Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Wrath

A scent aflame with rage, swirling in the red haze of hatred: dragon's blood spiked with black pepper, clove, and cinnamon.

In the imp: Rich, warm dragon's blood and cinnamon.

Wet on my skin: Warm, sweet, and RED. The dragon's blood and cinnamon are the primary notes here.

Dry: For being such a laid-back and calm person, Wrath certainly likes me (and the feeling is mutual). It's almost like my personality itself tempers this red-hot anger and reins it in to something passionate and driven instead. It's still a very warm and red scent, with notes of gold and black. The pepper is faint, but present, and it's the spicy-sweet of fresh ground black pepper. The clove and dragon's blood are now foremost on me, with the cinnamon under that, and the pepper underneath it all. It's almost a candylike blend, or maybe spice cake. Yes, I think it's spice cake. Delicious. MMmmmmm.

Quite possibly the strangest perfume I've ever smelled. Almost defies description.

Sweet in the bottle. The opening is a sweet kind of resin, maybe? There are hints of cloves, almost like a sweet antiseptic. If cinnamon was a fruit, this would be the juice of that fruit.

Then it becomes kind of candy-like, but not "cinnamon red-hots." Finishes as too sweet. Not wrathful at all. Online research says the "dragon's blood" ingredient is a form of amber incense, which is kind of the last base note.

Apparently dragon's blood doesn't work with me at all, because I coveted this and Dragon's Hide quite literally for six months before I finally placed the order, and wow, I was so disappointed with both of them.

Predominantly clove and pepper, the dragon's blood is only a whisper in this. Masculine, but also kind of rank on me.

I'm reminded that DB is iffy for me. This one was all DB all the time. I love Blood Kiss so I had high hopes for this one! :(

This is a unique scent, not like any bpal I've tried! And the color is outrageous and beautiful. I'm not surprised that it's a little polarizing here on the reviews.

I'm getting no dragon's blood at all. Instead this is all cinnamon on me, reminding me of big red gum and a dentists office. Or wallgreens. Doesn't read as "wrath" at all to me. To the trade pile.

Edited by RasAlgethi

Dragon's blood resin is spicy floral on me. So Wrath is a very spicy floral on me. This is red, with a lot of heat. Not my thing.

Ooh, nope, not for me; red hot, kinda like spicy chips but sweet. If that's totally your thing though you might really like this!

As the notes say, on the wand, it smells like the lab's dragon's blood, spiced up and maybe a little honeyed. Of the spices, I smell the clove first, then cinnamon, then black pepper. In some blends I haven't liked black pepper, but it fits in here and doesn't overwhelm.

On my skin, the black pepper amps up at first, then settles down into the cinnamon, which is also strong. I can feel a slight burning from the skin irritants in the oil where I applied this on the inside of my elbow. A sensitive spot, but I just feel it, and see no flush to the skin.

The slight honeyed note on the wand fluffs out to a sweet cake-like smell on my skin, so this is like wearing a very heavily spiced cake. This has by far the strongest throw of today's four test scents.

Anger is spice cake. Mostly cinnamon cake. Who knew?

Wet: The Dragon's Blood, cinnamon and pepper are all very distinctive on me. The DB has an almost bubblegummy quality in this that I really don't care for. This smells a lot like Bazooka Joe gum - that weird spicy bubblegum combo.

Dry: Still smells like Bazooka Joe. Not for me!

In the imp: Dragon's blood front to back. There may be some spices lurking under the "spicy floral" scent of dragon's blood (cinnamon especially - I'm getting whiffs of it a good foot and a half away from the uncorked imp), but they're secondary at best.

Wet: The "floral" part of "spicy floral" resolves itself into jasmine, but it's quickly over taken by the cinnamon-heavy spiciness. Yup, Red Hots is what I'm getting, too. The Red Hots flip-flop with the more balanced, spicy jasmine scent.

Dry: Surprisingly, the jasmine comes out on top. There's still a lingering bit of spiciness, but it's not immediately readable as cinnamon. In fact, if I didn't know better, I would say carnation.

I've been wearing Wrath all day, reapplied twice, and at 9 pm my husband and 13-year-old son were screaming at each other. Hmm. Hopefully it's a coincidence because I really like it. It's a gorgeous orangy red, and wet it has a clean, powerful feeling, like righteous anger. As it dries down I get the Red Hots that Lunasariel and others have mentioned, but I always loved Red Hots. It's spicy and complex on me and lasts fairly well, which is rare with my chemistry.

I got this because i have anger issues. In thr bottle it's a sweetish, resiny cinnamon. On my skin fresh i can smell cinnamon and cloves, pleasant but not overly sweet. This may be the effect of the black pepper, which scentwise is not detectable to me at all. This is a little disappointing as i love black pepper. But it also seems to be mellowing out the other spices and the resin in a very lovely wet. The scwnt stays pretty consistent throughout it lasting period then fades to mostly dragon's blood. My first application was my usual amount and had very light throw and a short last. I applied it a little heavier the second time (2 coats on each pulse point) and it had a medium-lightish throw and lasted a few hours. The cinnamon in this did not burn me.

Edited by DiZZysTARdust

This smells very menthol-y to me, though that's not one of the listed notes. Like straight-up mentos. I guess I can get some pepper in there too, though.

Trying to decide if I like this one... it may need a full day's wearing to be sure.

In the imp: Lots of dragon's blood accompanied by black pepper, cinnamon, and clove. I am not really looking forward to the combination of dragon's blood and pepper on my skin, but here goes.

Wet: Alas, the dragon's blood and black pepper are the strongest notes on my skin, followed by the cinnamon. The cinnamon is pretty strong itself, but it has not overtaken the dragon's blood or black pepper. After a little bit, I do get the clove, but it isn't as strong as the other notes. The scent is really warm on my skin, but it hasn't started burning yet.

Dry: The cherry-floral of the dragon's blood combined with the spices is really bad on my skin. At one point, it smelled like a spicy cough syrup. Now, it's mainly the heady floral of dragon's blood with some black pepper and cinnamon.

Verdict: Not for me. But on a positive note, at least it didn't leave any welts?

Do you want something that lasts all day? Wrath is something that lingers on my skin (and in my hair), a spicy-sweet temptation that I love wearing. It's probably my next full-bottle purchase.

Almost everything takes on a certain sweetness on my skin, and the first impression I got from this was some sort of cinnamon and clove candy with hints of that deeper, earthier tone that I'm assuming was the dragon's blood. It's rich and hearty and if it were a food, I might worry about it giving me heartburn. I don't tend to pick up on the pepper much, at least in the overtones.

Wearing this instills me with a greater confidence than almost anything else I've tried so far, and that's almost as powerful as anything else about it. This scent is not particularly gendered (to me), but it's not particularly 'warm and inviting' in the way some may be looking for.

Freebie from the lab with my OLLA order. I won't be able to wear this due to the cinnamon, but the reviews are so intriguing that I have to at least give it a sniff.

In the imp: weirdly floral, heavy on the dragon's blood resin, and topped off with pepper and clove.

Wet: I'm risking welts on the back of my hands but - sweet cinnamon buns, summer flowers, and a warm, sultry beach smell (coconut? ocean salt?) This is not at all what I expected; it's not wrath on me by a long shot, it's gluttony, sloth, and lust. And annoyingly, it's starting to morph into something really lovely at around the 2-3 minute mark ... but it's also starting to burn like mad.

For the sniffs alone, ★★★½. I'd really love to know what this does over a full day, but nothing is worth that level of pain.

Wet: This one starts out all pepper and clove.

After about five minutes it dries down to something light, sweet and..fresh? Fresh spices if that makes any sense at all. Maybe it’s the dragons blood, because I’m not quite sure what else would cause this scent to smell like this.

After thirty minutes the scent warms up. And to me, the combo of cinnamon, clove and pepper that’s now most prominent on my skin smells like nutmeg. Like, sprinkling nutmeg on a warm dish and inhaling the smell. This stage softens more and more till the scent disappears after about three hours of wear.

Verdict: It’s not a bad scent, but the stage that lasts longest on me is a bit too much cooking spices and not enough perfume for my taste.

In the imp: Dragon's blood, pepper, and the cinnamon-candy kind of cinnamon.

On my skin:

Wet, I can only smell dragon's blood at first, though my skin can definitely feel the spices. (Just a warm tingling right now, which is common for me.) As it dries, I get more of the cinnamon-candy smell. I can still detect the dragon's blood underneath, and I suspect that hours from now, it's the dragon's blood that will remain longest. But for now, the scent seems content to be cinnamon candy on me. 

I have many fond memories of cinnamon candy, so this scent doesn't exactly evoke Wrath for me, but it's fun nonetheless. 

I'd be interested to layer this with something like Sin (which purports to contain cinnamon but which always leaves me wanting additional cinnamon). 

Throw is on the stronger side of average on me.

Good heavens, this was unexpected! As only the lab loves to pull off Lol! So, I probably would have never gone for this one to try, ordinarily... but I was generously frimped, and I'm grateful to have the experience. Reason being that I really dislike dragon's blood--normally. Because to me it is just a hot, damp, floral that smells almost like too-sweet ylang-ylang. Upon first sniff, this is actually beautiful, and light, and flowery enough that I honestly thought there was a heavy dose of actual (fresh) ylang-ylang in it... then checked the notes, and no, it's really the soapy, cloying, floral scent of dragon's blood. And dragon's blood goes to straight old timey soap almost 100% of the time, on me. However, I went for it anyway because it smelled warm, and sweet, and pretty, and incensey/spicy (and I love spices). And the minute I applied it, as soon as it hit my skin (up until about the half hour mark), it was... delicious. Like... incredibly delicious. Like gingerbread cookies BUT without being at all foody somehow (I think because of the floral backdrop)! Magic! I don't know how else to describe it at first, other than a grown-up, non foody ginger spice (maybe slightly woody) biscuit/cake. It's definitely a dry, resinous spice cookie all right, but I'd say most heavy on the cinnamon to my nose. Which, I love cinnamon. I think the pepper and clove are just uplifting it here.

And then.... and then... dragon's blood. :(  So, all the spices die completely and I'm left with a summery jasmine/ylang-ylang smelling soap. It is actually pretty light though.... not giving me a headache or anything, and also I dare say slightly more dry, deep, and grounded than a real floral would have been. It's like a floral without the somewhat menthol/aquatic element many florals have.  If only it would stay in the fresh stage, it would be divine! It fades more quickly than I'd expect wrath, or even dragon's blood to, too. I might wear this despite the soapy drydown just because I love the fresh stage so much. I think a really deep, rich, dark, dry vanilla (or vanilla incense) could have maybe saved this actually. And a teensy bit more lasting spice.

Edited by Shadowdawn

Wet: I thought I was getting cherry Coke syrup first.  This smells like the Bottle Cap candy from the 80s.  Specifically cola or rootbeer.  

Dry: It's tingling so there's definitely the lab's cinnamon in there.  It's like taking the lid off a glass candy jar of Fireball candy or those giant cinnamon bears that's been in a warm room.

#BPALphabetAUG20

Edited by DigitalCoyote

In the vial: cinnamon certainly and some pepper and clove – the spices rise up to meet the nostril

On me, wet: so THAT is dragon’s blood, very nice indeed. Like! The cinnamon and clove are still very present

On me, just dried: Dragon breathes forth his fire, but he’s been eating red hots with clove oil

After 15 minutes: Not much of a change. This dragon sure loves his red hots.

After 30 minutes: dragon’s blood boiling now and pepper in the pot.

After 1 hour: pepper, cinnamon still but not as candy now, rather a dry incensy kind of vibe

After 3 hours: now very strangely, something floral has come to surprise me – I don’t understand it at all.

Verdict: this is one of the frimps I pawned off on the fella, that is to say I like it, and would like it even more on him, but it’s just not me.

First impression: spicy clove candy and dragon's blood.

Cinnamon candy on skin, better and more nuanced than a standard Red Hots scent and not overpowering at all. The cloves give it a cozy base. But I keep getting wafts of dragon's blood, which is really not my note, and that will probably relegate it to my swap box. 

Every note is well-represented, but I'd say the result is more "impish and playful" than wrathful! I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this. 

Got an imp of this as a freebie in my very first forum order, and while it's something I'm not sure I would have picked up for myself, it's got a lot of promise in terms of things that I like. Dragon's blood is a note that I had a bit of wariness towards, but I've loved BPAL's in the Lunar New Year scents, so I'm at least open to the idea of it. I tend to like spicy scents, and BPAL's clove and black pepper notes have been my friends in the past. Cinnamon is a new note for me, and I know that it can be an irritant to a lot of people's skins (and my skin is known for being very reactive, on the other hand, it doesn't necessarily agree with most people's about what is a problem). I find myself very curious though!

In the imp: sharp bright spices, surprisingly sweet cinnamon takes the forefront here, but I can smell that clove and the prickle of black pepper. The dragon's blood is there but very quiet in the imp providing something slightly resinous to the sweetness.

On initial application to skin: there's a burst of cinnamon and clove, still quite sweet, more than I would have expected with a name like Wrath. No initial negative skin response, so that's good.

As it starts to dry: It reminds me of how the kitchen smells when making a spiced simple syrup. Sweet spicy cinnamon and cloves are definitely the dominant elements here, but that slight prickle of black pepper remains keeping it from becoming cloying along with the hint of a resin that I'm not sure that I could pick out as dragon's blood at this stage.

On dry down: This sits on the verge of being too sweet on my skin, but just on the safe side. The cinnamon is a very bright light sort of cinnamon on me, and the clove is sweet and bright as well, not dusty or dry as it can sometimes be. The black pepper remains just the slightest prickle of a note, but it's important in holding back the sweetness from being overwhelming. The resinous dragon's blood note has opened up some to help warm the scent further. I think that I'm going to stick by my assessment of spiced simple syrup, but in a good way!

Overall, I like this. Not necessarily a bottle's worth of like, but I'm definitely going to keep the imp around and see how much I use it. I could see this going into my "I want to add spiciness to this" layering rotation.