Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vicious Mistress

Astrology Recommendations

I am a Leo and I can't believe all the Leos haven't come rampaging over yet, to carry out about being a sun sign. What, Leos, carrying on about themselves? ;)

Anyway, on others, I tend to like dark, earthy scents (vetiver, patchouli), leather, tobacco, chocolate and musk. I also like vanilla. And some green scents, but moreso when they are combined with earthy scents. Generally, really warm-to-hot scents, like cinnamon and ginger aren't my favorites unless they're mellowed with something. I think it depends on how much fire is in your sun sign person, but the really "hot" scents tend to make me wince. I'm not big on aquatics, on me or anyone else.

:P :D

ya know ms. valentina the scents you just described in the first part of your post are the darker, evil gem twin that lurks inside me...

but i do adore "hot'n'spicy" scents as well...and certain deep, dark aquatics are my

friend too...that is my "other side"...cuz we are all about the duality baby...

duality :D :)

Ooh good to know! You know it's interesting because I like the darker blends too but I'm pretty typical Cancer. Although I think that ties in with my moodiness because I also like light, sweet scents. On others I tend to like complex blends with vanilla-especially on guys!

Jessie, here's the thread about astrological signs and favorite scents. It's in BPAL Chatter, not Recs, although it did pop right up with a search of the whole forum for "sign."

I remember putting some thought into this topic (I may or may not have posted, I don't recall) - I'm a Virgo, so you'd think I'd love earthy stuff. But it took me forever to develop an appreciation for patchouli and there are only one or two blends that I like that have Beth's "soil" note in them. I do love patchouli and resins now, but until BPAL I was all about light musk and girly florals. And one of my best BPAL buddies is also a Virgo, but there are tons of blends that she loves that smell anywhere from unremarkable to downright nasty on me, and vice versa.

Personally, I think that planetary influences are either far enough removed from us physically or not concerned with such minute detail that they aren't going to affect our scent preferences or the notes that work on us. Every birth chart is going to be unique (until you meet that person who was born at the exact same minute as you in the same hospital as you, of course :P ), which illustrates the many, many elements that make you the unique Gemini, Cancer, Virgo, etc that you are. So it seems to me that identifying just one scent family or group of notes for each sign, and expecting everyone born under that sign to like it, would be impossible.

general feel for what a Gemini would hypothetically be attracted to.

Anything that might smell 'glittery'. Or interesting. And possibly floral. But if no florals, than definitely interesting, something with layers that doesn't smell like anything else...

Oro

Yeah, in big generalizations, I'd say Oro is right--the thing about Gemini is that there is a love of change and the unexpected; so something that morphed, that had unexpected nuances, would be nice.

But...you might want to find out more about your Gemini's chart (cause I suspect our scent preferences have lots to do with lots of things: Saturn (what we need for security); Venus (what makes us feel loved); Mars (what ignites our passions); Moon (what speaks to our inner self)...and so on.

Uh, did someone say Leo - I'm a Leo, double Leo - Jarvenpa told me :P I like dark resiny scents, nothing really spicy, but resins and woods and dark florals. I like vanilla, I even do foody, but resins and woods are really my thing. Oh, I like patchouli and dirt notes, leather, smoke and tobacco. I like very dramatic sort of scents.

Yeah, in big generalizations, I'd say Oro is right--the thing about Gemini is that there is a love of change and the unexpected; so something that morphed, that had unexpected nuances, would be nice.

But...you might want to find out more about your Gemini's chart (cause I suspect our scent preferences have lots to do with lots of things: Saturn (what we need for security); Venus (what makes us feel loved); Mars (what ignites our passions); Moon (what speaks to our inner self)...and so on.

this gemini is inclined to say that what would attract me is a different scent every day. it would intrigue me and keep me interested. it's part of what attracts me to bpal overall, the sheer variety to play with.

Jessie, here's the thread about astrological signs and favorite scents. It's in BPAL Chatter, not Recs, although it did pop right up with a search of the whole forum for "sign."

I remember putting some thought into this topic (I may or may not have posted, I don't recall) - I'm a Virgo, so you'd think I'd love earthy stuff. But it took me forever to develop an appreciation for patchouli and there are only one or two blends that I like that have Beth's "soil" note in them. I do love patchouli and resins now, but until BPAL I was all about light musk and girly florals. And one of my best BPAL buddies is also a Virgo, but there are tons of blends that she loves that smell anywhere from unremarkable to downright nasty on me, and vice versa.

Personally, I think that planetary influences are either far enough removed from us physically or not concerned with such minute detail that they aren't going to affect our scent preferences or the notes that work on us. Every birth chart is going to be unique (until you meet that person who was born at the exact same minute as you in the same hospital as you, of course :P ), which illustrates the many, many elements that make you the unique Gemini, Cancer, Virgo, etc that you are. So it seems to me that identifying just one scent family or group of notes for each sign, and expecting everyone born under that sign to like it, would be impossible.

Thanks ivyandpeony! That's exactly the thread I was talking about. Does this need to be moved then?

I disagree that scent preference is a minute detail. I consider my sense of smell to be one of my most important senses and I think the effect it has on us is very interesting. I think what I'm looking for is a more general attraction to elements rather than specific scents, totally irrelevant of skin chemistry. A lot of what we like/dislike is shaped by our experiences and genetic makeup but the same can be said for our personalities. Wouldn't it then also be possible that our birth chart could also give clues to what our noses would like? I'm not saying that everyone born under say, Cancer should be expected to like foodie scents but it would be safe to say that Cancers (in general) would be more attracted to comforting scents that remind them of familar things. That's what I'm trying to get.

What I'm looking for in reference to this particular Gemini is an idea of what would catch his eye (or nose in this case). For instance, if he was a more romantic type I'd go for a more traditional, floral, feminine blend. Since it seems Geminis like change and variety, I should probably go a bit more unconventional and change it up whenever I can.

this gemini is inclined to say that what would attract me is a different scent every day. it would intrigue me and keep me interested. it's part of what attracts me to bpal overall, the sheer variety to play with.

Ditto. I do love the morphing scents, and ones that have a lot of complexity - that don't necessarily morph, but that are multi layered, so that each time I bring my wrist to my nose, I get something just a little different.

I do not like light florals or "sparkly" scents, though, for the most part. Except when I do (because I'm a Gemini, dammit! ;-)

What I'm looking for in reference to this particular Gemini is an idea of what would catch his eye (or nose in this case). For instance, if he was a more romantic type I'd go for a more traditional, floral, feminine blend. Since it seems Geminis like change and variety, I should probably go a bit more unconventional and change it up whenever I can.

If that isn't an excellent excuse for hoarding a ton of BPAL, I don't know what is :P

Thought I would bump this - the title is different because there actually was an existing astrology thread here in recommendations. I merged the more recent thread with it rather than merging it with the one in BPAL Chatter.

Feel free to carry on your discussion! :P

Well... I actually found a website that had fragrances by what your element is, although not specific zodiac sign.

http://www.lotuspress.com/auroma/fragrAstro.htm

I'm Scorpio sun, Scorpio moon, and Libra rising. I'm still sort of a newbie when it comes to fragrances... I only wore one fragrance in high school but then I discovered Bath and Body Works and then BPAL. My favorite BPALs are Queen Mab, Phantom Queen, Moonrose and Peresphone. My favorite stuff from B&BWs is Cotton Blossom, Japanese Cherry Blossom, White Cherry Blossom, Moonlight Path, Pomegranate Martini, and Exotic Coconut.

I think my preferences definitely dip into the "water sign" fragance list more so than the others. I do have a bit of Capricorn and Sagittarius in my chart too.

that's interesting... I'm a Cancer, moon in Aries and Aquarius ascendant, so I've basically got everything but Earth in my chart, but my fragrance likes seem to be all over the map. I like resins but hate woods; I like amber in moderation, but I absolutely loathe cinnamon and almond; and vanilla (the underrepresented element) is something I'm quite drawn to. I've always associated resins with earth rather than air -- there's something wonderfully grounding about them, myrrh to me is like being wrapped in a blanket rather than feeling floaty or airy or off the ground. I'm not sure what to think.

maybe i should start trying more florals... :P

How do you know what Tarot card relates to your astrological info?

Hermit - Virgo

Well that explains everything right there. <g>

new to BPAL, have one TAL on the way, but trying to narrow down what scents to try first.

Sun in Taurus, Moon in Libra • Ascendant in Virgo, Mercury in the Ninth House • Moon in the Second House • Sun in the Tenth House • Venus in the Tenth House • Saturn in the Twelfth House

I LOVE spicy scents and orientals, not a big fan of florals and overly sweet scents

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thanks ivyandpeony for merging the threads. :P

new to BPAL, have one TAL on the way, but trying to narrow down what scents to try first.

Sun in Taurus, Moon in Libra • Ascendant in Virgo, Mercury in the Ninth House • Moon in the Second House • Sun in the Tenth House • Venus in the Tenth House • Saturn in the Twelfth House

I LOVE spicy scents and orientals, not a big fan of florals and overly sweet scents

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I think we're still trying to determine whether scents can be related to our signs but you might want to try Shub-Niggurath in the Springtime in Arkham series. It's spicy!

Were the astrological sign fragrances a limited edition? I can't find them on the BPAL site.

Could anyone recommend fragrances for a Sagittarius with a Libra moon?

Thanks.

According to them:

Woody and resin fragrances relate to the air signs.

Floral fragrances relate to the water signs.

Spicy and exotic fragrances relate to the fire signs.

Rich and earthy fragrances relate to the earth signs.

Woah :P That's rather scarily accurate for me! I'm an Aries with the moon in Capricorn and Aries ascending. The rest of my chart contains some more fire, a heap of air (mainly Gemini), a smattering of earth and no water signs at all. I'm all about the woods, resins, incense and spice, and I like earthy scents ok. I do not do florals (with very few exceptions) or aquatics at all.

Hmmm.. where would fruity scents go I wonder? *leaves that question to those with far more knowledge than I*

Were the astrological sign fragrances a limited edition? I can't find them on the BPAL site.

Could anyone recommend fragrances for a Sagittarius with a Libra moon?

Thanks.

Sorry, I cannot help you with a scent you're looking for but every month with a Moon update Beth adds one astrological scent (she did it before my time with BPAL and now she does it again but the scents are new, not exactly same). Last update (REd Moon) we had a chance to order Leo, next is Virgo and so on. So, just wait for Sagittarius :P

HTH

my sun is in aries and moon/rising in capricorn. venus is in aries and mars is in cancer.

my chart is mostly firey, and the other elements are pretty balanced. i tend to like spicy florals and 'floral-orientals' the best. however, straight spicy scents don't really do much for me. i like a lot of florals especially rose, carnation and violet, but tend to dislike most of the white florals. i love coconut, amber, incense, and citrus.

i don't really like most aquatics, foody scents or super-earthy scents. bpal's aries didn't work on me, but i quite like mars with the orchid it has.

According to them:

Woody and resin fragrances relate to the air signs.

Floral fragrances relate to the water signs.

Spicy and exotic fragrances relate to the fire signs.

Rich and earthy fragrances relate to the earth signs.

Yeah, see I'm a Cancer with Gemini Moon and Libra rising. I fit my chart very well (where I don't match Cancer, the Gemini takes over), and with very few exceptions (rose or violet in certain blends) I HATE florals. I fit every other group of fragrances except the water signs. *sigh* I'm a weird one. I guess my sense of smell is another place where my Gemini takes over.

Let's see... My theory is.. Does that sound, in any way, accurate?

Air Signs

Libra, Aquarius, Gemini: Cool, aloof, intelligent, stylish, and adaptable blends. Perhaps musks, ozone, smoke, and citrus for a little bit of quirk.

Fire Signs

Aries, Sagittarius, Leo: Bold, spicy, masculine, and exotic type blends. Perhaps spices, and strong musks.

Water Signs

Scorpio (me), Pisces, Cancer: Sweet, warm, comforting type blends. Perhaps florals, candy like, warm, milky & sweet.

Earth Signs

Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn: Strong, stylish, earthy, refined type blends. Perhaps resins, earth, florals.

Edited by macabre_fae