Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Uncontrollable passion and insatiable sexual desire: red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

Yowl.

This is a yummy one. Very red and juicy and.. makes me think of warm embraces.
I've decided that I love red musk, it's so vibrant. I even like it mixed with ylang ylang and myrrh, though I'm not usually up for the "hippie" scents.

It smells like body heat and red wine.. satin sheets and brocade pillows.
Candied fruits and caramels.. maybe a sweet and spicy tea.

Maybe also a hookah in the room. :P

I love this one, definitely.

I really wanted to like this one, I wanted to imagine warm and sultry embraces and knowing looks with my other half and for it to inspire some clothes ripping off passionate embraces.

However. On me it just smelled like an aromatherapy oil and it made me sneeze a lot. Oh well. On with the search :P

Bottle

Strong and sweet in unision. Tempting candy berry sweetness, rich color, deep underriding mystery. I have not caught the patchouli yet, but I will admit I am nervous about it since it usually does not work well with me (well better put, I do not work well with it since I care not for it).

Wet

The color traveling through all the delicate skin lines on my wrist is weird. Nice to see how a little goes a long way and disperses so quickly! I smell musk and myrrh. My skin loves pushing red musk to the top. Uh oh, I smell patchoulimonster sneaking up.

Dry

BLECH! Curse you patchoulie. Stamp! Stamp! I was *so* excited about this and now I cannot sit through it to find the interesting bits.

Mmmmm delicious! I absolutely love this blend of scents. It's sweet and spicy at the same time. Oh goodness.

I don't know that it inspires lustful urges in me, per se- no more than any really delicious scent does, but it's really really good.

It's kind of a cousin of Urd- less on the grape front.

Definitely keeping my imp and considering a 5ml- and I only own 3 5ml bottles because I'm so picky.

I wonder if I should be concerned that I'm trying this and then Queen in a few minutes. :P

This has a small hint of juicy.. something, but it's very smoky and heady. It almost reminds me of the way my dad's winter coats used to smell when I was a kid when he still smoked. But, it's sweeter and. Yumyumyumyumyum.

And, as it's drying, it seems to be getting sweeter and sweeter. Not massively so, but enough so that the sweetness is coming up to fight (not in a bad way, mind you) with the smoky smell of incense.. smoke.

This smells like Siren with a lot of patchouli added on me. Very sweet, almost overripe berry kinda smell tinged with an earthy-woodiness. It doesn't smell particularly sexual to me, this is one of the more "head shop"y BPAL blends I've tried. It's very heady and strong. Not for the faint of heart!

Edited by luxuria

In bottle: very sweet and incense-y

Wet: not as sweet, but still mostly incense. The combo of patchouli, musk and myrrh often combine into one note for me.

Dry: the patchouli overtakes everything else. I really wish patchouli and I got along better. It always smells kinda smoky and musky--too pungent and dark for my taste.

A woah red musk, I used to think it was too dry but now I really appreciate animalitic scents. If you like Scherezade or Smut, step right up. Strong sillage, sweet musk, insence notes, and earthy drydown.

Edited by lookingglass

As the reviews have stated before, there is a sort of fruitness to Lust. It smells like some odd sort of patchouliberry. The sweetness calms down after about five minutes of wear, revealing Beth's wonderful, dignified patchouli note, supported well by myrrh.

Lust is a good dark fragrance to wear that still has a small bit of brightness to keep it from smelling like earth. The sweet notes stay well with the oil, mingling with the duskier elements of the fragrance. I received Lust as a freebie imp and find little if anything to say bad about it. I don't know if I would get a bigger bottle, but I will hold onto the imp for a while. It's similar to Anne Bonny, but Lust has a sort of sweet sugarness that Anne Bonny doesn't have. The sugar-berry note, actually, reminds me of Hollywood Babylon. I suppose fans of both scents may want to look into Lust.

-doreen

Lust is one of my favorite scents (well, it would be in my Top 50) but I don't have a big bottle of it so I've never reviewed it. When I first smelled it I went berserk and wanted a bottle immediately but I never got around to ordering, so I hoarded imps...

This was one of the scents that made me realize that red musk is my best friend. It's a little too strong and sweet to wear too often, but WOW. This is a masterpiece of red musk. So gritty and sultry, almost berry-sweet but, well, musky. It's an earthy red sweetness, almost drinkable. I'd say it's similar to Lilith in some ways but without the wine element, just in the way that it absolutely personified DEEP DARK RED as a scent and makes you want to lick yourself.

And the color! So dark! The color of dried blood!

This scent really takes off on my skin, it's one of those incensy smells that I amplify to a ridiculous amount, and even after a shower it's still going strong. This generally stays around for 24 hours when I put it on.

I don't smell the individual notes other than red musk -- I think the patchouli gives it the gritty, earthy feeling though, and since patchouli and my skin like to get married and have babies together this is a very good thing. I hate ylang ylang BUT in blends with patchouli it doesn't smell like nail polish remover. Instead, it transforms into something sweet and aromatic and all-around good. Myrrh too, I'm not wild about much of the time but it loses itself in patchouli.

Eventually I will have a bottle of this. But for now my imps seem to keep me in good shape since I can't handle anything this strong and long-lasting on a regular basis. After all I also have Scherezade and Spellbound in bottles to keep me shrouded in red musk through the cold months!

I like incense and spice, and while those seems to be hanging out in the background of Lust, my overwhelming impression is one of strong, flowery perfume. I wish I could figure out which note it is that turns to such strong perfume to me. Is it the ylang-ylang? The red musk? (I love O and Snake Oil; Lust doesn't remind me of them at all.)

I like patchouli essential oil but don't have much experience with the Lab's patchouli. I don't really smell any patchouli in this blend, which is funny because it so many reviewers mention how strong it is.

At any rate, Lust is very strong and aggressively female (not feminine), but too perfumey for me.

Edited by Fishwomon

It's funny to read so many reviews that call this a "feminine" or "womanly" scent, because on me, it was overpoweringly masculine. No candy, floral or creamy elements on me.

Wet: at first I got interesting, not unpleasant, indications of wood and leather, but they were soon overpowered by the patchouli, which seemed to get stronger and stronger for the first two hours. Down boy!

Dry: hours later, the patchouli is gone and I have a nice, still very masculine muskiness (I love the way all BPAL musks quiet down).

If I didn't have to go through the patchouli dominance phase, I would wear this whenever I was feeling more masculine.

I'm not sure what note makes this sweet like candy but I really don't like it. It reminds me of candy sitting in the car on the ground, getting hot, drippy and dirty and stinkin' up the car. And as much as "hot, drippy and dirty" sounds like a good thing, I don't mean it in the good way!

The musk or myrrh doesn't help either. Not sure what went wrong with this one.

Wasn't fond of it sniffing from the bottle, either. I *really* wanted a perfume called Lust, too! :P

In the bottle

This is a dark red brown liquid.

I smell the patchouli and the red musk primarily.

On

Mmm, the myrrh is divine. It's not too overpowering, but it is a firm myrrh.

The ylang ylang is so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable but it lends this strong blend just that bit of sweet floral that this blend needs in order to have a wonderful balance with the strong dark smells of the patchouli, myrrh and red musk.

30 minutes

This is a good hearty blend with some staying power.

It doesn't morph in any unusual manner on my skin. It stays that nice lusty dark sexual smell with the slight floral twang of ylang ylang in the background.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Incensey/Animalistic/Floral

Summary

I didn't expect to like this as much as I do. I feel this deserves a place in my "darkly sexual" pile with Noir, Sin, etc.

Purchase again?

Yes. Another imp though, not a bottle.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

OOoooooh!!! I love this stuff!

Wet in the bottle and wet on skin: It smells like grape candy with a little bit of woodiness

Dry on skin (10-20 minutes later): The grape candy smell (probably from the ylang ylang) has chilled out and the musk, patchouli, and myrrh has surfaced, resulting in a sweet, rich, heady scent.

Dry (several hours later): MMmmmmm....this still smells sweet, musky, and almost buttery. If lust had a smell, this would be it. Awesome. I need a bottle.

Lust

Warm and very deep. This is very heavy and quite strong on me. I can't pick out any of the notes specifically but this is very deep and red to me in tone. I'm getting something strong and earthy from this, which I think might be the patchouli and something sweeter that smells almost like dragon's blood. Plus there's a hint of some sort of flat plasticky note in the background, that is almost bandaid like.

Sniffing the imp: This is very earthy...very dark, but with a hint of sweetness lying underneath. Sounds good so far!

Wet on wrist: *shock* Apparently, Lust smells exactly like Grape Kool Aid!! :P

Dry: Ok, the earthiness has come back now, along with a sort of smoky smell. There may be some berries, too. Nice, but I feel like I belong more around a campfire singing Dylan songs than ravaging someone of the opposite sex? Yes, it reminds me of my backyard out in the country in Manitoba, at one of my famous sing-a-long campfire parties!

Conclusion: I am not sure if I like it or not...if I want to wear it or not...and one thing I am never confused about is Lust!! I think this one is going to the sale bin.

*edited because apparently I am too tired to spell correctly at 11:30 p.m. on a Saturday night. Getting old sucks!*

Edited by Lori

Lust smells like the love child of Urd and Blood Moon! All that wonderful red musk and patchouli with a layer of glorious myrrh---so good. I can hardly detect the ylang ylang at all. It's very dark and sensual and animalistic. This is lust, not love! Very primal.

In the Bottle: Guh.....I don't know what sort of sexual desire this is supposed to smell like but I want no part of it. Smells like pencil shavings, ylang ylang and red musk.

Wet: Ylang ylang comes to the forfront when first put on, followed by red musk, then the patchouli and the myrrh is hiding in the background sharpening a blade. And then it hits. The patchouli strangles the ylang ylang to the ground and stands atop it triumphant. The patchouli has the red musk by the throat and is taughting it. In the end? There is nothing left but a bloody pencil shavings and myrrh mess.

Drydown: A bloody mess.....call in the detectives....they're going to want to know about the scent homocide. I'm sure we can get a confession out of those two.

In the bottle - spicy, maybe a bit sweet.

Wet - patchouli, patchouli, and even more patchouli. I now have a headache.

After a few hours - I never really get past the dominant patchouli, and still have the headache.

Sadly, Lust is going into the swap pile.

First impression in the imp was that it was biting, sharp, something almost menthol, or like eucalyptus. Reading others' reviews, I am surprised and also think I am maybe a little bit crazy, because it was so different for me than for anyone else, it seems. (I mean, hello? Menthol?) :P

On my skin, it is at first a mixture of that sharp, almost piney scent and incense. Then it becomes all incense , and strong incense, with a bite! The way your wrist would smell if you were to hold it in the smoke of actual burning incense - it's exactly like that on me - which isn't bad, it's just too much, on me.

And I had such high hopes for this one! :D

After a few hours, it softened somewhat, losing the bite, &again, a lovely scent but not love at first smell. I am going to wait a week or two and give it another try.

(I have just taken another sniff at it in the imp, just to see, and now I'm not getting any sort of menthol-ish scent at all, but fruity & sweet. I can't explain that, other than perhaps it was the wine I was drinking at the time, ha ha.)

Lastly; I will say, though, that Lust has FANTASTIC staying power! I am not kidding, I went to bed, woke up the next day, lounged around, and I could still smell it on my arms that evening before I showered. Impressive! If only it worked on me better . . .

This was a freebie the Lab sent in my last order. Thanks guys!

I have good news and bad news about this one. The good news is that my nose is becoming more educated. I thought that this scent reminded me of both Malice and Malevolence, and it has some of the same notes as both of those, especially Malice.

The bad news: it isn't working for me.

From the bottle: Very heavy and earthy. Funny thing for a hippie chick like me, but I guess I don't enjoy patchouli much. Something about the scent seems waxy and smoky, like a burnt out candle.

Just on: I smell a lot of patchouli and musk, seamlessly blended. I can't pick out myrrh, but I don't know if that is just that I don't know how to identify it. I have some frankincense and myrrh soap that I haven't started yet, so I may give Lust another try after I've opened it, to see whether I can pick out the myrrh then. Who knows, maybe they will be a nice combination.

4-5 hours later: The scent has mellowed considerably, and I think I do get some ylang-ylang now. It's not soon enough, however.

Overall impression: This just isn't me. I have no partner to test it on, but I suspect it wouldn't make me feel very sexy. Not to sound New Age-y, but I feel like I'm channeling the wrong element here. I'm more air and water, and this is an earth and fire scent. Sometimes I do need a "wickeder than I usually am" scent, something to get away from my everyday self. However, "Malice" already fills that need for me, so I suspect "Lust" will be added to the swap pile.

Ancientgirl

In the imp: Deep and rich! Holy decadence! I'm getting dragon's blood resin or wine, thick and stinging musk, and some other notes I can't quite pick out. A resin I can't name but I know it's there.

Wet: Dirty DBR, smothered in a dark musk and what I'm assuming is myrrh.

Dry: The same, but smells a bit more like plastic. I think the ylang ylang in it is causing the plastic smell about now. Not necessarily unpleasant, though.

Category: Sexy/DBR

Rating: 2.5/5, too much dirty in the mix

Overall: The scent is okay, but I've smelled it before in the other sexual blends. The plastic scent was a little bit of a downer, but the myrrh just wasn't me. I think the red musk is a bit too powerful on me, anyways. Seems like this is the undiluted form of Mata Hari in some way on reflection.

Edited by PixieSkull

At first this smells like grape laffy taffy... sickly sweet sugary grape candy.

Thankfully within minutes it dries to a rich sweet and more complex blend... The Patchouli :P takes over with a unique sweetness I haven't encountered in other BPALs... Sensual yet playful...

This is a very sexual blend, hints of dirty, dark musk and rich resins take turns surfacing as this oil warms to my skin... I love it... Powerful, rich and sensual, all the requirements for a perfect BPAL blend.

Ooo, Lust. I think this is having the same effect as Desire on me (more or less); I'm feeling warmer, but getting chills... I'm breathing in through my nose and out slowly through my mouth while smelling this, licking my lips... This would be fun to try out in a club or when with that special someone. :P Sexy!