Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Gluttony

From the Seven Deadly Sins collection...

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

Gluttony...my first response..."Oh MY god!". My husband's..."Holy Shit!". Very buttery, with a hint of fresh-baked cookies, and oodles of other delectible treats. It's making me quite hungry for things I don't have on hand to eat.

*edited to add the official BPAL description*

First sniff: Gluttony is very strong – I can smell this clearly even with the vial closed inside a little plastic zip-bag. From here the smell is reminiscent of the Hazelnut Coffee candle from Yankee – very dark and rich, not sweet but still with the feel of something delicious and decadent. Smelling the wand itself, it isn’t nearly as dark, and the coffee scent isn’t there. It reminds me a bit of the warm sweetness of Hellcat, but not quite as blatantly boozey.

Wearing: YUM. Gooey and darkly sweet, and the coffee is back! Weird! It smells more high-class than I expected… rather than sitting in front of the TV gobbling chocolates, you’re out at a nice restaurant sipping bitter French coffee and watching the waiter drizzle dark caramel sauce over a complicated and beautiful dessert. There’s a hint of spice here too, maybe even cinnamon. Can’t wait to try this one in the burner and see what it turns into. :P

Ohhhh. I know what I'll be wearing the week I have PMS and an uncontrollable urge to eat everything in sight. This was a perfect foody scent, unlike anything else out there - the faintest touch of gingerbread, perhaps? which spiced up the absolutely decadent chocolate, caramel, and white Karo syrup notes.

As I have said before I am not the best at descriptions, but here goes.

In the bottle it smells of a toffee/coffee with a bit of vanilla on the whole a very yummy combination. Very foody and very satisfying.

On the drydown on me, it turns to a very likeable bitter almost burnt coffee. Like a really strong nutty expresso. Really rather smoky and sweet at the same time. The bitter tang stops it from being too sickly sweet.

My only problem with this is that it "really" makes me salivate.

It truly is perfect for Gluttony

This scent made me hilariously go out and actually BUY a pint of dark chocolate ice cream because I couldn't stand smelling like something so delicious and not having it in my mouth. So, yeah, this scent surely does induce actual, real gluttony and will be the reason I become fat. When first applied, it is the scent of deep, thick, dark chocolate, drenched in caramel. The middle notes show the slight dry nuttiness of hazelnut. Upon drydown, the scent is a softer vanilla-chocolate and decidedly toffee-nosed. Mouth-watering and distractingly delicious.

The best way I can describe this is that it smells like liquid butter laced with vanilla... and not the overbearingly sweet kind of vanilla, either. A rich, heady sugar that beckons you to gorge on itself and come back for more. I can imagine people salivating for this kind of scent.

This scent surprisingly had a tobacco-y dry down on my which made me not like it as much as when I first put it on. Did anyone else have this experience?

I wore this one yesterday. Gluttony... mmmmm... One of my favorites. On first application it's SO overwhelming it gives me a headache, but as it dries down, it morphs into a foodie scent fan's dream. Creamy, buttery, caramel with something a bit smoky for depth. If only I could bypass the headache stage.

Inital Sniff:

WOW. Extremely buttery with a hint of cookies underneath its almost overpowering and a bit sickening.

After wearing it

Oh my. This is delicious. First put on its like someone smeared butter all over you and added a dash of cinnamon but as it dries down so many scents assault you. Caramel, chocolate, toffee...at one point I smelled like Gingerbread another a sugar cookie covered in caramel. This really is the epitome of the word Gluttony..it's every sweet scent you could dream of all wrapped up in a lovely heady perfume. It's very very long lasting too...I got in an elevator about 5 hours after I put it on and my friend remarked he smelled a candy shop :P

Mmm...

Butter... caramel... hazelnuts... I'm getting the coffee note other people have mentioned, but it's definately espresso, not that burnt, brewed coffee smell.

This is a rich and sleepy scent.... Like the smell of wanting to go to sleep after a very heavy meal, where the last thing you tasted was coffee and a masterfully complex chocolate mousse.

When I first opened this, the smell came up and slapped me in the face. It is a very sweet smell. When I put it on, it smells very much like caramel and coffee. I'm finding it a little too sweet though. I don't think I'l buy this one but I will probably use up the imp. I'll try it again later and update this.

Initial Impression:

Reminds me of the dearly departed Hellfire. Very much like buttery toffee.

After Wearing It:

Yep. When this first goes on, it reminds me lots of Hellfire. It has that same rich, buttery caramel tone, so very sweet and warm, which was nice. Less of of the odd popcorn note to be found here than there was in Hellfire, so bonus points.

Slowly though, that buttery caramel high fades back and the chocolate and but notes emerge. It feels like a rich dessert rather than just an ultra sweet snack that was around during Gluttony's opening sequence. Something rich and multitextured like cake & custard. Then something like coffee is introduced making the scent smell as much like one of those trendy flavored coffee drinks as it does like sharing dessert and coffee with someone else.

The final stage is the longest and most muted. After about hour three the overwhelmingly dessert-like indulgence smooths out and softens down into a dark-chocolate and espresso scent. It makes me think of reclining in a dimly lit room snuggled down in an overstuffed armchair, basking in the afterglow of a really good meal. This is a dressed up version of that lethargy I get after a big holiday meal. It's that same lazy, self-satisfied haze, but rather than being sprawled out on my couch in an odd position, Gluttony reclines by the fire, sipping espresso, and not feeling the least bit guilty about the sweet binge it just left behind.

Final Thoughts:

Wonderfully sweet scent. I just wish the beginning phase lasted longer and blended more with the second and third stages of the fragrance. Gluttony also seems like it'd make a divine room fragrance. My mother is forever buying candles with similar (but inferior) scents, and had I tried this earlier, I would have ordered a bottle for her for mother's day. Ah well.

Got this in a swap today--Thanks, Nenia!

In the vial: A sweet, buttery, toffee and vanilla aroma. Very foody and delicious smelling!

On me: Smells a bit like the Hazelnut Coffee Yankee candle. Very interesting--warm, sweet and cozy. Very much an autumn scent on me. Makes me want to lie on the couch and light a fire in the fireplace. I will definitely order a larger size of this in the autumn.

Edited by Scylla

glad you liked it scylla :P

i think gluttony is a nice scent. maybe a bit too sweet/foody to me.

it's not something i would wear so i decided someone else should try it

who might like it better ~

This scent surprisingly had a tobacco-y dry down on my which made me not like it as much as when I first put it on.  Did anyone else have this experience?

:P I had the same experience but only many hours after the initial application. The fragrance went through all of the stages everyone else has mentioned but ended smelling like cigarettes.

I'm wondering if it reacted with something else I had on earlier?

I'll try it again & update my review.

Update: 4-30-04

My husband asked me what "medicine" cream I was wearing. Guess this one just doesn't "go" with my body chemistry.

*making pouty lower lip sad face*

RHM

As soon as I opened the bottle I said, "Good God!" and made my man smell it. Sweet. The sweetest thing I have ever smelled. For the first hour, Gluttony smells just like buttercream icing on me. Gobs and gobs of it. I think I ate for the first hour that I was wearing this... which will be bad in the long run, I guess. It was pretty strong too... I think I will need to put less on in the future.

After about two hours, it does dry down to a sweet coffee, espresso smell on me. Which I don't mind at all. Sort of reminds me of a really long dinner at a really nice resturant where you have the whole dinner and then dessert and then, at the very end, because you really don't want to leave yet, you order coffee.

Really nice scent and couldn't have pegged Gluttony better :P

Oh... my....

I received Gluttony in a swap with 3 other oils, but the smell reached out to me like odors reach out to characters in the shapes of come-hither hand gesture in Bugs Bunny cartoons. I dabbed a bit, then a bit more. Now i'm pretty much iced with it, like a pancake covered in syrup. It's sleepy and decadent and sweet and delicious, like a nasal quagmire of down blankets that you could just drown in forever. Even my similes are goopy.

I love Gluttony. I want more. It doesn't make me feel sexy or fierce or beautiful or happy... it makes me WANT MORE. It makes me decadent and ravenous. It makes me forget about other people and just want to curl up in the dark and sniff myself.

Truly, Gluttony is a perfect capture of the idea of the deadly sin. I can't help myself wanting more, heading back to the cabinet for another square of dark chocolate, reapplying, sniffing. Utter, sinful, delicious perfection.

Edited by magpiedee

Holy hell. I can feel endorfines racing when I sniff this. It starts buttery and creamy, with the darkest of chocolate. On the skin it is a true eatfest: as if you're stuffing bonbons that are way above your budget (and therefore should be enjoyed one after another in very small bites) in your mouth all at once. Coffee and a hint of cherries come out later, and the scent quitens down a bit.

Edited by Tesseljoan

I *really* wanted to like this scent. From the description, it sounded like it would be perfect for me. Instead, it smelled overwhelmingly of stale, burnt coffee with too much sugar. After a few hours it still smelled like that, plus (according to The Husband) something that smelled like how my body chemistry changes when I'm extremely tired and stressed.

I can't figure out what in Gluttony didn't work for me, because I really like foody scents (mmmm, Bliss! Or Velvet!). However, it works well as a bath oil, when mixed liberally with almond oil. I don't get it.

-Jilli

this is a very decadent scent! at first in the bottle it smelled like chocolate buttercream icing to me. on the nuts come out and I can smell a hint coffee too, like hazelnut coffee. after a while the nuts and sweets blend together nicely and now it smelles like a chocolate nut dessert. but its toasted nuts, not raw nuts. I like this scent very much!

In the bottle: This reminds me very much of Bliss .. but it's not quite as sticky sweet. This scent actually is filling the air right now, because the little imp leaked a little .. but that's okay. It's warm and toasty and just nice.

Wet: This a warmer chocolate scent .. like something with toasted nuts in it also. This would make a delicious room scent and candle, for sure. And I suppose for certain occasions, this will even be wearable, where Bliss was just -too- much for me to try to wear.

Wearing: This softens slowly, and it reminds me of a body wash I picked up a year or so ago at yule, that was a cocoa scent. Lovely .. though not something I imagine I'd wear a lot. but on occasion .. or when I just want to smell deliciously edible .. yeah, I can see it. :P

I had a lot of trepidation in ordering this scent, just because I'm not a foody scents fan usually. But I splurged, bought the ten ml..because I thought "What the hell..I can always use it as a room scent or something."

Oh. My.

In the bottle: This was warm and buttery sweet, just like the big chunks of golden-brown British toffee that is made with Brazil nuts, and has to be broken with a hammer it's so hard. Oh, it's the *richest* smell, creamy and sweet.

On my skin:

Okay, it's been on for ten minutes, and I've still got the toffee note. It's a gloriously sweet, sticky smell. Like butterscotch. But there's a hint of something darker underneath, like maybe coffee. It's wonderfully strong and present, too, not fading out on my skin like so many of the green and citrus scents I adore do. There's a fulness to the smell, almost oily, but it's far from unpleasant. Rather it reminds me of something mouthwatering baking in the oven. You can smell the sugar caramelizing.

Okay..it's been half an hour..the buttery sweetness is still going strong, but there's a hint of cinnamon there. I'll let you know how this turns out because it's apparently a very long lasting scent. I think it's a keeper, a very sinfully rich and self indulgent smell.

Two hours later: It's still going strong, even after being partly washed away when someone spilled a drink on my hand. (I tested it on my hand first.) It's a very toffee-caramel smell, wonderfully edible, but it could really cloy and begin to nauseate I suspect. Used sparingly, it's wonderful.

Edited by Mandarin

First Sniff

Melting butter and hazlenuts.

Drydown

More butter and a hint of praline... A burnt caramel smell and a bitter chocolate

hit......This one is very very strong and I only applied a little.

Final Verdict

Really not me. At all. I had to wash it off after half an hour, the sticky caramel/coco smell made me feel terrible (even my son said it was stinky. :P ). I wanted to like it but it's far too foody, smelling like a rich brownie is something that does not work for me. I've a feeling I'm going to have a similiar reaction to Bliss. I hope not.

Edited by Donnababe

In the bottle, this smells like a hazelnutty chocolate - almost like Nutella but with a sharper hazelnut edge.

Wet, it turns into something a bit chocolate-y and spicy. My husband says it smells somewhat like gingerbread, and I'm wishing dearly I had this scent when my cubicle at work was a giant gingerbread house this past Christmas.

Dry, the hazelnut's creeping back, and I'm still getting a little of the spicy-gingerbready scent with faint undertones of chocolate. Over the time it's taken me to write this (darn this having to /work/ nonsense) it's faded a lot, but at least I can still smell it a little. I think I've just got to find a good way to transport the imps I like so I can reapply when I don't feel like going the scent locket route.

But this is yummy!

This was a choice of mine cause I love chocolate scents. I was a little dissapointed though. It was way too sweet and the chocolate was dark chocolate (which I loathe) I really wanted to like this, but could'nt... I gave it to a friend that loves it! Everyone is different :P