Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

jeez, another scent i've had for over a year but not reviewed!
sniffed from the bottle: not what i was expecting. this isn't the bright sweet smell of granulated white sugar and icing and Bakery.... this is the darker brown sugar, raw cane sugar, caramel and molasses. more savory than sugary. no chocolate, vanilla or buttercream... maybe pralines.
on skin: it gets sweeter, and occasionally i'll get whiffs of something that's very Cracker Jack like, but still no chocolate/vanilla/buttercream. i think i'm interpreting the hops in this as popcorn. this seems to be more of a butterscotch incense than anything else. it is a very interesting scent, but it isn't sweet in the least. not to me. i remember REALLY wanting to try this and when i swapped for my first imp of it i was so incredibly disappointed. i was really hoping for SWEET out of this...but i don't think the Lab really does sweet.

In the bottle: I want to pour this over ice cream!

On my skin: Oh, heaven. Sticky-sweet and thick, it smells fattening; the name is just perfect. And it lasted forever! About six hours after applying, my brother walked by, paused, eyed me suspiciously, and said, "Have you been... baking again?" :P

Got a partial frimp along with my decant order from Megank4--it's got the bygone label on it so it's been aged at least a year or so. Obviously from the description it was gonna be a sweet scent and I don't typically do sweets, but I figured why not, it's just a small bit left anyway.

Oooh, it IS yummy. It smells like a very expensive and exquisite chocolate truffle, richly chocolatey with like hazelnut liqueur wafting up from it. And by wafting I mean shooting up through the stratosphere---I put it on my knee to test and then rolled my jeans leg back down hoping to muffle it, but the throw is penetrating the fabric and still reaching my nose from over two feet away. :P Oh well, I'll just smell tasty the rest of the night!

In Vial :smells like vanilla sugar cookie or if your familiar with yankee Candles, exactly like 'christmas cookie'.

Wet: Still vanilla cookie but with a hint of gingerbread.

Drydown: Foody, sweet but not too sweet. Smells like vanilla baked good with just a touch of gingerbread spice.

Evoking Color: Light Brown

In the vial: cocoa, which reminds me of El Dia De Reyes only sweeter.

Wet on skin: cocoa and hazelnut

Dry on skin: dry, powdery, nutty cocoa - like a really good quality chocolate praline. I was expecting some thing much gooier and sweeter than this! This is a lot like El Dia De Reyes only nicer.

Gluttony just sounded so tempting. Not getting it would be like blasphemy.

In the bottle: I was definitely expecting chocolate. I almost thought that they had bottled the wrong perfume. All I smelled was something... nutty? Kind of like toffee. It smelled very heavy so I applied sparingly

Wet: Toffee! And maybe some coffee, too. This stuff is powerful.

Dry: Still smells like toffee and coffee to me. Amazingly, I don't really want to eat it. It reminds me more of very dark, sort of burnt coffee served black, the kind that smells fabulous but you wouldn't really want to drink. And perfect squares of golden toffee that look gorgeous on a small platter, but would probably knock your teeth out if you tried them. There's also something strangely woody underneath all this... the hops, maybe? nuts? I'm also getting very slight hints of caramel popcorn, like its being displayed in the back and not in your face. I was hoping for chocolate, which never surfaced. And a bigger vanilla kick, too. Meh.

Final verdict: It's yummy, I'll give you that, but I was really hoping for dark chocolate and sweetness and vanilla and buttercream. The smell of burnt coffee and toffee is indeed delicious, but not really my cookie. I'm sure it would be perfect for those looking for that lovely dark coffee smell, though :P

*edit*

Is my nose adjusting?? I dunno, but I'm getting whiffs of chocolate and caramel now. Somebody said they smell like Butterfingers and I'm inclined to agree. Also Reese's Peanut Butter Cups -- mmm. There's still that honeyed toffee note that makes me feel guilty every time I smell myself, so I still don't think this is an everyday scent. But I'm liking it more and more!

Also Snake Oil + Gluttony = good.

*edit again*

I forgot to say that this on my clothes smells absolutely rancid. Gotta be careful when putting on shirts.

Edited by InvinciChicken

It's not listed, but Gluttony on me is almost pure honey. It's not a bad scent, but not what I was expecting. Still, I'll keep this and see if it ages into something better.

Very sweet and chocolaty. Seems warm to me, probably from the toffee and caramel notes. You can definitely detect the hazelnut and pralines as well. Not something I would wear, as I'm not into bakery scents, but if you like chocolate, etc., this would be lovely.

Very very very sweet... Now, I have a sweet-tooth, but this might be a bit much. Certain moods require this amount of sweet, but not a whole lot! Not to say this isn't a great scent; it sure is! It'll make you crave all sorts of gluttonous foods!!

Every note made a strong appearance on me, and like I said before, it lives up to it's namesake... It faded quickly though, but the bitter chocolate, hops, almonds, and a bit of a burnt caramel smell dominated at drydown. The hops, pralines, and hazelnut remain for a bit longer, before it turns dusty and vanishes. While fresh, though, it's definitely the sweetest thing I've ever smelled! Very heavy, and very strong.

Just got my first pack of imps a week or so ago (squee!!), and here is my first review!

Gluttony

Out of the bottle: OMG. Rich expensive toffees---the kind that stick to your fingers and your mouth and are impossible not to have more of, with a hint of buttercream. Almost nauseating, it's so powerful---but in a good way. More, please.....

Wet: Still the toffee smell, though it dies down a bit to more of a butterscotchy/caramelly sweetness; not so overpowering as before. I'm starting to smell hazelnut now, which is a scent I don't normally care for. Combined with everything else, however, it's delicious. Rich and creamy and decadent; I can't stop sniffing my wrist! This is divine!

After 20 minutes or so: Still smells similar to how it did wet, though I get less of the individual scents now; it's become a marriage of deliciousness on my wrist. I almost want to lick myself, to see if I taste as nummy as I smell. My 12-yr-old son sniffed me, and told me I smell like hazelnut coffee.

I love this scent, though i do not think I will be buying a bottle of it; it's just too powerful for everyday wear. I'll likely get a couple of imps to have around, though.

Something tells me this would be a lovely "comfort scent" for PMS-y moments.....

I love the rich sweetness of Elegba and Red Lantern, and read that Gluttony is good if you like either of those: but alas, this is all yankee candle on me, and wayyy too rich, even for my tastes :P

Guh.

Just opened my order and the first scent on was Gluttony. Unfortunately, I did not take into account that I'd just showered and used some floral-scented conditioner but I hope that doesn't change the test much.

In the imp: hmm... light toffee and hazelnut liqueur.

Wet: I got a weird gingerbread vibe with a hint of caramel toffees. It was pretty light so I was tempted to start the slathering.

Dry: No need for slathering! This was dark, rich chocolate with caramel swirls on it. It gets stronger and stronger and some sort of honey scent comes out. Every now and then I get a whiff of the heavenly pralines. Nothing is too sweet, but everything is decadent and kind of intense.

I'm kind of drooling as I let the scent waft up to me. I'm definitely keeping and wearing the imp (complete comfort scent; not totally appropriate for the summer though) but there's no need for a bottle. It's really ridiculously rich, which I think is good except for the part where I kind of want to eat myself now.

Wow, this is a hitter and a little goes a long way - I was hoping more for the chocolate and am getting much burnt carmel almost a boozy note, like a boozy hazelnut fudge. Too sharp for me.

It does smell much like Cockaigne to me, a good way to get that fix if you are a fan.

eta: I've had this on for 6 hours and it is all I can smell, the scent hasn't morphed at all and the stay and throw is exceptional. It's a shame that I still don't like it...

Edited by gysysingleton

This is like...Jack, mixed with Sugar Skull, mixed with something chocolatey...SO STRONG. And so much of everything!

I've tried it before and did not like it much, but this time...the Sugar Skull sugar mints are the strongest smell here. They make this scent a lot less heavy. I think I actually like it! But a little goes a loooooong way.

In the imp: Wow, lots of toffee and chocolate!

Wet: I can definitely smell the vanilla and the buttercream and it's delicious. It's also very sugary! I feel like eating my arm now, haha.

Dry: The caramel appears stronger now and it smells like hazelnuts with dark chocolate.

Overall: Sinfully good!

Wow! This is some good stuff. I'm a definite "foodie" so this is a perfect scent for me. It's a very thick, rich toffee scent full of lots of other yummy things. Not something I think I could wear every day, but perfect for those days when I want to smell completely edible. :P

Wet in imp:

chocolate/toffee scented candle

Wet on skin:

still candle, cocoa/toffe/nut/caramel… and cinnamon?

Drydown:

What I perceived as cinnamon morphed into a spicy floral I would assume is the hops. I smell like a Yankee Candle store in the mall.

Wearlength:

Stayed on overnight, and it remained very strong.

Final impression:

An hour later, I don't like it. Way later, I still don't like it. I like Yankee Candles, but I don't want to be mistaken for one.

I described Gluttony to my husband as "All that is good and sweet in this world!", I love the warm sweet scent it reminds me of ice cream, and candy, and cookies and just all the treats that I love. It has lasted for several hours on my skin and is almost as strong as when I first put it on, in fact my husband even asked if I had put more on not to long ago.

I do believe that this is one I am going to have to buy a big bottle of!

My first impression just from sniffing the unopened vial was TOFFEE. Toffee, toffee, more toffee... and is that chocolate? On my skin, the toffee and chocolate were prominent and very mouth watering, mellowing as it dried until the buttercream came to the fore. I'll admit, I'm in love. I'm also jonesing for a Hershey Bar and a caramel cream right now... Definitely up for a nice, fat bottle of this, especially on a nasty PMS kind of day.

After dodging my friends, every one of which tried to eat my arm while I was wearing this scent, I was able to write up a review from behind locked (and barred-perfume zombies are not a pretty sight) doors.

A little background: I bought an imp of this in hopes of finding something to match Hearth '05 without waiting for winter to come around again.

In the bottle: Butterscotch is my first impression. Nice, and definitely making me hungry, but I'm afraid it will be too foody.

Wet: Wow, buttery! But also with nuts and pastry, maybe and something with just a hint of bitterness in there. It adds a nice complexity.

Dry: Holy wowzers, this one stays for days if I don't wash it off. It just continues to get darker and more lovely, with the buttery-pastry scent lifting it all up. Yum.

I tried tihs on my friend Julia as well. On her, the hops came out much more strongly, making it a much more complex and somewhat bitter scent on her than on me. It's still nice though, with the sweetness of the butter lurking below the surface of the hops.

Really lovely, either way. Definitely a worthy general catalog replacement for Hearth '05, and I will most definitely be getting a 5 ml of it, when I've got the money. Mmm.

Gluttony is heavy and thick and so amazingly rich and sweet. Not to be confused with a sugar sweet, gluttony is the heavy sweet or caramel made with butter and brown sugar. To me this isn't an innocent little girl sweet, this is a grown up sweetness. It makes me think of very very expensive desserts in small quantities.

For me gluttony smells the same in bottle, wet, dry and after 5 hours. It's lovely in that sense because sometimes i don't want a perfume that morphs on me. Gluttony is for cold weather, it's a snuggle comfort scent. I am a total slatherer, i rub oil on my wrists, neck, chest and up my forearms. The i apply oil on whatever shirt i am wearing for the day for good measure. My room always smells amazingly of gluttony after i wear it until the laundry hamper is taken down stairs.

I don't wear gluttony all too often, but when i do i love it.

In The Bottle

Buttercream and toffee

On Application

Buttercream and hazelnut

Dry Down

As I have mentioned in previous reviews, the caramels and toffees tend to smell rancid on my skin so I was wary of trying this. The hazelnut is really prominent initially with the buttery toffee and caramel. 5 minutes in there is a spiciness that I can't pick from the list of notes, perhaps the dark chocolate? The buttery elements are being kept from going rancid which is a blessing however this is a too sweet and foody for me.

Rating (0-5)

In the vial: Dark sugar and pepper, specifically white pepper.

Wet: Sweet sugar and nuts- toffee? Maybe a bit of cinnamon. And still that pepper.

Dry: Sweet hazelnut, the cinnamon is stronger, and the peppery edge has a bite like beer.

After a couple hours: sweet pepper, cinnamon & (as asserted by my roomie) potpourri

I'm not sure if I like this or not. It certainly was not the bakery shop scent I was hoping for. :P

Yum! It smells more brown sugary in the bottle, then sort of like burnt cookies on my arm... but after it dried a bit it smelled amazing, like hazelnut toffee covered in butter and brown sugar. Wow.

ADDED June 27:

I hope I can add one for my brother? He's my most recent BPAL ghoul. :P He's begging me to buy him a huge bottle of this and actually licked his arm several times before trying to lick the sample stick! O_O He wants me to find out if there's anything actually NOT good to eat in this oil, lmao. >_<

He rated it 10/10.

I have been curious about this, so I finally ordered an imp of it.

At first it seems very strong, almost overpowering. That only lasts for a very short time and what is left in the drydown is a chocolaty, caramel scent with cinnamon and a touch of smoke. I can see where some people smell gingerbread. Not as sweet as I feared, and that is good. However, my husband didn't really like it and prefers the new Thirteen 08. I will definitely keep my imp for those PMS times.