Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vicious Mistress

Astrology Recommendations

Well, instead of further hijacking another thread, I thought I'd start my own. I'm intrigued with the thought of having scents recommended for you based on your astrology info. I'm trying to find my signature scent now, since I love so many but haven't found anything that's exactly 'me'. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me, or show me where to look, for scents recommended for my info.

I was born 02/14/1975, and I *think* I'm an aquarius sun, libra rising, but I'm not sure of my moon. Any help there would be great too.

Thanks!

Well, as I am an Aquarius Sun, Libra Rising person (try www.astro.com to find your moon sign and all the other ones...) it'd be interesting to see if we have similar tastes.

I'd say...definitely go for The Star, and try Venus, Libra's ruling planet and the Raven.

Definitely try air-themed scents. I've never tried Aquarius itself.

I find I can't do too heavy scents or they sour on me. Florals, spicy, light, sparkly, kind of the pretty aesthetic of Libra with the slightly screwball oddity of Aquarius is my style.

Well, as I am an Aquarius Sun, Libra Rising person (try www.astro.com to find your moon sign and all the other ones...) it'd be interesting to see if we have similar tastes.

I'd say...definitely go for The Star, and try Venus, Libra's ruling planet and the Raven. 

Definitely try air-themed scents.  I've never tried Aquarius itself.

I find I can't do too heavy scents or they sour on me.  Florals, spicy, light, sparkly, kind of the pretty aesthetic of Libra with the slightly screwball oddity of Aquarius is my style.

How do you know what Tarot card relates to your astrological info?

I second the Venus suggestion.........it's gorgeous. I am a sun in Libra, Virgo rising and Sagittarius moon. I just ordered 5 mls of Venus, Virgo, Sagittarius, Jupiter and Mercury after trying the imps. I LOVE Venus. It is very goddess like!

So, uh. Sun in Taurus, Moon and rising Libra...Venus all the way, huh! I'll probably try Mars sometime...I have 2 in Aries.

How do you know what Tarot card relates to your astrological info?

Generally, I find out by looking in my tarot book...:P but, here's a list I copied from this site: http://www.supertarot.co.uk/lessons/01basic.htm

I'm not sure if any of these are debatable in different schools of Tarot, I'm by no means anything more than a dabbler. Mayhaps whatever Elizabeth subscribes to could go on the tarot page or on the faq? I'm not sure if that'd be helpful or not.

Anyhoo.

Fool - Air or Uranus

Magician - Mercury

High Priestess - Moon

Empress - Venus

Emperor - Aries

Hierophant - Taurus

Lovers - Gemini

Chariot - Cancer

Strength/Lust - Leo

Hermit - Virgo

Fortune - Jupiter

Justice - Libra

Hanged Man - Water or Neptune

Death - Scorpio

Art/Temperance - Sagittarius

Devil - Capricorn

Tower - Mars

Star - Aquarius

Moon - Pisces

Sun - Sun

Aeon/Judgment - Fire or Pluto

Universe/World - Saturn or Earth

Hhmmm, it seems my moon is in Aries. That makes so much sense, now that I think about it. And I was really drawn to Aries and Libra, moreso than I was drawn to Aquarius, my sun sign. I wonder why? Then again, I am finding I like things from Beth that I don't like on my own--for example, patchouli. :P

Interesting website, thanks!

Before Beth got Crazy Busy, she told me she was exploring this theory that a person's moon sign has a lot to do with the scents they like.

Due to this comment, I ordered Sagittarius. my moon sign, Libra (my sun sign), Virgo (my rising sign), as well as Venus, Jupiter and Mercury (I think those are the correct planets). Anyway, I think her theory may be pretty true, cuz I LOVE Sagittarius as much as I like Libra and Venus!!! Also, Sagittarius is a bit spicy and deep, but light enough to wear in the warmer weather which is perfect for me. Since I'm so much like my astrolgoical and planetary scents, I want to explore the Tarots next. Ouch to the wallet again.

hmm, interesting, lorajc.

a tarot reading last night implied that should i want to resolve a current situation to my liking, i should be paying more mind to the fiery aspects of my nature (ace, two, queen of wands all in significant spots). prior to a year or so ago, much of my work DID emphasize fire and its associations, so much so that i went on a conscious "sabbatical" from it, if that makes sense.

but maybe in my quest for balance i've over-tipped the scales a bit. (was i just struggling to feel slightly more feminine? heh. possibly. ah, ego weakness...)

i mention all of this as my moon is in aries, and i definitely thrill to bpal's "inferno" and abramelin, generally. i'm faintly obsessed with what, exactly, the tarot aces oils smell like...

best

eve

How do you find out what your moon sign is? My birthday is September 9, 1978. I guess that makes me a virgo, but I've never really identified that much with it.

You can go to www.astro.com and you'll need your time of birth also. You can print out a chart that tells how the planets were aligned at your time of birth. My reading was quite accurate..........a bit scary!!!

It is an interesting point. My sun sign is Taurus, but I dislike earthy/rosey scents so much I'm not too keen to try it. Libra (rising sign) was ok, but just that. I have moon in Sagittarius as well, so i'd be interested in how that works out for me.

this is interesting,

my three major signs (sun, moon, rising) are all considered "male" signs. I'm a leo with an Aries moon and Gemini rising. So wearing male scents is nothing peculiar.

the interesting thing is that I've always been attracted more to those florals like sweet pea, jasmine and orange blossom, and light-ish orientals (floral and spice with some wood, I'm mad about rosewood), but on the other hand fresh scents like verbena, mint, lemongrass and gingerroot are huge faves of mine.

fruity scents don't attract me, and especially I can't stand heavy earthy stuff like vetiver and patchouli.

what are the typical scents for an Aries?

or is the Gemini rising responsible for this olfactory split personality? :P

According to the Celestials listed ...Aires is black pepper, frankincense and ginger. MMMMMM that sounds good to me. You say you like spicy, so I bet you'd like this one.

According to the Celestials listed ...Aires is black pepper, frankincense and ginger.  MMMMMM that sounds good to me.  You say you like spicy, so I bet you'd like this one.

I'm looking at that one too, since I'm also an Aries moon.

I got Taurus and Aries w/my first order. (as I said above, Mercury and Venus in Aries, sun in Taurus) I didn't like either of them. Aries was cause I really don't like sweet stuff, and for some reason, anything at all sweet goes completely sweet on me.

Taurus was....odd. I don't really remember it, But I remember intensely disliking it. It may have been too green with the dirty? I don't know.

But I think I may order Libra or Venus next time. Venus sounds like it'll be great on me, even if I don't like it that much, and Libra might be ok, though I seem to remember it having musk.

But I think I may order Libra or Venus next time. Venus sounds like it'll be great on me, even if I don't like it that much, and Libra might be ok, though I seem to remember it having musk.

Venus is just... GORGEOUS. Seriously, it is one of the most exquisite fragrances I have ever smelled.

I've got Gemini all over the place. Sun, moon, mercury, venus, mars! and my rising sign is Leo. I think I may be a little over geminied.

Have any of you tried experimenting with something that is quite the opposite of what you're sign says you are? If so, what might be the opposite of Gemini? Capricorn?

Me, I've got Scorpio and 10th House galore. Sun, Venus and Mars all in Scorpio and all those plus Uranus in the 10th housel So needless to say, I'm dying to try Scorpio ..even without knowing what's in it.

Any other suggestions?

Before Beth got Crazy Busy, she told me she was exploring this theory that a person's moon sign has a lot to do with the scents they like. 

I think there's something to this theory... my Moon's in Capricorn, and I'm definitely attracted to deep, brooding scents. BUT my moon is in my 7th house (the "Libra" house) so they've got to be PRETTY deep brooding scents.

I would think a person's Venus placement would also influence scent preferences, since Venus shows us what we are attracted to aesthetically... my Venus is in Aries, and I do also like scents that scream "SMELL ME! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!" But since my Venus is in the 10th house (the "Capricorn" house), again, there's that draw to the deep and brooding.

I did find a website while looking into this, as I got curious and bored at work. (Imagine that!)

Astrology of Fragrance

I'm a Scorpio Sun, Aries Moon, and Saggitarius Rising .. so according to that site, I should be most attracted to the Fire and Water assosiacted scents .. and from their little list, I'd say that's about right. Hmm.

According to them:

Woody and resin fragrances relate to the air signs.

Floral fragrances relate to the water signs.

Spicy and exotic fragrances relate to the fire signs.

Rich and earthy fragrances relate to the earth signs.

Fire (Aries, Leo and Sagittarius)

Earth (Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn)

Air (Gemini, Libra and Aquarius)

Water (Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces)

Hmmm... no wonder I have such a thing for amber and cinnamon. I am pretty light on water signs, so that may explain the general apathey about florals.

strange. But very true. I think I believe the moon sign thing myself...

I had a working hypothesis that we're drawn to what we lack. So if you have all kinds of fire in your chart, you'd want air types of scents to balance you out, for example.

Just another way to look at it.

I have always though that the "we want what we lack" theory had a lot to it. My chart is way unbalanced--one outer planet in fire, only my ASC and an outer planet in water, a Taurus sun and Mars, and just about everything else in Gemini or Libra. I had applied the "we want what we lack" theory to my friends and the people I love--all water, baby, all water (Cancer, more often than not)...however, when I went to astro.com and added in some celestial bodies often associated with love and sexuality (Lilith, Psyche, Eros, the vertex, etc.) guess what--they were all in water signs!

This is a tricky question, because there are so many possibilities that could make sense:

1. You like scents based on your sun sign because that is your basic nature.

2. You like scents based on your moon sign because that is your emotional nature, and the sense of smell, and what is triggers, is connected to the emotional and subconscious realms.

3. You like scents based on your Ascendant or the chart ruler because scent is concerned with presentation, much like the ASC.

4. You like scents based on your Venus placement, because Venus is concerned with aesthetics.

5. You are drawn to scents that are connected with elements you lack in your chart, following the "we want what we lack" theory.

6. You are drawn to scents that are connected with your Eros, Lilith, Psyche, etc., because...well, I'm not entirely sure. :P

Myself

1. Taurus sun--I should be drawn to earthy scents like vanilla, rosemary, patchouli, lavender...well, I do adore vanilla scents (one of my favorite commercial perfumes is tonka bean and vanilla bean based). I'm assuming that my love for leathery scents could be pegged here as well.

2. Libra moon--I should be drawn to resins and woody fragrances...the link provided by TygherRayn lists frankincense, myrrh, pine, cedar and sandalwood as scents that appeal to the Air element, and wouldn't you know, my wishlist has enough myrrh and frankincense on it to make the Wise Men go :D .

3. Scorpio ASC, so Pluto and Mars have co-rulership in my chart...now some of my favorite commercial perfumes feature orange blossom, rose and jasmine, combined with vanilla (there's the Earth again). Then there's my favorite commerical perfume, Chanel No. 5, which has florals, patchouli (earth) and amber (fire element scent).

4. Gemini venus--see Moon, I guess.

5. "what we lack"--this means I should be drawn to fire and water, so see #3.

6. These bodies, for me, are all in water signs, so I guess see #3 again.

This is very funny, because intuitively, I thought that it was the Scorpio in me that was drawn to the myrrh and the frankincense, and all that, but apparently that's the Air in me. I'm also somewhat amused by the fact that I am all out of balance in favor of air, but the notes that compose the three commericial perfumes that I use regularly belong in the Earth, Fire and Water categories.

I guess this means that up until now, I have been drawn to scents that fit 1, 3,5 & 6. However, my "I want to buy THAT" sense goes up everytime I read about a BPAL scent with myrrh and frankincense, so that fits with categories 4 & 6.

So, I can justify all categories? This seems to indicate that the theory needs some refining... :D It also makes the theory less than helpful for recs, doesn't it? Perhaps more specificity is in order...which floral notes appeal to which types of water signs? I like deep, dark florals, but I don't like light floral perfumes at all. I have two planets in Gemini and four in Libra, but on the linked Air list, only frankincense and myrrh appeal to me; I despise both pine and cedar.

Man, this is going to involve a spreadsheet, isn't it? :D