Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Uncontrollable passion and insatiable sexual desire: red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

In the imp, I'm a little scared of it. Mostly, I smell the ylang ylang.

Once it hits my skin, though, the myrrh becomes prominent, which is great. I love myrrh!

As it dries, the red musk comes out more, which is even better. I can't pick out as much of the patchouli, but I never can. My skin seems to absorb it. The ylang ylang sweetens it up a bit, but it's not even close to cloying or overly floral.

Overall, it's red musk blended with a sweet myrrh, and it lasts all day. This is definitely one of my favorites. Balanced, feminine and unique.

In the vial: Dark patchouli with some heavier undertones.

Wet: Powdery dry musk and floral. There's something really intoxicating about it, though, almost like clove or carnation.

20 minutes: Really strong. This smells oddly like damask roses to me. I can make out the myrrh if I try, and the musk is pretty obvious too, but the bulk of this scent is a heavy spicy floral. It still reminds me more of cloves and carnation than of patchouli or ylang ylang.

One hour: This is still intense, although the floral has died back some. It is a penetrating dark blend with some bite that's probably the myrrh. I like it very much but it may be too strong for me: I have a bit of a headache now. Sometimes strong musk does that to me, so maybe that's what it is.

Two and a half hours: I love the scent that is wafting around my head now. It's still dark and strong, but it has sweetened just a touch. I think it's more patchouli now, or something. Only now is this scent beginning to say "lust" to me; up until now it's been more like "mugging." It seems too strong for daily or most daytime uses, though. Definitely a scent for nighttime.

In the imp:Old wood, patchouoli, and cherries(?). Or something else, cloyingly sweet. I hate patchouli. It's strong, and smells dirty on me. But I'll try this anyway because of the sweet note.

After 5 minutes:No sweetness. Just patchouli and a bit of rotting wood. And patchouli amps on me, makes me 'feel' dirty. And not in a lustful, sexy way. But, like I haven't showered. My roommate walked by my room and made a crinkly face and said it smelled bad in my room. And I wasn't offended because I agreed with her. I had to take another shower the day I tried this.

Overall: I did not like this at all. My skin chemistry can't do the notes in this one. If people comment on how bad you smell, AND you agree with them, then it's obviously not for you.

In the imp this is BAM PATCHOULI. Getting a little myrrh and musk, but no ylang ylang. It's rare for me to find a patchouli that works on me (I <3 Clemence), and unless the patchouli can take a backseat on my skin, I don't think this is gonna be one of the times it works for me.

On my skin...yeah...patchouli. *le sigh* Way too dirty hippy to be sexy on me! I am gonna let this sit for a bit, but I don't think it's gonna work.

After dry down, this was still almost straight patchouli on me. Not what I was hoping for at all. :P

I must say, this smells great on me! It is something like Sherezade, but a bit fainter with a bit of mme. Moriarty thrown in for good measure. I'm not good at notes, but I do like patchouli and red musk as long as it's not too strong. I get a bit of myrrh, but I don't get ylang ylang. I know I do like yy, though, so all the notes I love are here, and I must say that I'm enjoying a little Lust right now! I only wish it had better throw.

I've always been a HUGE fan of patchouli and this is no exception. This one is for patchouli fans who are looking for a variety that isn't "dirty hippie", but more like "cleaned up, hiding my hippie-ness" if that makes sense. If hubby didn't hate patchouli, I would wear this every day.

musk with myrrh underneath; drying: this is kinda dirty, starting of a ylang hlang and dirty musk and then moves to a warmer myrrh & dirty musk dirty, interestingly the patchouli is in the background

bit later it is just musk

In the vial: Very strong, and not "sexy" at all really like I have expected it to be. It's got a sharp bite and I can detect the myrrh and ylang ylang in it.

On me (dry): Applied to wrists. Bleh. I don't really like how this is turning out. It's very "woodsy", reminds me of the smell of pine trees. On fire maybe. There are musky undertones... and there is something very "potpourri" about this scent. I don't find it at all sexy right now. It makes me think of walking into a hippie's house. We'll see how it turns out after a couple of hours on my skin. It's very strong and irritating.

After a while: A couple hours later, it has worn off to a very beautiful, soft, Christmas-like scent. It's warm and spicy... and I like it MUCH better now than I did when first applying it. I find this scent calming, but not quite intoxicating or sensual like the name suggests it should be. It's more cinnamon that anything now, and I keep picking up that initial whiff of pine as well.

Verdict: 7/10. Not bad after the scent settles on me. It'd score higher if it weren't so aggravating at the initial application. And again - not what I would describe as "Lust"... if I could give it a name it would be something to the effect of "Peace" or perhaps even "Mistletoe" :P I'm just reminded of the holidays when I wear this.

Edited by Babel

Ylang ylang and I are still apparently feuding. I thought we could put our petty differences aside, for the sake of patchouli and myrrh, and especially red musk (she's never been anything but good to me, that one). I guess I was mistaken. Especially about red musk. That bitch totally sided with ylang ylang here. The result was a cloying, in your throat thickness that I just couldn't get past. Patchouli and myrrh tried valiantly to subdue the other two, but in the end, the ylang ylang/red musk alliance was just too strong-willed. I had to wash this off.

Red musk is hit or miss with me depending on my monthly chemistry. Sometimes Scherezade smells amaing, sometimes meh. This one is at a meh point, but I can't tell if it's the timing of when I'm trying it. Some sweet ylang ylang in there also. Nice...but meh. I'll hold onto it and try again later.

Edit: tried a different imp that I was frimped. I like this much better! Stronger red musk and patchouli.

Edited by rayvn1

In bottle: it’s weirdly attractive much in the way hunger is. The musk is a little heavy for my taste and the patchouli a little strong, but the ylang ylang and myrrh create a pleasant balance. It is not subtle as far as the sexy goes, but that’s understandable. Wet: The musk is softer tan expected and the ylang ylang comes into its own. Dry: incense tinged musk. I’m a little startled, I’d given up on red musk, but this actually works on me.

This is very thick, sweet, and almost syrup-like in smell. It reminds me of molasses being poured. The sweetness is a bit overwhelming at first, but the scent dries down to a sexy skin-like scent. Mmmm!

In the Imp: Very strong red musk, although upon further inhalation the patchouli is second, followed by ylang ylang, and the myrrh isn't really distinguishable to me.. perhaps it's just blending all the notes together.

Wet: Pretty much the same, though the myrrh comes out more making it slightly smokey.

Drying down: This is really lovely! I'm not usually a big patchouli fan (no real prejudice, it just tends to smell like a B.O. note on me) but in this blend the ylang ylang blends sooo nice with it. I get absolutely no dirty hippie vibe from it. It's a red musk/ sweet smokey floral blend.

While not my personal favorite (like Dorian and Lilith) this one was the boyfriend's favorite, by far. To me, it smells good, but not really sexy. Maybe it's because all I can think of is "head shop" when I wear it, but it does merit a reaction from the man, so I can attest to that. Also, this scent seems to have more throw than other scents I've tried, a little bit goes an even longer way with Lust.

Edited by TilHelvete

There was a BPAL package in my mail box today. :joy:

I gleefully ripped it open and was immediately greeted by a very unpleasant aroma. :nervous:

I was a little surprised; none of the bottles I ordered should have smelled like that. It was a sickening sort of scent that reminded me of red musk and smelled a lot like Satyr, both of which turn my stomach. The Lab had generously gifted me with several frimps, and I hurriedly rifled through them to find the source of the stench. I spied two with that tell-tale red musk coloration: Loviatar and Lust. I'd tried Loviatar in the past and while I didn't like it, I didn't remember it being this foul. I picked up the imp of Lust and tentatively sniffed it...

...and almost lost my lunch. :sick: Even with the cap still on, the pungent combination of red musk and civet was too much to bear. A cloying sweetness overlaying a sweaty funk... grape incense covering up the scent of unwashed bodies and animal excrement wafting around a headshop... oh god. :ack: I feel bad writing such a negative review without even doing a skin test, but I can't even bear to have the imp in the same room with me. I'm actually considering throwing away the imp just so I'll never have to touch it or smell it again.

I should qualify that I am a red musk hater, and ylang-ylang and civet are not my friends, either. If you enjoy strong red musk scents (e.g., Scherezade, Sin, Snake Oil, Vixen) or nag champa incense, or if you like the civet-y aroma of Satyr, I would encourage you to try this.

I do so wish I got the super-sexy vibe so many of you seem to get!

Edit:

My husband also hates this one. I left the imp in my home office this morning while I went to work for the day. When I saw my husband in the evening, I mentioned that I had gotten a particularly nasty imp that was so strong that I couldn't be in the same room with it. He said he thought he smelled something unpleasant throughout the whole house today. I asked him if it smelled like hippies, and he nodded grimly and said, "Wet hippies." :lol:

Edited by Apple

This was a bonus imp with one of my orders. I'd glanced over the listing before and was shocked when I sniffed it. In the imp it's this dark, luscious, and simply delicious scent. It's a bit musky, but that scent is tempered out when it dries on my skin, and then it simply smells, well... lusty and sexy. It's dark and musky but without being masculine.

Initially this was mostly ylang ylang tempered by red musk. Once it's on though the ylang ylang calms down and the red musk and patchouli comes out (though it's not dirty smelling, not that I would've minded :lol:). The myrrh is in the back ground and I think is what is going slightly powdery (in a good way).

This is a beautiful blend and not as much sexy as sensual on me. I really like this and I'm so happy I didn't let the ylang ylang scare me off. :)

In the vial: Earthy and sweet.

On skin: Wow, I think this is the patchouli-est BPAL I've tried yet. It's not dirty patchouli, though. It reminds me very much of The Caterpillar.

It keeps getting sweeter. I forget what all is in this -- honey? maybe some musk? Something floral, but what the hell is it? Oh, ylang ylang. That totally explains it. I'm not picking up on the myrrh but that's not a big surprise since it also seems to blend seamlessly with ylang and patchouli for me in Hetairae, and this is like Hetairae with red musk.

The big surprise for me is that Lust has red musk, The Note Of Doom, and I couldn't even detect it. That's a minor miracle. This is luscious, and those who like Hetairae or The Caterpillar should enjoy it big time. I liked learning definitively that patchouli is a BPAL note that really gets along with me and plays sweet and smooth.

Bottle: Odd and a little sour. Probably the ylang ylang and my nose chemistry clashing.

Wet: Dark and earthy. The patchouli is definitely the dominant note and I get a bit of a peppery bite from the red musk. Touch of myrrh resin. None of the dread pirate ylang ylang.

Dry: Lust certainly lives up to its name. The red musk/patchouli combo is dead sexy and earthy and sensual without being too aggressively headshoppy or generally dirty. The ylang ylang adds a bit of interesting sweetness and slight floral. The myrrh winds through the whole scent giving it this sexy, spicy, earth goddess vibe. I've been reading a lot of tarot theory lately and this reminds me of the Empress card--sensual, robust, sexual and very enveloping and comforting. I don't think it's necessarily a raw, flat out sexual scent so much as it is the scent of seduction--all the acts and thoughts and desires that happen before the sex happens. However, seeing how much I've typed "sex" "sexual" "sensual" and so on in the last paragraph definitely tells you where this scent takes my brain. It's a sexy, sexy blend.

Throw: Good.

Overall: This is such a perfect blend. Dark, earthy, sensual, and flat out sexy. A great scent for nights out at the bar and definitely a scent to wear when you're on the prowl. One of those blends that epitomizes the all out BPAL scent experience as opposed to just spritzing something on before you waltz out for the day and forget you're even wearing it.

So, I think I hate myrrh. Something about it reeks of mildewy basement to me. I dunno. I could be crazy. So When I sniffed Lust from the vial, all I got was wet basement. Not lusty at all. Very skeptical.

On skin, patchouli pops out. Thank heavens. I love patchouli, I'm a patchouli nut. A crunchy hippy, love for my patchouli. This isn't the patchouli in depraved though- that one is very twiggy. This one is the /perfect/ patchouli. People say myrrh has a sweetness (the scent confuses me, to be honest) so I think myrrh could possibly be adding a touch of sweet to this patchouli.

But really? The winner is this red musk. It's adding something that just is winning me over. A full bodied, almost incensey vibe. But not dusty or powdery kind of incense, but actually that perfection of incense. This is Yellow Springs, Ohio. XD The hippy town of the area. Makes me think of buying herbal supplies and candles and puzzles and books. Street fairs. Oh, and dreads. Cause I sat for hours in my sisters house one evening helping her backcomb her hair into dreads, with some amazingly perfect scent going on. I think it was a mix of something cooking, incense, then this fruity mist stuff we sprayed on her dreads to help them knot.

Now if you're aghast at hippies, or dislike patchouli.. then this probably isn't for you. This is, to me, almost an iconic scent for crunchy.

Now, I frighteningly wait and sit to see if ylang ylang is something that will pull a jasmine on me and turn into OMG FLORAL all over the place. I've no idea what it smells like, should smell like, or will do on my skin. o_o So far? Sweet patchouli, full bodied red musk, and a touch of something sweet.

Not something I'd sniff and say "oh let's do it". Yet it's relaxing. Maybe the boy will find it arousing?

I just got this as a frimp with my Lilith blends and :wub2: OMG!! How did I not try this before? MUST get a big bottle of this as it will be a staple for me. The patchouli and musk stand out in this blend and are just divine and totally sexy!!! LOVE it and am So happy this is a GC!!!!! :joy:

ETA- I've been reading through the reviews of this and find it SO funny that alot of people associate this scent with headshops and hippies..because that is SO me! :blush: No wonder I love this scent... I walk into a headshop and think its the most divine smell ever...

Edited by Sammy

In the vial: A spicy, incense-laden red musk—so I'd guess red musk, patchouli, and myrrh. No hint of ylang ylang, yet.

On me: The patchouli is a little harsh upon application but it smooths out during drydown. The initial phase of Lust is an incredible rich, spicy, warm red scent, glowing with the sweetish resin of myrrh but staring the breathtaking blend of red musk and patchouli, which together are spicy and dark, many-layered and sensuous and oh so beautiful. Nearing an hour into weartime, however, the ylang ylang finally makes an appearance: it's a sweet, thick, heady tropical floral. Red musk still adds depth and patchouli a bit of darkness, but the ylang ylang grows a bit too strong, sometimes overshadowing all other notes. It's still quite beautiful, but not as much to my taste. Scent-color is dark red morphing into a rosy gold. Throw is moderate to low, wear length moderate to high.

Verdict: I'm not a fan of many florals, but ylang ylang is one of my sometimes-exceptions—and so it's not unpleasant for it to pop its head up in this blend. Still, I already have some lovely ylang ylang scents; moreover I absolutely adore the spicy red musk of this scent in its first hour and I'm heartbroken to see it pushed aside. I'm not quite sure what to do with Lust—it's beautiful to be sure, but not quite what I wanted. I imagine I'll trade away my imp eventually, but I'll hang onto it for a bit before I decide.

In the imp: Woody. And heavily musky.

Wet: Smoky? Still heavy musk, a slight trace of ylang ylang.

Dry: Smoky and languid. The ylang ylang is coming out to play and the patchouli is bordering on being temperamental. The red musk is giving this an overall "boudoir" feel.

A while later: The patchouli and the myrh have blended to give an overal smoky feel to this. The red musk and ylang ylang ae creating a very seductive and firm feminine scent that says "You. Here. Now." Very bold! A bit bold for general use for me.

Too heady and incensey for my taste, but one if my favorite scents in that genre. I think the red musk is a sensual note that may work even for those of us who usually shy away from musk notes...

Edited by SugarCookie

in the imp: Hmm, this is probably going to be too musky for my taste, but there's some alluring undertones here.

on: Instant, overpowering, choking musk. Stinks to high heaven, even after showering and scrubbing at it. And that was how I learned to stay far away from anything with red musk in it.