Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Catalog says: Uncontrollable passion and insatiable sexual desire: red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

I get all the notes equally here, and the overall impression is musky ylang ylang. This is definitely a dark scent that I could see being called "Sex in a Room." Nice.

Edited by supremegoddessofall

In vial: patchouli and musk.

wet on skin: warm, lovely musk and patchouli with a bit of ylang ylang. It's sexy and slinky.

drydown, after 10 minutes: Pure musk & patchouli, maybe a touch too much patchouli for me. The florals soften it a bit, but it's still a bit unbalanced.

An hour later: Still a bit too much patchouli. There's a tart edge coming out too, almost citrus like, but not quite. This is nice, but too heavy on the patchouli for me. Think I'll hang onto the imp for layering.

Note: Early in the cycle. Imp fresh from the Lab.

In the bottle: This smells rather perfumey to me. And red. Like Red Door? Or is that just a totally dissociated old scent memory? (Was there red musk in the perfume I used to wear?)

On me: The "perfuminess" is starting to mellow. I'm not sure what it is I don't like. Is it the patchouli? Is it the ylang ylang? I'm not sure I've ever smelled red musk or myrrh.

1 hour+ later: This has mellowed down to a light incensy scent, like old books in a sacred library, or the library at Hogwarts, yes, I think this is a Hermione Granger scent -- at least on me. It isn't the lust I was looking for, though. :P *tear*

More berries and musk, whoohaa! I loves me them notes. Let's just hope the patchouli doesn't go dirty hippie on me.

In the vial - This musk is so familiar... There's blackberries here, patchouli and that musk that I can't quite put my finger on.

Wet - The musk reminds me of the one in Satyr. Only, with the berries, not quite so ferrit like. Hrm.

Drying - Now I'm getting a woodiness coming out and the berries are VERY faint. It's earthy, extremely earthy. I still can't place my finger on the musk. I almost want to say that it's giving me that all-knowing Coke scent, but I think that's my mind playing tricks. The throw on this is LARGE and much nicer than up close. Sweeter, less animal-like.

Dry (1 hour) - Eh. Patchouli and musk and boring and very strong.

Overall - It was interesting, but not my thing in the least. I like my musks lighter and my patchouli just a smidge, just a breath, just a thought.

weeeiiiiird.

I got a frimp of this and upon initial sniffing went' UGGGGH!'

So...

Wet: ew. I don't like this.......but let's try it anyway.

on arm: Ylang Ylang. I hate Ylang Ylang.

Drying: Ylang Ywhat? it's going away and there's something deeper coming out. It's PATCHOULI?!? Which I always hated.....until....now.

Dry: Oh my word. My skin has somehow amped this fragrance until it's smelling like a strong, pretty incense on me. bizarre! My arm smells like a sexy confident woman about to take her man in any way she can. hmmmmmmm. i'm liking it.

after: it lasted a full 8 hours on me and kept gittin' better.

***Purchased full bottle!

Frimp :D

Only two notes stand out in this for me. Both in the imp, wet and dry:

Red musk and patchouli.

I don't get any ylang ylang, which is a shame as I love the lush tropical floral headiness of ylang ylang.

But I do like this fragrance nonetheless, and will definately enjoy my imp! It is a warm, close-to-the-skin kind of scent, that manages to throw and last quite well nonetheless. Good reaction from the opposite sex it seems too :P

Red musk is my favorite musk because it smells so... um, lusty. The patchouli makes it deep and rich, the ylang ylang gives it a sweetness, and myrrh makes the whole thing go Mmmmmm.

Already have a 5ml of this, and I love wearing it.

In the imp: A blast of patchouli followed by an equally strong dose of red musk.

Wet: Pretty much the same, although the red musk is a little more predominant.

Drydown: The ylang ylang emerges and sits on top of the darker notes, making it lighter and sweeter. In fact it seems to have almost completely smothered the red musk particularly. Now I like ylang ylang ok (although I haven't worn it before), but I much prefer the darkness. Interestingly the throw is nearly all red musk - I've noticed before that although I can sometimes barely smell red musk on my skin it is quite strong in the air around me.

As it dries the ylang ylang is getting stronger. I actually want the patchouli back. Yes folks, hell has indeed frozen over!

Dry: The ylang ylang settles down a little thankfully although it's still very noticeable, making the red musk and patchouli far lighter than they would otherwise be. After 2 hours it has faded considerably and after 3 hours it is all but gone.

I would have loved this completely without the ylang ylang and if it lasted longer. However I will still have fun with the imp while deciding if I want a bottle or not.

Delicious.

Thick, dark and syrupy this blend is gorgeous!!!!

Deep black hungry patchouli tempered by sensuous red musk and sweet orange blossoms (ylang ylang always goes orange blossoms on me, which I'm ok with).

This blend is far better aged, but still lovely in it's youth.

10/10

Like smut is sex in a bottle this is lust in a bottle. I am getting a lot of musk and only a little patchouli. It is a dark, sexy and hot scent. I like it quite a bit, I don’t think I would wear it to work, but would be great for a night out. Another one for my wish list.

Lust is warm, red and sensual. It's not straight-up sex on me, it's more like the seduction, as well. The inspiring of lust. It conjures the image of stockinged legs and stilletos, a corseted waist and red lipstick.

It's pretty dark, and very musky.

Lust was the first scent I tried when I got my order. Love it! In the imp it has a wonderful heady aroma. You can really smell the patchouli which I love. It presents itself well as it warms. It has a nice incense smell. As it dries, it mellows into a comforting stick of incense. I really like it and will prolly make it a staple.

Fresh off the wand, Lust tingles in my nose as a spicy scent. On my wrist, the spiciness fades immediately back to a low warmth. I definitely detect a floral in this, but I haven’t reviewed in a while and my nose is out of practice -- I can’t recognize it without checking the notes. That would be the ylang ylang... how appropriate.

To my surprise, the musk isn’t going all evil on me -- in fact, it’s downright subtle beneath the myrrh and the ylang ylang. The patchouli gives a solid base to the scent, but it doesn’t smell outright like dirt -- a nice change as well.

Given time to settle into my skin, this scent acquires a voluptuous, fruity aspect that is rather appealing (most likely the ylang ylang getting carried away). Regrettably, the fruit fades away after not too long, and the result is mostly myrrh and patchouli. I would like it better if not for the patchouli; I just don’t seem to be a big patchouli fan.

Much later, the ylang ylang ghosts out once more in a low red aura, and then it fades in and out for a while. When I can smell the ylang ylang, I like this scent, and when I can’t, I don’t, but it refuses to be consistent.

To address the name, since it is after all named Lust, I must note that it doesn’t smell like uncontrollable anything to me. I’ll grant that it’s sensual, and definitely a bit heady, and I wouldn’t wear it to work, but it’s more like lounging around getting drunk on red wine -- a controlled loss of control, as it were. But there are Lab scents I prefer in this vein, and I doubt I’ll revisit this one.

In imp: as sexual as Loviatar, but more feminine and sensual as opposed to in-your-face-and-on-your-knees.

Wet, on skin: this is taking off the spiked heels and rubbing ointment into the whip marks.

Drydown: it's bringing him close after punishing him, promising to be nicer next time though each of you knows she won't. it's the tender woman under the charade.

Dry: it's soft and feminine and - this sounds crazy - it's a hopeful Tart who dreams of romance under the smutty exterior. this is Penny Lane on quaaludes.

Edited by rien

Dark musk and....eh, I can't tell if it's the patchouli or myrrh, and since those two really don't smell much like each other I'm really confused. I think the myrrh is hiding its resiny backside behind the patchouli.

This is actually oddly masculine. Not a hint of sweetness, a little sharp especially if you bring the dabbed part right up to your face and huff on it. That's the ylang ylang, I think.

I'm not getting any Nawsty Sex Vibes from it at all, it's just a pleasant dark scent. Oh well!

Lobster Rating

better than: lipstick on yer teeth

Frimp! I initially gets lot of musk and a bit of patchouli. It's a bit masculine, but also sweet so there's a nice balance between the two. I didn't get any lustful feelings, but the oil certainly didn't damage my self esteem. I felt pretty good wearing this and I do like it, but that's as far as it goes methinks.

Strongly patchouli and myrrh at first; then the tasty ylang-ylang comes in, giving it a citrusy-fruity bite. Only later do I get that sexy, sexy musk floating up from the base, but this really is Lust at every stage. The ylang-ylang makes it sweet enough that it almost -- almost -- reminds me of my beloved dragon's blood early in the drydown. Oh, yes, yes, more, please.

My usually BPAL-disinterested boyfriend actually went, 'Ooh -- that one's niiiice,' when smelling this on my wrist, before I even told him what it was.

In the bottle: to me it smells like Snake Oil and dragon's blood, though there are none of those components listed. Go figure.

As it dried on me, the sandalwood became more predominant and it began to smell a little bit incense-y. It is *strong* too.

Perfect one for goth clubs. Or nights in. :P

In the imp: A very red combination of patchouli and musk. This reminds me of other scents like Loviatar and Fenris Wolf.

Wet: Patchouli and musk--very much like Fenris Wolf. I wish I could pick up on some of the ylang-ylang.

Drydown and wear: This actually reminds me of Urd on the dd, as something fruity emerges. I like red scents, but I have so many of them that I don't think I need another bottle.

Lust

In the imp:

I can smell the red musk and the myrrh first and foremost. It's dark and husky, and even though it doesn't seem to be "my" kind of oil, I still like it. I can also smell a tiny bit of the ylang ylang in the background.

On:

The musk is still present, but the myrrh fades when the patchouli comes out. The sweetness the ylang ylang provided has completely disappeared, leaving it ever-so sinfully smelling.

After 30 min:

The sweetness is back very slightly, giving it that balance between meaningless sex and passionate ravishing.

Overall:

A scent I would totally wear on a second or third date. I'm sure I would want to go out and find someone to jump if it weren't so miserably hot right now. Like I said, it's not "my" kind of perfume, but I'll definitely keep the imp for special occasions. :P

Season: Night. Any night.

Rating (out of 5): 3.5

In the vial:

sharp and earthy

On me:

Very deep patchouli with sharp ylang ylang and a little musk. I would have preferred if this had been a little more musky, as it is - it's a little too sharp for me to wear that often.

Final note:

Not a bad scent, it's nice enough for me to keep the imp, though it's not something I need a bottle of.

In the imp: murky, dirty, alluring, and sultry

wet on skin: dirty, spicey and sassy and alluring has turned into aggressive bekoning no murkiness. Cannot detect any of the notes and don't want to. Upon reading what they are, I can tell that there is musk, but I would have guessed something incensey, too.

drydown: sweet and sultry, a perfectly blended word.

Love it!

Once again, the Lab somehow knows what frimps to send me.

Wet, it's very...red-smelling, though not as much as Satyr. I'm mostly getting sweetness, ylang-ylang and the red musk, with patchouli in the background and the myrrh a deep rich base that mingles nicely with my skin. It's not got much throw, but I get a faint whiff as I move around. Very pleasant.

And as it dries...oh my. :P The myrrh continues to blend with my skin and makes a deliciously carnal scent. The red musk dies down into simple musk, and the patchouli and ylang-ylang merge into dusty-spicy-sweet. The best description is Snake Oil mixed with Iago. Altogether it's total allure. I smell like skin, and slow dances that are just this side of sex on the dance floor, and long wet kisses.

Two more comments. My fiance loved this and kept sniffing my hair and neck. And it really lasts--when I went to bed ten hours after applying it, there was still a hint of it on my wrists.

Want bottle NOW.

OMG, this is wonderful. The name is perfect - Beth really nailed this one. I knew I would love it, based on the ingredients, but I didn't know how much.

I used to love Opium, except it was SOOO strong, and this reminds me very much of Opium, without knocking out everyone in my general vicinity.

I can't stop burying my nose in my elbow. Maybe I should stop wearing this at work - my productivity is way down.