Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Uncontrollable passion and insatiable sexual desire: red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

I scored a beautifully aged bottle of this sexy beast!

First of all, I :heart: red musk and patchouli blends and Lust can't be beat in this category. Usually myrrh and I are heated enemies, but because this is so old, the myrrh is smoky but the sickly sour smell that I associate with myrrh is completely absent. The ylang ylang adds a soft and sweet edge that blends straight into the red musk.

This is by far one of my favorites. It's up there with Sin and Scheherazade. :wub:

In the bottle: It's pretty spicy, with a bare fruity undertone

Wet on skin: same as in bottle

Dry on skin: the spiciness has mellowed out, and the patchouli isn't terribly noticeable, thank goodness. It's very warm, but doesn't evoke lust in me.

Meh.

This is an interesting scent in the vial - it's musky and floral, with the sweet ylang ylang being tempered by the earthiness of the patchouli and bitter myrrh. On my skin, it is a floral musk with an earthiness behind it; rounded and gentle rather than uncontrollable or insatiable! If it is lust, it is of a gently simmering sort, quiet and kept in check and awaiting the opportune moment. After a few hours this becomes a soft musky scent, sweetened a touch with florals, although the ylang ylang itself has faded.

I received a fabulously aged imp of this. It is seriously thick and dark and just gorgeous.

Lust has three things I love (red musk, patchouli, myrrh) and one thing I detest (ylang-ylang). I was interested to see if my loves could whip my nemesis into shape. The verdict? No. :(

Gorgeous aged red musk, earthy patchouli, and sweet resiny myrrh. When I first applied it, I thought I had a winner. The ylang-ylang is a bottom note and was behaving itself fairly well. then my skin chemistry took over and amped it beyond all comprehension. Ended up cloyingly floral. And the sickening, opressive ylang-ylang brought out the worst aspects of the red musk, making it overwhelming and heavy and thick. I had to wash it off.

At first this is waaayyyyy too floral on me (ylang-ylang, behave yourself!) but after a while of sitting on my skin the ylang-ylang mellows out and blends into the heady red musk and patchouli and warm myrrh to create a wonderful, super-sexy scent.

(It is an aged imp though. I'm waiting not-so-patiently for my bottle to get to the same level of awesome)

Frimp in one of my orders.

All the notes in this blend are pretty much a win for me. Sadly, once blended all together and on my skin, it reminds me a Nippon Kodo incense display stand.

In the imp, I get a sweet patchouli. Wet, it's patchouli, red musk, and something else. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it's the myrrh. During the drydown, the ylang ylang emerges and this is a lovely patchouli, red musk, ylang ylang blend with a touch of myrrh. It's the same once dry, although the patchouli and myrrh gain a little more strength and the red musk fades a bit.

This is very pretty but every time I smell it, I think about incense sticks. I think I'll use this as a room scent or I'll revisit this in the fall, when it starts to get cooler. I'm really on the fence about this one.

Wet: Smells exactly like Lush's Karma perfume on me! Really... a total identical match. It's very thick and syrupy and leaves that orangey spicy well-being feeling swirling about my head.

Drydown: shifts every so slightly towards a Sin or Satyr kinda mix, with the red musk coming out more, however still solidly feeling very Karma-ish.

I know this is supposed to inspire ..uhm *ahem* however this is very soothing and meditational on me (I lean faaarrr towards earthy spicy and resinous anyways). My new moment-of-peace inducing pick.

This was the very first scent I tried and my opinion of it has fluctuated and evolved after several wears. At first, I loved it. I knew nothing about the notes (except that I definitely knew there was patchouli in there!) but it seemed fairly complex and interestingly beautiful. It put me in a strangely energetic mood and took me out of a long funk. After several wears, however, it does not seem like the same oil.

Now, Lust has become an extremely powdery patchouli scent and nothing else. It’s not patchouli, it’s more like opening an old, dusty trunk full of books in an attic that had several satchels of patchouli lying in it for 50 years. It feels like a thick, heavy cloud radiating from my skin and surrounding me. I am not sure I like this. I don’t know what happened exactly, but I will assume this is some issue with body chemistry or hormones. Perhaps I will save the imp and try it out in the scent locket that I will be receiving for my birthday.

I really wanted to smell the myrrh in this. Too bad. I'll probably try it once or twice more and hope for the best. :trout:

a steamy, jungle habitat at the zoo,

full of exotic plants and monkeys.

It's a clandestine kiss in the corner,

pulled there by a lover while people pass by.

It's the sudden loin-tingling heart flopping thrill

of being checked out by a sexy guy.

It's that feeling you have as a confused teenager,

dying for awakening but not sure you're ready for it yet.

It's going too far in the backseat,

swept away by the heat of the moment,

summer nights and asphalt,

and his sticky cologne sweat

on your skin.

Imp received from a swap, not sure how old.

In the imp: Sweet, but with a harsh undertone.

On wet: This starts off feeling very harsh to me. It reminds me of nothing so much as Snake Oil in the first month or so, before it starts aging into goodness. Not bad, exactly, but nothing I'd exactly run out to get.

Initial drydown: Yes, this is the spice edge to SO, without the vanilla to smooth it out. There's a bit of the sweetness from the imp coming back in, which might help soften this to something I can wear.

After an hour: This does settle down, with the sweet aspect helping to temper out the spices. But it's very similar in feeling to SO, and Snake Oil works a lot better on me after it's had a chance to age, so I don't think it's a keeper for me. Toss it in swaps.

Mostly getting the patchouli and the myrrh here in the imp. On my skin, it's a combo of the red musk and the ylang ylang, which are softening out the former two. Hrm. Fades quickly, not worth it.

Edited by Venneh

Lust

I feel like there was a mixup at the Lab, because this smells identical to Imp. It's patchouli and fruit. Will have to re-test.

Another frimp. I love getting a chance to try out things I might not even consider otherwise, and even when they don't work out, I've gotten to play a little, which is always good.

In the imp: Mostly musk, with a fair amount of patchouli.

Wet: Still musk, but now sweet to the point of cloying is almost overwhelming it. A dark honey, maybe?

Dry down: The sweetness starts to back off, which helps some.

After a couple of hours: Back to how it started in the imp, musk with patchouli.

Overall: Somehow it seems to evoke the idea of lust more than lust itself. It's not bad, but I've got better scents for when I'm in the mood (or want to be). Not sure this one's a keeper.

In the bottle: I can smell the musk, the patchouli and the ylang ylang. Hot, spicy. Raw. Sexy as hell.

On my skin: When I first apply it, it is the same sexy scent I get in the bottle. I think I'm in love. ...And then it morphs. After a couple of minutes, it goes all ylang ylang on my skin, with a very subtle musky tone in the background. And then the subtle musk also fades away.

Cooldown: Ylang ylang. A shame this doesn't work well on my skin, it is such a sexy scent. I will try to age it a bit, or perfume my room/clothes/whatever with it.

Oh, Lust, you were irresistible when you started.

But you were over too soon.

I feel let down. And used. And cheap.

Edited by Shollin

I have been falling in :love!: with patchouli, a note I was sure I hated. Unfortunately, Lust is the first BPAL scent where the patchouli is just too much. Being paired with powdery musk doesn't help. When I first put it on, the scent was nice and I was excited about yet another lovely patchouli scent. But after awhile, it started to make me a bit nauseous. Maybe it's because I was both riding in a car and hungry, but the combo just left me very unsettled. I will keep the imp for awhile and see if aging helps, but musk has become my enemy and that may be enough to keep me away even if the patchouli mellows.

Lust reminds me of Annick Goutal's Songes (must be the ylang ylang!), but BETTER! Sweeter, deeper, and what I would go for when in the mood for a tropical white floral. It doesn't invoke quite the same visceral response as others have described, but then I'm a vanilla gal first and foremost. ;)

Review from 2005.

In the Vial: Snake Oil's tarty little sister. I can definitely smell the musk, but no patchouli, and I'm not familiar enough with ylang ylang and myrrh to know whether or not I'm smelling them.

Wet: The tart immediately wears off into something warmer and muskier. I think I'm noticing the ylang ylang and myrrh more, but I'm only assuming that because there's a different scent popping up that I can't name. I'm still not detecting the patchouli. Also, this supposedly very sexual scent doesn't smell sexual at all to me, a sad pattern I'm noticing with any sexual scent I test.

Dry: Ah, there's the patchouli. It's lost a lot of it's sweetness, and now smells dry and warm and woody. No longer Snake Oil's tarty little sister; now, it's Snake Oil's older, wiser, more conservative sister.

An Hour Later: It's even more similar to Snake Oil now, just less sweet, and a little darker.

Overall: Though they're very similar, I like Snake Oil much better than Lust, so off to the swap pile Lust goes.

There is something in this blend that does not agree with me. It's kinda.... dirty? Must be the patchouli. This scent is just dirty musk on me. Huh, doesn't change too much as time goes on. Definitely does not agree with me.

Definitely a blend I thought I'd love, but ended up not agreeing with me. I LOVE BPAL's musks (red, white, black, skin, whatever!) so I thought I'd like this too, based on reviews.

In imp: Light and musky, pleasant fragrance with a slight sourness.

Wet on skin: Something bitter and medicinal. I can't really stand the smell.

Dry on skin: Starts to smell strongly of..burnt caramel? Not a good burnt caramel, either...like "I left caramel in a pan and now it's black." Must be the myrrh? It's a shame, because I can smell something lovely in the background (probably the other notes!)

I guess off to the swaps with this one!

Imp -- Sweet-dry, resinous. Is there a note of wood?

Wet -- The cologne scent that i think means patchouli on me, something sweet and spicy and a little cinnamony, maybe cedary. Perhaps the myrrh.

Dry -- This doesn't smell anything like lust to me, I'm having no overwhelming passionate or desirous feelings. It smells woody and warm. If anything, it reminds me of doing summer stock theater in old barns (OK, to be fair, a lustful time in my youth). I am getting a tiny hint of a pixy-stix sweet note in the background, maybe the ylang ylang poking through. So far it's very pleasant and not cloying, but hardly inspiring uncontrollable desire.

Later -- It's getting spicier and drier, but something is turning to Play-Doh on me -- cinnamon-cedar-scented Play-Doh. I think there is something in the musk-resin blend world that doesn't play nicely with my chemistry. Boo.

Red musk and patchouli, I love you! This scent is a must for lovers of those two notes. If not, you'd be best to avoid. The ylang-ylang gives it a sweetness, but this is not a floral scent. No, it's an in your face sexy scent. My skin loves these notes, the throw is strong, and it lasts forever on me, so it's an A+ scent. This is so much better than Smut to me because of the patchouli, and I'm so happy that it's a GC. :wub2:

This is such a blatantly sexual scent, just sniffing it it makes me want to do really reprehensible things. :twisted: Lush ylang ylang and fierce red musk are definitely at the fore and given even more potency by the patchouli and grounded by a thick sweet myrrh that gives it a resinous depth. If this is what it is now I can't imagine what it will be aged.

From its earthy, spicy opening, it keeps on expanding and softening throughout the dry down. While the patchouli acted as the main player at first, it now seems like ALL the notes are trying to balance each other out, not one is trying to play center stage, it's a perfect blend of earthiness, mystery and come hither flair.

It's a great seductive scent that will leave a ton of unanswered questions in its wake, "who is she?" being the first and last one on everyone's mind.

Does it evoke lust? That depends on the wearer, of course.

But I can definitely see how a light silage of this following a woman in a crowd would catch the attention of quite a few people.

It is, however, a less is more scent: Overdo it and people will laugh and run away while holding their noses.

Do it right and you will leave many with their knees shaking and their every thought fused in your direction.

I got this as a frimp with my first order, and it's really growing on me. The name almost put me off as I'm not a very sexual person. But this is a nice rich and rounded spicy scent.