Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Green herbs slithering through mint, lime and lavender.

oooh this one smells delicious, soft herbal smells with an icy, strong mint shooting through it. when i tried the imp i kept smelling my wrist trying to decide whether i like it or not.

i think envy is one of the most interesting scents i've tried. it's relaxing, cooling, and fresh. i still didn't keep it though, because it's just not me. i admire it's complexity though.

In the vial: lime, lavender, and mint

Wet: Initially sugared lime, and then the lavender and green scents combined to remind me of the tropics. It stayed freshly mowed lawn and sugared lime until the end, but faded very quickly.

This is lovely and zesty and fresh, but doesn't linger long enough for me to really enjoy it.

I thought this would be mainly mint, but actually the herbs dominate. The mint gives it a nice chill. I didn't really get any discernable lavender. It's nice, an unusual scent, but I didn't love it. So I swapped it.

Ranking: "like"

In the bottle:

A very strong whiff of mint, with an herb punch beneath.

Wet:

The mint still rules, but there's an herbal uprising...

Drydown:

Ugh, within a few minutes this morphed into something very strongly herbal on me, and unpleasant. After a moment I realized it was the smell of my friend's house, where he's always burning a particular incense I don't like very much, and also does sage smudges (I don't much like that type of sage scent either). The mint was just awful on top, like brushing your teeth too soon after you eat, and between that and the herbs I knew I didn't want to smell like this all day.

I washed it off quickly with lemon soap, but -- of course! -- it was a scent I didn't like and so it was a scent that stuck around. Now with added fake lemon. Great. :P

Into the swap bin with this one.

Edited by sophia_helix

I'm coming to find out that, against my wishes, mint doesn't really like me. At least not the mint in ultraviolet or envy. :P

Envy smelled wonderful in the imp. It is so fresh and minty (I wasn't getting any of the lime or lavendar) that I'd be hard pressed to think of a better scent for hot summer days. Another thing I'm coming to find out, especially after reading so many reviews on scents that I've tried, is that for the most part my skin likes to 'skip to the end' of what seems like an otherwise fairly lengthy process for y'all. If it's going to turn powder, BAM, it's powder. If it's going to turn soapy it does almost instantly. Sadly, that's what happened here. After about 30 seconds the mint vanishes and I'm left smelling soapy. Granted, it's fresh, decent smelling handsoap, but nothing that I'd think about intentionally trying to smell like. *le sigh*

Ah, mint...I love you so. Why must you thwart me?

About 30 seconds of mint, and then we're all down to a sweet, lime-tinged lavender, which may serve some ritual purpose.

And that's all she wrote.

In the imp: Warm greens, chilly mint

Wet: strong peppermint smell with the warm greens coming forward a little better.

Dry: citrusy green peppermint

Overall: Was expecting something a bit more electrifying, but it was okay. Probably swap away if anyone would like it.

Got this as a frimp.

Mint! woohoo! Very minty, and I was surprised to find there was anything else in it when I looked it up, but it makes sense, because there is a sharp underlying greeness, a freshness, that was more than "minty freshness" (sorry, I couldn't resist that!). Hence, the lime.

Luckily for me, I don't get much of the lavender which is a surprise because my skin usually amps it up. Instead I get a lovely spearmint (the dominant mint to my nose) and lime....

Don't think I'll wear it a lot, but it is cooling and pretty, and I'll use up my imp.

And it is, somehow, suitable for envy....though I think of mint as a happy scent...

In the bottle: Sharp and aromatic. I get a general green scent, then the lavender, then a whiff of the lime.

Wet: It mellows out a little, and goes a bit sweet, but still aromatic. Lavender and lime are two scents that I find very theraputic, which is why I was interested in this one. So far, so good. A very calming scent, while still a bit energized.

Drydown: Unfortunately it mellows out a little too much and starts to smell like fancy soap. I'm keeping this one around to try on my temples the next time I have a migraine; otherwise it's destined for the swap pile. Le sigh.

Tangy sour mint. Almost medicinal or like eucalyptys when wet (not necessarily in a bad way). However, it fades very fast on me--doesn't last long at all. This one doesn't do a lot for me but it's a nice way of interpreting the concept.

Envy

Another one of my "now where did this one come from?" imps that I tried before the move, but never posted about... I'll update from my spreadsheet when I get home.

In the bottle:

Everyone else seems to be getting lavender. Not sure if it's the cat's litter box in the bathroom that's been throwing me off, but I'm not getting lavender. I'm picking up a green, vegetable garden scent.

Wet/drydown:

Green! Green green green green GREEN! I have a very clear mental image of a slightly woody stalk snapped in half, sap on my fingers. It seems like this should be a sharp green, but it's not. The lime is not turning into Pledge like lemon does on me... it's not really in the forefront, but it's there, keeping the green from getting aggressive. I really like this!

Later:

Hm. Green is gone. Now I have a very, very light (read: will fade away in a few hours) clean soapy smell. This is a different soap from what I get from blends with "ozone" notes, it's more earthy, a little sweeter... but definitely soap.

I'll followup with lasting power notes when I get home and look up from whom I received this imp... but it looks like this one is not for me.

This one was nicer than I thought it was going to be albeit it lasted about 2 minutes on me before fading into oblivion! Minty scents usually just don't work on me but this one was quite refreshing and nice. Another for the swapsie pile!

I can't believe I've never reviewed Envy. I could have sworn I typed up a review for this, I must not have posted it though. Envy is one of those scents I never in a million years would have picked for myself, but the lab sent an imp my way, and I am ever so grateful. I'm just not that keen on mint, it's nice enough, and I loved the mint plants I had in my old garden and smelling their fragrance on the wind, but I'm not that big on smelling it on myself.

Envy is very strongly mint, not sweet mint either. In combination with the lime, lavender and herbs, Envy is the perfect summer scent. Envy is the only thing I wanted to wear during the summer when it got so stifling hot out that I just wanted to curl up and die. It's so cool and refreshing. It's also the perfect scent to wear when I'm feeling blah and don't want to do anything, but have things that need to get done. It's the perfect kick in the pants. Scent wise it's dry mint with tart limes and a hint of lavender and herbs. I did not realize until I smelled this how much I love the smell of limes, but I can now say with out a doubt that it's my favorite citrus. Come spring I will be ordering a bottle of this to get me through next summer. I love Envy, love it.

Hmm. This is very interesting, but as others have said, it's got this sour lime-y undertone that doesn't work for me. It's a very fruity lime. As a whole the scnet is very green, fresh, sharp, almost medicinal, with mint being dominant. I can love a little mint, but this is very minty, and aside from the sourness I'm just not sure about mint as a body scent. We have a mint oil bug spray (think eco-Raid) and although I do like the smell of that, I don't wear it, and also now this scent reminds me of spraying bugs, which is not Beth's fault of course.

I'm not trying Envy at the optimal time of the year, though; it's quite cold out, and this is really a summer scent. Oddly enough, it was throwing all right for a few moments and now it seems to have greatly reduced, almost disappeared, just fifteen or twenty minutes later. It dries down to a soapy sour lime that's very close to the wrist and hard to smell.

I didn't get a chance to check for the lavender before it went away!

On my scale, a 2.5 out of 5.

Edited by Undine

Wet this is sharp and herbal. When first on it smells clean like mint and maybe white florals. Freesia? I can also smell very light grapes. This is a very faint scent and only lasts a couple of hours. Doesn’t really do much for me.

Do I ever love this! It is SO clean and 'sparkly'. It has the remarkable ability to make my hot flashes feel better, too! It's cool, refreshing and makes me smell like I've been outside walking though an herb garden while drinking limeade. What an inspired mix- this one's definitely big bottle worthy!

Imp

The scent is clean and sparkling. The mint smells very refreshing instead of dominating.

On

Wow. As mint and lavender are both strong, I am surpised they complement each other. The result is a very sparkling, green, and herbal. The lime is starting to rise up and I think this one is going to give cathode a serious run for its money!

Dry

This is such a refreshing blend. It seems a bit light on the dry down, but I am not ready to let it go yet.

I had been looking for a nice lavender blend that didn't smell astringent when Beth sent an imp of Envy along with my order. This lovely scent fit my needs perfectly.

I was actually surprised because the name Envy would normally put me off of trying a scent. This a delicate blend of lavender and mint. One me the mint fades quickly leaving a gentle lavender scent. I like to wear it when I'm stressed, and lavender is known for it's calming properties. If you want a calming scent or you love lavender, you should check out Envy.

Envy is my new go-to blend when I'm feeling icky. There's just something so very refreshing and comforting about the lime/lavender/mint combo. It's sort of like a minty Quietude.

This would be awesome in the summertime, when it's too hot and sticky to move. This might make a nice summer sleep oil...

In the vial: Herby peppermint and lavender, with sharp lime undernearth. The peppermint is on top, with the lavender making it a little bitter.

Wet: Mostly the same- cool, cool mint and herbs, with sour lime. It's...different. I don't dislike it.

Dry: This fades quickly. It gets softer, less sharp, more lavender.

Verdict: This is wonderfully cooling, and I'm definitely keeping it around for hot weather. It's very, very interesting, but I don't think it's really me. It doesn't seem to last very long or have much throw, either.

Envy

In the imp: green! It’s mainly green herbs, but bits of lavender, mint and lime are also in there as well.

Wet on skin: now it smells like a florist’s shop, this is pure chlorophyll.

Dry: yup, this is so green! It smells like I’ve stepped into a florist’s, or have rubbed some crushed leaves on my skin-it’s such a realistic green scent, wet, moist, with a definite feel of spring. The mint adds a coolness but doesn’t smells blatantly minty, the lavender is just barely detectable, but there’s no trace of lime.

After a while: huh, what’s going on here? Seems there’s a floral note poking out here, it seems, reminiscent of lily of the valley or honeysuckle. I have no idea where that comes from-I think it’s the way my skin reacts with some of Beth’s ‘green’ notes as I get a similar reaction with some of the greener tarot blends. No more mint, lime or lavender, just this incredible green with a little hint of spring floral. Like leaves drenched by rain-in fact I’d imagine that may be what a rainforest smells like. It hasn’t soaped out on me like some green scents do, either, but it’s quite sharp and a bit astringent.

Verdict: this is probably the greenest BPAL I’ve smelt so far. It’s like pure chlorophyll, like crushed wet leaves, like all the cut stems and leaves that fragrance a florist’s shop. Lavender, mint and lime flit through this at the beginning, but then it’s all about the GREEN. I also get something slightly floral which is odd as no florals (apart from lavender) are listed in here, but it’s very natural and doesn’t smell soapy or fake on me-but whilst I quite like it, it’s not a favourite. I’ll keep the imp for any time I feel like smelling greeeeeeeeeen.

This one smells much the same in vial as it does on wet. Minty with some herbs. But I'm not quite sure if it's more of a foody mint or crisp, clean mint. It goes inbetween. It was quite lovely indeed.

Drydown, it definitely has more green notes coming out. But this isn't a bad thing. It still smells wonderful.

But alas I'm sad to inform that much like Dana O'Shee, this one had completely disappeared from me within minutes. I hate when I find a nice scent that has no lasting power on me. I really wish it did, because it was great while it lasted.

Ah well, off to the swap pile ye goes.

At first sniff - a very bright green mint. Sharp and strong, no mistaking the greeness of this one. The herbals are the undertones at first, but on the drydown they become the top notes and the mint fades to something a little more pleasant. The lime and lavendar starts to show itself as well. Not really my style, I'm unfortunately not a big mint fan. But lovely just the same for all you minties out there