle: Smells earthy and brown.

On Skin: There is patchouli in this. There is something that reminds me to root beer. There is a musky undertone of hands sweating. It really does make me think of money. Coveted money.

On Drydown: Root beer and dirty money.

Verdict: Interesting. Its a very evocative scent. Definitely not me though.

At first sniff, I find Greed fairly dry and sharp, like how grass feels when it's had too much sun and in a weird way reminds me of the smell of the piggy bank I had when I was little.

After a while it develops into a more incensey smell, but alas I think this one is not for me.

In the bottle: Patchouli & oakmoss, with a hint of something lighter.

First on: Mostly oakmoss now, with a more earthen base. I love me the oakmoss!

Drydown: It's flipped around, to where it's now mostly patchouli & then the oakmoss. I would have liked it better the other way, but I'll keep it & give it a try on it's own one day.

Mmmm patchouli and oakmoss...gorgeous! This is a very woodsy, resiny blend, I'm already in love :P

This one dries down to a very rich, fresh cut wood scent on me...and it lasts too! Most woodsy scents, as much as I love them, don't last one me. The patchouli caarries it nicly though. An instant favorite!

:P

love it..

like a wad of bills dabbled in patchouli oil and sitting in a forest ..

a dichotomy, a mystery..

smell of a baby pine tree growing out of dirt--a money tree!!

smell of cinnamony wet bark.. as well..lurking there

very soothing..

like a big cup of mate while hiking the andes.

Wow, I was skeptical at first, but Greed really does smell like a big wad of money!

Dollar bills that have been left in a new-age/hippie shop :P

The patchouli is very sweet in this blend, with a hint of pine bark. Interesting combination!

In the Bottle: I’m not sure what copal smells like but there is something strange in this one. I’m not sure if I like it or not. I can smell the patchouli almost like an after thought. The heliotrope unfortunately is hidden behind the strong (what I can only assume is) copal and the oakmoss seems to be burying it also. I’m almost sure that this won’t smell nice on me. It’s a hearty earth smell and I don’t smell good in those.

Wet: Patchouli. Lots of it. I can no longer smell the heliotrope. Just faint hints of the oakmoss. And I know it doesn’t list it but it smells like there’s a bit of cedarwood in here. Bleh…..I knew I wasn’t going to like this.

Drydown: All patchouli. Bleh. Swap.

I hate hate hate patchouli. Abhor it. And yet I like this. I don't like earthy scents. And yet I like this.

I want to make some sort of wood sprite costume to wear with this scent.

Amazing.

Greed... the dark, masculine patchouli note is the most prominent upon the first swipe of this freebie imp from the Labsies. It's earthy, and a bit dank. The oil seems to be plotting something.

Greed begins to bring forth the woodsier notes in the fragrance. It smells a little now like a forest, still very masculine. It's a dark green oil.

Wear-wise, I'm not sure I like Greed so much, although I think that the oil is an apt representation of this particular sin. I just don't think I'd wear it often. I don't think I'm terribly greedy, to be honest, unless we're referring to BPAL hordes. This imp, though, shall find its way into someone else's oil horde, or I might wind up keeping it to try and use as a room fragrance. It smells nice, but I don't think I would wear it often.

Then again, I could change my mind.

-doreen

Patchouli with...stuff. Different from Urd, but I can't quite put my finger on it...ah, that muscadine note that can sometimes go really wrong on my is missing.

Not sure whether I'm going to get a bottle or not...

Oro

MMmmmmmm... oakmoss. One of my favorite notes, and here it is in all its earthy glory. It blends so beautifully with the patchouli. I don't get much of the heliotrope or copal, and I'm kind of glad of that because heliotrope usually turns into soap on my skin.

This is a very sensual, earthy smell. Rich and deep and heady.

Oakmoss and patchouli straight away, which makes me a fan already.

Woody, but with a zest.

It strikes me as a close relative of Lear, though Greed is lighter and softer in general, with that sharper top note.

Very wearable.

I Score It: 7/10

In the vial: Sharp and a little dirty (filthy lucre?)

On my wrist, wet: Hello patchouli! With the heliotrope hot on its heels, bringing some clean sweetness to the mix. A bit like pencil shavings, but that scent is usually fleeting on me.

After 20 minutes: Wow, this is nice! (Looks up "copal") No wonder it smells like amber! A nicely balanced blend of amber and patchouli, sweet and earthy without being overbearing.

After an hour: Well, this is a nice surprise! Greed is not at all what I expected. It's a very agreeable patchouli equally balanced with a powdery amber note (I'm assuming this is the copal). I get the vaguest of associations with old paper money, but no metallic tang at all. This is easily an everyday, outdoor scent and it's the kind of patchouli blend I wanted Anne Bonny to be. I'll consider a bottle of this after I finish my imp.

If Greed were any more amazing i'd be sick from it. Okay, i just had to get that out of the way.

Wet, it's dirt-sharp patchouli and a whisper of something sweet.

Initial dry-down, it's still strong patchouli. Dark.

The patchouli stays strong for a while and i was afraid i'd be getting too many "oh my gawd are you wearing patchouli, are you some kind of hippy?" (which i couldn't be farther from) comments. But give it an hour or so and it's golden, warm, and softly sweet. The patchouli balances perfectly with the copal and the sweet and vaguely spicey of the heliotrope. When the dirt recedes and the copal comes out, it's perfection. I had no idea how much i'd like this. And it sticks around forever on my skin and has nice throw.

This is how i felt wearing this all last night:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy kazowza, this was very strong on the oakmoss the first few hours. It smelled like the moss-covered brown roots, with a hint of dirt. It made me think I was smelling some vetiver, too. However, after several hours (at least five), the patchouli's come out and a bit of copal and heliotrope--something that's making it slightly sweet. It's really interesting how it turned out, but Greed just isn't my sort of scent.

In the imp: woodpulp.

On my skin, initial: woah! This is now really strong 'light' wood (like pine), with a little spice.

Drydown: the wood note gets even stronger.

Not for me, I'm afraid.

There are many sins I have a personal affinity towards: Gluttony, mostly. I would have put Greed in there, not because of the desire for money, but to parphrase Bernadette Peters in The Jerk, "Because of all the stuff."

So Greed started off with dark incense, and a touch of something sweet. The sweet lure of capital and the dark underside of wealth acquistion, blended together. And then it happened: What's that burning, campfire smell? Definitely something smoky and not at all pleasant going on. So I guess, in the final analysis, Greed and I do not mix. Phew. One less sin to worry about. :P