Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Uncontrollable passion and insatiable sexual desire: red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

In the imp:
Musk, along with something else sweet.

In the imp:
More musk. It smells yummy, but where the heck is the patchouli? I don't know what ylang-ylang smells like. My skin tends to make a lot of things convert into a soft musklike smell after a while anyway, so I am guessing it probably also amps actual musk. We shall see what happens on the drydown. As it dries down, it definitely goes a bit more floral (is that what ylang-ylang smells like?), but only slightly. Oh okay, and I think I smell the patchouli a bit now as well. Oh okay, and here is the myrrh now, too.

Dry:
This scent is sweet and spicy and incredibly well-blended. It's way too early in the morning for me to tell if it's going to be an arousing one for me, but I would definitely wear it. I am starting to think that almost every BPAL works with my skin chemistry. Oh, my poor wallet!

For me this smells close to a few other bpal scents, mostly from the red musk I think. However, this has a big flourish of ylang ylang at the beginning. After that backs off, the red musk glows, with a bit of dirty gritty feel, probably emphasized by the patchouli. A few people mentioned incense and I agree this has that feel, probably helped along by the myrrh.

Smells really good, and I like wearing this. I may want a bottle of either Lust or Sin, and I can't decide which one or both. They have big differences but they are similar in some ways. I like them both a whole lot. I think red musk works best on me, out of red, white, and black (although I do wear white and black musks too, in some scents). I agree, red musk does smell lusty (I think it was filigree_shadow who said it upthread). And of course I love patchouli so this one was pretty much a no-brainer.

Edit to add....shortly after I wrote this, I started to think Lust might have a drop of civet. Kind of getting that 'dirty' vibe from it. I still like it.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

In the bottle – Red musk and myrrh, dark and brooding

Wet on me – Dry and woody (I would have said cedar if I couldn’t see the notes) with a layer of red musk sitting on top of it

Dry on me – The red musk is predominant with a dirty edge of myrrh which finally softens and sweetens

Overall – Whilst I liked this far more than I expected I don’t see it becoming a favourite

Thick and perfumey. way to feminine for me and its far to heavy for my wife to even try. was probably doomed from the start as I don't think either of us can stand patchulli

Edited by jsn

in the vial: incense and powder

on me: fruit/clay/resin/incense

later: sweat, bitter incense, fruit

verdict: Meh.

Starts cherry almond. Gets a little bit dusty. It’s soft and pretty, but doesn’t seem lusty to me.

Oh wow. This is absolutely filthy in a good way. Myrrh really kicks in on me, so that's mostly what I'm getting, with the red musk complementing it wonderfully. And the patchouli's not overwhelming, thankfully. This smells really down and dirty! It's also really dark, literally--don't wear this with light-colored clothing! It even stained my skin a bit, and I'm not *that* pale!

Initial impression:

Strong patchouli! I love it, naturally.

First on:

Wow, this stains my skin! Yummy scent though – patchouli softened by ylang ylang.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, the staining is gone, and the scent is very feminine and sexual – patchouli girlified by the softness of the ylang ylang and the hint of myrrh. I can't specifically pick out any musk.

20-30 mins after application, it has softened a lot, but it's still warm, sexy and feminine in a very... raw way. Rawr!

Finally:

A keeper, at least for the moment. :P Yay for patchouli!

Lust is very heavy on the patchouli at the beginning, but dries down into a beautiful scent that mingles well with the red musk and ylang ylang on my skin. Its almost as if there are spices in here also but that could be the myrrh combining with the patchouli. After the initial drydown, it is light and subtle and it stays with me a long time. My husband came in while I was writing the review and I had him smell it and he really liked it. I guess a 5ml bottle is in the future for me!

In the vial - warm and kind of tangy - patchouli and myrrh I think

Wet - Myrrh - but I feel a patchouli-fest coming on

Dry - Musk is hitting strong, though the patchouli is battling it out for top note

Later - Myrrh started to really show. So much so that the hubby walked in the door and wondered what stank. Then told me not to take it personally. So I'd say it's safe to say that it's going to go away...

Preconception: all notes that are pretty much guaranteed to work on me, this oughta be good.

On wet, patchouli, patchouli, patchouli. I like patchouli, luckily; but with the combination of the other notes, this winds up being just generic headshop.

Dry, it's red musk and myrrh, exclusively. Pleasant, if nothing really distinctive. But while everything works well enough, it has way too much throw for my taste, so this will probably wind up a swap.

Wow. My nose is really wonky. I take one sniff « mmm, cinnamon ! » Perhaps it is because I love cinnamon so much. To me, this smells like those Red hot candies, or my spicy Cardamum Cinnamon tea from the Republic of Tea. Good for autumn.

ETA: 2 years later, still great. Really smells cinnamon + red musk to me though.

Great warm red scent, makes me think that everyone must be crazy in lust with me, and not really safe/appropriate for work.

Edited by Megank4

This is SOOO GOOD!!!...and all I have is an empty sniffy I got! :D This one is so sexy: hot and spicy and feminine and rich. The patchouli provides a nice foundation for the hot red musk, soothing and feminine ylang ylang, and resiny myrrh. I must have more of this...NOW! Such a sensual, divine blend! A+ :P

Got this imp through the Civet Evangelism Sniffing Circle, and I admit, that's the only reason that I'm trying it. Two of the four listed notes work on me though, so we'll see.

in imp: um. okay, my first impression is "ew". Let's sniff that again. There's something spicy & warm & sweet underneath that 'ew'ness of ylang ylang and red musk. Okay, here goes.

on wet: 10:30 - not quite so much ick, but it's still there, all bitter and sharp. I do get a nice background of patchouli and myrrh, but just barely.

drydown: 10:50 - ah, ylang ylang has done what is always does and turned into baby wipes on my skin, drowning almost everything else out. There's a bare hint of red musk, but that's not a good thing. This is definitely not a scent for me.

11:11 - nope, all ylang ylang and red musk all the time, barely any hint of anything else. Bitterness and babywipes. Ah well, this works on folks other than me.

Edited by Sealgair

In the Imp (wet): This is the darkest oil I have ever seen. Extremely womanly, in a dark mysterious mature fashion.

On facial cotton (dry): This one is definitely full of surprises. I had been expecting warmer darker notes from the myrrh and patchouli, but it appears the ylang ylang is initially the most predominant.

On me: Surprisingly alright, but seems powdery on me. The scent does mellow quite quickly, but I do like the musk note in this one.

Its sweet, sexy and spicy and just mmmm...

Really, utterly in love with it.

From the bottle straight away I knew i was going to love this, and on the dry down I was not disappointed. It turned woody and spicy and sweet over time, with a kind of caramel undertone, so kind of creamy spiciness. I'm very much in love with it.

Red musk is my downfall.

I am always torn between my desire to try whatever imps come my way, and my abhorrence of red musk. Trying always wins, because I'm always hopeful a scent will work. It hasn't yet.

In the bottle: Incense with a hint of citrus? (Husband thought it smelled like mold)

On me: Pleasantly dusty, subtle incense. Not unlike the cozily cluttered pagan shop I visit. And perhaps...bubble bath.

I like this one a lot. I can see how this would attract a paramour!

:P <-- emoticon says it all

Not since Crossroads and Santa Muerte has a scent hated me this much. I don't know what it is. I love red musk; I have no strong objections to myrrh or patchouli; ylang ylang by itself can't be responsible for so much evil, can it? And yet. This started out as an overwhelmingly strong combination of incense, socks, curry, and dirty dishes. It dried down to black mold and was as strong as it was wet. Thankfully, it seems to have been easier to wash off than the other two scents mentioned above were.

I wish I could figure out what it is about this scent that goes so badly with my nose and body chemistry!

First Impression: This one's pretty simple, but pretty deep at the same time. It is very enticing – appropriately named. I think I'm liking things with myrrh in them more than I’d expected to, and the patchouli. The red musk isn't as strong or offputting as I find musks can sometimes be, and I don't know ylang ylang enough really to know what that’s adding, but ultimately I like this scent. It’s even sort of comforting.

Impression after a few months: I swear I get laid practically every time I wear this one. So not even kidding. This scent was the direct cause of a barfight in Cambridge. I didn't initially think this one was going to be such an aphrodisiac, but apparently I underestimated its power. I've gotten superstitious about it, and will now only wear it when I'm prepared to accept the consequences. :P

this was the first of my imps I ever received. I am a brand new BPAL addict.

I immeadiately ordered a bottle after the 'reactions'.

1) Met my on-again-off-again boy at his door and was instantly neck-ravaged.

2) on-again-off-again boy was very agreeable and very attentive ALL NIGHT.

3) four complete strangers (men) followed me through a video store and engaged me in conversation about my selections and their suggestions. This insensed on-again-off-again boy very much *grins*

4) women have stopped me at parties and asked me what I am wearing 3 times (3 different occasions)!

Sorry this isnt a more descriptive 'smell' review. But sometimes I think other would like to know the reaction people have to your scent. This was lovely, sexy and fiery on me. Very spicy and warm and delicious.

Tried the frimp I have...I absolutely agree that it is seduction in a bottle and need to get a big one!

I am not a "spicey girl",prefer foodys and florals but this absolutely sent me reeling and my husband kept sniffing around,LOL!

Wow!

In the bottle: yummy! sexy!

Wet: luscious; spicy, exciting, lip-bitingly wonderful. Sex in a bottle.

Dry down: the ylang-ylang is more pronounced. Still *very* nice.

Mr. Pens says it smells "like an import store." Not exactly the reaction I was looking for. :P

I'll be getting a big bottle of this. I'm really liking this scent.

My second round of imps. I open the bottle and get a whiff of ylang ylang and some myrrh, thi smells sweet and fresh at the same time. Once applied it's smell remind me of my first whiff of saturnalia, that greeny smell of peas fresh from their pod. Now that it's drying it's turning back to the first whiff - sweet/fresh. As it dries further it is turning into a more sexy scent. I have a product with a mix of ylang ylang and patchouli which I adore it's fresh sexy, but LUST is mixed with my beloved myrrh (which always turns to pure sex on me!) This is a fab scent and I can't wait to entrap my OH with it :P

Well, this is my first time reviewing a Bpal scent, so I'm not gonna try and pick out notes because I couldn't possibly pin them down!

That said, I completely adore this scent. In the bottle it was waaaayy to overpowering for me, but within 5 minutes of putting it on, it calmed into a delicious, soft, sweet, but yet tangy scent. It almost reminds me of marshmellow fluff... something about it's soft, smoothy sweet but light.