Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Wrath

A scent aflame with rage, swirling in the red haze of hatred: dragon's blood spiked with black pepper, clove, and cinnamon.

The overwhelming impression something floral, almost orchid-y--is that the dragon's blood? What IS dragon's blood?--plus cinnamon. The cinnamon is most evident in the first ten minutes; and it's not a mulled cider apple pie yummy cinnamon, it's a Big Red chewing gum kind of cinnamon, as someone else pointed out. That note dies down quite a bit, though, leaving that floral note. After a while, when I sniff my wrist, I can't really detect the pepper or cloves or cinnamon, but I do get the sharp bite at the back of my throat that tells me they're there.

My big objection to this one is that the floral note acts a little weird on me... going a little sour but never quite becoming soapy. My husband liked this one more than me, but I'm not sure I'm going to make it a favorite scent. I'd give it, overall, a 2 out of 5.

I put this on my wishlist before I knew what Dragon's Blood smelled like. I knew that I liked everything else, so I figured it couldn't be too bad.

Imp: Dark spices...oh...cloves! Mmm...I like cloves.

Wet: Pretty much the same, maybe spicer.

Dry: Dragon's blood powder of doom. *sigh* I'm not sure what about Dragon's Blood and my chemisty don't get along, but for some reason they don't...

Final Thoughts: It sounded really neat, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. It'll find a good home. I'm sure of it.

This comes to me via frimp from the ever generous Labbies..thank you again.

As much as I am very intrigued about this fragrance….I am beginning to realize that perhaps pepper/cinnamon/and dragon’s blood don’t actually get along. You see..I want to love them..but the last couple of times I have had them in fragrances..they just don’t love me back. I am a bit confused with dragons blood…I thought that it usually smelled unbelievably floral..which I actually liked..but somehow..I have been getting the spicy dragon’s blood and unfortunately for me..that doesn’t work well on me. Let’s see how this angry little guy does with me today.

Initial sniff from frimp:Uh-oh…this doesn’t seem too promising..it’s got that spicy cinnamon waft coming up..which I know usually spells disaster on me. As much as I love clove I haven’t been too lucky with it in BPAL except in Blood Kiss. This already makes me think of Blood Moon, Mars, my CT:Strange Attractors..it has that same vibe.

Applied wet on skin: Grrr…it’s cinnamon..and it’s a dry cinnamon with the pepper and spicy dragon’s blood..the holy trinity that does it to me every time..makes me kind of queasy. To be fair..I think the pepper isn’t really the culprit..I think it’s the cinnamon and dragon’s blood…the spicy kind..unfortunately it just doesn’t like me.

Couple of minutes on skin:It’s still roaring on..it’s like Big Red gum on me..and Big Red was never my favorite flavor…darn.

45 minutes later: Big Red has softened…and if I sniff hard enough I can get a bare breath of something floral..but honestly…it’s all just cinnamon gum.

Fans of spicy/cinnamon scents should like this….

Drydown: Red Hots cinnamon…softly wafting..but it’s there.

Lasting power is about 4+ hours on me with throw soft to medium.

Bottom Line: Wrath is a fiery red scent that unfortunately I cannot love..oh well. :P

Wrath is my favorite deadly sin. I love an evil villain with vengeance on his mind.

In the vial:

I could smell all the scents exactly, dragon’s blood, clove, cinnamon, and at the end, black pepper. It’s actually even a little nose-stinging, but not in an unpleasant way. So far, this is my favorite one in the vial.

On my skin:

Dragon’s blood was strongest at first, a scent I am typically not very fond of, but the clove was just fantastic, the exact perfect match for it. The scent-order and strength remained the same as it had been at first. Dragon’s blood, clove, cinnamon, black pepper at the end. As it dried the cinnamon got stronger than the clove. I loved this.

Edited by firelion

This was altogether too heavy for me; the dragon's blood was lovely and sweet, but the pepper and clove really just weighed it down and made it feel all too... old? Weighty? Whatever it was, it was a nice thing to smell, but not a perfume I wanted at all. I have a distinct memory of opening it, and sniffing it, and saying out loud, "Wait, pepper? In perfume? ... What?" :P

ETA: And somehow, on the madre, this becomes perfect sweetly-spiced dragon's blood. The pepper and clove kinda lurk in the background, but they play really, REALLY nice on her.

Edited by modernsaints

A frimp from the Lab. At first I thought this was going to be a definite loser, as cinnamon red-hots have been mentioned in reviews and that's precisely the sort of cinnamon I *hate*.

Imp: Nicer than expected -- quite sweet, actually.

On skin: Not red-hots so much as cinnamon chewing gum.

Drydown: I think the black pepper and clove are actually helping this one. Dragon's blood is a scent I love, and the sweetness of that cuts the toxicity of the cinnamon. All in all it smells mainly like dragon's blood with some spicy cookies.

Better than expected! Guess I'll hang on to this one. :P

Dragon's blood, sweet pepper, and subtle spice are all swirling in the wet phase.

Dry, it's strongly dragon's blood with a rich updraft of spices, spices that persist even after you pull away. It's a lovely blend, rich and deep and yes, a little angry-smelling. It's quite lively and vivid.

A good choice for the lover of spices and dragon's blood, and one I'd unhesitatingly recommend.

I adore the lab's pepper notes: sweet and spicy at the same time, piquant. Delightful.

Dear Wrath,

Well, when I got my first donation of samples from a lovely fairy sample godmother, I made a little list of predictions, based purely on reading the scent descriptions and reviews.

I'll admit, I hadn't worn perfume in a decade or so, but I thought it'd be fun to guess how accurate my hunches would be. Didn't have a clue about my own skin chemistry

And Wrath, well, let me tell you: I put you last on that list of predictions. Sight unseen, smell unsmelled, I doubted you.

And Wrath, let me further tell you: I was right. You DESERVE to be last on my last. You smell like a toybox. A toybox that belongs to the kind of kid who ate too much liquorice and drooled on her toys; the kind of kid who played in dirt and wanted to play tag and scream (and I HATED tag and screaming, and you KNEW that!). You had way too many dolls, who were all scented in some vaguely "floral" (or "baby") sort of scent, and combined with the sweat and dirt and spit and old plastic, this is making yours a very. bad. awful. no-good. toybox.

I was right, and you were wrong. Neener-neener, neener. See how childlike (in all the most unpleasant ways) you make me feel?

Goodbye, Wrath.

I tried this on thinking "it's gonna suck" because dragon's blood and I so do not get along.

I was so surprised when I liked it. :swoon:

Wet: It doesn't smell like dragon's blood--this might not suck.

Drying: Warm, sweet cinnamon--like Red Hots. It's nice. I think I like it.

Dry: This is surprisingly nice, given the dragon's blood. It smells just like Red Hots. It's sexy.

Maybe this worked on my because I was angry and pissed, wrathful even, when I tried it on. Or maybe it just works on me. I'm definitely keeping the imp, I'm just not sure I'd wear a whole bottle.

I love the color of this oil! Vivid wrathful flaming red. On my skin, Wrath smells predominantly floral, with the scent of pepper and cinnamon red hots in the background. Altogether, taken as a whole, the scent does indeed smell powerful and full of rage. Being a softie, this scent isn't my style, though, and I'll move it on to someone who can appreciate it more.

In the imp: This time, it's a light red (OK, dark pink) colour, not the peachy of the last Wrath I tried, when the lab had some issues with it. And it doesn't smell at all sweet or fruity; it's all about the spices. Clove and ginger, black pepper, the musk of dragon's blood behind it all.

On the wrist: Ooh, black pepper! The clove and cinnamon come strongly through after, with a hint of the ginger, balanced and grounded by the musk of dragon's blood. Mmm, spicy :P After about ten minutes, has turned into my favourite cinnamon sweets... There is just the slightest hint of cherry in the throw; I suspect that this is from the dragon's blood.

One hour later: Very strongly clove/cinnamon, slightly musky, just a little sweet and fruity. It's rather nice, but I still prefer Sin.

Mmmmmnn, spicy! The cinnamon is very hot in this one. I'm getting a hyacinth note coming up, too. Funny what different combinations will do. Yummy!

First review ever!

I knew I was going to have a LOOONG day (classes/meetings/sorority recruitment from 11am- 11pm) so I chose one of my newly-ordered BPALs that I thought would bring me energy and keep me from falling asleep in class.

*When I first put it on at 10am, it smelled exactly like Big Red gum. Not bad- it was energizing and interesting.

*Two hours later, in Spanish, it smelled like Big Red gum.

*At 4:00 when I was walking to opera rehearsal in the sweaty, humid Indiana air, I was thinking What smells so good? Yeah, you guessed it, it was ME. The Big Red smell had died down a bit, and it was spicy and slightly sweet/floral. It made me feel very attentive and happy, confident.

*Throughout recruitment (8pm-11), I caught little whiffs of the same spicy-floral scent lingering about me, which was reassuring because I felt like I had been sweating all day between walking all over campus in the heat and now being in a room packed with sorority girls.

*Sitting at my computer now, at almost 12:30, more than FOURTEEN HOURS after I had applied Wrath, it's STILL there, and it smells like yummy fancy soap, the kind that sits in little dishes and is carved into shapes of flowers, with a light touch of the spicy cinnamon scent. It's a nice, soft, relaxing, and CLEAN scent to end my day with.

In short, Wrath worked amazingly well with my body chemistry, adapting to my various needs all day. I got so hot and sticky, yet it made me smell and feel clean and fresh throughout it all. I didn't think I'd like it all that much, but I'm so glad I ordered an imp to try. Next time I order, I'm getting a bottle for SURE.

wrath

in the bottle ha! i called this one (i sniff with no reference to the lab's description). my notes say "cinnamon and dragon's blood". it's nice, warm and incense-y.

wet on skin erm... well... it's not that i don't like it. it's just that it... smells like clean band-aid. or, really, how band-aids used to smell when i was a kid. there's something plasticky here. it's sort of nostalgic and all? but i'm not sure i need to smell like this particular childhood memory.

dry on skin it's mostly dragon's blood, with a little kick from the spices. band-aid's still there.

one hour later it's sedate and vaguely sexy, or would be, if i could just kick the smell of band-aids. it's very faint, but still there.

two hours later pure dragon's blood, but very pretty, sweet. i guess it's a good thing i happen to enjoy dragon's blood! and best of all? no band-aid!

Wrath

I only caught the black pepper, clove, and cinnamon in it's very first stages, and even then they weren't as present as I had hoped they'd be. The strongest note throughout is dragon's blood, which is a warm floral on me. This is a lovely scent, but it doesn't feel angry. It's a somewhat mildly spicy floral that's mostly warm and gentle, like coming into a comforting home on a cold day.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

4 : It's lovely, although I wish the other notes were more present.

I ordered this because I love spicy, cinnamony scents and was hoping for something like Bengal. I had no idea what Dragon's Blood smelled like, so when I first put it on and nearly threw up, thinking "Gah, what is that horrible stomach-churning, sickly sweet flower from hell in there????" it took a while for me to realize that was Dragon's Blood. I don't even get any cinnamon from this, just Dragon's Blood and clove. It reminds me of a dentist's office I used to go to, where they used clove oil to numb your gums and the whole place reeked of clove and antiseptic.

On me, Wrath equals dentist office plus nauseating flowers from hell. Off to swaps.

In the bottle: Erlack. Sour rootbeer left in the sun with cherry cough drops dropped in.

Wet on skin: Oh, eww. Same as in the bottle. Though there is some cinnamon coming out, some really nice cinnamon. Maybe it can be saved . . . ? Very, very warm. If I put my nose a few inches away from my wrist, I can feel warmth radiating onto it.

Dry on skin: No, no, it can't. There's a very sharp, metallic overcoat now that's making me cough when I put my nose too close to my wrist. Still smells oddly rootbeer-y. And there's definitely a vanilla note that's steadily growing.

Conclusion: This is, indeed, very angry. Stewing inside, thinking of a way to get the best payback possible angry. It smells really weird and it makes me cough, but it's strangely beautiful in its own way. I can't articulate why. I can't stand it, but I can't stop sniffing it! It's fascinating. This would be gorgeous on someone else. I might keep this a little while, or I might go ahead and swap it. Haven't decided yet. Let me sniff a few more times . . .

imp: crisp spices.

wet: the dragon's blood is very floral here with lots of sharp spices.

dry: this starts to smell like lilacs with the barest hint of spices. unusual scent.

Imp: ...an odd sourness.

Wet: Errr...I get the same bitterness that I amp from Dragon's Hide. Trouble ahead.

Drydown: The spice and dragon's blood is nice, but I'm getting something really dark and bitter that sours and ruins it, just as Dragon's Hide reacts on me. Strange. It's very strongly cloves and cinnamon, but...is it the pepper, maybe?

This one's sort of "meh," but I'll probably keep it. It IS very evocative of wrathfulness.

ADDED Jan. 23:

Another blend I'm trying in my search for the best dragon's blood scents.

Immediately after putting this on I get the same bitter, nasty scent that I get from Dragon's Hide. Is that you, black pepper, ruining my dragon's blood? *shakes fist* There's something about this blend I just can't stand. The spices seem to throw everything out of whack and I end up smelling like Big Red gum.

Might get rid of this.

This has that dragon's blood note that I get out of Wolf's Heart, a spiced, milky warmth, but at the tail end of this scent, there's a heavy--flat--and slightly unpleasant note that brings misfortune to mind.

Despite the spiciness I can smell in this, there's a weird, weird sticky-sweet feeling to the smell of this. :P and it doesn't like me.

No spice or fire- turns to cherry-ish soap on me. The fact that I get zero spices out of this is reallly disconcerting. Thank you dragon's blood and my wacky chemistry.

Wet: there's a flowery, almost soapy note that's prevalent, with a flash of cinnamon and -- sandalwood? Mint? It's like there's something different every time I sniff. It's unpredictable.

Drying: there's a scent here that reminds me of some oatmeal goat's-milk soap that I like. But it's still not really a soapy smell. There's an oat note. :P There's also sweetish incense, but with enough clove and spice to keep it from smelling like a hippie shop. The spice notes are coming out more as it dries. Oooh, and there's the pepper, yay.

I think I like this. It's like an early-evening version of All Night Long. :D Not as overwhelmingly sexy, but fiery and energetic.

My first review, and I'm reviewing Wrath here because it was such a deep shock to me.

It sounds like it should be a spicy scent, right? I opened the imp and my nose did a little double-take. (It's cute that way.) But I pressed on, knowing full well that dry down is where it matters.

It smells like GARDENIA on me. Killer gardenia. It is even now reaching up from my arm and trying to strangle me. How gardenia came from cinnamon, clove, etc, I have no idea, but lordy.

in the vial: very sweet and fruity. This is much more what I thought dragon's blood would smell like than Dragon's Heart was.

wet on skin: phew! It's strong, fruity and sweet. I can't smell the individual spices, but it tickles my nose!

dry on skin: how weird! I keep thinking I can smell hyacinths! This is a much nicer dragon's blood than Dragon's Heart, and not at all angry! I can't smell the pepper, but it makes me want to sneeze anyway!

Ah - there's the pepper - and plenty of it! Still not getting cinnamon and clove, though. I'm not too keen on this one. Peppery hyacinths, and with a huge throw!!! Fortunately it fades after a few hours.

I thought for sure Wrath would burn, so I'm pleasantly surprised it didn't. On me, it smells like dragon's blood (which my skin turns to plumeria) and the barest hint of cinnamon. Nice but not my favorite db scent.