Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Green herbs slithering through mint, lime and lavender.

In the bottle: Mint and lavendar right off the bat...when they blnded though it addly smelled like chocolate mint! Which is kind of nice but not at all what I was expecting.

Wet: mint, lavendar, and once again chocolate...doesn't smell particularly green on me even though other people have mentioned it

Dry: There's a new note that I can't quite name. Slightly floral and smells a bit like soap. Still the lavendar and mint. I actually like this more than I was expecting but it's not a scent I'd actually wear. Could be a nice room scent though. It makes me have chocolate cravings though!

This is mint. It is very mint. It is so very, very mint. It is, in fact, MINT.

It's a fairly nice-smelling mint, but I associate mint with toothpaste, and have no desire to smell like it. Anyone who does, though, this is the scent for them!

This is one of the sharpest scents I have tried, but it actually works. I get a layer of very fresh, tart lime over a layer of cool, green mint. It's a very unusual scent combo, and smells, in a way, like Windex... but in a GOOD way, if that makes sense. Like something you'd pay through the nose to get to clean your house with, because it smells so fantastic. It's great for warm summer days when you want to feel cool and fresh.

Initially I smell mint. Once on, the mint blends with herbs and lavender. There’s something there that makes this an even colder scent, I think it’s the citrus scent. After its been on for a bit, the other, non-mint elements are quite strong and it reminds me of fresh-cut grass and being outside. The longer it's on, the more it reminds me of weed-whacking.

Interesting scent; I think that Beth did a great job of interpreting Envy and beyond that, it's fresh, green and light. Glad I got to sniff it but it's not a bottleworthy scent for me.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Lavender.

Preconceived notions: I'm a little wary about the lime and lavender, but the herbs and mint could be lovely.

In the imp: *sigh* Lavender. A little mint, sure, but mostly? Lavender.

On skin, wet: Minty lavender. Smells like... well, urine. Lavender tends to smell like cat urine on me, and mint doesn't help. No, it doesn't help a bit.

On skin, dry: Rotting, foul and urine-like lavender, sharp lime and mint. Oh no, this is not good. It's very tart and sour. Dry, it reminds me of Mad Hatter — might the mint be pennyroyal? You'd think it'd be listed as "pennyroyal" instead of just "mint" if so, but it does smell like pennyroyal. Either way, the lavender's ruined it for me.

Conclusion/Notes: Does lavender ever work for me? Seems not.

Envy - Oh wow, Beth took the saying, "Green with envy" to heart with this blend. This is a green, green, green blend! The first scent I notice after applying is mint leaf. It's fresh and thick, just like mint sprigs plucked from the plant. Behind the mint there are bitter, green herbs and lavendar blend together, reminding me distinctly of Somnus -- but Somnus with a sharp squeeze of lime. I could swear that one of those herbs is cilantro! Wow, this is a really sharp, edgy, and bitter blend, and while I don't find it appealing on myself as a fragrance, I can imagine that a lot of people would like it, particularly those who enjoy herbal and mint blends. I'm going to hang on to my imp because I can see the possibility of there being a situation where this blend would be absolutely perfect on me despite not finding it appealing for every day use. It has great throw and solid staying power.

Imp: Mint and - is that violets? It's not lavender. Interesting.

Wet: MINT. Spearmint, with its softer edges, but still a knockdown punch of mint.

Drydown: Minty still, but lavender has come out to play and there's a definite tinge of lime.

1 hour: A more blended green - I can pick out the mint and lime, but there's something warm underneath, plus a sunwarmed grassy note. It reminds me of Thai food without smelling like it. The violet scent is back too; it's got to be a skin chemistry thing as nobody else seems to be getting violets from Envy.

3 hours: Very faint. If I had the imp with me, I'd have reapplied at about 2.5 hours.

Verdict: Winner, though more reapplication than I want. I'll retry it over moisturizer as I have dry skin. This is something I'd wear to work; it just smells competent and is very energizing. *adds to big-bottle list*

Bottle: mint, primarily, followed by the lime and lavender in equal portions.

Wet: I can catch a bare hint of another green-ness, but I can't identify what it might be.

Dry: celery? uh...the lime plus the herb-I-recognize-but-can't-name seems to be going fresh-cut celery. odd, but not unpleasant.

Later: celery - salted celery. Weird. And now I'm hungry!

bottle:

mint

wet:

mint, some lavender…

dry:

nice, not very strong mint, nice for summer

overall:

nice

rating: 7/10

At first sniff, this is very strongly cool, green and minty, and seems like it would be just the thing to cool you down on a hot summer's day -- a bit like The Mock Turtle's Lessons, but with a slightly bitter, astringent, herbal undercurrent that keeps it from being too much like peppermint candies.

But as it settles in, the bitterness becomes a bit more pronounced and it becomes less pleasant. And then, inside of a half-hour or so, it fades away almost entirely. Oh well.

Grade: C

Frimp of Envy, woot!

In the vial: Herbs? Check. Mint? Check. Lime? Check. Lavender? Check.

Wet: I smell like evergreen winterfresh bubblegum.

Dry Down: Herbal goodness with a touch of sweet. Like a mojito without the alcohol.

I was dreading trying Envy given the description: Slithering Herbs (wtf)? I was worried about toothpaste and chewing gum, but my imp is very herbal with plenty of lime so I like this much more than I expected.

This is a really nice, refreshing minty herbal scent. I'm kind of sad I waited this long to test my imp, because it would have been a perfect summer scent and it's already September! I think it would be really nice made into a body mist for the hot weather. Maybe next summer!

Oh, and I can't smell the lavender, which makes me extremely happy.

In the bottle: Blech! Mint and lavendar. Two notes which I don't like very much unless they're barely noticeable.

Wet on skin: Now it's mint and grass clippings and weeds. It smells like a mowed lawn. Some people like this. I don't.

Dry on skin: Still a minty, freshly-mowed lawn. :P

Verdict: I wanted very, very much to like this, especially since I went and splurged on bottles of all seven sins. But it almost makes me want to gag. Luckily, I have a friend who'd *love* this.

I :P frimps.

To me, Envy is another scent like Dirty, where the fragrance embodies the opposite qualities of its name. I can't even explain the complexity of this scent. In the vial it's a blend of mints and herbs that puts me in mind of a mint Julep. I don't smell any lime, but lavender is there in the background as pure herbal, no floral in it whatsoever. It's bracing and clean but very feminine. On my skin it suddenly morphs into the scent of herb garden gone to seed and flower. So incredibly sweet! It's nothing like it was wet - I couldn't identify any notes in it if I had to guess. Unique! Envy smells really good on me, cold and innocent (there's some childhood association with this fragrance but I don't know why) and fresh and clean.

Unfortunately, my thirsty skin just drinks Envy. (What does that say about my character, I wonder...?) The scent is totally worthy of frequent reapplication, though!

I think I'm going to splurge on a 5 ml of this one next summer.

In the bottle: it's a roller bottle so it's not really easy to say. It's green, mostly herbal and maybe a little aquatic as well.

On my skin: Oooh. Pretty. Very fresh. Herbs, many herbs. I'm unable to identify them. Some lavender underneath.

After a couple of hours: nothing :/ It's very volatile and went poof far too soon :S

Verdict: I like this a lot. It's very different from my usual loves but it's so pretty and refreshing.

The downpoint is I have to reapply very often.

Envy-

In Bottle: Weeeeeeds. Oh, that's interesting.

Wet: Weeds, and the herbal-ness of this comes out.

Dry: Okay, when I need to smell like grass, heat-warmed grass, I'll remember this one. I don't think it'll be often, though.

Overall: Novel, yes, but not for me.

straight sniff from imp is deep, angry, dark greenery :P

once applied....lots and lots of mint....the mint that grows in your

garden that you pick for muddling in a mojito...it calms down after

5 minutes or so and gets very subdued...i get a ton of lavender at

this point....lovely and very well done :D

Edited by sookster

Oh God... no words to describe how much I love this scent. :P Now, this is one of those ones I probably would have tried eventually, since it was one of the Seven Deadlies, but the initial description really didn't appeal to me that much or grab me at all, so I put off requesting it as part of one of my imp packs. Enter the frimp I got with my last order.

This scent is delicious! It's very green, very crisp, and very very fresh smelling.... like a margarita kind of... one of my all-time favorite drinks... or maybe a mojito. It also wakes me up and gives me that "alert" feeling I like, since I'm such a low energy person normally. This has quickly become my favorite scent to wear when I'm writing, as it really helps me concentrate. The lime, the mint... it's all working. And then there is the lavendar that ties it all together and makes it a very pretty scent as well.

This is also a great unisex scent. My boyfriend loves this as much as I do, and lately we've been fighting over this poor little imp, we both love it so much. I can see that I am going to have to order a bottle or two STAT. Seriously... out of all the BPALs I've tried, this has easily fought it's way up to number two or three, and now it's got it's eye on the coveted "number one favorite" spot. The more I wear it, the more deeply I fall in love with it. Wonderful surprise you were, Envy. Well done, labbies! :D

In the Vial: Lovely, fresh green scent. There's a hint of fresh mown grass in it, though the primary scents are lavender and lime. The mint does not come through very strongly to me, but there's a hint of it mingling with the green scent of grass.

Wet: Delicious! Like lavender still on the plant and wet from spring rain. The mint comes through a bit more here, and adds to the freshness of the scent. The lime is lovely and gives it a bit of a bite. I wish it had stayed like this the entire time it was on.

Drydown: The lavender is the primary scent now, though the green notes still keep it smelling fresh an preventing the somewhat powdery scent that lavender sometimes has. This is one of the nicest lavender perfumes I have worn.

Dry: Sadly largely faded after an hour, though there is still a hint of lavender. I wish this scent would have stayed with me longer. It's very light though, so I may just try applying more of it.

Overall Impression: A lovely, green lavender scent, fresh and very springy. Too bad about the quick fade though. I'll definitely use the rest of the vial I have, and if I can find a way to make the scent last longer, I'll probably pick up an imp.

I'm not usually fond of lavendar, but i love mint and lime, so I thought I'd give this one a try. Wet, this is a pretty even mix of lime and mint. this is interesting. as it dries, the lime recedes a bit... the scent also starts to get slightly greener, I guess the herbs are making their appearance. hmm, sort of interesting, but i liked it better wet... not sure about this one, may have to try it again later...

Very green! I'm getting mostly lime, with a dash of mint and herbal. Lavender is quiet here - guess it wasn't green enough? :P Lime is about the only citrus I can stand, and it's quite refreshing here.

In the bottle:

Earthy, earthy mint - mint in an organic mint tea way, not mint in a peppermint candy cane way. A little bit of lavender sweetens it. The lime blends right into the peppermint and it's barely noticeable, or a figure of my imagination. I would never pick it out on my own.

Wet:

Very herby, in an earthy way. I can definitely get the lavender, and a hint of mint, and it's very difficult but I can just barely get a touch of lime.

Dry down:

I'm going to say that it smells like freshly cut lavender, including the scent of freshly cut green plant and not just the scent of flower, with just a little bit of mint and lime in the background. I'm surprised at how floral it's getting on me. It does still smell very herby, though.

Final thoughts:

It's very pretty and I'm glad I have an imp, but I'm not sure how often I would wear it. It reminds me a little bit of my grandmother's house in the country, probably because her summer herb gardening is about as close as I get to fresh cut plants.

In the bottle it smells fresh, very minty/herby and can slighty smell the lavender. On me it smells more herby, maybe a bit cleaner-ish, or even like a room spray. Can't smell the lime really and I can barely smell the lavender. I'm not liking this one much, I might give it a second go and hope that it doesn't smell like a cleaner.