Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Wrath

A scent aflame with rage, swirling in the red haze of hatred: dragon's blood spiked with black pepper, clove, and cinnamon.

This was the first BPAL product I got!
In the bottle: All I can smell is cinnamon candy.
Wet: Still cinnamon candy, and I can smell the pepper a bit. But the whole thing is so intense that I was worried to make people around me uncomfortable when I first wore it at work.
Dry: The clove and something more powdery and sweet starts to come out (maybe the dragon's blood, I don't know how it smells on its own), while the cinnamon fades considerably. I love the scent on this phase.
Even I loved the scent overall (especially when dry), it completely fades away in 3 or 4 hours. Maybe it's just my skin...

I don't know what to make of this scent. i expected cinnamon blazing, but all i get is a non-descript accord; i don't even know what to make of it! If wrath smelt like this, then it would be anything, but wrath.

Edited by theredkilt

Love the concept of this! The four oils seemed perfect for expressing it.

In the vial: The oil is a beautiful salmon pink. The scent? Ajax cleanser. So that's what Ajax is made out of! Who knew? ;) I would never have guessed any of the ingredients just by the smell alone. Or that this combination of oils would smell like this.

On me, wet: The first whiff I get is floral, which can only be from the dragon's blood. (I've seen the scent of dragon's blood described as a cross between rose and cherry.) But then - whoosh! - and the Ajax is back with max force. If I concentrate (and sniff) hard enough, I can pick out all three of the spices, though.

On me, drydown: The rose-like note and cinnamon predominate now, which should be very pleasant. But it all still adds up to Ajax for me. Maybe my mind is just stuck on that idea.

On me, after an hour: Now it's only clove and cinnamon, with my nose right up to it. But from about 6 inches away, I smell cherry. Very interesting, and so much more pleasant than the Ajax! I'm glad I gave it a try. Based on the scent in the imp, I thought I would hate it. But I like it now that the odor of Ajax is gone.

After 2 hours: Now the spices have calmed down, and the main note is Dragon's Blood albeit a slightly spicy Dragon's Blood.

Verdict: This isn't a perfume I'll reach for very often. I will keep it, though, and choose it every now and then just for something really different. And especially on days when I feel wrathful. It makes me feel powerful and abrasive!

I see this as a unisex fragrance.

My rating: 3 overall (4 after the first hour, when the Ajax has disappeared)

This was a frimp. Not something I would pick for myself so we'll see how it goes. I like cinnamon so maybe I'll enjoy it.

In imp: It smells good. Like nectar with a slight cinnamon bite. Very sweet.

On wet: I definitely smell the cinnamon with an odd wood smell in the background. It also smells like incense ash to me.

Dry: This smell reminds me a lot of a friends house I spent a lot of time at as a pre-teen and teen. There it was a mixture of cigarettes, cheap incense and dollar store body sprays and lotions all combined. Here in Wrath I don't know what I'm smelling. I get cinnamon, and oh yeah, dragons blood. My friends mom must have worn or burned something with dragons blood. Quite the nostalgic trip here. :)

Overall: Not my thing. Smells like every new age type store. I have never been a fan of dragons blood though. I have a lot of negative memory associations with it.

I won't talk about the notes because everyone has done it so well there's little that can be added. But here are my impressions of the scent:

I don't get the name of this scent at all: Rage? Hatred?? Are you kidding me???

What I get is piquant mystery, wondrous exoticism, an achingly beautiful enchantress who, without a word, leaves a trail of questions and troubling memories in her wake.

The scent is spicy, yes, but the spice is counteracted with softness and mouthwatering yumminess without getting in the teenage foody mess, somehow. To me, it conveys calm, centeredness, focus, all perfectly balanced with that take no prisoners-dead on sexy-terminally seductive streak that comes from self knowing, confidence, and the kind of class you can only be born with because it's too elusive to be acquired.

She's Bengal's better educated older sister. If there's any wrath in her, it's the icy hot white revenge born from lots of deep thought and reflection, years after being wronged: you won't remember you screwed her over by the time her vengeance slams down on you, and you sure as hell won't recover.

Once her payback has been dealt to her satisfaction, she stretches contentedly and purrs like a cat basking in the sun.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck, I so totally looooooooooove this, whoa!!! :lovestruck:

In imp: Smells sweeter than I expected, given the notes listed in the description.

On wet: Still smells pretty sweet -- a lot like Red Hots candy or Atomic Fireballs.

Dry: The cinnamon and clove really comes out strongly. It's not too bad a scent, but frankly it feels a little bit timid to me. I also think it's oddly misnamed, because it still makes me think of Red Hots, which is not really a smell I associate with wrath, but more with summer camp or Halloween when I was in third grade. It's sort of a polite version of wrath. On the whole, it's a pleasant enough scent, but not in a way I find all that interesting.

First review! Imp received from shadith.

In the bottle - there's a faintly medicinal tang from the clove. Surprisingly little cinnamon, and I can't smell dragon's blood at all.

Wet on the skin - mmm, cinnamon. Lots of cinnamon. A hint of the pepper, which is really nice.

Dry - why HELLO, dragon's blood! The spices are chilling out a bit and the blood is coming through, making a gorgeously musky blend. My arm smells amazing. It's a sweet scent, too. Husbandface is quite keen, but then he's a big fan of cinnamon so it's not really surprising.

Yum.

In the imp: At first I couldn't tell what this smells like, but after a while it all came to me: Jenka bubblegum (I've heard it's similair to Root Beer) and flowers. My mother said it smells like watermelon and fancy soap to her..!

On me: Flowers, honey and a little pepper in the background!

After an hour: I think about some really classic lady-perfume. It's floral with honey and a twist! Unfortunately I don't get any of the notes listed on the BPAL-page, which is very sad since cinnamon and clove are two of my favorite notes!

I'm not a floral fan, but I do think this one would suit someone who is older than me. An aristocratic lady in her 40s or 60s would totally pull this off! I.. do not. Sadly.

Edited by Missy_killer

In the imp: Rootbeer, no wait, sassafras. Slightly woody, very spicy, and the pepper tickles my nose, reminding me of bubbles in soda.

Wet on my wrist: The cinnamon and pepper are dying down, and the dragon's blood (ie sassafras to my nose today) is becoming creamier and soft.

Dry on my wrist: All traces of spice are gone and all I am left with is sassafras. Not so wrathful.

Ooh. Dragon's blood on its own is bad on me, and I don't really like cinnamon, but I've had a good experience with dragon's blood and spice. Hmmmmmmm.

In the imp: CINNAMON and dragon's blood and clove.

On me, wet: Ooh, this feels really warm to me. I think the pepper and clove are doing a good job of rounding out the dragon's blood so it doesn't do that chalky-sweet thing that dragon's blood does on my skin. As far as dragon's blood blends go, I think this is my favorite so far, even with the cinnamon. The spices fill in that dragon's blood chalkiness and turn it into a blazing warm blend that, to me, smells like the essence of fire--but not actual fire or smoke.

On me, dry: I think this might be my favorite of the dragon's blood blends I've tried. It's a pleasantly warm, spicy scent that, while not really my thing, I enjoyed trying. And now I know that dragon's blood can smell really nice when other notes are involved! :D

It's all cinnamon and dragon's blood to me- not a hint of clove, the possible hint of pepper. It does wake up my nose, though. There's just something cloying about it that doesn't make it work so well on me. And I really want it to, because I love the idea of the sins collection.

On me it was mostly dragon's blood with a little cinnamon and a hint of spice, which made it nice, actually. I was worried about this one, since Port Royal and I didn't get along, but it's not bad. Not fantastic, but okay. Probably going to the swaps, I don't keep ones that are just "okay."

Wrath came in my first ever order from BPAL. It was chosen for me by my sister as a surprise scent, meaning I didn't pick it for myself, but I liked the description nonetheless.

Most people mention here that Wrath smells like 'Red Hots' or 'Cinnamon Candy'. I haven't had either of these, and that could partly explain the different associations I drew from it. For me, when I opened the bottle Wrath smelled like frangipani. A really, really sickly sweet frangipani scent. I found it overpowering and not at all alluring, but as every other scent I had tried so far changed dramatically once on me, I decided to give it a try. Wouldn't you know it, this was the only scent that didn't morph. It just stayed a cloyingly sweet miasma until I couldn't take it and washed it off.

To be fair I decided to try it once more before putting it aside for good. The second time it smelled the same, but wasn't as overpowering so I kept it on for several hours and at the end there was a faint hint of spice under the sweetness. Suffice to say, this is definitely not for me. I didn't have much luck with this batch of imps, but I have hope things will work out better next time.

Edited by Scorianelle

I should note that this is my first encounter with dragon’s blood, and I had no idea what it was going to be like. Apparently.... it needs to stay far away from me.

Imp: Expecting something warm and spicy and devilish... and I get jasmine. Or lilac. White florals. A dash of cinnamon, maybe resin underneath, but overwhelmingly floral. :ack:

First on: At least the jasmine gets spicier. It is warm now, with a good bit of cinnamon, some clove. Seems musky, even, and very sweet – cloyingly so. I don’t usually get colour associations from smells, but this is a deep, glowing orange.

5 minutes: Something patchouli-ish. Floral is calming down. It’s a bit sweet, but not as much as it was, and the spices balance it nicely.

10 minutes: For the first time in my life, I’m getting the jasmine -> port-a-potty association. The spiciness even substitutes for the chemical bite. Not pleasant.

15 minutes: It’s not too bad at this point... but the cinnamon is Red Hots, not the natural, woody cinnamon that I like.

25 minutes: Yes, yes, it is so bad. Now, though, it’s less port-a-potty than it is soap. So much soap! It’s at this point that I decide I'm going to go ahead and just SKIP all future dragon's blood blends, because that's the only thing that could be making such a mess of it. I don't mind the lurking clove or abundant cinnamon - can't find any pepper, honestly - but that smell, it must leave. Now. Not what I want to smell like. I decide to give it another hour or so to chill out, then I’m washing it off.

2 hours: Still smells exactly like soap. Not just “soapy” (although it is), but like a soap I must have used at some point, because that’s all I can smell. Fresh, soapy soap. Not at all wrathful. Unless it’s a wrathful.... baby bunny. It’s also powerful, and hasn’t faded a bit. And is hard to wash off.

Summary: Spicy port-a-potty, then soap. My chemistry obviously loathes dragon’s blood. :evil:

Rating: 0.5/5

Imp: Strong, cleaner-y floral, which is always how dragon's blood registers to me, with some kitcheny spices dancing around it.

Wet: An INTENSE, sweet floral, almost like muguet but with more juicy fruit gum. There's a pleasant, nose-tingling spice behind it, and that part smells a lot like Three Witches. I do get a "hot" feel from this, but if it's angry, it's angry with a lot of flowers.

Dry: This vanishes almost instantly, leaving only a lingering trace of floral behind. Nice, but not for me.

In the Imp (ITI): The smoky aspect that follows the dragon's blood is intense. It reminds me of standing next to a cedar wood smoker.

Wet: Smoky black pepper, cinnamon, and dragon's blood. I like this despite the overt smokiness. In fact, I think I like it because of the smokiness.

Dry: Once dried, the clove and cinnamon combine beautifully with the Dragon's Blood resin and the smoky pepper. Wonderful!

I do not like this one at all:

It's musty, metallic, rank and greasy smelling. I do detect the slightest amount of cinnamon but it is drowned by the general unpleasantness of the scent. I suppose I would dump this on some I don't like, lol. Wrathful indeed.

In the bottle: Spicy, slightly floral

Wet: Dragon's blood with a hefty dose of pepper that literally clears out my nostrils. That's okay since I have a bit of sinus thing going on. My skin is starting to heat up from the cinnamon and pepper?

Dry: Sweet and floral, I guess from the dragon's blood, blends beautifully with the cinnamon and pepper coming out strong. Clove peeks out from time to time.

Conclusion: I never would have bought Wrath so I'm glad the lab set me an imp. Smells like wrath...aggressive and spicy. I need a bottle of this.

Got this as a frimp. Sounds fun, and looks red in the vial.

In bottle: Cinnamon and dragon's blood.

Wet: Cinnamon and... bubble gum? Lilac? It's sweeter than expected.

Drydown: Like cinnamon candy - spicy and sweet. A bit powdery.

Dry: Very flowery. The cinnamon becomes fairly subdued.

Not what I had anticipated from the concept of Wrath. It's a spicy floral that's more floral than spicy. I was hoping for something a tad more masculine. Not a bad scent, but not something I'll wear in public. Will likely give this to a girl.

Wrath was a frimp with a Lab order a while back. I've been hesitant to wear it beyond an initial skin test, given that I have a Taurean temper anyway and didn't want to wave the red flag in front of the Bull. There really was no reason to worry after all. This is my second time wearing it and I have come around to the idea that it's really more of a homeopathic remedy for wrath, not something that would induce or exacerbate wrath. Wearing it actually feels pretty happy to me.

Dragon's blood resin amps on my skin with a dark pink floral tone. I also tend to amp cinnamon, so those two notes could be battling it out for dominance, but it turns out they're singing a lovely harmony. There's just a little hint of black pepper and maybe just a bit more clove, which creates a nice supportive base for the dragon's blood and cinnamon.

There may come a time when I decide to buy a bottle of Wrath, but for now I already have Dragon's Milk, Dragon's Musk, and Blood for those times when I feel like wearing some dragon's blood.

Today was one of those testing days that were not-good (one turned plasticky, the other into Play-Doh)... so to brighten my mood, I will try this, which I have no expectations whatsoever for! I was going to save this for last because it was naughty and decided to leak in my imp box, but fuggit - THE TIME FOR WRATH IS NOW.

This was a frimp from joyfulgirl, btw. Thank yooooou! :)

/opens imp

In imp: Spice rack FROM HELL, more savory than sweet. Reminds me of a sauce more than anything else. This is pretty bizarre. (In retrospect, I think I'm amping/amped the pepper.)

Wet, on skin: Good news: I have not randomly developed a cinnamon allergy. It's still strange and vegetable-like. Dragon's Hide is one of my faves, so why isn't the dragon's blood in here behaving?

Dry: The cinnamon finally comes out and makes a difference - a HUGE difference. I'm not sure if I'd wear it, but... um... actually this is kinda sexy.

I'm starting to get the Red Hots comparisons - this is actually getting BETTER the more it dries, so I hope it holds up!

VERDICT: Into the like/retest pile... er... mentally, due to its oily status. Saved. FOR NOW.

179: WRATH
GC: Sin and Salvation
"A scent aflame with rage, swirling in the red haze of hatred: dragon's blood spiked with black pepper, clove, and cinnamon."

Received from lab 14 December 2013

In bottle: Dragon's blood. This is reminding me of Plunder - there is a "hole" here where something hot and spicy or tart should be. It's got that weird, almost unpleasantly smooth feel.

Wet: Sweet, flowery dragon's blood - the spice-shaped hole is gone. The pepper and cinnamon are here, but no clove yet. Strong throw (which is unusual for me) - I can smell this with my arm down at my side!

Dry: The spices disappeared for the most part and this is a sweet, rich, floral-ish dragon's blood. I like! This has crazy throw and staying power on me which is enough to make me want a bottle. Very sweet and not "wrathful" at all!

I really like this - strong, sweet, floral-yet-not dragon's blood. Very nice and definitely worth a bottle in the near future!

4.5/5

In the imp: Wow, this does smell angry! Hot (like the temperature, not the flavour), peppery & with a little cinnamon & clove!

Wet on skin: Warm & resiny, but with a weird, spicy-pepperiness to it! I'm not sure what to make of this, as I've never smelled anything like it before!

Dry on skin: I can't say I've ever wondered what wrath would smell like, if it had a smell. But this? This smells very right for the name! It's warm & spicy & peppery & a little resiny &... kind of meaty? Steak with a VERY peppery, evil, red sauce? It's weird, it almost feels like being at a restaurant, but not any REAL restaurant. If there was a restaurant in Hell, this is exactly what it would smell like.

It smells like anger. It smells like rage. It smells like fury. I don't understand what is happening, but I think I like it? I almost want to go hit something now...

After a few hours: The dragons blood resin is now easier to spot & I think it might be that mixing with the pepper which is giving me the "meaty" vibe? The spices are blended better, but I can still pick all of them out. I most definitely did not get any of the sweet or floral notes that so many others mentioned!

Verdict: I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS SMELL! I like it, but I also don't! So confusing! I think I need to give it a few more tries.

dragon's blood spiked with black pepper, clove, and cinnamon.

This was a generous frimp from my last decant circle participation, so I don't know its age.

In the bottle: Peppery, cinnamony, honeyish dragon's blood. Smells delicious.

On my skin: Dragon' blood with a spice in it. I can make out the cinnamon and it has a bit of a kick to it which is the black pepper but it is hard to single it out as "black pepper" and right now it is very faint too. So far it doesn't smell wrathful but delicious instead - not that I mind. ;P I haven't managed to sniff the clove yet but maybe it will come out later. About 15-20 minutes in I get a spicy blend of cinnamony dragon's blood.

Drydown: Dragon's blood with a hint of cinnamon spice.

This was an unfortunate one for me because every single scent listed here sound awesome to me (and I personally LOVE the smell of clove) but on me... well. Here are the notes I typed after I applied it:

Smelling cinnamon and black pepper with an odd soapy note. I would assume this is the dragon's blood, because it did the same thing to me in another dragon's blood-centric perfume I have. If it's the same as that, it'll fade after a bit though. Thankfully. ...Yeah it's like 5 minutes in and the cinnamon is defeating the soap hooray. ...meh, damn. Back to soap. ...And now the soap is slightly morphing into something a little woody. Yeah nah I just can't get into this. It smells like Ivory soap with spices wafting through now and again.

So yes. In essence, it is a battle between cinnamon and Ivory soap, and the Ivory soap unfortunately wins out. It is definitely the dragon's blood's fault-- that's a really funky scent on me. Sometimes it smells like the stuffy Indian curio shop in Providence I sometimes visit (which is not the most pleasant smell in the world either; makes me wanna sneeze!); other times it smells like straight-up soap. This, unfortunately, is the latter.