Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Greed

Base and earthy, yet glittering with golden notes: patchouli, heliotrope, copal and oakmoss.

In the imp: Dusty incense and amber. This is a glowing yellow scent.

Wet on skin: Patchouli and incense.

Dried down: Still very patch-heavy, but there's something soft trying to blossom underneath. I think the copal? Gratned, I'm not too familiar with heliotrope, but I think copal usually reminds me of skin, and what's trying to peek out does, too. Like lightly talcum powdered skin.

Throw: The throw is mostly patchouli on me right now.

Verdict: *** Eh, I certainly don't mind it, but I don't really need something this patchouli heavy. It's almost one-note on me.

This imp is aged (and gifted, so I am not sure of its exact age).
In the bottle: My god this is amazing. It is like smelling the sun in a mossy field.
On my skin: Old patchouli decides to come to the fore, but the copal/moss mix is still standing its ground. This patchouli hasn't aged too well because I am getting hints of rotten wood in it, but it works out for now. The amazing golden/yellow scent that I think is the copal is breathtaking in this. The bad side of the aged patchouli also seems to subside after a couple of minutes so only 5 minutes in or less it is an amazing glorious scent of copal, hints of moss entwined with it and I can barely make out the patchouli. After a further few minutes I can feel a mature wood note that comes from the patchouli but this time blends in well instead of being jarring.
Drydown: Copal and moss, the best of both. This scent is gold as a colour, make no mistake, and greed as a name suits it well. ;)

Fresh from the lab.

This is a beautiful dusty scent on me, like earth when rain first strikes it. It gradually sweetens on my skin as the vanilla component of the amber comes forward. This doesn't make me think of greed, unless it's the scent of the dust that everything we are greedy for becomes -- but it does make me greedy for more than an imp.

{rf}

• ITI: I’m not sure whether or not I should be bothered that my first impression is that I find the scent comforting. I really like that the patchouli is a subtle, earthy version, the oakmoss isn’t too green, the heliotrope isn’t too brashly floral, and the copal just offers a lovely, balanced, slightly resinous blend reminiscent of “Our Hearts Condemn Us” from the Only Lovers Left Alive release.

Wet: It’s a touch sweeter and almost woody on my skin, but the wood is like a combination of balsam, aged cedar, and a more toned-down version of teak. The copal note in this scent is a real winner, as I believe it is what is reading as woody above the patchouli, oakmoss, and heliotrope (which now has a honeyed tone to it). Gorgeous scent so far!

Dry: It mellows down a bit once dry, but it’s still a lovely blend – golden, harmonious, woody, resinous, earthy, and inviting. I want a bottle of it!

Dry: Earthy, pale resins of a greenish persuasion.

Drydown: Slightly sweet, earthy, and dusty. Pale and papery. The reviews that say it smells like dollar bills are indeed correct. There’s a brightness coming from the oakmoss, but it’s nearly drowned out by the earthiness of the patchouli. As it dries, a creamy sweetness begins to balance out the patchouli’s darkness.

Dry: Creamy, golden copal confidently assumes the lead. The patchouli is dialed down, like a touch of soft earth just beneath your feet. The heliotrope is barely noticeable, but it does seem to lend a hint of prettiness that wasn’t there before. Soft, creamy, and lightly earthy. It stays very close to the skin.

8 out of 10 bones

In the vial: Super patchouli, copal, and oakmoss. To the 10th power.

On the skin: I couldn't put it on. My sinuses immediately reacted and it's so very strong, even in the imp's ear, I didn't want to chance a headache.

In the imp: Primarily earthy. A little sweet-cloying, but a remarkably uncomplicated scent.

Wet: Still primarily earthy, but now it's a little smoother, I almost want to say nuttier. Much less sweet-cloying, but with a more smoky-leafy edge. A great fall scent! However, this state doesn't last, and it quickly settles down into an incense-heavy patchouli, with that cloying sweetness starting to peek out again.

Dry: Sweet patch. More resinous-sweet than floral-sweet, so I'm more willing to chalk this up to the copal than the heliotrope. Overall, I don't think heliotrope is a good note on me. I know it's supposed to be a little cloying here, to invoke the proper sinful atmosphere, but it does the same thing in Tamora.

Fresh on it's patchouli and heliotrope all the way. Love it. As it dries, im getting something strong and tart. Very strong and tart! It's more earthy too, which i point at oakmoss for. I'm unfamiliar with copal? So I'm just gonna blame it for the tartness. Not a love, but still a like.

It smells like.. Getting more and more and being happy briefly, until that high wears off and yiu gotta have more and more to get it back. That's what it reminds me off. The sweetness underneath, cause it's lovely stuff! But the tartness of happiness fading and gimme more gimme more.

Not sure how often I'll wear it, but it's like the lab captured a personal fault of mine in a bottl- well, imp. I may just wear it to remind myself to chill the spending and find healthier, more financially sound ways to deal with being bummed out! Hahaha.

Greed Imp

Wet/Bottle - Earthy, but mostly Heliotrope and Copal. A little too sharp for my taste, but I'll give it a shot.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - Ah, Oakmoss, my old friend. The perfect note to dull the raging monster that is Heliotrope. Now, if only we can tame this Copal, we'd be getting somewhere!

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - Oakmoss and Patchouli, just what I like in a blend. Finally the heliotrope and copal are controllable, but I don't think the 30 minute wait time is worth it.

The final drydown is nice, but the copal and heliotrope don't really add anything to it for me. I'd be better off just getting a bottle where Oakmoss and Patchouli are meant to be the stars. It's nothing special, so I doubt I'll be using it much.

I have started forcing my boyfriend to wear this because I love it, but already have a million other things I want to wear (thanks BPAL, I’m addicted to you).

In the vial: Woody, musky, mossy, leather, spice and a hint of a dark sweetness (almost like a chocolate smell).

On *my* skin: The sweetness really comes out. Smells like chocolate woods.

On *his* skin: Leathery. Extremely mossy and spicy. Just like a cigar shop or humidor that has been used for years.

Ooh this is so pretty! And sort of dusty, I think that must be the oakmoss. I can definitely pick out the copal, copal always smells a little metallic to me. Very unisex, I could wear it but it totally smells like a gorgeous men's fragrance.

This one is a winner!

Opening: dirt and moss. Mmm. The moss comes out gradually, making it smell like a herbal tea or poultice - not for everyone, perhaps, but my grandmother was into traditional medicine and so to me strong-smelling herbs=good. I hadn't realized it wasn't a very popular opinion until I saw the faces my friends made when we sampled a body cream that was a bit heavy on chamomile. (And I was like "if you think that's stinky...") Copal amps up the effect later on.

Sadly, the patch in the drydown starts to go a bit wonky. Not the rancid note it tends to go on me sometimes, but still a bit questionable. I'd say it would need several more tests, but it also doesn't last long on me, so the imp is going on the back-burner.

Yay! This is yummy. I want more! How appropriate.

Patchouli! I LOVE patchouli, b/if you don't, you might want to steer clear of this one. I get some of the copal at first, which always reminds me of metal w/it's strange, spicy twang. Then HELIOTROPE. Lot's of it - just as strong as the patchouli. Heliotrope always smells like a sweet, powdery vanilla to me and it kind of drags Greed into baby powder territory on me at first, but then everything balances out and I get lovely wafts of earthy patchouli and sweet vanilla-ey heliotrope. Very relaxing and cuddly - sexy to me.

I'm not sure if I need a bottle of this as I have a LOT of patchouli scents that I want/have bottles of already, b/ I definitely wouldn't turn one down. The heliotrope does make it different from blends I already have. I shall have to consider. :think:

Definitely worth a sniff for patch fans!

In the imp: dirt, moss, leaves

Wet: piles of mildewy leaves and a freshly made wooden chest, or fresh wood shavings.

Dry: the leaves and woodiness are still there, but there's a really nice warm smell that I can't identify. If I concentrate, I can pick up the patchouli and a bit of almond from the heliotrope but they aren't at the forefront on my skin

I love this scent; it's not a sexy or pretty scent, more comforting. I can see applying this before bed to relax.

Sidenote: I've been trying my imps one on each wrist and so far, the separate smells haven't really collided. But this and Eat Me I guess each have enough of a throw that they're combining in the middle and I have to say: it's a really nice combo. The woodsy warmth of Greed complements the berry candy and cake smell of Eat Me amazingly well. I feel like I'm in woodcutter's cottage while someone is baking. It's really lovely and I will definitely be buying a full size of each just to wear together.

Got this as a frimp in my last order. Not a huge patchouli fan but BPAL has changed my mind before. Starts as a very dirty patchouli. The dry down on me smells like the after shave "Lectric Shave" that my grandfather used to use. Not for me but it's a reminder of wonderful childhood memories.

A very sexy refined patchouli. It's soft and sensual, enticing and seemingly innocent. Perfect for a sin. There's a light woodsy element, lifted by the heliotrope. I'm loving the refined element the oakmoss is adding.

Greed is not for me. Did anyone else have a skin reaction to this? No welts or red spots, but the area where I applied it definitely felt itchy and warmer than the rest of my skin -- still does, though I scrubbed it off an hour ago. It must be to something unlisted because I have tried all these notes in the past with no trouble. Fortunately I wasn't loving the patch-oakmoss combination anyway, but I would have liked to see how it developed.

Continuing on my journey to try every GC at least once!

Wet: Lots of lots of really GOOD sweet, sticky, rich, earthy patchouli. On first sniff, this has got to be one of my fave patchouli scents I have ever smelled, right up there with Banshee Beat and Depraved. I struggle with patchouli going dry and dusty on my skin, but this is rich, sweet and sticky. We shall see if it stays that way!

Dry: Nope, dry, dusty patchouli. Not as bad as most seem to turn on me, but still not really something I want to wear.

In the imp: Somewhat dusty and earthy. I'm getting the copal and oakmoss the most, followed by the patchouli.

Wet: The patchouli note is the first to leap out on my skin, with the copal and oakmoss behind it. Then, I think what must be the floral heliotrope peeks out (but I'm not good at picking out that note). The patchouli and copal end up being the dominant notes, but the oakmoss isn't far behind them.

Dry: The patchouli is still the star of this scent, and the oakmoss and copal continue to linger close behind. This is a golden, resinous, earthy scent.

Verdict: I like this one more than I thought I would, based on the notes. I'm not sure if I would end up reaching for this one, as I generally like scents with an element of sweetness to them, but this is nice.

In bottle: Just straight patchouli. Maybe a slight smokiness from the copal, but it's pretty much 100% patchouli.

Wet: Smoke. Like leaning over a fire and breathing deep. It’s nice, though; it reminds me of campfires and summer evenings.

Dry: A gorgeous smoky, woody, skin-and-almond scent, with a very slight earthy note rounding it out that I suspect is the moss. It’s an autumn night in the deep woods, dark and wild and fiery. I don’t get “golden” or “greed” vibes from this at all, but it’s a great scent nonetheless. 

I definitely get the patchouli, & copal first. Afterwards I get heliotrope, & Oakmoss. Smells like cologne. I think I would buy a bottle. It's different from my usual tastes

Wet on my skin I get some sort of musk hiding behind a wee bit of incense and something earthy, like worn leather. As it dries down, that worn, earthiness unfortunately turns to new car smell, which makes me nauseous. Since leather itself is not listed in the lab's notes list, I'm wondering if it's the oak moss, another scent that turns up on blends that do not work for me. I can't find the heliotrope, but then again, I don't know what I'm looking for. My imp is of unknown age and I'm not sure how that affects the blend. I see how other people can define it as "dusty," as in dusty leather-bound books that might have moss growing on them. Leans masculine and dry. This kind of smells like a dirty, sleazy, old white man who is trying to sell me something. No thank you.

Edited by skyturtles