Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Wrath

A scent aflame with rage, swirling in the red haze of hatred: dragon's blood spiked with black pepper, clove, and cinnamon.

I really thought I would like this, but something turns on my skin. Becomes very unpleasant, though all the notes are among my favorites. I'm truly perplexed! A sniff from the bottle gets me DB and cinnamon, but once I apply...almost instantaneously, it goes horribly wrong.

Wrath was in the very first imp pack I got, and I received my 5ml of it from the Lab on Monday. I'm a nut for clove scents (and the spice in cooking, and clove gum....), I dig cinnamon, have a good relationship with pepper, and had no idea what Dragon's blood was.

In the bottle (or vial), Wrath is a smoldery, peppery scent with a vague clove background. Not smoldering as though it's going to catch fire (I really keep thinking that should say "smouldering", but I'm not British, and I think that's the distinction), but in a seething anger kind of way, and so on first whiff, and even now, it's a perfect representation of said Deadly Sin.

On me, it's all of a sudden sweet red lilies like woah, with the pepper thumping up behind it. It lasts all day long, though the throw gets closer and closer to my personal space as the time goes by. Unfortunately, the clove note doesn't really show on my skin at all, unless I put my wrist against my nose and take a really deep sniff, and then I can get the barest whiff at it right at the end, when I run out of breath. But that's all right, I forgive it; Wrath is lovely and certainly one of my favorite scents from my narrow encounters. Also, because my perfume is angry, it somehow seems to help me be more patient throughout the day. Go figure.

Am having a wrathful day, so I thought I would try this one. Damn. It isn't wrathful enough! I just smell cinnamon mainly with some black pepper. Kind of like Red Hots candies. Drat. This seems like it has good staying power though.

I'm just not getting the wrath in this. I like it, but wrath? ...

Imp: Kind of fruity, with some cinnamon I think.

Wet: Fruity and spicy.

Dry: Cinnamon & fruit. Not getting the Red Hots others mention, but there's something oddly sweet in this.

I'm guessing it's the dragon's blood that's the sweet/fruity thing. I know red musk goes fruity punch on me, but it's a different fruity sweet than that.

In the imp: There's cinnamon, but in a sweet, sugary, Red Hots candy sort of way.

Wet: Sweetness predominates. I'm assuming this must be the clove, though I had never expected it to smell like that. It is mainly a floral sort of sweetness, with just a hint of sugar running through it; thankfully, the candy-like scent has gone away. Every now and then I can detect a brief spike of cinnamon or pepper, but the scent is predominantly sweet.

Dry: Finally when it had dried and died down (this would be *hours* later), I could detect a resinous incense scent on my skin -- dragon's blood.

Verdict: Even though it's not behaving the way I'd have thought from the description, I LOVE this scent! :P It is my favorite so far. Every time I would catch a whiff of myself I would feel quite happy...and this would happen quite often, as even with moderate application the scent is very strong and throws very well. Yum! A full bottle of this is a must-have.

In Vial: I’ve never smelled dragon’s blood before, so I guess this is what I’m smelling with a bit of spice.

Wet:Somewhat medicinal and tangy

Drydown: smells like cinnamon candy but not too strong. Not bad.

Later…the cinnamon is gone and I smell only what I am guessing to be dragon’s blood with a hint of clove.

Evoking Color: Definitely red and btw this oil is a cool bright red as well.

In the imp and wet Wrath is richly sweet and fruity/floral, almost like fresh honeysuckle flowers. Even though this is my first encounter with dragon’s blood I can identify it right away from all the comparisons I’ve heard between it and fruit punch; I’m definitely smelling something bright and very juicy. There’s a twang of cinnamon and spice behind the thick syrupiness, and after twenty minutes or so the dragon’s blood relinquishes control of the blend and the spices get their time in the limelight. Now there’s an intense dusting of cinnamon and a crackle of clove and pepper which is very reminiscent of, yes, Red Hots or Big Red gum. Both of which I adore the scent of and was hoping Wrath would have something in common with, so I love this stage! It stays like this for a good hour, at which point I start to get a whiff of the dragon’s blood again behind the spices, but in a different and absolutely delicious way. It’s sweet and rich and a little buttery, and I think it’s just brought about the first occurrence of Must Eat Own Arm Syndrome. Now Wrath as a whole reminds me of cinnamon buns, in particular that layer of spices and butter the dough is smothered in before being rolled up. From this point on the spices dull and the scent fades a bit and then stays fairly consistent for the duration of its wear.

I’m glad to know I like dragon’s blood as much as I thought I would, and that my search for Wrath was not in vain. It’s a gorgeous fiery cinnamon scent with a delightful morphing pattern that I will be wearing often!

Spicy lilac resin. My imp is a couple of years old and very mellow; at first huff, this is all mild Dragon's Blood, but the cinnamon and pepper appear in the "after-huff" (so to speak)--scintillating but not sharp.

Definitely less "wrathful" than when it was fresh!

i adore this one. i can smell the cinnamon undertones, but mostly its the dragon's blood that pops out the most. i can barely smell the clove or black pepper

going to get this in bottle format

In the bottle: it smells sweetish and warm (and it loosk so pretty, being the pale red it is!) I can definitely detect cinnamon, but the Dragon's Blood isn't overpowering.

On me?

Wow. This isn't what I expected at all for a scent called Wrath-- it's positively pretty and ultra-feminine on me. That said, I love it: nothing dominates to the detriment of anything else, and there's a sweet light floralness to it which just makes it so... benign-smelling. It reminds me of French Love-- the same redness of the oil and the same sweetness with the waft of florals running through it.

The major difference here seems to be that it doesn't quite have that warmed honey smell French Love has on me, and it's spicier.

This is yummy!

Wet: Almost nothing when it's applied. Really, I can't smell anything. After 20 minutes, DAMN! That's spicy.

Dry: Cinnamon, black pepper and sweetness. With a lot of throw. And it lingers, even after I try to wash it off because I had a headache from it. To me, this smelled of feminine wrath, anger running hot and indignent.

I should have guessed the Dragon's Blood wasn't going to go over well with me.

At first application,overwhelming floral scent later it mellowed somewhat but the Dragon's Blood overpowers and just comes off very feminine. I detect only very very trace elements of cinnamon or clove.Not at all what I expected from a scent called Wrath.

You have no idea how upset I am with this one. I LOVE spicy scents, ya hear me?! LOVE!!! I'm not sure what I smell in the imp, but I do detect some cinnamon and possibly some pepper. It has hope, so I apply ever so lightly. As soon as it touches my skin it turns to a weird cinnamon buttcrack funk. Why in heaven is this not working on me????!!!!! I just purchased it from another forumite (Thank you, I really wanted to try this one for a long time.) so I don't know if I'm just having an off day. I'll put it away and try again later.

Wrath is all sweet dragon's blood and cinnamon on me. Maybe a hint of the clove in the background. I'm terrified to dab any more on because of the cinnamon and pepper, but if you're not sensitive to those it does smell great.

This was a frimp with my first order to arrive.

In the imp, a sweet floral that must be the dragon's blood.

Wet on me, the sweet floral that must be the dragon's blood. I get no pepper, no cloves, and no cinnamon.

Dry on me, the sweet floral that must be the dragon's blood, and maybe a whiff of ...musk or incense? Well it's gone now. All I smell is dragon's blood.

Several hours later, a faint sweet floral that must be the dragon's blood, and I really, really hope that not all dragon blood mixes end up being single notes on me. I was looking forward to the pepper, cloves, and cinnamon. I even told my hubby that a couple of the frimps had cinnamon in them, because he likes cinnamon so much. *sigh* This one is not working.

I am a giant fan of Dragon’s Blood and was really looking forward to trying this.

In the imp: Dragon’s Blood and something spicy-hot

On skin, wet: Like someone soaked a Red-Hot cinnamon candy in Dragon’s Blood.

On skin, dry: This is almost like Dragon’s Blood SN. I can’t really detect much of the other notes. Maybe a faint hint of cinnamon, but that’s all. Very confused over where the clove is, because I usually amp clove.

Still, overall 4.5/5, and I might buy a 5ml, because I do love Dragon’s Blood with all my heart and maybe the other notes would come out with aging?

A cinnamon scent, hm. I don't pick up any cranky from this scent, but my cat tried to lick it from my wrist (!) It's pleasant, if innocuous.

CINNAMON.

Oh I love cinnamon. This reminds me of War's little sister - sweeter, but still with that bite. I'm kind of tempted to see what'll happen if I combine the two. It's hot and spicy with an undertone of sweetness, and I adore it.

I'm digging this (red + spices) - sweetness thing that BPAL pulls off (other examples: War, Crowley, Scherezade...).

I received Wrath as a testable sniffie, but the minute amount was more than enough as I discovered later on. Dragon's Blood, on me, translates into unlit powdery incense. Yes, there is also something floral, but the spices keep it in check before it even thinks about becoming sweet. I'm mostly getting the black pepper here, but cinnamon makes an appearance every now and again. Big Red what? I never get a chewing gum/confectionary feel from this - more like cinnamon bark, if anything.

Doesn't change much throughout its wearlength, but the throw does eventually settle down from "RUN AND HIDE, PUNY EARTHLINGS. RAWR." to "Come closer sweetie... you'll enjoy having your ass kicked."

I think I want a bottle.

I was just gifted with an imp of Wrath and I sniffed it before I came here and read the description, so I was highly amused to see descriptors like "peppery" and 'swirling with rage". My impression was (still is) that this is a soft scent, a warm scent, even a comforting scent.

I can pick up the spicy hints of the cinnamon, but it's not foody or baking-spicy at all, more of almost a floral spiciness like carnation. (And I love me some carnation.) And under that is a deep soft warm sweetness which must be the dragon's blood and maybe the clove. (I'm reading other reviews now and YES! LILIES! It definitely reminds me of lilies!)

It would all be *too* sweet and soft for me if it weren't for that wee spiciness.

I would never have tried this one on my own, but I like it a lot.

30 minutes later it's dried down to ... lily. Yup, pure, soft sweet floral. Too bad, I really enjoyed it when it was more multifaceted.

Edited by odalisque

This was surprisingly subdued for a scent called "Wrath." It smelled mostly like watered-down dragon's blood... with a TINY, almost undetectable cinnamon note. This smells much better with a little inferno layered over it.

This smells like hot tamales and smoke. This is one of those that totally lives up to its name, it’s a strong, mean scent (with a little sweetness that is the hot tamale candy scent heh). Normally I try to outlast the perfume, but this one is actually giving me a headache 

Into the swap pile for you!

For me, there's little difference between in vial and on skin: dragon's blood, dragon's blood, dragon's blood, dragon's blood, cinnamon, dragon's blood, dragon's blood, and a faint whiff of...dragon's blood.

Bought an imp of this because I love spicy scents and cinnamon scents...this one however, didn't adore me.

In the vial: Smells like cinnamon candy that has been lit on fire.

Wet: Not much of a change, still smells like singed cinnamon.

Drydown: Strange. I like the clove and cinnamon which I can clearly smell. Can't really sniff out the pepper. I'm not familiar with Dragon's Blood, but whatever it is, it's not really "me." It adds a thickness which is uncomfortable and reminiscent of a Glade plug-in. Though I imagine wrath is supposed to evoke feelings of unpleasantness.

Conclusion: Not my style.