Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Greed

Base and earthy, yet glittering with golden notes: patchouli, heliotrope, copal and oakmoss.

EWW I swear I smell CIVET in this! Pee and baby powder.

This is an aged imp, probably 2+ years old.

Hmmm, without reading the notes first, my first impression was "cigarette smoke." Not loud cigarette smoke, just some of it wafting over a bed of something else. I think this is the patchouli, which is just going all kinds of wrong on my skin, for some reason. I also get something kind of earthy, but I wouldn't describe it as fresh or herbal. It's kind of musty. I'm thinking this is not for me.

Edited by tailoredshirt

Wet: Resinous and deep, but with a golden sparkle. Heliotrope is sometimes iffy on me, but it behaves nicely here, a sweet, almost vanillic touch that perks things up. The base is a well balanced mix of resinous copal and deep, aged patchouli, with a nip of oakmoss for a bit of clarity.

Dry: Doesn't morph much. This is one of the strongest copal notes I've ever smelled, but there's also a fair bit of patchouli with it. The oakmoss gets a little more prominent, adding a bit of green and a sharper edge that what would otherwise be a sweetly powdery resinous scent. Maybe it's the oakmoss, but this scent strikes me as really masculine.

Overall: Another resiny BPAL. Doesn't stand out to me as a personal fragrance. Greed is definitely worth a shot if you're a big fan of copal, though.

Well hello there, copal. Scents like this perfectly epitomize the reason why I can't decide whether I categorically like or dislike resins. It's not HORRIBLE, and I keep sniffing at my wrist to get another whiff, but it's also not really GOOD, either. I think the patchouli goes a bit "wet dog," which is less than awesome. I don't think I'd really mind smelling like this if I was going to be, I don't know, camping or something, but in general I think I'll pass. There definitely aren't any "glittering" or "golden" notes on my skin, just dark resin and patchouli.

Patchouli-y and earthy, but not in a way that I enjoy, and I love both of those usually. Reminds me of going to the petting zoo, of 10 kinds of shit mixed with hay. Comforting, but just off enough that I could never wear it out.

On me, Greed smells like I've been rolling around in a big pile of money. I get that metallic tang of coins and dusty/dirty scent of bills. Patchouli and I don't play nice, so maybe there's something funky going on with my skin chemistry. I kind of get that "earthy" background, but all I can think of when it's on me is money!

I find the scent fairly overpowering. It's not something I like at all.

I couldn't figure out how this scent related to Greed until I read the reviews. I smell the patchouli, which always makes me think "hippie" (in a GOOD way, I love the smell and I'm a hippie chick myself). It DOES smell a little bit like actual dollar bills. I never would have made that connection otherwise.

I wasn't sure when I sniffed the imp if this would work for me, but because all the notes are usually surefire winners on my skin, I tried it out. I'm so glad I did. It's a dark, resin-y blend with an edge of golden sweetness, just like it was described. Something about it is very comforting to me. I love it.

Edited by talula_fairie

Wet: I blurted out "men." when I smelled it. Wet patchouli and new money smell. The copal is notable as well.

Drydown: Reminds me of working as a courier in DT Boston. The financial district smells like this..dry new money, men's cologne, old wood, wrought iron stairwells & elevator shafts, the dampness of the old Boston sewers and sub-basements emanating through the cracks in the old marble floors and dank lobby carpets.. and me wreaking of oakmoss (my favorite singular note) whipping through the buildings. Wow.

I didn't read the notes on Greed before trying it out but I could tell instantly that it had some patchouli in it. I hate patchouli; it smells like dirt to me and usually makes me feel rather nauseous. However, I was pleasantly surprised as it dried down to a lovely musky, cologne-y smell.

This one's definitely a unisex scent.

I like it but I'm not sure if it's 5ml-worthy yet. I'm going to keep the imp for now and see how it grows on me.

Now, patchouli and I normally don't get along, but in the imp, it's not too offensive. Although I can detect it right away, there is also a trace of oakmoss. Either way, it's very earthy. Wet, the patchouli is a bit stronger. It becomes drier and without a doubt dominates everything else in this blend. Although I've never smelled copal on its own, I don't get anything resiny or incensey from this blend. If you like patchouli, try this out, patchouli haters, yeah, not for us.

Interesting, this is masculine without being at all cologne-like. There is a dry dustyness that reminds me of cedar. I'm afraid this is causing a nasal allergy.

I received this imp in a swap about a year ago, and just now got around to trying it.

This is a golden brown oil, whose smell first makes me think, "Old, generic perfume." I find florals and resins tend to morph into this over time, and this could be an older imp - I don't know its provenance.

On me, the base notes rapidly come to the fore. I guessed musk or sandalwood at first, but no, this seems to be patchouli, by the description. To compare, I dabbed a little Anne Bonny on my hand, and it matches up with the patchouli in that. There's a dryness here that makes me think amber, which is probably the copal, another resin. Not getting any florals. I think St. Germain when I think oakmoss, and I'm not getting that either.

Verdict. Bleh. Not good, but that could just be because it's an old imp. 1 or 2 out of 5.

Greed kinda smells like money to me (coins and paper money mixed together, specifically), which makes sense. When I pick apart the notes, I mostly get patchouli and oakmoss. I wouldn't wear this very often, as it seems a bit too masculine for my tastes. But I think it would smell good on my perfume-loving man of choice. I might get a bottle and see how it ages.

:::GREED:::

Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs' Sin & Salvation formulas are among the most vicious, relentless, and cerebrally potent that have been encountered by this reviewer to date! Given the notes included in Greed, it is difficult to believe that it has been passed over with such dismaying frequency!

Copal is likely pretty close to being the favorite single note produced by The Lab. Copal is an otherworldy invocation of sorts; a resin which has been transfigured into a golden, almost musical entity that captivates, that crushes inhibitions.

Oakmoss is also high on the list. Wherever Oakmoss is found, it has a near Deified ability of enabling fragrances to take on personality and sentinence.

Heliotrope is the biggest enigma. While other blends have been purchased and reviewed that contain the flower, it has been notoriously difficult to isolate and identify with any great reliability. The specific virtues of Heliotrope have been infuriatingly elusive.

Hopes are that Greed will prove most instructive in this respect!

From the Bottle: Greed is such and incredible blend!

The Patchouli plays the starring role at this phase, yet the Oakmoss and the Copal intertwine to produce a wonderful gold and green (the colours of money!) thread that seamlessly weaves its way throughout the fragrance.

There is also a dry, orangey-white floral in Greed that is, presumably, the Heliotrope. While the note is unmistakeably floral, it does not render Greed effeminate in any way: to the contrary, it is similar to Lilac or, perhaps, Chamomile in the respect that its essence evokes notions of a fragrance that one could expect to find in a high-end barber shop.

Greed is spectacularly earthy with emphasis on metallic elements.

This is what a billionare would be imagined to smell like having just come in from an episode of therapeutic "gardening" in a greenhouse filled with a virtually endless array of exotic vegetation thathas been potted in bronze urns. If money grew an trees ...

The Patchouli is incredible. It is The Labs gorgeous variety. This is not at all the eye-watering, "stinky hippie" Patchouli that is mass-produced and commonly generates an aversion to it.

This Patchouli is practically the living plant; exuding not only the wooden top notes, but a freshet of shining, succulent, and luxuriantly green leaves.

On the Skin: Greed smells like MONEY.

Greed is wads of recently minted currency and roll after roll of gold coins. Very cleverly rendered!

The note presumed to be the Heliotrope seems to have vanished at this phase.

The Patchouli and the Oakmoss are now inextricably woven together, giving Greed the green, papery feel.

Meanwhile, the Copal stands alone and undercuts the formula with the finesse and subtlety of a golden hammer.

Greed smells like unmitigated affluence; posh car, expensively tailored suit, power-tie, shined shoes, gold wristwatch, and well-bred coiffure replete with Copal-based, top of the line cologne guaranteed to command the respect of all present.

You have to smell Greed to understand it.

This is Greed expertly, flawlessly personified.

Greed is the marriage of "old money" and "new money".

From experience, this is rather difficult to imagine as a fragrance for Her... Unless it transferred to Her via inflagrante dilectico atop the maple desktop in the office... or, mayhaps, during a "seafaring excursion" sort of champagne brunch aboard a yacht.

On Him, Greed is everything the word proports itsself to be.

Greed is the stuff of Wolves on Wall Street, swindlers, Robber Barons, corporate magnates, legacy, sybarites, and all forms of glitterati and their luminaries.

Greed is something that has to be experienced to be believed.

Once again, Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs have done truly amazing work.

There can be no higher recommendation.

Top marks!

Greed is way off the charts, earning a 5.25 out of 5.

Greed is a "must have" for the avid/rabid collector.

Place your order.

p.s.

The Wife: it smells like Juicy-Juice... Like snack-time in a pre-school.

sheesh.

This is deep and earthy.

Initially all I get from this is oakmoss and patchouli, but it doesn't take too long for heliotrope to make an entrance. I like this, but it is a bit sharp. Once it dries, the copal appears and the scent becomes a lot softer. This is quite nice now. Also, at this point I could swear I smell tonka in this; I guess my nose is a little confused. However, in the end this one goes sharp again and kind of dirty. Not really my thing.

In the Imp: Patchouli. I find that rather amusing, I mean, patchouli for greed? Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a fan, but I generally think of nature and such when it comes to patchouli,. Definitely not dollar bills, high class society, or fancy polished rings.

Wet: Patchouli. But that's okay, patchouli usually overwhelms everything during wet stages, so I'll just be waiting this out and hoping it becomes a bit more complex later on.

Dry: Took a while to reveal itself in full, but it's worth the wait. The patchouli is there but it becomes a new scent entirely when the rich copal and vanilla-esque heliotrope pop in. It's a little less woodsy and more creamy. Yet, it's actually the foresty notes that are keeping this edgy, and yes, reminiscent of metallic coins or some sort of money. It's like you're melting into a bed of silk sheets with a hot dude but there's all this money lying around and you're all, "We don't know where that's been babe, can't we put it away?" Yeah, something like that. This is odd for me to say because I'm extremely picky about the levels of sweetness in blends (don't like a lot of it), but I want more of the softness in this and a bit less of the patchouli and moss.

Overall: Greed almost had me, but in the end it didn't feel balanced between the sweetness and sharp/dry moss.

*edit* Retesting this years later. Seems my skin chemistry has changed as it's now the floral amping with patch playing second fiddle. A light but dirtied-up woods with heliotope. And it's a floral I can wear! It has an intriguingly airy quality about it, despite the description saying it's earthy. Reminds me of a village maiden or something; laid-back and friendly but kind of ethereal. I have so many patch blends already, but I'm contemplating if I should get more. Ironically I find this a very peaceful, soothing scent.

Edited by Balame

This very aged imp smells on my skin like moss & patchouli. The copal, like an old penny, has lost it's shine. I can't place the heliotrope (if it hasn't aged away). Light moss and patch and a pile of dirty crumpled dollar bills. Haha - dirty money!

I... Have no idea about this one.

It smells green, dark green, like money. Extremely earthy, with subtle enough moss noted that I don't hate it. The patchouli comes off warm, and there is something Smokey wafting in the background.

There's also something just slightly sweet providing a base for everything.

I should dislike this based on the notes, but they all blend together into something that I could see myself wearing a lot!

Go Beth!

Base and earthy, yet glittering with golden notes: patchouli, heliotrope, copal and oakmoss.

In the imp: Woody and earthy

Wet on skin: The wood calms down and I'm getting an earthy, greens scent - like vetiver (which isn't in the scent description)

Dry on skin: Well, the freshness dissipates and I fell like I'm wearing SANDALWOOD. not just sandalwood with copal, but SANDALWOOD!!!!

I found this scent most enjoyable in it's wet stage till it's dry down, but after it's been dry for a little while, I think this becomes just a one note wonder.

The wet stage of this blend is wonderful. Loved how this scent seemed to allude to vetiver (maybe it's an unlisted note?), but with a resinous, woody undercurrent. I kept having to sniff my arm, I was addicted.

Alas, after the dry down, this scent morphs to sandalwood (weird, right?) but without any of the depth of it's prior stages :(

This arrived as a frimp with an Etsy purchase of Trading Post atmosphere sprays. After the Lab's description (base and earthy yet golden and glittering) I wondered if it'd be too heavy or trampy on me.

I got a delicious surprise. The patchouli and copal make it splendidly incensey at first in and out of the imp (how I had wanted Cleric and Mage to be), then the oakmoss and heliotrope come forth and smooth it into something chypre-ish, slightly on the masculine side of epicene, but still plays well with my female chemistry. I'm a patchouli fan and am enjoying how this is soft around the edges and not brashly 1968 (I like 1968-style single-note patch too, but I love how it plays with other incenses as a grounding note).

In bottle: Strongly patchouli dominant. Heliotrope is a counterpoint. Copal softly supports heliotrope. Oakmoss gives very soft support to patchouli. This is not to my taste, though I can see it working on someone else. I know from experience that this is way too much patchouli on me and my skin chemistry turns heliotrope unpleasantly shrill, so I’m not skin testing.

I find this a bit more similar to Lush's "Tramp" than Dance of Death was, though it's earthier. It's rather resiny, with a hint of sweetness. And now that I've read the "dollar bills" comparisons, I can totally see it. A keeper.

In the bottle - Pencil shavings

Wet on me - A slightly chemical almost bleach like scent with those pencil shavings on the background

Dry on me - Mostly still pencil shavings

Overall - Not for me

First Sniff: Patchouli

Initial Wet Application The patchouli is just like every other blend from the lab with this in it, which means this is going to be plywood on me eventually.

Dry Down (first 15 minutes): As this dried down, this was dry wood with a tiny hint of perfume. It’s surprisingly faint for a wood note for me so far.

My Reaction: This remained the same from first sniff to completed dry down, which is surprising. All I am getting is patchouli, which is the ‘leather’ scent from the lab. I wish I could find an old leather scent not related to an incense, resin, New Age shop smell. This vaguely reminded me of Tombstone, but without the sarsaparilla. It’s dusty and dry and very ‘wood’ on me. It seems that patchouli and oakmoss just don’t work on me.

Rating: 1

In the imp: mainly patchouli, kind of dusty smelling

On my skin: Pretty much the same as in the imp. Still lots of patchouli, but it's more of a "gentler" patch; it's not doing the sweaty/BO thing as it sometimes does. It's more of a softer dried-grass type of smell. This actually reminds me somewhat of Fledgling Raptor Moon, which I ended up selling (it's not that I disliked it, I just never really wore it). It also smells somewhat woody, not "fresh cut lumber" but more of worn, dusty wood.

It smells pretty good overall, but not really something I would go out of my way to wear. Would probably smell good on a guy.