Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

In the imp, I find Gluttony to smell sugary-sweet. The initial application is rather nice -- sweet, but with a vaguely boozy undertone. After about 15 minutes, the sweetness explodes and I smell exactly like the kitchen of someone making home-made caramels or boiling sugar water to make candy. It's very buttery-butterscotch-sugar sweet. Not a bad smell, but not one that I prefer -- cooking sugar just isn't one of my favorite smells. The overwhelming sweetness fades out after about an hour, and dissapates entirely after about 3 or 4 hours. It seems my body chemistry blows up the scent and burns it off rapidly. But this might be a low-calorie way to relieve those PMS sugar cravings! :P

I plan to use Gluttony in my brown sugar/salt scrubs. That will be very, very yummy. It's just not a sex-on-a-stick scent for me.

valentina Edited by Shollin

Oh, wow...this put me in such a good mood today. Gluttony is a bountiful blend of sweets, with the chocolate and buttercream at the forefront, hazelnut and toffee just behind them, and the caramel peeking out every now and then. I don't notice any vanilla, hops, or pralines, though. This has average throw but it lasts for HOURS. I put it on around 9:00 this morning and can still smell it on my wrists 12 hours later with no touch-ups. This really was the perfect thing for my mood today at work; after each difficult customer all I had to do was sniff Gluttony to restore my sweet temperament. :P

There are only two words to describe this scent:

Mrs. Butterworths!

I wore it today, and i had about 5 people tell me i smelled like pancakes or waffles.

Having said that, i kind of liked it. Its fun, in a breakfasty sort of way.

Oh god, I hated this scent. I sometimes like foody scents but not this one. It was soooo incredibly strong it turned my stomach. The extremely intense nut scent was what really ruined it for me I think. I really wasn't able to wear it long enough to see if it changed at all. It was not possible.

Actually, this scent was responsible for me not using my dozen or so imps for about a year and a half. It spilled all over all of them, and every time I opened the box they were in I just was revolted, and just couldn't bring myself to fuss with any of them.

Finally it occured to me that perhaps that was the problem- a smell i didn't like had spilled, not that I hated all the fragrances I'd ordered. I washed the Gluttony off everything, and realized I'd forgotten about a treasure trove of gorgeous scents. This scent is so strong that maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of an imp coated an entire fishing tackle box and everything in it. Whoa, baby, that's potent. And it didn't fade for a year and a half.

Edited by Shollin

I thought I would hate all foody scents, but this one isn't too bad for me, strangely enough. I think I get queasy when it's foody mixed with something else. But this is straight-up butterscotch candy. Well, maybe butterscotch with an evil twist. It still just ain't my bag, I don't like smelling like food items, but it's not a terrible experience like I feared it would be.

Oh wow, this smells just like a candy shop...rich, sweet and buttery. This a very foody scent and quite strong when first applied. I kind of smell like a snickers bar for the rest of the day!

Holy Mother of Foody Scents!

Gah! This is buttery, nutty and creamy droolworthiness. I feel like I should be licking the imp it smells so edible.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of dark chocolate as the bitter note it in bothers me, both in taste and smell. And true to form I can detect a tiny bitter note from my skin. It isn't unpleasant at all, but it's lurking in the shadows.

Then again, if I ignore it, I smell like death by chocolate. It's so wrong yet so very, very right.

I've been searching for a good foody type scent, but nothing's worked for me yet. Here's hoping that this one breaks the pattern, or else I'll have to regulate myself to just having foody room scents.

In the bottle - Very buttery, a bit sweet and heavy on the buttercream. I don't smell any chocolate or hazelnut yet.

Wet - Rum and... plastic. Oh dear.

Drying - This is doing fantastically bad things. The plastic is faint, but the cream smells almost rancid on me. The hazelnut note is coming out a bit and there's still that boozy tinge to it. There's also a really strong spice note. I'm not sure what that is, yet.

Dry (20 minutes later) - Yup, plastic, rancid cream and oddly stale nuts. No, I don't understand what's going on with the nuts, either. =/ It really is just my skin doing it, I know it is.

Overall - A serious "no" on this one. I might keep the imp to try and make some soap with it, but most likely it's just going to be traded. :P

In the imp: Smells like a bakery. Hints that remind me of Lump of Coal and Gingerbread Poppet, plus a lot of buttery sweetness.

On, wet: There's a faint buttered-rum character to it. Also sugar, spices, molasses, vanilla, and caramel.

Drydown: As usual, the chocolatey notes go wandering very quickly. What's left smells like gingerbread pancakes with tons of maple syrup and butter on.

Well, this is ... something. I can't say I dislike it, but I don't know if it's something I want to wear. I like food scents, but I think this one is a little over-the-top, even for my taste. It's a little sickly after a while. This may be a swapper.

Gluttony! :D

In imp: Good grief. This reminds me of a Heath bar. My roomie said it makes her think of Yankee Candle Shop.

I was tempted to not wear this one because it was so sweet, but I did on one wrist.

Wet: The hazlenut note came barreling through. It was nearly too strong, and I did consider washing it off.

Drydown: It mellowed a bit. Once it was absolutely dry later, it was pure milk chocolate alone. This one lasts forever! Over five hours later, I could still smell this on my wrist. I'm cursed with crazy skin chemistry, but this one didn't go smoky on me at all; it actually became sweeter over time.

What a pleasant surprise!

Sidenote: I slathered this on my roomie's wrist when her pms became downright scary last night :P (yay for tiny college dorm rooms that boost that survival instinct). Within ten minutes, it was like a different person; she was much more calm and able to focus on her work. This works very well on her.

Yuck. I have a lot of respect and love for Beth's work, and there are so many bpal scents that are to die for but this is not one of those for me. I'm sorry to say but Gluttony smells horrid in the vial. I was scared to try it on my skin. Thankfully it's not as strong on wet and dry as in the bottle.

The wet note has a bit of urine undertone. And the drydown essentially smells like buttered-popcorn with caramel poured on top to me. Not my kind of foody scent.

This just didn't at all work out for me. The drydown wasn't nearly as bad as what it smells like in the vial but still not something I'd go for. Perhaps as a candle (dry-down scent) but not as something I'd want to wear on me.

3.5/10

Gluttony

This is really candy, I get burnt sugar, syrup and honey, somewhere in between nauseating and cosy. As it dries it gets drier, more woody, like wood with caramel and burnt sugar. It also gets a little more plastic, I think it's the typical plastic honey scent.

Frimp from the lab!

Whoa hello, Christmas baking. It reminds me of my best friend from high school's kitchen when she and her family are making Christmas cookies. It smells like this all through the month of December. Having just tried out Bon Vivant, I'm especially hungry now.

When I put this on, my first reaction was, 'Wow. This is really sweet.' Imagine a huge banquet table, with every single dessert in the entire world that you love, sitting on it. In large quantities. I might use this as a room scent, because I'd be chewing on my arm if I wore this all day.

As it dries, the bakery settles down and stops production for the day, the sweetness goes away, and I'm left smelling like a spiced brownie. Or chocolate cake with a cup of mulled cider sitting next to it. Either way, I think this'd be wonderful to scent my apartment with, on those days when I'm not baking.

This is definitely inspiration for anyone to become a glutton.

Rating: 3.75

Burnt sugar blends are definitely a no-no for me. This was too sickly sweet and gave me a headache whenever I turned to give it another sniff. I had hopes for this scent, as I love nuts (other than almond) and hoped that this would smell like toasty nuts... unfortunately, it smelled like a fire accident in a bakery. Not charred, but very, very sweet.

This came as a frimp and I decided to give it a try. I didn't think that I would like it at all since I don't normally love gourmand scents and Grog did not work for me. Oh my goodness! This will be a future purchase if it lasts a whle.

This is a rich coffee scent on me, like hazelnut coffee and chocolate biscotti, a whiff of pipe tobacco and a hint of distant perfume. This is only mildly sweet on my skin. I don't know how, but I seem to amplify the bitter coffee/ dark chocolate notes.

On a tangent...

I was at my mom's house wearing this and she walked by and exclaimed "Oh, you smell good!" I told her I was wearing Gluttony and she said it was aptly named.

"You smell like the sould of chocolate"

I was looking forward to this one, since I tend to go for foodier scents....

In the imp, it's all butter. Like movie theater popcorn drowned in butter. This really isn't doing it for me.

On, the butter fades away pretty quickly, and I'm left with....spices??? :P And baby powder. This is really weird, everyone else gets sugary, syrupy sweetness, and I get very dry spices? It's almost like Bengal, but without any of the honey. Unlike Bengal, this is making my eyes and nose itch.

I ended up washing this one off, it really upset my allergies. Maybe something is just off with my chemistry today, for me to get such a strange reaction. I'll give it one more try, but most likely this one is going to swaps.

DEAR GOD! I love this scent. I layered it with Tutti Dulci's Fantasia di Chocolata (Bath and Body Works) and it smells like HEAVEN. I got so many compliments on it that I can't even count.

The Butter Cream stands out the most for me, but the Hazelnut pops when I first put it on.

*drool*

Got this as a frimp from a wonderful friend, and now I have to buy some!

:P

At first sniff i smelled Maple Syrup, not a bad scent but not sure i felt like smelling like it...

after a few minutes it gets darker and thicker smelling ... until i realized ... i smelled like a Denny's! The smell of maple syrup made me feel sticky..yuck!

not for me...

Fresh From The Imp: All I could smell was molasses and ginger. It was so sickly sweet that I almost couldn't bring m'self to try it on.

Wet On My Flesh: Straight gingerbread, fresh from the oven. I'm not sure why, since I don't see any reference to spice in the official description, but that's what my nose is telling me. Still sweetish, but not so bad.

Drying Down: Most of the ginger scent has faded, leaving it rather cake-ish with a hint of lemon.

Hour To Integrate: Definitely becoming more tolerable now. Sort of like a spiced honey.

End Of Day/Final Report: After a few hours, I'm left with the scent of fine pipe tobacco. This isn't a bad fragrance for me, so I'll probably keep the imp around. If I can find someone selling a 5ml bottle, I might even pick that up, too.

BONUS! Kitten's Opinion: GOOD GODS CAT LEAVE ME BE. She took one whiff and refused to stop rubbing my arm.

Another gift from the Lab.

It smells like a chocolate-covered praline. I adore pralines and chocolate, so a whiff of Gluttony makes me instantly giddily happy.

No morphing, though it fades nicely as it dries: it's almost overwhelmingly sweet when wet; it gets a lot less ticky when it dries, though it's still quite sweet and chocolatey. This is not a cheap confection--this is the finest, most indulgent dessert, bottled. I'll definitely be reaching for this when the dreaded PMS Sweets Craving strikes.

Sigh... Gluttony has a weird, slightly chemical maple-syrup smell on me instead of being chocolatey-delicious. Life is hard sometimes...

Gluttony is very foody, as the description lets you know up front. I'm smelling sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, and maybe snickerdoodles. It's all about baking! This is something I'd very much enjoy in a candle or home fragrance oil form, but not to wear. It is making me hungry, though.....

gah!! death by sweetness!!! so syrupy sweet it makes me hungry and kinda nauseous after a bit...but I gave it a while and the initial slam of syrup mellowed out to a caramel/sugar/choclate/butter soft scent....

not too bad, but waaaaay too sweet for me.

Based on the description, I thought this would be the perfect scent for chocoholic like me! In the bottle, it's a lovely rich dark chocolate scent. On my skin, it was a bit less chocolatey but still good. After about an hour, the chocolate was gone and I was left with a spicy cinnamon scent.

:P This is a great scent, smells just like a chocolate turtle. Unfortunately, I don't think this is one for me. Maybe if the scent were a little more subtle.....