Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

myoubi said it: "Holy Staying Power, Crack Van!" I slipped some of this on at 3 or 330 yesterday afternoon for a test run and even at 3 this morning in a sleepy haze I caught a heady whiff of it. Just a dab!

As for the scent review? HEARTH! I kid you not. The first thing that ran through my mind was my beloved Hearth '05. It's got that same chocolate coffee with hints of hazlenut and toffee smell. Plain and simple. YUM! Large bottle WILL be ordered!

Starts out as a heavy, buttery-caramel Werther's scent, which quickly starts to come across as cinnamon and, yeah, I do get a bit of flavored coffee.

Gluttony. Hmm. This is more wearably to me than some of the other foodie scents I've tried. It starts out in a similiar vein to them, reminds me a bit of Creepy and Grog. I do get a bit of sweet coffee at the end.

I'm sure now that I'm just not a "foodie" scent person. They're just too intense heavy for me, mostly.

I thought I would really like this scent, and I was looking forward to this package for over a week. I sniffed it in the bottle first, and thought, "eh, that's okayish, it'll probably smell better once it's on me." Boy, was I wrong. The sugary smell only increased once it was on me, to a nauseating degree. I wanted to leave it on to see if it would change any, but I just couldn't stand it for more than 10 minutes. I'd like to smell it on someone whose body chemistry it agrees with, though.

This is a crazy scent on me.

Wet, it smells like a hangover. The combination of perfume and tobacco smoke after a heavy night drinking, heady and intense.

It dries to a sweeter, nutty buttercream; apparently the combination of the two was what was reading to my nose as sweet tobacco, but as it dries the toffee tones it down.

Gluttony, yes- hedonism and overindulgence in a bottle. Not sure if I could go for a 5 ml, but the imp is interesting enough to keep around.

In the imp: Chocolate... and spice.

Wet: *cough* Um... Chocolate... toffee... and spices. This one is STRONG. My sister who was OUTSIDE MY ROOM was saying she could smell something 'awful.' (She thinks all BPAL is icky.)

Dry: No more chocolate, although if I stick my nose to my wrist and breath deep, I think I can smell a touch of the remnants. I definately smell the pralines and hazelnut. And with my wrists down to write, I smell mostly a slightly burnt toffee smell. I guess that's the coffee/caramel smell everyone's been talking about.

This one is... interesting. I wasn't keen on a chocolate perfume, but fortunately my skin doesn't seem to care for chocolate either. I doubt this will fall under favorites, but it is unusual enough to keep around.

I like this :P It wasn't at all like what I expected; I don't catch much chocolate, even in the bottle. It's all blended too thickly together, like being in a candy factory.

On my skin, it goes caramel and hops. (It took me forever to place what the slightly sharp scent was--hops! I like it, it keeps this from going the way of Beaver Moon on me, which was too sweet.) There are wafts of the dark chocolate then, and a hint of vanilla.

It lasts about three or four hours on me, so it's probably not one I'd wear to work (I can't take any liquids in with me so I couldn't reapply, alas), but it is one I'll wear on my days off.

Gluttony

Sin & Salvation

They tell you never to eat the peanuts they serve at the bar, but you never really cared what "they" had to say and besides they taste so damn good. Friday night is here, so live it up, live a little on the wild side and keep eating those nuts. (Man are these nuts good. I can't get enough of them.) And there's better news the bartender tells you they just got a new chocolate stout on tap, so she pours a pint and they keep on coming. Everyone is looking good, you are feeling fine and it is going to be a great night. Beer, peanuts and girls in glasses... I mean what could get any better than that? Maybe a cigarette, but you quit two years ago so just get lost in the haze around you and take another drink... you've got all night to see what unfolds.

I really enjoyed where gluttony took me. Hats off to the lab! If we ever meet the next round is on me.

Wowza, this is my first really foody BPAL and as a scent, this is pretty amazing. I don't get any chocolate at all, it's all hazelnut, toffee, pralines, and caramel. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned hazelnut-flavored coffee, and yeah, it is quite a bit like that. It's VERY sweet and buttery. For what it is, it's really amazing, and it doesn't have any of that kind of artificial sickliness that often shows up in more commercial foody perfumes. Unfortunately, it's also making clear to me that I am not really a foody scent person. (I didn't really think that I was, I just read the description and couldn't resist trying it!) So I don't think I will be keeping it, but I'm glad to have tried it!

OMG. This is all thick, creamy, buttery sweetness on first sniff, though not any particular flavour. As it dries, however, I smell caramel, vanilla, and a bit of something boozy. After a while, the hazelnut and toffee emerge, too. Over time, the boozy note gets stronger, but the sweetness never diminishes. Weirdly, I don't smell the chocolate at all, but the other notes pop up. Overall, it's a hedonistic blend, sophisticated but overwhelmingly sugared. YUM.

In the imp: Creamy buttery sweetness

On Skin: Cake! :P Heavy buttercream to it. Tasty.

On Drydown: Most of the buttery-ness disappears and I get a drydown of spices. Rather, I smell more like spice cake. I can't pick out any of the notes... but it smells like baked goods on me.

Verdict: Infinitely delectable and tasty. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge foodie person but I can see why people love this. I'd be afraid of wearing this because around me, people would sniff the air and ask "Where is the cake?"

This scent surprisingly had a tobacco-y dry down on my which made me not like it as much as when I first put it on. Did anyone else have this experience?

Not only did it have a very strong burnt-coffee-and-tobacco scent once I put it on, but it seems to not want to wash off..

I'm going to have to put this on the list of "not for my body chemistry," which is sad, because I really wanted to like this one.

coding fix --Shollin

I thought sure I'd hate this one, since I'm generally very much not a really-sweet-foodie person, but the Lab frimped me it in my last order, so I figured I might as well give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised :-) Not much chocolate, vanilla, or sickly buttercream, but this one turned out all sugary pralines once it dried down. Nicely nutty, and sugary without being horribly sweet. The inital stage is a bit much -- it's kind of artificial pancake syrup -- but that doesn't last more than a few minutes. I'm still not really a foody person, but this could be a nice cuddly scent, for much the same reason as I keep Bliss around.

Gluttony: In the imp, CHOCOLATE! On, it smells like a buttery chocolate cake. Good throw, too, I'm smelling wafts of it. 10 minutes on I can definitely smell the caramel! Yummy! I'm not sure I want to smell like this all the time, but it's good. The imp's a keeper. Mostly caramel an hour in, still yummy!

I really, really hate the fake chocolate smell that most “chocolate scented” stuff has, but this really truly smells like a rich chocolate caramel cake to me.

I actually have been craving wearing this, in the two days since I tested it. I haven't worn it all day yet for various reasons, but I suspect I will eventually use up the imp and have to get another, or maybe even a bottle!

Unsure if I will ever actually wear this but it smells absolutely wonderful. It will at least be something to use in an oil diffuser. Or to wear when I really really want chocolate and sweet. I keep sniffing my elbow, where I put it to try. :P

EDIT: Well, I put myself to the lie about wearing it. Really in need of indulgence today and this is just wonderful for that. :D

Edited by Analise

This is mostly nutty on me, with a powdery sweet smell over the top that's slightly bitter -- from some sort of spice, maybe? Not really very creamy. I like this type of scent as a room scent, but I don't usually wear something this extremely foody or spicy as perfume.

I feel like I am buttered popcorn wearing this. I was hoping for some of the chocolate would come out, but it seems like it is mostly buttercream. I guess I don’t really love the foody scents and this one is way to foody for me.

This one was just too strong. It was overpowering even before I opened the Imp. I kept it away from the others. I put it on, and was still wearing it the next day.

After deciding it was too strong for me, I was bringing it to a friend to try. The Imp fell out of my pocket somewhere, but my jacket still smells like it.

Gluttony is not for the faint hearted!

Mmmm - this one is mostly hazlenut and cinnamon on my wrist while wet. As it drys, the hazlenut gets lighter and the spicy cinnamon gets stronger. Odd, becaues I don't even see cinnamon listed in the notes. But I swear - it is there on my wrist, at least! (Or maybe that's just my own wacky nose.)

I was so worried, because Drink Me turned to peanut butter on my skin, and Candy Butcher just faded away into a perfumey smell. But this one smells wonderful on my skin, and doesn't fade away too fast.

As I'm typing, I'm starting to pick up the faint scent of coffee. Maybe that is the hazlenut coming back to the surfact. . . but its wonderful!!

I'd been wanting to try an imp of this for awhile, especially since I've really been digging the foody scents this winter. Normally this is the kind of thing that I would spring for a bottle of right off the bat, but I wasn't sure how similar it would be to other blends that I've already bottled that seem similar. Enter the frimp from the lab that I received with my last order.

This is a very nice blend.... a lot like what I imagined in my head when I first read the description ever so long ago... and definitely evocative of the concept of gluttony. I smell coffee, caramel, and a bunch of other things that make my mouth water. This is also a nice, long-lasting blend that you don't need to slather in order to smell, and that sticks around long after it's applied.

The only problem is that it's very very similar to other blends that I already have bottles of... most notably Miskatonic University. As a matter of fact, at first sniff they smelled identical to my nose. The main difference for me is that the woody, bookish smell isn't there in the background here, which is fitting since Gluttony is all about food and overindulgence. This would definitely be one I'd recommend to people who liked everything about Misk U except for that effect though.

WOW! What a comforting foodie smell this is! I almost salivated when I sniffed it. It's a little heavy and sexy for every day wear, but it dries down into a lovely, sweet and smoky (but not acridly so) scent. The throw is quite nice. I needed to refresh (well, it was more like WANTED to!) after two hours. I'm definitely going to enjoy using up my imp!

Edited by Grifyn

In the bottle: Lovely! It smells like hazelnut coffee with something sharp in the background (hazelnut i think) and a bit of chocolate in the back

On my: something my body doesn't turn to baby powder! squee! it smells nutty and rich. I'm not sure I would wear it all the time but I definitely want to put this in a diffuser and saturate my room!

Ohhhh, YUM!! I don't know yet if I'll order a bottle of this, though it would be so nice around the holidays. With spring approaching, I may need to wait - but this is just delicious! I wonder exactly how many people have licked the hell out of their wrists wearing this stuff! :P

I'm not overly fond of foody scents, but I got this in a swap anyway. It finally got tested when I was in the mood for sweet stuff.

When wet it's all hazelnut and caramel on me, then as it dries it reminds me strongly of Elegbra. I suspect it's the toffee combining with something that my nose interprets as butterscotch.

Surprisingly I liked it! Not enough to get a bottle, but I'll keep the imp around for the odd occasion I feel like wearing a foody scent.

Imp: Buttery and boozy…

Wet: I think I get a hint of chocolate and pralines…then toffee.

Dry: A mix of all the ingredients, feeling a bit like cake…

Again like Cockaigne…yummy, but no wine, more caramel, more bloated sweetness. Yum!

Final Thoughts: Foody lovers galore! This is fantastic. I'm not a chocolate fan at all, but this is divine. I've been keeping my nose to my wrists all day. I even carried the imp with me today (a first). This is a bigger bottle for sure.