Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Uncontrollable passion and insatiable sexual desire: red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

Attack of the grape once again. Yuck. I can't wear grape scents. And this one smells too much like grape juice. Not gonna work.

I got enough of a whiff of some of the other notes (although I can't really indentify them) to tell that I probably could have liked this one if it weren't for the grape scent. Ah well. Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: Patchouli, red musk. Extremely dark, sexy, and shadowy.

On my skin: Patchouli all up in my face.

Later on: The patchouli calms down some, allowing this scent to turn into a luxurious, musky dream. Yum-may. I need more of this!

I don't remember if I reviewed this one already, but whatever.

I only swiped a small bit on the inside of each wrist and my neck, but WOW. This has throw! At least, it does when freshly applied. This isn't fruity or juicy on me at all. This is ALL patchouli & red musk on me when wet.

It's starting to dry now and it's getting.. less patchouli and more musk, which is nice. WOW. I just took a sniff and the musk totally beat the patchouli DOWN.

Shit, I smell sexy. I'm not sure how anyone else would describe this should they smell me, but I think I smell sexy. The myrrh is coming to play with the musk and wow.. This is just morphing all over me.

Yum. Once I get over the PATCHOULI A GO-GO when it's wet, this is.. raw & sexy. Guh.

EDIT: :P Turns out I did review this already, but with less intensity apparently. That review is here, for anyone curious. :D

Edited by sideviewhotel

Lovely.

Heady musk, a rich patchouli, and a slight floral. There is a hint of sweetness to this blend, a hint od spice, I think it is the myrrh.

:P

Wet on my skin, so much patchouli! also dark, woody wet amber. The musk is very very 'animal' and powerful. It almost smells like a goat. Or yarn.

It is really yummy. Very potent. [The kind of bpal that you love, but get afraid will offend other people sitting next to you.]

Drydown: everything is softening and blending together. The amber is losing it's woodiness and becoming pleasantly soft and powdery. Patchouli still dominates the blend. The goaty animal scent is still in there when i put my nose right to my wrist. Very powerful.

Oh, Lust. The first thing I smelled was red musk, as usual, but I couldn't help noticing that there was something delightfully and deeply incensey beneath it, and it doesn't smell like myrrh. I can't put my finger on it, but wow, it's wonderful. In its first stages on my skin, I still smell the red musk a lot, but the patchouli (seemingly of the red variety) creeps up a little and does something I've never seen patchouli do before. Now see, BPAL's patchouli was always kind of dry and "blah" to me, but not too unpleasant, and other brands of patchouli I found positively rank, in a kind of moldy way...but this is neither. It smells woody, but it's rich and alive and passionate, not dry or rank at all. And really, red musk usually overpowers most of the blends when I try them on. This seems to simply provide a lovely, animalistic base.

As it dries down, Lust becomes more and more of a skin scent from the ylang ylang and musk, mixed with a woody base, and with incense smoke wafting about. Mmm. Very nice. One of my new favorite musk blends.

i wonder if this wasn't labeled as "lust" if it would still make me feel all squirmy and flushed. :P it smells so passionate and dirty. i'm not usually a patchouli and myrrh person but the ylang ylang really sweetens it up and it last for ever. i get a ton of, "oh, that you wearing?" too.

i have been wearing bpal for over a year and i just discovered this, it's fast making it's way into my top ten.

I can't believe I've never tried this one - got it as a frimp today and I've fallen head over heels for it!!! SUPER SEXY! I can't wait to wear this out one night...

at first: sweet, dark, and incensy.

on: i expected this to be overwhelming, but it isn't. it has an almost fruity feel to it. sweet and dark, but not heavy.

1 hour later: sweet flowers and incense. pretty.

3.5 hours later: generally soft, sweet, and earthy.

overall: this is nice, but i have other scents like it already.

I received this imp from my Swich Witch.

In the vial: musky, spicy and somewhat sweet.

Wet: very strong patchouli, musk and spiciness. The spiciness must be the myrrh.

Dry: Deep, feminine and very sek-say! Lots of throw. I think I get a tiny hint of vanilla undertone. This is an amazing and delicious scent! I must have a big bottle.

Lust

A freebie I didn't fancy. Unpleasant oriental incense with a sharp herbal bitterness. It stays the same, more or less, turns perhaps to more of an incensey oriental floral soap.

I can see where the sensuality others sense comes from - it does invoke images of a hot and sweaty romp between the sheets.

Unfortunately, I had a clash with my old enemy ylang ylang - it tends to get cloyingly sweet on me and condemned all other notes to playing a distant second fiddle. "Lust" seemed to come on waaaay to strong for me, and reminds me more of the stickyness after the act than actual sexual desire.

Edited by Diva Urd

Frimp from the Labbies... with my Smut. Think they're trying to tell me something? :D I'm one of the few ylang-ylang seems to get along with all right, so I have high hopes for this. (Caveat lector: it's full-moon time for me, and that's surely going to be messing with my chemistry a little bit, so your mileage may vary rather a lot.)

In the Imp: Wow, this is the most darkly-coloured oil I've run into yet: so red it's almost black... not purpley-red, but really, really incredibly intense blood red fading into inky brown-black. Seems appropriate, somehow. *uncaps vial* Mmmmm. Oooh. Oh, this is nice. The patchouli, myrrh and musk combine to create a scent that's a little reminiscent of red sandalwood (red sandalwood is, I believe, an aphrodisiacal oil... certainly is on me, anyway!), although if I pay more attention when I sniff I can deconstruct the individual elements: a smooth, woody patchouli (red, perhaps? It doesn't have the sharpness I associate with black), rich incensey myrrh, velvety red musk and the slightly sweet, lightening tones of ylang-ylang. This is quite similar to Sin, as well, only with an even darker base and a floral topnote. I love this sort of scent. :P

Wet: Dry myrrh first, which always goes a little salty on me, like sea air and incense. Except in here, it smells almost.... dusty? Weird. I'll give it a second to mellow and see if that helps. I can see where people are getting a grape sort of impression from this: I think it's the mingling of the ylang-ylang and the patchouli creating a sweet-but-dark sort of fruity scent. Fortunately, it's not going to baby aspirin on me like Beth's intentionally grapey notes do.

Hmm, this isn't as similar to Sin as I thought... it has the same patchouli, but the red musk provides a softer, closer bottom note, the ylang-ylang adds an almost transparent quality, and the myrrh is heavy and antique-smelling (and still just a touch briney), and reminds me of old books. Blended all together, it's a bit like some sort of exotic cinnamon, only better. It's got some throw, but less than I expected... just enough to draw someone in. Which is, I suppose, the point. *waggles eyebrows*

Dry: The illicit lovechild of Urd and Sin. It has the same sort of topnote as Urd (only Urd's was cereus, if I remember correctly), and a vague grapey quality, like a very toned-down version of Urd's muscadine. All else is taken from Sin: a sexy, incensey base, intense and dry, but still almost edible in its appeal. Mmmmmmm...... Love this. I'm definitely keeping the Imp. I probably don't need big bottles of both this and Sin, so a face-off will be in order eventually, but for now, I'm happy to have both. Now, if you'll excuse me... :D

Lust

In the imp: mmm, red musk, deep, rich and with a slight hint of floral ylang.

Wet on skin: sexy red musk, lightened by ylang. This is lovely!

Dry: whoa, the ylang is strong at this point! The scent is heady and dark, with the strong floral scent of ylang competing with the fruity and deep red musk, darkened by earthy notes of patchouli and myrrh. This scent is pretty intense …and as usual, the red musk note is delightful.

After a while: after the initial blast of ylang, the scent then settles down after a few minutes into a really gorgeous, darkly sweet scent, with all the notes well balanced but with red musk taking centre stage, supported by sweetly floral ylang and dark myrrh. This is sexy and dirty (and I mean good dirty!) and I like it!

As the scent dries down, it doesn’t change too much, but I do start to notice a similarity to Sin (which I love) which is probably due to the musk and patchouli, except in the place of the spice, this one has ylang.

Verdict: I adore red musk, so it’s no surprise that I love this scent. It’s very heavy on the red musk-that deep, rich, slightly fruity, slightly spicy, and ever so sexy musk, strengthened by patchouli (which also lends a Sin-like feel to the scent), darkened by myrrh, and with the heady, full on floral of ylang ylang. At first, the ylang is very strong but eventually the musk wins and the scent becomes a glorious fruity-incensy red musk scent. I love this scent but since I have so many other red musk scents that I love, I probably won’t need a bottle of this yet, but you never know!

this is the first imp i really fell in love with.

it really reminds me a lot of snake charmer.

smells musky-amber on the bottom, you can baaaarely smell the patchouli, which is a good thing. Maybe the ylang-ylang (reeeally light floral) is taking the edge off of the patchouli.

I'm getting a bottle of this.

Whoa, this is sweet and heavy. Very oppressive. Red musk and myrrh are the most prominent... I'm not really getting the patchouli or ylang ylang at all.

This kind of turns my stomach a bit since it is so thick and sweet. I don't feel very lusty at all.

You wouldn't think that a little ylang ylang could completely overcome all the earthy goodness of patchouli, musk and myrrh... But there is no such thing as "a little" ylang ylang, at least not on my skin. Ylang ylang nearly always rears up and turns into Florzilla on me, and this no exception.

I can smell just enough of the other notes, faintly in the background, to realize that this might be a nice scent on someone who is not me. But mainly, it's just a screaming ylang ylang attack. Oh well.

*sigh* I seem to have flunked right out on the Seven Deadlies. None of them work on me, of the ones I've tried, and the ones I haven't tried, I can pretty much tell from the description I wouldn't like. Maybe I'm doomed to be virtuous. :P

Grade: D

Wet and dry this is overwhelmingly red musk and patchouli. I think this would make a great room scent, but it doesn't work well on my skin.

In the imp: patchouli! occasional wafts of soft florals and sweet musk.

On me, wet: a lot of patchouli and dark, sharp myrrh. This is an intense and strong and sweet scent.

On me, dry: still a fair amount of patchouli, with a sweet resinous scent gloopy and thick over the top. The SO doesn't like this at all on me - I think he finds it too resiny.

Verdict: I smell like a hippy shop. Not a bad hippy shop smell, but enh, no, I think I'll pass this on.

Hmm, I can't believe I have some imps I haven't yet reviewed.

In the bottle: Sweet and antiseptic, mostly red musk and patchouli.

First on: Ylang ylang, red musk and patchouli, but it still reminds me of something aniseptic, like the scent of iodine.

After a bit: It turns a bit powdery on me, mostly just the ylang ylang and patchouli now with something very sweet lingering underneath.

Red musk doesn't work with my skin at all and I'm not a fan of patchouli, so this one I wont be keeping.

I didn't review this? Probably because I got cranky after I spilled my imp. This was one of my favorites. Rich and thick, although used sparingly as a little goes a long, looooong way. I'm not sure if it really inspired much lust, but it did seem to amp up my confidence. :P

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Dirty hippy sex.

In the imp: Red Musk and patchuli. Faintly reminds me of my beloved Vixen.

On skin, wet: Red musk, patchouli and ylang-ylang; mostly red musk and ylang. The patchouli grounds the scent a fair bit, keeping it from floating off into "Heady floral"-land. As neither ylang, red musk nor patchouli (usually) are among my favourite notes, this isn't winning me over.

On skin, dry: A musky, dirty hippy getting' it on with someone wearing a strong, thick heavy perfume. Followed by the random addition of myrrh! Nope, not digging Lust.

Conclusion/Notes: Red musk, patchouli, ylang and myrrh? I had no hopes for this, and if I wasn't intent on trying everything that passes through my imp box, I wouldn't have touched Lust with ten-foot pole. That said, I'm not surprised it bombed on my skin.

Edited by Aredhel

Um...everything Aredhel said. Times three. I had no hope for this (seriously, I was wondering if this frimp was an April fool's joke from the lab or something...myrrh? ylang ylang? patchouli?) and I got just about what I expected. This is not just dirty hippy sex. This is dirty hippies trying to make their sex smell pretty by throwing a zillion flowers and a bucket of baby powder on it.

Lust? 'snot for me.

When first applied this reminds me of Fenris Wolf (must be the initial blast of red musk)...but the blend rapidly takes on a sharper, overly sweet tone. This just gets worse on me unfortunately, the ylang ylang and the red musk quickly become insufferably sharp and discordant :P The myrrh just makes the sickening sweetness heavier (the patchouli mentioned in the description is not really noticable). This one is definately not for me.

Throw: 8/10 (rating). This oil has very good broadcasting power unfortunately. (Eventually, I even washed it off, which I never like doing). :D

Overall Rating: 3/10 (rating). Dissonant and sharp on my skin chemistry, Lust is not my cup of tea.

Court

*sniffs wrists again and again and again* While I can't tell if Lust really sets my senses to burning, I must say it's a lovely blend. All of the notes mix together to form a sensual, dark smell that hints at naughty things to be done behind closed doors. On my skin it starts out as something very woody, but as it dries I get a mellow spicy sweet scent. All in all a wonderful perfume!