Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

In Bottle: Very dark, very thick, bittersweet. There's a lot going on here, but it's not at all what I was expecting from the description.

On Skin: The first time I wore this, one of my co-workers asked if someone was burning a candle. It smells like late Autumn from a distance, but up close it's like someone burned the brownies just a little bit, then poured toffee over top and served it with a cup of coffee. It's not bakery-fresh on me, it's darker & nuttier than that. I think this bottle might be hazelnut-heavy.

The throw for Gluttony is stronger than any other blend I've tried. My normal application is a dab from the cap on a 5ml, or several passes with the wand from an imp. The imp gave me a lot, but it was just enough. The dab from the 5ml was WAY too potent for my liking.

All together, my last try with this one was too overwhelming and scared me off for a while. I need to find a better method of application as a little bit goes a very long way.

There is chocolate in this, but if you're looking for a chocolate blend, I like The Candy Butcher better. Though I've never tried it, I hear Bliss is nice as well.

Hmm....this is an odd scent for me. I was expecting NOT to like it, actually.

I ordered it in an odd mood....one in which I suddenly thought that cloying smells might be a good thing for me.

And well, it hasn't turned out so badly for all that. This is one of those oils that will be *just the thing* on some days, while making me sick to my stomach most others.

In the imp I smell pancake syrup and butter, but if I apply it on *just* the right time (read probably when I'm PMSing) I don't get syrup at all. (Chemistry, that mystery!) Instead I get pure buttercream. And such heavenly, perfect buttercream that I don't even feel the need to go EAT any buttercream as it seems to work perfectly well just *sniffing* Gluttony instead. :P

Ayup..this oil will be quite useful, I like it, and I'm glad I bought it. But like I said, only on certain days. :D

In the bottle: Sugar and butter

First on: A little spicier now, it reminds me of cinnamon sugar buttered toast. I generally hate foody scents on me, but this one actually seems to be working.

Drydown: Damn, the cinnamon has faded and the butter is once again the dominant scent. Other than that, it's still sugary with a hint of hazelnut.

Overall: I think this is the first foody imp I'll be keeping. I don't see a bottle in my future, and I predict this imp will last me forever, but I'll use it. :P

Well, reviewing spree it is!

In the imp, it's all buttery caramel and hazelnut ... rather yummy, but I'm scared of buttery things because they've gone plastic on me too many times ...

Wet on skin, smells like buttery caramel plastic and hazelnut. Nothing in the way of dark chocolate ...

Once dry, there's a hint of pralines with the hazelnut toffee caramel plastic thing, and if that plastic would just go away, I could enjoy this a whole heap more. The plastic has decided it wants to be a little burnt too. Gah!

Seriously, I should just give up on anything that says buttercream, or caramel. I *love* the idea of smelling like caramel and vanilla and buttercream and other yummy things in that vein, but they don't like my skin so much.

If I wait long enough, I get toasted hazelnuts - a big improvement on burnt plastic and hazelnuts, but that's not really what I wanted either ... hopefully I'll find a better home for this poor imp!

this stuff makes me want to eat myself. I love it but its strong enough that I generally pair with another bpal smell to add buttery warmth. today was sheol and gluttony....such a yummy combo

In imp: could smell this through the bottle and already knew was in for a treat! Smells like Martha Stewart's kitchen at Christmastime.

Wet, on skin: the chocolate and vanilla are fighting over each other, giving the feeling you get when you walk into a house and know something awesome is in the oven, but you can't figure out what it is and no one will tell you anything more than it's a surprise for dessert.

Drydown: more of the toffee, hazelnut and buttercream, caramel poking through occasionally. not a kind thing to wear to a weight-watchers meeting, but agonisingly foody and delicious.

Edited by rien

Woah. Probably the most intense scent that I’ve ever tried.

I normally don’t like food scents but this was just incredible. It really does smell intensely of buttercream, caramel and praline. It smells so amazing that I’m hungry now; I’m almost tempted to start eating myself!

It has a ridiculously good throw too.

It’s a very good thing that I feel the way I do about Gluttony (or bad depending on your perspective), I stupidly dropped at least half of the imp onto my floor and now my entire room is overwhelmed by the smell - It's torturing me!

Wow. Wet, this is super-sweet hazelnut candy. As it dries, it blossoms into this perfect caramel-hazelnut-chocogoodness. It smells exactly like Toffifay tastes, and I loves me some Toffifay. It doesn't change much over time except the fading, and it lasts a lot longer than most scents I've tried. I don't really smell the hops, but there is a complexity that I don't think I'd find if they weren't in there, cutting the intensity of the sugariness, probably why I don't find this sickly even though it is incredibly sweet.

(Fair warning: this is a ~2-year-old imp. Still smells like I remember, though.)

In the bottle, this is just delicious. I love baking, and it smells like a kitchen at the height of the Christmas season: butter and sugar and creamy sweet things, maybe some spices, all overlaid. I think this could be a good room scent (not when I'm very hungry or very full, though!) if it doesn't work out on me.

Wet: Hi, hazelnut coffee candle!

Dry: Yeah...so I've had this on ten hours now, and it never changed from the way it smelled the instant I put it on. Which is good for most perfumes, except that I used to burn hazelnut coffee candles all the time, and I can't stand the scent any more. Room scent it is, though...and I envy all the people who get the other notes!

In the bottle: hazelnut cake, buttercream icing with surgared pralines in a carmel sauce on top. Oh my!

Wet: same. But Cacie's review was dead on, brownies (chocolate hazelnut brownies) burned slightly with tofee sauce with sugared pralines and a cup O' Joe.

Dry: same. I am getting very hungry, *contemplates eating arm.* :P

30 minutes: same. This really bad if you are on a diet and watching what you eat!

Conclusion: I can't wait to try the other six sins. This is positively hedonistic. I would like to put this in a soap. I am going to have to read up on how to do that.

Rating 1-5: on my skin this is a 3.5 - 4.

In the imp, this was heavy, CLOYINGLY foody - and I like foody. Excessive chocolate and cream, altogether like a very thick, rich cake that makes you want heaps, and then you take one bite and go "oh dear god I'm done now." I can see how some would like that, but just not for me.

On me, it mellowed, except it went past 'calm' into 'weird burning plastic'. A shame - I wanted it to just soften a teeny bit, but I guess it's not happening, huh.

In the bottle: whoa. buttery caramel corn?

on: uh oh. I'm getting that "nutty" smell I got with Jack and some of the other pumpkin scents...but I'll wait it out...cause some of those did get better...I have hope...

minute or two...hmm, the nutty smell is getting fainter, and it's definitely getting sweeter...caramel

15 mins: uh oh, the nutty came back again. and it is cloyingly sweet on me. This may not work out.

dry: it's like really sweet hazlenutty syrup. Too sweet for me and while there may be some chocolate lurking under there, mostly I smell the nuts and caramel. :P

Cloyingly heavy in the imp, but settles down a little after application. This reminds me of caramel popcorn and heavily-buttered cinnamon toast. Maybe with a cup of hot chocolate off to one side.

Definitely this will not be everyone's cup of tea, but I dig it :P

ETA: After a couple of hours, this takes on a distinct burnt-sugar smell.

Edited by Baitu

In the bottle: Oh god, chocolate, with a sickly-sweet layering of buttercream and a hint of nuts and caramel in the background. I'm going to regret wearing this.

On the wrist: Mmm. Sweet, sweet chocolate/buttercream/caramel; but with a slightly musky background to it that just prevents me wanting to chew my wrist off. That it's dark chocolate rather than milk helps there too. It's warm and comforting.

One hour later: Gosh. That's not what I expected at all. It's dark chocolate and caramel, yes, but there's also a kind of musky - almost metallic - sweetness to it that lifts it from the realm of pure food. This is nice.

This was just too strong and too sweet for me, but that's why it evokes gluttony perfectly!

Edited by monkey1123

It comes on like your friendly neighborhood bakery spice cake. But before you know it, you're a walking, talking gingerbread man!! :P

Love this scent! It's pure comfort with that strong ginger note that holds on for dear life. I just keep seeing a gingerbread man, with his wee, black current eyes bright and dancing, laughing. This one makes you want to check the oven to see if there isn't a tray of the fellows in there somehow. :D

In the bottle: Hazelnut and cinnamon...kind of like a thick latte smell.

Wet: A little more sugary-sweet. I smelled the chocolate for all of 5 minutes and then it was gone.

Dry: I smelled like the baking pans after a tray of cinnamon rolls, I think. :P

Overall: It made me very hungry. My fiance seemed to like it, too. I'm thinking I might have him try it on, maybe he'd like it more than me. But still a nice scent. Might be better suited for a Christmas party.

oh yeah overpowering enough as i open the bottle, so much i want to turn away, but i brave it and put it on.

after a little while it calms down and i can smell the caramel. and the toffee, only not really in a good way, but in the way i feel when i've had way too much and is nauseous.

man what a brilliant name for the scent! this is a work of art, but not necessarily a work of art i want to wear. i might take it out now and again to be blown away but i think it's going in the no box.

it made me pull out my chocolate stash btw...

In the imp: This is one of the most appropriately named scents I've come across. It's sickeningly sweet (in the positive, licking icing off your plate kind of way) with intense notes of butter, sugar, coffee, and hazelnut.

Wet on skin: Immediately the butter comes full force but fades into a nutty coffee scent. Still pretty yummy.

Dry on skin: Other than the Candy Butcher all of the sweet smells I've tried have about a ten to twenty minute interval of pure nail polish remover. It's really annoying because I LOVE foody smells and want them to love me back. Once that passes Gluttony settles down into a chocolate coffee that's pretty but not as intense as I expected considering the rush of sweetness that wafts from the bottle.

I'm still iffy on whether or not it's a true keeper.

Woah, this is every bit as heavy and sugary as you've heard.

You get a good whiff of chocolate starting off, but all of the other notes quickly come out to play. It smells like you've just finished making a very, very decadent cake. Mostly I get sugar notes -- caramel, toffee, and from a distance I can catch the hazelnut praline. There's a creaminess that makes it all very smooth, but the overall quality is just SWEET AND SUGARY!

If you live for foody dessert fragrances, don't miss this. This is as foody as it gets. If you're not all that keen on foody or sugary scents, this will almost certainly be overbearing. I'm not much into overly foody perfumes myself, because the sugar becomes nauseating, but I love foody products. I would love to have this in a body lotion or shower goods.

Throw is good. Not sure yet about wear life.

In the imp:

Sugar and butter, baked goods. Very reminiscent of Jack.

Wet:

Still pretty much smelling Jack. Okay, as this dries down, I can tell the difference between it and Jack because it's not pumpkin-y (although wht I smell the most in Jack is the butter and sugar). I think this one plays a bit nicer with my skin chemistry than Jack does, but they are still fairly similar on me. Anyway, this is basically a very yummy and sugary baked-goods smell on me. I think my skin drinks chocolate scents, because I am not getting chocolate from this at all.

Dry:

My final verdict is that this reminds me a lot of Jack, but I think I find it more wearable. I'll have to wear each one out of the house and see what I think about that. This one is definitely a keeper, though; it's making me hungry sniffing my arm.

Edited by n3m3sis42

Mmmmmmmmmm. Deep chocolately, bourbony, nutty goodness. Smells a lot like Yankee's Hazelnut Coffee candle. It's a delicious scent ... just not sure I want to walk around smelling that way!

Based on reviews, I expected Gluttony to be super-sweet, especially with my skin chemistry which typically turns things sweeter (Jack, for example, was unwearable for me). But I'm testing both Gluttony and Eat Me today and I'm surprised to find that Eat Me is the toothachingly sweet one on me, while Gluttony is more warm and spicy-foody.

As an American raised in Australia, Gluttony reminds me of the USA - visiting my family for Thanksgiving and Christmas in Texas, eating far too many desserts, caramel ribbon ice cream, German chocolate cake with nuts, pecan pie. (Gluttony reminds me of the USA - OK, that sounds really anti-American, but I do mean it in the nicest way!) Lots of sweetness in the wet stage, but in the drydown there's a surprising dry, rich spiciness to this scent - not a specific spice like cinnamon or clove, but a general spiciness, like sniffing dry flavored tea leaves in the bag. I love it - my only complaint is that the drydown scent is not very strong. I don't often wear foody scents, but this one is a keeper for the imp at least, for those times when I have cravings.

Edited by ClareN

I've really started to like foody scents, so I got this one. But it smells too delicious I want to eat myself. I'd advise anyone who gets this to make sure you are full before you put it on, because it will make you hungry for yummy delicious food that will ruin your weight-watchers diet. Definitely love it, though. :P