Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Uncontrollable passion and insatiable sexual desire: red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

in the vial: Um, did Beth ship me Depraved and mislabel it by any chance? (sniffs Depraved) Nope, this is more maple syrup-y than Depraved...then where on Earth is the apricot/patchouli smell coming from??

on my skin: Fruity. No, spicy. No, like a cookie. Like a spicy, fruity cookie? (shrug) Either way, this certainly doesn't scream LUST to me. It's very nice, though. Well, hold on...

The OIL is lustful. Not me. The oil is a seperate entity. It's there looking indignant that I'm not paying attention to it. It's very warm and sexual, but it's not making *me* feel more that way. The ylang ylang is actually giving me a headache, and it's on my wrist going, "I don't care if you have a headache, dammit, LET'S GO!!" and I'm not interested. It's too loud. It's getting stronger by the second. It's making me sleepy, and I'm sneezing. I'm gonna go wash it off, I think.

I'll try this tomorrow and see if it effects me differently.

i ordered a 5mL of this one without even trying it first, and i'm glad i have it for the cooler months ahead. i was actually very surprised by the way it smelled; i expected something much more overtly sexual, but there was a slight hint of sensuality in the creaminess (is that even the right word?) and warmth of this.

i'm not quite sure how to describe it. -runs to get 5mL and takes a big whiff-

since i'm not sure what ylang ylang smells like, and tygher told me myrhh smells very warm, i'm guessing that's what the warmth in this is from. surprisingly, the red musk in this DOESN'T turn my skin to crap, which is a great thing.

out of the scents i've tried thus far, this probably smells the most unique to me. a couple of hours after i put it on (about 4 or so hours), my friends were telling me that "something" smelled like incense. i had them smell my arm, and lo and behold-- it was me.

when i got home from school, i was in need of a pick-me-up, so i slathered on some titania over this. the warmth and creaminess of the lust was still there, but not as strong as it had been. you really don't need much of this. later, when my friend picked me up, she said, "mmm! you smell like peach incense."

;D

I like patchouli, I'll admit it, the many times I've smelled it. The only problem is that most of those times it's been mixed with B.O. (as I go to school in a hippie town). so it's not got a positive association with me.

Lust has renewed my love for patchouli. It was...sweet, but spicy. I can't tell which notes are which, because other than patchouli, I have no clue what any of them smell like. It smelled like a spice cookie, and oh man do I love spice cookies. A warm red-brown smell that put me into a very good mood. This is what I want my house to smell like someday.

Didn't seem particularly lustful to me, and Boyfriend didn't give an overwhemlingly enthusiastic response to it other than "It's okay," but I don't care. I will definitely be using up the imp.

First Sniff:

I smell cinnamon and what smells like cedar. Perhaps it's myrrh. I've never smelled myrrh on its own and, honestly, couldn't identify it if you asked me to. It's very warm smelling and sensual, but grounded and earthy at the same time.

Wet on Skin:

The cinnamon is quickly fading, being replaced more by the cedar scent...whatever that may be. Luckily, I love the smell of cedar. :P There's also a growing earthy sort of scent, which I imagine must be the patchouli, which I also love.

Dry Down:

The cinnamon is gone, leaving a very earthy, woodsy sort of scent on me with a hint of warmth. I've never really smelled anything warm and earthy at the same time before, but this is and I'm amazed by how much I love the combination. It's a very comforting sort of scent to me. I wouldn't say that it's living up to the name, but I do love the smell and feel of it. It's very calming for me.

The Bottom Line:

Warm and earthy and woodsy all in one. It's everything I love in a perfume rolled into one and it makes me feel very warm and toasty and oddly comforted. I would have liked the cinnamon to stick around longer, but I do love what it turned into all the same. I'm not sure whether I'd buy a big bottle of this, but the imp is lovely.

Way too much patchouli in this one for me. I like a tiny bit of patchouli in a spicy mix, but this was overwhelming, and very strong on me. Not my idea of sexy, and it isn't inspiring lust. Oh, well.

Granted I am not a huge fan of patchouli, musk or myrrh, but Lust is the closest that I have come to liking a scent with any of these. And I have no idea why. The ylang ylang makes this very sweet at first, and the myrrh and patcholi add a spiciness.

Verdict: I don't really think that I would wear this, but I appreciate the chance to come to terms with several notes that I thought I could never wear.

In the bottle: Lust is a spicy, somewhat sweet, incense-laden scent. I can't pick out individual notes like I can with some of the other oils.

On my wrist: Oh my goodness, this is thick! I applied a lot more than I meant to, and it wasn't even very much- my imp is essentially still full. The drydown on this took forever, and wasn't as pleasant as I had hoped. The red musk gives off a dusty scent that makes me want to sneeze, and although this is obviously very well-blended, it's so full of spicy/resin/incense type notes that it's a bit overpowering. I was never a huge fan of patchouli- I like it okay in blends, but usually need it lightened by something. Since ylang-ylang is a pretty heavy floral oil, it's not making a difference, and I can't smell it anyway for the patchouli, musk, and myrrh.

After about two hours, I could get close enough to my wrist to take a deeper sniff. Ahh- there's the ylang-ylang. It also turned slightly powdery, though not in a bad way at all. It's still heady, but in a lighter, gentler way that I like very much. If only those first two hours hadn't happened!

I'll likely swap this, as the first two hours gave me a mild headache. I'm feeling sad about it, though- I really like what it morphs into later!

Lust smells very similar to Snake Oil in my opinion. It's like..cherries or berries...mixed with Snake Oil. I really like it. It's definately for the seductress...

I really like all these notes, so this seems promising. Ylang^2 can be a bit overwhelming for me at times; I find it to be pink & waxy smelling in certain blends.

The oil in the imp is dark... this can only mean good things! The vial scent is deep & musky & sensual.

Putting it on, the ylang-ylang makes a brief appearance to say HI CHECK ME OUT I'M A FLOWER! It's light and almost fruity and contrary to the other ingredients in the mix. After a few minutes it settles in and blends with the other three notes.

All I can say is WOW. I am so totally digging this with the biggest shovel in the toolshed.

I've been wearing it for several hours now, and it still has nice potency and the wafting fragrance off my skin is totally devine. I'm trying to resist the temptation of sticking my face down the front of my shirt so I can get a bigger whiff.

This oil is totally a winner for me! I LOVE resins and spices and deep, mysterious, warm, murky scents. This has a bit of a sweet top note from the ylang-ylang so that it's not overbearing. Perfection!

Bigger bottle required!

On first sniff- patchouli. So much so, that I often end up jerking my nose away because of the strength of it. But upon drydown, it's all musk and myrrh. It's certainly not your typical patchouli either- at least not like the ones I've smelled. The ylang ylang peeks out every now and then, but to add an iota of lightness to the scent.

On me, it is a dark, warm scent; not necessarily lust inducing, but rather cuddled up with the s.o., watching a naughty movie.

As of now, the verdict is still out as to whether it gets a full bottle or not, but I'll enjoy the imp on those special days.

Update 3/5/05: I had started to layer this with Penthus or Penitence to make it more... acceptable to my nose, but, in the end- it's too strong for me. Bah. Swap pile.

Edited by e_miche

This is one of those oils that all the scents merge together, and nothing really takes over. It's musky, sweet, and earthy all at once.

This has excellent staying power. I've taken a bath with this on, and I can still smell it. I Love this!

This sounds like me! So much like me! I love musk. Love myrrh. Love ylang ylang. Like patchouli well enough.

In the bottle, it's sweet and candy-like, totally not what I expected.

On me, it's all very, very sweet patchouli. No musk or myrrh at all. And while I like patchouli, I don't love it, and the sweet version just didn't do it for me.

A note on how everyone is different - I gave what I had to a girl at work, and it's totally different on her. She gets no ylang ylang at all, more like myrrh and patchouli. I like how it smells on her better. She like how it smells on me better!

OH MY. I think that one needs to be in the right mood for this, but . . . wow. It's hot, it's feral, it's animalistic, and it's sexual, no doubt. It's a deep, musky sort of sweet, scent that just screams pumping blood and SEX.

I was in, er, the right mood to begin with, and this oil has made my body feel all heated. I can't wait to get my father in law out of the house . . . *ahem*

I'm not a HUGE fan of patchouli or ylang-ylang, but I had to order this based on the others. (hee) Oddly enough, it reminded me a lot of Snake Oil and Scherezade. It was a fruitier, sans-vanilla snake oil. The myrrh is strongest and the dry, warm musk keeps everything together. When I first tried this, I thought this might actually be a patchouli scent I like. Then along comes Coiled Serpent and itsmywuboftheweek so this has been suplanted. ;p

(but, mmmm. the way it lingers so warm on my wrist.)

When I first smelled it, I wasn't as impressed... but at the moment, I'm smelling it, and... erm, feeling a bit lustful to begin with. This is definitely heightening it. It's a smoky, heady smell, bringing to mind all sorts of dodgy mental images that serve to, at the moment, just make me extremely frustrated over an issue of distance (*cough*) but, given better circumstances, will definitely bring about a hell of a lot of the scent's namesake :P As for the individual scents, I'm not so good at picking those out, but overall, I like this one.

Faded a bit faster than I was hoping for, but as if faded, it was still making itself known.

I received this as a freebie in a swap.

I could swear that Lust smelled like dragon's blood as it reminded me strongly of Blood Lotus and Blood. It was a little heavier.

I was shocked to find out that patchouli, musk, and ylang-ylang are in this scent as I dislike all three of these notes. However, I did not detect a hint of patchouli in Lust nor anything reminiscent of ylang-ylang. I am guessing that the red musk is the note that led me to think of this scent as heavy.

I did not find anything particularly sexual or compelling about Lust.

Lust

Preconceived notions: Lustful *wink*

In the vial: dragon’s blood. In fact, I’d say a very cherry dragon’s blood, since dragon’s blood doesn’t normally smell “cherry” to me, but this does. Still, it’s resinous, smoky, and yes, very red.

On me:

Oh yeah, dragon’s blood. The good kind. The resin smoke rising in my apartment. I just burnt some the other day, and this smells just like it. It’s softening in the first few minutes, to a warm, pulsing cherry. Oh dear, it’s starting to smell like cough syrup. This is the first time this has happened to me.

After about 20 minutes: It’s softer, still mostly cherry, still with a hint of medicinal alcohol. It’s a pity. I would have liked the wonderful, sharp, smoky dragon’s blood. I’m thinking this is another ambush of my favorite smells by the dreaded red musk (for some reason, red musk tends to bring out all the parts that I dislike about notes I really like). It’s also fading rather quickly, so I don’t think it’s going to get better.

In about 35 minutes: I was wrong. Now there’s a hint of cinnamon coming into the mix. It’s reminiscent of really sweet, yet mulled, cherry wine. It’s still too sweet for me, and it evokes more of a child than lust for me.

In 55 minutes: Aha, here’s lust, finally. A nice, spicy dragon’s blood/cinnamon tempered and warmed by musk. No more overly sweet cough syrup. I don’t know if I can wait this long to get to the good stuff, especially since it is very faint.

Overall: I’m not sure. I think I’ll have to try it again. I’m guessing it will either be swapped or stay around, but that I won’t be getting a big bottle of it. After all, I have a lot of wonderful lusty smells that don’t go through the cherry cough syrup phase.

Edited by Witch's Dagger

Lust:

In the Vial: A deep semi-sweet scent.

Wet: It's a darker, scent, very beautiful. I can smell the Ylang Ylang a little...

Dry: Once it's dry, I can't really distinguish the ingredients, it smells SO good... It also has another effect on me...

It causes me to feel Lust, it does it's job, because I feel lusty, and I also feel pretty sexy. :P

In conclusion: At some point I need a full bottle of this stuff! I love it, and it makes me feel Lusty, what more could I ask for? :D

Well, color me stunned. I always wanted to try this, being tempted by the name and good reviews, but ylang-ylang and I do NOT get along so I never bothered. Luckily the Lab sent it along as a freebie and it works so well on me that I can't believe it! No morphing of any kind occurrs with this; it smells on me just like it did in the bottle, a warm earthy scent. If I had to be specific, I would say that this smells like having sex on a bed of fallen leaves - there's the warmth of skin yet with an autumnal dryness of earth and dead leaves. It is quite incensey, yet still very beautiful.

Lust

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): This oil is one of the darkest I have ever seen – a very deep brown. It goes on thick and earthy. The patchouli and musk are by far the top notes. I can barely detect the myrrh and the ylang ylang is hiding under it all. It is a bit overpowering – I hope it calms down.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): This has toned down a bit. It is still mostly patchouli and musk with a bit of myrrh and just a touch of the sweet ylang ylang. This is really blended very nicely.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): The only thing that changes here is the intensity. The notes are still the same – patchouli and musk at the top followed by the myrrh with just a hint of the ylang ylang here and there. Not an unpleasant scent, just not something I foresee myself ever wearing again. So off to the Swap Pile – I’m certain I’ll find it a good home.

The darkest oil I have seen made by BPAL.

It smells good but it smells like every other ylang ylang/myrrh oil I have tried. It is worth a wear or two. Not bottleworthy though.

I did like that the jasmine stayed to the bottom of this...so did the patchouli...I got a ylang ylang myrrh oil with a hint of the jasmine patchouli lurking in the background.

I think Lust could be worn to the office without people sniffing you. It is quite docile for its name. I get the idea that the average woman (and probably man) would love this.

I just have a ton of stuff like it and though it was me a few years back, I have become more adventuresome with perfumes and left them behind.

All I can say is WOW. I am so totally digging this with the biggest shovel in the toolshed.

Ha! I'm so stealing that phrase. And I agree, Lust is awesome.

I didn't get the sweetness that a lot of other people seem to get - this is just straight up spicy and sexy on me. Very much patchouli-esque, so much so that I can barely make out the other scents at first. After the patchouli calmed itself down a little, the other elements began to come forward, and now it's a gorgeous cloud of sensuous, warm, incensey scents. Very strong, and very long lasting. I really like this one, and it's going on the big bottle list.

Lust - works really well. Not sure of all of the notes. I don't think I was paying too much attention to that when I was wearing it. I think I will wear it a bit earlier than I did last time. Then, I will know more about the notes. But it works like it should.

Rich, spicey, and so thick you can almost feel it in the air. This was heady and sensual without being overly feminine. Definitely lust in a bottle. I’d love to be able to wear this more but I find it just a little too … present… to consider as a general scent though I may keep an imp handy for stay in bed with the boyfriend days.

Originally got it in a swap because I was very curious how lust would smell, even though my skin normally amps up patchouli to the point of unbearable.

Well, it did within less than half a minute of application. The smell lingered for about half an hour. But then it mellowed, and I'm getting a lot more of the ylang ylang and myrrh now. Not overtly sexy, I'd say, more a sophisticated, dusky, understated sexy.

Except for the first 30 minutes, I must say I'm very pleasantly surprised by it. I think I'll wait 'til after I've tried it one or two more times to decide how much I like it. And try a few dabs on the boything, too. . .maybe the lustiness it will be more obvious on him. :P