Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
wickedgoddess

Harvest Moon 2005

...The autumnal scents of gladiola, chrysanthemum, aster, dahlia, anemone, bergamot, marigold, sage and verbena dust a blend of wine-soaked apples, plums, and red pears, mulling spices and brown sugar, the ivy leaves of Dionysus and Janus’ amaranth and lingum aloe.

I got an imp of this and my first thought was, this smells familiar. The more I thought about it, the more I thought about Queen of Spades. I think they've similar, and both very good. Harvest Moon on me is fruit and spice and everything nice! Gorgeous, I wish I had bought a bottle of it!!!!

Harvest is my birth moon and last year's didn't work so well on me (I blame the pumpkin), so I was excited to get the 2005 version.

On me, it starts out as fresh tart apple, then the spices and other notes come out and it morphs into something a little like Mabon with apples instead of blackberries... the ivy and flowers back up the apple. It's a cheery, autumn afternoon sort of smell that makes me think of Wisconsin apple orchards I used to go to with my family as a kid: the trees, apples, fallen leaves, cool air, afternoon sun, and the hot cider they would serve.

I like this a lot, but Mabon is still my ultimate autumn/harvest scent.

Edited by isyche

This really is a beautiful scent, and quite true to the description. I get lots of wine and fruit, along with a hint of spice.

However, I cannot get over the fact that this smells like an autumnal candle to me. It is a bit too perfumey for my taste, and it makes me think of Yankee Candle stores, which I really don't like. I am not a big house-scenter person, and this is justnot something I want to wear on my person.

So, this is a wonderful feat, as far as capturing an autumn harvest in a bottle, but it just isn't for me!

'Fraid I might swap this one.

I didn't try last year's Harvest Moon, but this one sure is purdy! It's spiced apples galore, with an undertone of autumn potpourri. Delicious, harvesty, orange and halloweeny. Cinnamon, spice, and everything nice! Love it, knew I would, and the boy loves it too. Good thing I ordered 2 bottles, I think this will definitely be my new Fall scent. Bravo!

harvestmoon05.jpg

I love this one! It reminds me of one of my all time favorite moons, Pink Moon revved up for cooler weather. It's got that foody "pink" trill but deepened up to a brighter and slightly more intense lower keyed tone. I just know Harvest Moon '05 is going to age to beyond beauty. I think I detect a sort of wheaty smell playing in the background which Pink Moon didn't have, a touch of brown sugar instead of pink cotton candy, and it is not a frivolous scent but it's certainly isn't a po-faced smell either. I think of it as Pink Moon after it learned a thing or two.

This one is just gorgeous. I am so eternally grateful to the Lab for Harvest Moon '05 and will treasure my bottles while considering myself a fortunate woman to own them and love them.

Edited by olympia301

In the bottle:

Crisp greenery and apples

On me:

I only purchased this because it was always being mentioned by people and I never had the chance to try it - and with a name like Harvest Moon, how could I resist? After reading the description, I was quite afraid this was going to be really floral. But I needn't have feared anything. This is crisp and earthy in that you can smell a lot of green things. The apple is very tart and lends a cool edge to this scent and the spices are quite subtle.

Final note:

I like this - it's refreshing and autumnal and lovely.

Edited by Brianne

This is absolutely gorgeous. I think this might be one of my favorite lunacies. I can smell the spice, the apples and the light florals. Great autumn scent, even though in Florida there is not such thing. I hope I can find another bottle one of these days.

Harvest Moon is really quite lovely! It's one of Beth's "morphing" blends, so don't expect a linear development with this one.

The very first thing I smell are the apples, spicy, "warm" apple smell. Reminds me a lot of the apple dumplings my Mom & I used to make.

Once Harvest Moon dries, it goes through a floral/herb stage. The gladiolus & mums remind me of football games and Homecoming. A wee bit of marigold slips through but then this is the time of year when I collect all of those dried marigold seed pods to have loads of bright flowers next year. Makes sense.

The deep drydown is the very best, nose glued to my wrist stage: mulled wine, pears & plums with just a hint of caramel. (That must be the brown sugar.)

This is a wonderfully wearable autumn scent. I'm very glad Harvest Moon 2005 is mine and I'll enjoy wearing it.

Not quite sure about this one yet. On the one hand, I love it. It's got a bit of dry, woodsy spice, a sprinkle of smooth brown sugar, and a fizzy apple cider topnote. On the other hand, that topnote makes this scent almost a dead ringer for Mabon on me, only a bit less fruity and more woody/sweet.

I don't know if I can justify having two such similar scents, but I can't imagine swapping the Mabon I was so happy to get (thanks again to ivyandpeony!), so it will take some more wearing to see if I can convince the wood and sugar to come out and play a little more. :P

Harvest Moon 05

In the imp: oh my goodness. This smells a bit like Mabon!!! It has that same apple vibe to it, and I think this one has wine and spice too. So much better than the smell of last year's (which smelt like, believe it or not…cheese!)

Wet on skin: wow, now I get mulled wine, spiced apple, pears in wine, ripe plums…amazing!

Dry on skin: now I get a twinge of that odd 'grainy/bready' smell I got in the 04 version, but this isn't too bad-the fruits and spices and wine make this so nice. I have no idea what gladiola, chrysanthemum, aster, dahlia, anemone, marigold, amaranth and lingum aloe smell like so I'm assuming that's that mysterious scent I get with this-either that or the lunar oils. I also get the greenness of ivy-together with apple, it reminds me of Mabon. This is a very interesting and complex blend which evokes early autumn days.

After a while: the odd scent retreats after 15 minutes, and the fruits return, fuller and juicier than ever! Ripe plums! Crisp apples! Pears in wine! All sprinkled with sugar and spice. This now reminds me of delicious desserts that my mum makes: apple crumble and pears in wine. This smells yummy!

And then after an hour it becomes less dessert like, but still beautifully harvest like…now I smell golden grain, the greenery of ivy and sage, and autumn fruits with red wine.

Verdict: this is much, much better than 04's Harvest Moon. Whilst still retaining it's grain, wine and ivy scent from last year, one is sweet, fruity, juicy and slightly spicy as well. it reminds me of delicious autumnal desserts and the balmy days of September in the English countryside…and it seems very much the lovechild of last year's Harvest Moon and Mabon. This is a gorgeous, evocative scent, complex and multifaceted. Fantastic work Beth!

I passed on a bottle when this came out because I didn't know how the sugar and mulling spices would play on me -- I absolutely hate smelling like baked goods and I didn't want to take a chance.

But thanks to a kind decanter I am able to try this and I really quite like it!

The order that the notes are listed is pretty much how they appear on me. At first sniff it was very faint and perfumey, with the florals taking center stage. I wasn't too crazy about that stage because perfumey florals don't do much for me. I also like oils with a lot of throw and strength to them and I could barely smell this at all.

I dabbed a little more on my wrist and let it sit for awhile and then it really started to develop. The crisp, cool fruits are exactly the way that I like them: they don't smell like pie, they smell fresh. The mulling spices are not heavy and boozy, but remind me of going into a little country craft store hung with herbs and spices with candles burning. Not the artificial "potpourri" smell, but a very genuine, natural one. Not the scent of something cooking, but the scent of rows and jars of spices and herbs that have been drying and warming in the early autumn sun.

It's a little bit winey, but not boozy. It's a little bit sweet but not sugary. It does remind me of Mabon but without that powdery apple blossom scent that positively does not agree with me at all. Yes, this is the only scent with both apples and spice in it that I think has ever worked for me. And since I don't think I'd wear it except on the most perfect and crisp autumn days, my imp should be enough for me for this year. A great one to wear when you are pumpkin shopping!

When I first put this on it smells like real fresh apple cider--I can almost taste the cider the scent is so true. As it dries the spices come out; it's mostly cinnamon, but there are some others I can't identify as well. Dry, the cider smell is gone and it's all spices.

It doesn't last long at all, though. :D I had to re-apply 3 times during an 8 hour period, so my 5 ml won't last long. It's worth it though. This is a perfect fall scent for me. :P

I think I'm going to have to revisit this review eventually, because the first time I tried this on I got a strong and lovely spice note...which seems to have become much less distinct upon my second application. So I'll have to re-try this a third time to be sure.

As of right now, this is only suggestive of that apple cider note that others have commented on. It's there, but playing in the background. Right up front I get dry, soft florals and that particular kind of spiciness I get from certain kinds of incense.

This smells a bit like being in a field at dusk, in early fall when the grass is starting to crackle - but this is a field of flowers, a little sun-browned. I have just drunk my grandmother's apple cider, and the taste is still teasing my nose, and playing with the rich and almost musky scent of those flowers.

It's a sexy yet homey scent, that thrum of things on the cusp, of fertility just cresting, of satiation and comfort.

I got this from the generous Gin, thank you! I missed out on my birth moon and was really sad. I am very happy that I posted my desire to have this. In the bottle, I smell fruit, dark fruits, like they have been soaking in wine. On, wet it is spicy and still very sweet. This drys to a nice spice fruit and musk that i adore.

A keeper!

In the bottle - Sweet caramelised apples :P .

Wet on me - Almost entirely chrysanthemum with just that little bit of sweetness in the background.

Dry on me - It became more and more floral, but always kept some residual sweetness. It's very nice, but my favourite stage is the apples in the bottle.

I don't know what it is, but for some reason I don't really like this scent. There's a lot of notes that I do like, but somehow together they turn me off a bit. I get mostly an appley, buttery foody scent with a hint of alcoholic sweetness.

Wet this is spicey apples, cranberries and maybe currants with a hint of floral notes. When first on it’s light and spicey fruits. It feels like a deep red color and I think there is plum in here too. After a couple of minutes it is very spicey like Yankee Candle potpourri- very sweet. After 30 minutes the sweetness fades and it becomes a dusty floral. This fades after about three hours. This one was too spicey and sweet for me and I ended up selling it.

I got this secondhand and fell instantly, madly in love. Berries and sweetness and spicy autumn nights, plus that indefinable lunar undertone--mmm! It rocks the socks off of Blood Moon. I'll be hoarding this bottle all winter. :)

This is incredibly autumnal, with an initial bloom of spicy apple cider, and behind it, a brisk breeze of dried leaves and wine. It's sweet and crisp. I barely get any floral notes from this, though, it's all fruit, but not foody. Does that make sense?

I love this scent. It's sweet, but rich and spicy. Gorgeous. This is what I wanted Samhain to be.

Somewhere in the middle of Samhain, M deMerteuil, and Mabon, my decanted imp of Harvest Moon is sitting, grinning like a fox. It's got the sharp floral smell that I get from M deM--that is, to say, it's got the same flower in it; the apples are much closer to Mabon's apples, which are very full and earthy-sweet, like apples that have recently fallen from the tree; HM05 and Samhain share what I'd say was the "autumn air" smell, and the slightly musty (which ought not be confused with "musky," which I love) sweet sick smell of slightly turned plants.

Despite reminding me of two of my very favorite oils, I have to say that the Samhain part is a bit too much for me. I just really don't like Samhain, and I suppose it's affecting my opinion of this one. I don't dislike it enough to sell/swap, but I won't be hunting it down, I think.

Somewhere in the middle of Samhain, M deMerteuil, and Mabon, my decanted imp of Harvest Moon is sitting, grinning like a fox. It's got the sharp floral smell that I get from M deM--that is, to say, it's got the same flower in it; the apples are much closer to Mabon's apples, which are very full and earthy-sweet, like apples that have recently fallen from the tree; HM05 and Samhain share what I'd say was the "autumn air" smell, and the slightly musty (which ought not be confused with "musky," which I love) sweet sick smell of slightly turned plants.

Despite reminding me of two of my very favorite oils, I have to say that the Samhain part is a bit too much for me. I just really don't like Samhain, and I suppose it's affecting my opinion of this one. I don't dislike it enough to sell/swap, but I won't be hunting it down, I think.

Harvest Moon '05

Smells sort of like what I was hoping Samhain would smell like (damn you, patchouli!).

Home-made apple pie filling, desert wine, and autumnal potpourri

Baked apples (definitely NOT The Hesperides freshly picked-apple scent)

heavy on the mulling spices (dusty cinnamon, allspice, and cloves).

It's not too sweet, and somehow not too foody. I imagine the florals are keeping the foodie elements in check?

I admit, it smells a bit like a Yankee Candle store around Thanksgiving. But I like that smell. :P

(Thankfully, though many reviewers smell a similarity, this does not share whatever sour note is in Mabon that made me think of moist cat litter).

Edited by erikasilverstein

Sorry that this one is so short, but the effect I get when it's dry is simple: autumn leaves, chill air, warm spiced apples. It's beautiful!

I gave this a 4 out of 5 stars. :P

I think the fact that I can't really pick out any individual scent notes in this is a testament to how well it all blends.

Wet and Dry: Drinking apple cider on a slighty chilly Autumn day in Napa Valley. That is what this scent is. I hope the people who live in California's "Wine Country" don't mind us jacking the deliciousness that is the very air and fragrance of the grapes they take for granted. This is like pies cooling in windows and children playing ring around the rosy with smudgey faces, leaves blowing across green perfectly manicured lawns from deep valleys and wide fields of grapes.

Verdit: Must have... big bottle... frimp won't last. Very nostalgic and soothing scent.

Edited by BlueStar

I was excited to try this because it is one of my birthday moons (the other is Hunter, since I was born almost in between the moons)

it smells like Jack! but with florals and spices and leaves. a very green jack. like as if Jack was a young green pumpkin.

but it may be a bit too green and sharp. it is very unique. definitely the scents of early autumn.

I might have to try this out again.

i had visions of grandeur for this version as 2004 was most definitely not for me....

wet in the bottle it is an apple/cinnamon/berry/pumpkiny treat......upon application

the scent morphs into an apple muffin....or something.... :D

a doughy component pops up....and then a slight floral note.....

it seems to last forever on.....

unfortunately for me, this is not something that works...... :P