Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Wrath

A scent aflame with rage, swirling in the red haze of hatred: dragon's blood spiked with black pepper, clove, and cinnamon.

I ordered this one on a lark, and because a friend waxed ecstatic about it, although I was dubious about the "dragon's blood" because I don't know what it is.[1] In the bottle it's bright red; my first reaction on opening it was "Wow, cinnamon!" Unfortunately, the cinnamon doesn't hold its own against the other elements once it's on, and R. and B. both found it very objectionable.[2] I still rather like it, but not enough to make them put up with it -- and I'm going to wash it off before I go to bed, because R. said it had headache potential.

[1] I do now, having seen Beth's link to a botanicals site.

[2] Apparently I chased B. out of the den by sitting down with her to watch a figure-skating competition on TV. R. said this could be considered payback for the times she's stunk up the back part of the house with a particularly vile B&BW "berry-scented" shampoo!

I still want a cinnamon scent. Maybe I'll check out Three Witches, which seems to be a similar formulation but without the dragon's blood.

I really like this one!

Wet: very cherry

Dry: The cinnamon really kicks in and it really reminds me of how those cinnimon hard candies taste like! And I think the pepper and clove add a little darkness!

In the bottle, sweet and spicy and lovely. I think I like dragon's blood. Trying it on skin right away to make sure we don't have a repeat of Three Witches....so far so good. I can smell mainly dragon's blood and clove, with a little cinnamon.

I like it, it's very warm and spicy, but still sweet. Would I be twisted if I said this was a calming blend to me?

Wrath is melted red hots! Spicey, Cinnamony, but with a sweetness underneath. It's definitely a warm scent. I can smell the dragon's blood. Mmmm, the clove is starting to come up a little bit. Oh I like this so much!

In the bottle: Cinnamon and cinnamon!

On first application: I smell like a freshly-opened bag of Red Hots or package of Big Red gum. It's not bringing on a headache or necessarily bad...but not exactly what I want to smell like, either.

After 20 minutes: Big Red is fading! Yippee! Now there's a spicier smell...maybe it's cinnamon and clove, because I only caught a brief whiff of the pepper in the very beginning. Whatever it is, the scent is retaining a dominant cinnamon note while becoming sweeter, though not candy sweet on me.

One hour later: Ohhhh....this is lovely. It's developed into a very pretty cinnamon floral, which I can only assume is the dragon's blood coming out, since I've never tried a BPAL oil with dragon's blood before. The clove is decidedly in the background, and I don't smell pepper at all.

This didn't last as long on me as some other BPAL oils- maybe 6 hours or so? Still a rather long time, though. I'm not very fond of the beginning stage, but it doesn't last long, and I really like the last and longest stage of Wrath. I'll definitely keep the imp!

Wrath

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): By the Gods – this is incredible! Three Witches meets Dragon’s Blood with a kick! Cinnamon, Clove, Pepper, Dragon’s Blood … mmm, mmm, mmm. This goes straight to the Big Bottle List.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): This continues to warm up. The dragon’s blood adds a nice sweet backdrop to the spiciness of the cinnamon, clove and pepper. Still utterly gorgeous.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): Much sweeter than Three Witches, this is definitely a Dragon’s Blood scent. Sweet and a bit spicy, I must try layering it to see if I can make it spicier ... mmm … nummy indeed.

First sniff:

Warm and spicy and very inviting smelling, oddly enough. I smell dragon's blood and cinnamon most prominently followed by a peppery undertone that reminds me of Three Witches and makes my nose tingle like I'm about to sneeze. This is beautiful! :P

Wet on skin:

This reminds me almost exactly of a clove candle I have that's never quite smelled like pure cloves, more like cinnamon and ground cloves with a hint of sweetness. This is a very warm smelling scent and, in spite of the name, it feels very welcoming to me, like a kitchen where someone's grandmother (certainly not mine; she doesn't know how to cook) is baking some sort of cinnamon pastries.

Dry down:

The dragon's blood is coming out strongly now, followed closely by the cinnamon...real cinnamon, not cinnamon red-hots. The peppery smell is still there in the background if I concentrate hard enough and it adds even more depth and spice to an already deep and spicy blend.

The bottom line:

I love this one. I feel very warm and content wearing this blend for some reason. I'm going to be seriously considering ordering a bottle of this one. It's the perfect spicy scent for me. :D

I love Wrath in the vial and it makes me so sad that it doesn't stay that way on me!

Black pepper, clove and cinnamon are some of my very favorite notes. If they were dominant, this would probably be my all time favorite blend.

However, on me this goes quite "heady floral" - my dragon's blood problem.

It's still more wearable on me than Dragon's Heart, but not as much as I need it to be to obtain a spot in permanent rotation.

(Bloodlust and Dragon's Milk have fared best for me thus far with the dragon's blood blends - though I have high hopes for Blood - on it's way from a swapper)

I knew I would love this...and I do. My favorites, Dragon's Blood and Cinnamon. I don't get the redhots thing, I just get lovely DBR and Cinnamon. Absolutely delicious!!! :P

Edited by ewalk

In the Bottle: Thick dragon’s blood, which always ends up smelling like cherries on me. Not even a hint of the black pepper or cinnamon.

On Me: You know, I’m starting to think that its dragon’s blood that turns to diapers on me. I didn’t notice any civet in the description. There seems to be a slight smell of cherries and cinnamon, but still in the background is that awful smell that just starts to turn my stomach, the smell of a potential dirty diaper. I swear, you could make it a mystery ingredient and I’ll pick it out every time.

To my delight, this hasn’t turned, but its still a scent in the background, one that really overpowers the other scents that have seemed to have already disappeared. This doesn’t smell wrath-like at all, more like a stomach turning scent. No, I think that Wrath will be heading to the swaps. The dry down is pleasant, but its waiting for it that makes me nautious.

Wrath has overtaken Blood as my favorite Dragon's Blood blend -- leaving Blood battered and beaten to a pulp waaaay back in the distance, even.

Wrath is the child of Blood and Three Witches. It has the dragon's blood and clove from Blood, and the cinnamon and pepper from Three Witches, blended into a caconophy of delicious spiciness that lasts forever.

I really like Wrath quite a bit. It is a very warming fragrance. The cinnamon is just lovely. Perfect for cold winter nights...... :P

Wet this has lots of almost incensy spice to it. The pepper is strongest while it is wet. As it dries it goes through a somewhat unpleasant phase that goes right to my stomach. That disappears within minutes to become a sweet dragon's blood blend with just a little extra warmth from the cloves and cinnamon.

The SO really likes blends with dragon's blood I have discovered. And Wrath is no exception to that rule. I have a few more reservations particularly because of the weird (though short lived) plasticy stage that turns my stomach (darn strange body chemistry), but other than that find that I like it quite a bit

wow what a spicey hot scent. perfect!

dragon's blood creates the base, w/ a nice warm peppery, kick. The clove and cinnamon are just barely there (udsually my chemistry magnifies them) all around a nice hot firey scent.

Mmm...spicy goodness. Wrath certainly lives up to its name! Unfortunately, a bit too much for me; ow, it burns! No, really! Wrath turned my skin bright red and it was very sore. :P While I love it, I think it would be better suited to someone else. :D

Wrath smells spicy and hot out of the imp.

I was thinking it would be like Tintagel, but it wasn't. I do not smell any of the dragon's blood, I only smell cinnamon. I was hoping to get the other notes, but it was just red-hots. :P

As it dried down, I still get the cinnamon, but I also get glimpses of the pepper and clove. Not bad, but not my favorite dragon's blood blend.

First sniff from the bottle- This smells familiar...like a school or a doctors office. It is not a bad smell, not at all medicinal...more like cherry scented sanitizer?

After 10 minutes- Ok, this does not smell at all like I thought it would. It is very sweet, like cherry cough syrup. Cinnamon and clove are my favorites but I can't smell them in this at all. I do however smell the black pepper, which is just plain weird mixed with the Dragons Blood.

After 30 minutes- Ok, now I can smell the spices. That's better. It took a while for them to come out.

Summery- Bummer. I though for sure I would love this one seeing that I love all the ingredients in it. It is way to cherry syrup sweet for my taste. Off to swaps it goes.

Wrath

This was a freebie from the lab. Thanks!

Preconceived notions: I love dragon’s blood, and I’ve never tried it with spices, finding it to already be quite spicy. This should be fantastic.

In the vial: Yes, oh God, yes! The dragon’s blood has a kind of metallic quality in this blend, which reminds me of vetiver in other blends. I never can keep the two of them apart when one of them goes metallic like this. But since I like vetiver, oh, this smells powerful and yes, very angry.

On me:

This is spice heaven. The different spices all come out, including the spice from the dragon’s blood, and yes, the cinnamon is starting to burn a little. Whoops - forgot about that. People in earlier reviews have said that it’s a dark and turbulent fire. Yes, this fire is black, yet still hot - a coal that is lit, but still black, and very hot. Similarly, someone else called it a lingering, calculated anger, and the same coal experience applies. I guess I’m too used to burning dragon’s blood on charcoal tablets. . . Plus, that metallic part is giving it a cold hearted quality. This is Lucius Malfoy when Harry has just given Dobby the sock. Also, it would make an excellent blend (both concerning the actual ingredients and concerning the smell) for workings having to do with fire.

In 30 minutes: Softer, but no real change.

In 1 hour: Still no change, still very slowly fading.

Overall: This is a wonderful, hot, spice scent. I’m not always in the mood for that sort of thing, so while I might get more imps, I’ll probably not get a bigger bottle. Still, this is one I’d always like to have an imp of around. Oh - add a little wood (Yggdrasil? Cathedral?) and you’d get what I hoped Wildfire would be like.

Edited by Witch's Dagger

The dragons blood became the dominant note in this for me, which meant that there was a light floral scent under all that spice. The cinnamon was prevalent for a while, but the clove and pepper never popped in. Cinnamon and flowers just didn't do much for me on this one and I guess I had hoped it would be a little...well..angrier. I have long since learned the DB can be odd with my chemistry however so not such a huge loss and off to swaps.

First, I jsut have to drool over this. *drool*I ordered an imp from the Lab, but I also won one in an ebay auction because I was tyring to get Red Moon. :D

In the bottle: I can definitely smell each componant and identify them. Pepper is the strongest here, and I can see why some people might think red hots.

Wet: Pepper & dragon's blood jump out in front, and my jaw dropped. I almost wrecked the car from sniffing my inner elbow (I tried a few scents at once). :P I get an image of an expensive, professional dominatrix with a big cat-o-nine tail, all in black. I swoon just snififng myself.

Dry down: Sadly, the pepper was short lived. The dragon's blood, clove & cinnamon however make a lushious combination. The dom has now morphed into a raven haired sex goddess, in a long red gown like the one Satine has in Moulin Rouge. Very sexy, spicy yet with a hint of sweetness.

6 hours later, and I can no longer smell myself (of course, I spent an hour sniffing at Black Broom earlier & probably wore out my nose), but when I asked a friend to sniff me, she could still smell me.

This definitely gets a big bottle, once one of my imps are gone.

This is another scent that I shared with my fiancé. It's amazing how different out body chemistry is, because it smells lousy on me, but great on him. Life is SO unfair!

In the bottle

Very peppery! I get a whiff of the cinnamon right away, and I want to stick my tongue in the vial.

On me

Oh hell no. The "red hot" smell disappears instantly and all I can smell is an overwhelming aroma of sea salt. It's like I've been soaking in a bathtub filled with seawater and dissolving red hots. While it could be worse, it could be a whole lot better. :P

On him

His skin brings out all of the good stuff! Cinnamon with a touch of pepper to keep him from smelling like a candy store. I definitely get a "firey rage" thing here, and I so wish it had the same effect on my skin.

Overall, we'll keep this imp so he can wear it. I am so jealous.

EDIT(4/7/05): My body chemistry must have been wacky when I posted this review. I LOVE WRATH ON ME!!!! My wish came true... it DOES do everything on me that it does on him. Pepper, cinnamon, and spice. I bought a bottle and I'm in love.

Edited by mobilejessie

Wet I can smell the dragon's blood as a rich and not too sweet note, the pepper (dry and sharp) and a bit of the cinnamon.

As time goes by the clove turns up to compensate the smell, and I get strong chaish undertones with this one.

Warm and a bit sweet, I wish wrath would be like this! :P

ET: change the spelling.

Edited by quimerula

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a word or two: Red Hots candy.

In the imp/bottle: At first, I can only discern clove and cinnamon, though that "Hmm" bit might well be the black pepper. I love the spicy-ness of it.

On skin, wet: The cinnamon and clove still stand out above anything else, but I'm starting to notice the Dragon's Blood. So far, I'm quite fond of the blend. It strikes me as an autumn scent, for some reason.

On skin, dry: Still the cinnamon and clove. The Dragon's Blood's mellowed out, with no hint of the black pepper (if I ever noticed it at all, that is). It's turned very warm, in a good way.

Conclusion: My only problem with this is that it's such a sweet cinnamon-clove; it's like Red Hots!

Edited by Aredhel

I added this to my imp order on a whim.

In the bottle Pepper. Spice. Tangy. Cannot wait for this.

Fresh on Wow. This smells like Cinnaburst gum tastes and smells. Which is a good thing. (also a funny thing, since due to a series of events, Cinnaburt gum became known amongst my friends as Anger Gum, and so it fits)

Drying Much less cinnamon. More clove, maybe? and pepper. Definitely pepper. Loving it.

Dried Dries to something warm, something that surrounds me with spice and sex. Lasts a long time.

Definitely getting a bottle.

Damnit, i love this and yet can't wear it. It is final proof that my chemistry turns Dragon's Blood into a weird plastic funk smell. This is gorgeous (I can still sniff around the plastic). It is the only scent with cloves that I have felt was wearable as my skin normally amps up the clove. It is wonderfully spice, slightly sweet, without being overbearing. So nicely blended. You can't tell it's black pepper, you just get this great "punch" to the spice.

Lovely and Hot!