Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

First sniff:

Whoa, mama, is that sweet! My teeth ache just smelling it. I smell toffee very strongly and a soft nutty note underneath it. It reminds me of MunchNCrunch - that toffee-covered popcorn and nut concoction that tastes so damn good but makes you sick as a dog if you overdo it. I'm actually afraid to put this on. I'm not a foody scent kind of girl and this is almost making me gag it's so sweet, but I'll give it a go, I've got a reputation for masochism to preserve, after all. :P

Wet on skin:

Pretty much the same as in the vial. It puts me in mind of those pralines you get down south and it's walking the fine line between nauseating and tolerably decadent on me. I'm admittedly not a person who enjoys super sweet scents for the most part, so maybe I'm just not used to smelling like I've been dipped in toffee and rolled in chopped pecans and vanilla extract. Either way, I'm sure even now that this is not for me.

Dry down:

Not so cloying or nauseating now, but still rot-your-teeth sweet. I don't think I'm the right kind of person for this scent, actually. I don't really like candy or sweets in general very much and smelling like them is even worse, although there are exceptions to that rule; Sugar Skull for example.

The bottom line:

Aptly named, that's for sure. I feel like a glutton just wearing this. So far, it's the most apltly named of all the Deadly Sins scents I've tried, but it's definitely not for me. I prefer potato chips to candy. :D

Gluttony might*ve been really nice on me if I hadn*t worked at Illuminations over the holidays, but it kept morphing from yummy foody sweet goodness back to something that reminded me of a candle in Illuminations I did NOT like and had to endure anyway...if it would just stay the yummy scent people keep describing on me, I*d keep it, but I will not endure the other smell (which I can*t even describe aside from being nauseating at this point), especially when Beth makes so many other lovely scents...off for swaps!

Gluttony is ultimately far too sweet for my tastes. And far too strong. I seriously felt like I had overindulged, to the point of feeling ill. It's just too much for me, and it was hard to wash off too! This will be a swapper.

Gluttony in the bottle is way to strong for me. It was just overwhelming, cloying sweetness. So I diluted it (80% perfume oil : 20% jojoba) in order to open it up and see if the other notes could come through.

After diluting, I smelled lots of sugar & coffee, slightly burnt.

On me wet: The burnt/bitter smell went away and it was a sugar-y,alcoholic-y, vanilla-y aroma. Reminds me of baking vanilla extract.

On me dry: Still the vanilla extract but with a bit more toffee. No chocolate though :P .

After an hour on me: Mellowed out quite a bit. Still very sweet with a hint of vanilla & toffee. I still get whiffs of alcohol (definitely the hops) on occasion. Very pleasant sweetness good for cool weather days.

I am going to mix this with some other other oils. I think it will make a nice base scent. I will probably do vanilla, chocolate absolute, hazelnut coffee and a lemon sugar. All separate of course!

I recently received Gluttony as a freebie with one of my orders, and damn, am I glad I did! I never thought of myself as a foodie smell person, but my thought upon sniffing the imp was WHOA. The first wave of scent to hit reminded me of those sweet German roasted nuts, followed closely by whiffs of dark chocolate and gingerbread.

Gluttony has good staying power, but I find that by itself, it's too cloying for me. I've taken to wearing it with Hellfire (new formulation), and I think the tobacco and leather notes set off the bitter dark chocolate/praline/gingerbread combination really well. Together they're dark, dark, dark, decadent and sophisticated, like Chocolat meets The Ninth Gate.

I am definitely going to buy a bigger bottle of this one.

Edited by Sibyl

I had been pining to try Gluttony for such a long time, and suddenly it fell into my lap! The lovely Andrabell gifted me with an imp after seeing it on my wishlist.

Woo-hoo, this is some of the most intense stuff I have ever sniffed. It is amazingly concentrated and smells strongly of butter, hazelnut and brown sugar in the bottle and when first applied. And no fake foody smell either, this all smells so real and made my mouth water. I didn't pick up a chocolate note from it in these initial stages.

Unfortunately, this was giving my DH a headache, so I washed it off after about 30 minutes. It may be too intense for me to use straight as a perfume oil, but I can only imagine how wonderful Gluttony would be to scent massage bars, lotions, shampoo and conditioner - or even as a room scent. Dilution seems like a very wise idea and I will definitely try that if using it in my oil diffuser. There is nothing unpleasant about it - but yes, Beth has perfectly achieved the olfactory depiction of gluttony and it can result in sensory overload. Proceed with caution!

i loved this one wet, sweet yummy caramel and chocolate and all things sticky and tasty! I smelled like a bakery or something, but sadly the dry down leaves me with only chocolate. I mean, I like it, it's a sweet friendly chocolate (not like kali), but it's not what I was looking for, especially after being tempted by all the glory of gluttony when it was wet.

a good scent, but my skin seemed to eat everything but the chocolate :P

Gluttony is very yummy, and strong. Very sweet with it's carmel and chocolate smell...

It lasted a very long time on me, I put it on yesterday afternoon, and I could still smell it this morning.

Very good, though I don't know if I'll get a big bottle, but I'll keep the imp.

Gluttony is wonderful - perfect for today which has been snowy and cold!

In the bottle, Gluttony smelled to me of toasted nuts with a hint of caramel.

On my skin, it started to warm up instantly - I couldn't think of any other word besides warm! Within a few minutes, it smelled like a yummy, warm caramel roll, which then morphed into a cinnamon roll. I forgot to eat breakfast today, and while I was out and about I was practically gnawing off my wrists, they smell so tasty! And they even feel a bit warm - maybe that's all in my head.

I never picked out a coffee or chocolate note at all. Even now that I've read the other reviews, I sniff and can't find either one. On me, it's a warm, spicy, sweet scent, with the toasty/spicy balancing out the sweetness perfectly. And this scent has very good staying power. My only problem was that it conflicted with the turkey sandwich I was eating for lunch! :D But it is definitely a yummy, comfort scent for me. Wonderful! :P

Whoa!

Upon opening the vial, I smell the same melted-butter scent that I got most strongly from Jack. It's a salty, strong butter scent, with nuts underneath. (The butter made me sort of sick in Jack, but it doesn't seem to do that here.) When I put it on my skin, the butter remains strong, but the hazlenut comes up too, and then there's some coffee in the background. If I'm smelling chocolate, it's very well blended with the coffee because I almost can't detect it. I feared that this would be too sweet and make me ill, but it really isn't. It's decadent, sure - I'm picturing some sort of elaborate chocolate/coffee/caramel/hazlenut dessert, maybe in the form of something like a mudslide pie. But it's not sugary on me at all. It's buttery, nutty, and dark. I smell sweetness only when I directly sniff my arm - what comes up to my nose is just the dark, buttery smell.

I like this. I don't know if this is bigger bottle material for me, but it is definitely a delicious, fun scent that perfectly matches it's description and seems to work well on my skin.

:P I sooo wanted to like this. I usually adore foody scents, the sweeter the better, but this one was very weird on my skin.

In the vial it smelled foody indeed, but not sweet and yummy, but rather like something savoury. Olives perhaps?

On my skin the hazelnut showed itself quite prominantly and I think I'm smelling butter as well. Unfortunately it is rather bitter nuts and butter gone bad.

I find it so weird that I'm the only one getting this 'off' scent. I'm so gutted as I was sure I would love this one.

When I first got an imp of this one, I smelled it and it was really nice and very deliscious...! 'rich' is the best way i can describe it. I put a small dab on my wrist and it still smelled good for quite a while. Unfortunately, I'll never smell it in the same way again.

A little bit later, however, I put some behind my ears and *something* happened. I went to see a movie just after this, and the entire time, something I could smell made me feel sick to my stomach. I'm not quite sure what it is, but now whenever I sniff the imp, that same thing jumps out and i feel queezy remembering how ill it made me feel.

It was a sad, sad day. I was looking forward to loving this one.. definitely my biggest dissapointment so far.

This one's going to my grandmother for christmas. *le sigh*

Gluttony:

Wow! On me, a caramel, hazelnut scent is what wafts. If I sniff my wrists, I get the coffee and just a wee bit of the chocolate.

I didn't find that it was too sweet or cloying.

I really like this.

This reminds me of walking past the flavored coffees at the grocery store, which I love. It doesn't smell like coffee, just that wonderful amalgamation of flavors that hits you when you round the corner. Vanilla, English toffee, and caramel.

As it dries, it gets a bit...dusty? on my skin. Kind of a dry undertone--like it becomes vanilla dusting powder rather than a wet vanilla. If that makes any sense. I wonder if wearing this would curtail or exacerbate my sweet tooth.

Gluttony falls under the category of "like it, but it's not me."

There are two distinct scents while wet:

curry and butterscotch.

I've not had the courage to see this through from am to pm , but perhaps on a braver day...

It's a thick, heavy scent all right, and does seem to fit the concept of Gluttony. But mostly what I smell is "nutty and toasted". No chocolate or vanilla at all, and the sugary notes seem kind of carbonized, like caramelized sugar that's been left on the burner too long. And I could swear that there's a little of the same thing that smelled like mothballs in Queen down underneath it all -- could that be the hops, I wonder? I'll bet coffee lovers tend to like this scent.

Hasn't changed at all on drydown. R.'s reaction to it fresh was "Weird", and to it a couple of hours later was "Burnt". Oddly enough, I don't completely dislike it, but I sure as hell don't want to wear it! In fact, I'm going to scrub it off with alcohol and put something else on before hitting the parties tonight. Looks like another one for the swap pile.

ETA: It's Gluttony, all right! It was weird and wrong and I didn't really like it, but I was still oddly reluctant to scrub it off -- almost like the smell of it was addictive or something. Putting on Bordello felt like escaping. I would seriously NOT recommend this scent to anyone who has food issues of any kind.

Edited by stardreamer

I wasn't sure how this would be on me, since foody scents don't always work, but I had to try it anyway. OMG. Pure buttery hazelnut goodness. I couldn't wear this every day (and certainly wouldn't want to put it on before breakfast or it would kill me), but it is so fun. I don't get a lot of the chocolate scent, the hazelnut predominates, but it's OK with me that way. Not cloying at all, either.

I am very wary of chocolate scents but I received this as a freebie with my last order.

In the bottle: Very chocolately. I am feeling nervous.

On my skin: *drool* This is dark chocolate. And cookies. And nuts. And sweets. It smells like a dessert cart. Or a Godiva chocolate shop. It is delicious!

Drydown: Gluttony is incredibly soothing and warm and sweet. It makes me feel safe and comfortable, probably becasue I tend to eat more when I am anxious. I wore this to bed and slept better than I have all week.

It has excellent lasting power as it would only need reapplication after about 6 hours.

This smells very chocolatey-toffee in the imp. Gluttony indeed. Being overweight, I'm wary to try this on, but I tried it on nevertheless..

This smells burnt. Oh god, I'm being choked..I don't smell anything delicious, this is completely cloying and nauseating..syrupy sweet, sweet, sweet but BURNT.

WASHING OFF ASAP.

I'll chalk this one up to skin chemistry. UGH :P

First word that comes to mind with Gluttony: Thick.

Thick, rich, flavored-coffee scent. It's got the dry bitterness of coffee mixed with flavors of buttery toffee, caramel, vanilla...etc. Unfortunately it's all so jumbled in there that it's hard to distinguish between delicious flavors and a thick, sickly sweetness. It comes and goes for me.

Not a re-order.

Knowing that I don't normally like foody scents to begin with, I should've just left the cap on this one.

Of course I didn't.

In the bottle, it's a mighty powerfully sweet, almost cloying scent, like if you took great handfulls of German Chocolate Cake with the coconut-caramelly frosting stuff and just jammed it up your nose. Astoundingly sweet. Made my cavities hurt sweet.

On the skin, still too sweet and foody-smelling for my taste. It does calm down a little bit, and I can detect notes of coffee and vanilla in there, but the caramel-chocolatiness is just too much for me.

And so, I shall be passing this little love along... :P

Definatly a scent that lives up to its name. Gluttony, in the bottle, was everything I imagined it would be from the lab's description. Sugary, sweet and tooth-rotting. I loved it before I put it on.

My skin held the scent for a long time, I'd get wifts of it just by shifting around. Yum! It was still all sugary. Even hours later I still get a little of the scent without deliberatly raising my wrist to my nose.

Definatly a keeper - it reminds me of the holidays at my Gram's house, baking cookies and indulging in way to many sweets and snacks.

This evening's scent was Gluttony and, sadly, I am not in love. Honestly, I didn't expect to be ... of the "new to me" imps I ordered, I think this was the one I didn't really expect to like but wanted to try nevertheless.

BOTTLE: Interesting. Obviously very foody and maybe more appealing to eat than wear. I have a feeling it will morph bigtime upon application. I am not optimistic so I only go for light on the wrists.

WET: Very sweet but also very smoky if that makes sense ... not in a fire/ash way or incensey way but more a burnt sugar/toffee way. SO many notes are throwing themselves at me at once I am getting dizzy. I know my daughter and husband would HATE this and am glad they're not in here because they'd be making Mr. Yuck faces.

DRYDOWN: It just doesn't work for me. Too sweet, too candy store. To me, it smells like really strong cheap caramel-scented candles.

holy schnikies....

wow....

drolling here...

i am going to have a hard time reviewing this one as i must stop sniffing to type. did i say wow?

in the vial it was sweet sweet, buttery, toffee, almost could feel it sticking to the roof of my mouth.

on....wow!!!! the hazelnut is more prominent, but it still has the buttery toffee feel, chocolate, is the kicker! this one is stunning and delicious and definitely gluttonous.

First sniff from the bottle- OMGWTFBBQ? Buttery bread dough!?

After 10 minutes- Wow. Just wow! Gluttony smells just like baking bread! I was expecting it to be much sweeter. It is a more of a warm fresh out of the oven loaf of bread that has just been slathered with butter. There is ginger in this...the same ginger from Gingerbread Poppet, just a lot less of it.

After 30 minutes- I still smell hot buttered bread. This is amazing! A foody scent lovers dream come true!

Summery- Gluttony is so much like my preciousssss Gingerbread Poppet, I can't help but love it.

Must. Order. Vat. Now.