Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
wickedgoddess

Harvest Moon 2005

... The autumnal scents of gladiola, chrysanthemum, aster, dahlia, anemone, bergamot, marigold, sage and verbena dust a blend of wine-soaked apples, plums, and red pears, mulling spices and brown sugar, the ivy leaves of Dionysus and Janus’ amaranth and lingum aloe.

Apples, pears, and dried leaves. I do get the apple cidar note. Thankfully, the apple doesn't over power like with the hesperides. This is pretty Edited by Shollin

Hubby got this as a gimp from a forumite.

At first, this was very "hot apple cider" in the imp.

On: Spicey, tart, apple cider. Very comforting. I get a small whiff of autumn leaves and a bit of the pear.

Dry: Florals come out here, the apple-fruity-scent goes poof. This was a morpher on me. Although the fruits lend some sweetness, I get a very full-bodied, robust, spicey floral from this one.

OVerall: Not me, as I don't really love the florals too much. I would highly recommend it to someone who was looking for a very complex fruit/floral blend, however.

The 05 version of this was much fruitier and a little less foody. The flowers are still there but they’re on a sidetable of ripe, gorgeous autumn fruits. I love both last years and this years version and am keeping both.

This is very, very nice.

Like walking in an apple orchard in the fall ~

In the Imp ~ Apples and sugar... which sounds foody ~ but this does not strike me as foody in the bottle as much as (clean) earthy.

Wet ~ Cinnamon applesauce and a berry-ish scent.

On the drydown I get powdery soft apples with burnt brown sugar coating. Perfectly carmelised apples with a hint of floral (the dahlia?) peeking through.

Lovely, gorgeous depiction of the best parts of Fall... my favourite season in the year.

:P

First sniff: Fresh fruit soaked in spiced wine. It’s much, much fruitier than the 2004 version, but still so completely autumn. I joked a few days ago about capturing the ideal scent of the Yakima Valley… and I think this is it. Apple orchards and vineyards and wine and here and there an unexpected plum or pear tree.

Wearing: It’s a spicier scent on my skin, but still mouthwateringly fruity.

HM 05 is one of the only lunacy blends that I have purchased (and I have lots of them) that really did nothing for me. It smells like cheap potpourri in the bottle and once applied to my skin, it gives me a headache. As a room scent it is not so bad, but it also not nice. I don't know what it is about that is so offputting, but it is definitely not my thing.

The first time I wore this, it turned to straight up baby powder on me, which made me really sad. I'd really wanted to like this one. However, every time I tried this afterwards, I've gotten the reaction below. Weird.

In the bottle, this smells like apples and spices.

Wet, this is pure apple on me - I can't smell anything else. And it's a fakey apple, like apple syrup.

Once it drys, though, it smells like hard apple cider with all the spices, but with a faint touch of floral that keeps it from being too foody. This is the only scent that actually makes me want to bite/lick my wrists.

It has decent throw, and lasts a long time. Yay!

Overall, a terrific blend, and my favorite moon, which, considering how awesome the moons are, says a lot. :P

Edited by Kiena

In the bottle, this smells uber-winey with an apple undertone. On my skin it's wine-soaked apples with a hint of sugar and spice, and it morphs fairly quickly into brown sugar with a hint of apple. These are definitely red apples too- I love apple but cannot stand the golden apple in The Hesperides, so this was a relief. Lovely and very much fall- I got this in November and it made me really miss New England falls now that I'm back in Texas.

This one is surprising. I expected my skin to ramp up the fruits like it usually does, but instead I get this bland, slightly smoky, foody scent that is quite unpleasant. *wrinkles nose* Not a fan of this one. I was hoping for something Autumnal and fruity, and I've got something stale-foody and ick. Bleck!

In the vial: Fruity, like apples and possibly a hint of red wine. There's also something like a sweet wood in there.

Wet: The scent sharpens up and picks up a floral I don't recognize immediately. It's vaguely medicinal, really, like a menthol rub.

Dry: And then, several hours later, it fades into a soft flowers-and-spice close to skin scent. It's not bad, but it's not a particular standout from other scents. It's pretty enough and not objectionable, but not something I need to hunt like mad.

This is one of the blends I have no flipping clue what I'm smelling. With a huge stretch of the imagination I can almost get apples. I do get a hint of spice. Whatever else there is is a gorgeous amalgamation of yum. One that everthing is balanced perfectly in. Light, yet has a good throw. Lasts well. I don't really get anything um, very autumny out of it. Nor do the lunar oils go nutso like they sometimes do on me. Just a really nice fragrance.

I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5.

It took me a couple wears, but I've finally wrapped my mind around this scent (if that makes sense), and I've decided I like it. :P

At first, buttery apples (but not that gaggy, over-the-top butter scent that's in Jack). As it wears, the spices and sugar come out more, making this the tiniest bit incensey and sweet. (Yum!) I can also smell the pears and ivy, and just a smidge of the bergamot. It's very well-blended, though, and has a definite "autumn" feel without smelling like anything specific. In other words, none of the notes are overpowering.

In the bottle: apples and winde with a hint of mulling spices.

Wet: apples and spiced wine, and something slightly plastic? Uh oh, please don't go plastic scented doll on me! :D Maybe that is the smoke scent?

Dry down: apples and spiced wine, smoke, no plastic doll! YAY! :D

30 minutes: spicey apple wine. This is very similar to Samhain '05 on me, which I love. This is a lighter more "feminine" version of Sam. Maybe the Lunar oils, or the ivy or pear softens and sweetens this more. It is less tobacco shop smell. I like this very much.

Conclusion: Thanks to Kourika for trading with me for this one. I love it.

Rating on my skin this is a 5.

ETA: Due to the oil aging, has only improved it. I am in love! Changing this to a 5 out of 5. I wish I had another bottle. If Beth brings this back this year, I am so buying more. :P

Edited by atropos

Harvest Moon

At first I think I detect cocoa. It's a sweet, pleasant scent of citrus and fruit with a hint of coniferous woods. It dries to a little faint spicy/warm/sweet scent with a hint of plastic fruits but full and not "flat" as the plastic fruit scents often seem to me.

In the bottle: So many things! I think I get wine and spices, and possibly plum, along with all kids of flowers that I can't pick out. There's a buttery note in there, too.

Wet: Definitely a buttery note, flowers and herbs, and a hint of spice.

Drydown: It turns into a rather fresh scent, quite possibly ivy over mulling spices, and probably some more of those flowers. It's a pity I can't pick out any single one, but it's rich and warm. I think the wine comes out again, and everything blends perfectly, with a gentle apple scent coming into the mix.

Overall: This reminds me a bit of a spicy, happier version of "The Black Tower", without the leather and the ozone. I can smell the ivy and wine components very well, but also some of the fruits, probably the plum. There's spice here, and quite a lot of sweetness. Despite all the flowers mentioned, I smell mostly wine and fruit. Very well blended and very yummy, intoxicating, even.

In the imp: florals and cider and and plums. yummy.

On me, wet: hmm, still lovely plummy and warm and now there's a sharp scent too - hmm, bergamot? and then suddenly the yumminess vanishes and I am left with sweet baby powder.

On me, dry: sugary floral baby powder. Occasionally I get whiffs of sugary dry plums but they're very faint. All that juiciness and the cider has disappeared.

Verdict: Wah. This was lovely in the imp, it really was - not too far off the smell of Fruit Moon. Oh well, swap time.

bottle:

apples and hint of pumpkin, light combo of fruit/spice

wet:

fresh apples and apple pie

dry:

mild spices, I actually wish it stayed like it was wet!

overall:

all right but I'm not thrilled. Good thing I guess since it's no longer available!

rating: 6/10

Edited by HennaFairy

Spice and floral and fruits...

Wow, this scent is something that you have to inhale, and think long and hard, and eventually you get what this is combo of.

It smells a bit like mulled apple cider, but it also smells like the flowers that fill the air during fall..

This is very pretty, but I don't think I would want it in a large bottle.

It has next to nothing in the way of throw or staying power on my skin...and I don't LOVE it.

3/5

I am in love. This is my perfect apple-autumn scent. Yes, it does smell a bit like apple cider, and I'm fine with that! I love the apples and the wine and the spices and the hint of fall flowers and fall leaves that all make an appearance on my skin. It reminds me a bit of Tintagel, which I love, but it barely lasts on me. Harvest Moon lasts much longer. I'm so very glad I finally got a bottle of this, and I hope to be able to find more.

In the bottle: Really...perfume-y...Probably all the plant scents. But I smell apples in there. I do smell the apple above everything else. Kinda confusing.

Wet: Ugh. Makes me sick. Too many smells but the mulling spices and brown sugar is hitting me. Not happy. Not happy at all. Oh well...Can't win 'em all...I have to wash this off now.

Yay! I finally got to try this and I love it!

It is very warm and tasty. I get the brown sugar and the fruit and mulling spices with something softer mixed in. The softness is probably the florals. My friend smelled it on me and said I smelled like a holiday. When I told her what it was called she said, "ahhhhh."

I wish it stayed as stong on my skin as it does in the beginning. It fades a lot. This is one of my new favorites.

I got Harvest Moon 2004 and I was really excited about Harvest Moon 2005, because of added components of apples, pears, and sugar. I actually think I might like Harvest Moon 2004 more, since it seems richer and isn't such a fruity scent. While Harvest Moon 2004 was more about the autumnal leaves, Harvest Moon 2005 seems to be more about the feasting that goes with the harvesting. The wine-soaked apples and pears cast a subtle edge along the florals, with the aloe making this scent a bit cool.

My second BPAL fragrance, and it does not disappoint! I know, I know, summer hasn't even made it's full way into the year yet and I am buying and wearing autumn scents... I can't help it! I'm such a halloween/autumn lover it's ridiculous.

I purchased this with Devil's Night (which I love immensely) and Harvest Moon 2005 seems to be the herablly, grown up side of autumn. This smells exactly like what my house used to smell like around Halloween- yes, we were the crazy people in the neighborhood who decorated the inside, outside, and between of our house; coming up with different themes every year. Mom had to get the "mood" down, so she always had a variety of candles burning at the same time; this is what Harvest Moon 2005 is to me.

I get the herbs more than the wine soaked apples, but the apples and brown sugar give it a sweet scent (just not too sweet :P)

Harvest Moon ‘05 is a warm and cozy blend. I don't smell any of the florals in this blend. Rather it's all baked apples and baked pears served with wine mulled slowly for hours at a low, low temperature with cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. This scent is very appealing, and when I wear it, all day long I catch whiffs of something really warm and comforting. Simultaneously, the scent reminds me of potpourri. Normally that would be a bad thing, but in this case, it oddly works. If you've ever walked into a Christmas store and been greeted by the potpourri scent of Christmas spices and warm baked fruits, and it makes you smile and feel "at home," that's how Harvest Moon smells to me. I would have never thought this scent would appeal to me so much with the imagery it evokes of froofy Thomas Kinkaide paintings and whimsical doodad gift stores, but strangely enough, I find the scent warm and appealing, despite the cheezy "country souvenir store" aroma it carries. On my skin, it lasts about an hour before needing to be touched up. However, in a scent locket, it lasts all day long and into the next before it needs to be re-scented.

I wore Harvest Moon a lot last fall: the floral and spice worked with the apples well enough to make this a perfume as opposed to a room scent. The scent is layered: the apple/floral has most of the throw with powdery spice close to the skin. This is one of my lunar faves.